• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

31 Days of Horror 4 |OT| The October Movie Marathon

I have an older sister. It just always seemed to me like a movie that really needed to be watched during that awkward highschool time and if you missed that, it would lose a lot of its impact.

Do you think it would still hold up for an adult viewer today?

I was 32 when the film came out, and I really enjoyed it. I rewatched it quite recently and still really enjoyed it.

Divius

2XMIFp5.jpg

#27 - E tu vivrai nel terrore! L'aldilà AKA The Beyond
This 80s Fulci is just awesome and I had a blast watching it. The plot may not always necessarily make sense and the weird dub is somewhat off-putting at times, but it has fantastic gore, great atmosphere and a superb ending. I am not all too familiar with Fulci, but I think next year I might be asking for recommendations from his filmography.. 8/10

Film 32 – Audition (Amazon Instant Video UK)

Deeper, deeper…

TlSHnHB.png

I’ve heard about Audition before, and it’s often been recommended to me, but I’ve never got around to watching the film all the way through. Hearing that a Hollywood remake is in the works I thought I better check out the original properly this month. And what a fantastically messed up movie it is.

The build-up through the first two acts is slow and beautifully done, with just a few small hints at the horror about to be unleashed in the ferocious final half hour. I fear that the scene where
the guy in the bag feasts greedily on the bowl of Asami’s vomit
is going to stay with me for a long time.

Verdict: Brilliantly disturbing and one of the best films I’ve watched this month. It’s hard to see how a remake is going to improve on this.

2XMIFp5.jpg

This 80s Fulci is just awesome and I had a blast watching it. The plot may not always necessarily make sense and the weird dub is somewhat off-putting at times, but it has fantastic gore, great atmosphere and a superb ending. I am not all too familiar with Fulci, but I think next year I might be asking for recommendations from his filmography.. 8/10

You saw his best, rest go downhill big time in quality.

Steamlord

You should totally see Ginger Snaps, Thirsty, especially if you ever grew up with sisters.

Seconded.

I have an older sister. It just always seemed to me like a movie that really needed to be watched during that awkward highschool time and if you missed that, it would lose a lot of its impact.

Yes. It's not just a high school movie, it's a really great werewolf movie (albeit with some cheap effects) with really great characters.

Penguin

Film #30

Dracula: Dead and Loving It - I don't know why, but this film never really clicked with me. It never went to complete farce/parody territory or at least felt that way, but was too silly to be a serious attempt. Maybe it's just dated humor.

One more and I'll make it!

I feel like something bad is going to happen to me. I feel like something bad has happened, and I just don't know it yet. - Alice Palmer

Lake Mungo

This was a rewatch for me, having first seen it during last year's marathon. I won't put it on my annual rewatch list, but I think I see it making appearances every other year.

The set up is simple: a young girl, Alice Palmer, has tragically drowned during a family swimming trip. A short time later disturbances begin around the home of the family, and "this is a record of those events", as it goes with faux documentaries.

Lake Mungo is, first and foremost, the story of a tragedy. There is palpable feeling of sadness draped over the entire film, as we grow closer to a family deep in grieving for their daughter. Through their grief they start to learn more about Alice, and some of the secrets she kept. How she showed different facets of herself to different people, at once outgoing and closed off, constantly smiling but with deep fears bubbling behind the facade, an open book filled with secrets. I have a daughter near her age, and the complex portrait of Alice feels entirely authentic. I know my daughter, and yet I don't.

It's that authenticity that helps Lake Mungo work as effectively as it does. It's priorities are first to establish the tragedy of what happened, that blanket of deep sadness and grief, and then to be creepy as the haunting is slowly explored. This is not a scary movie per se so much as an unsettling one. The premise behind what happens to Alice - behind the quote at the top of this post - absolutely rattled me when I first saw the film and it still got me on a second watch. Just....*shudder*.

I kind of suck at reviewing things, but I've come to really love this film. It's restrained, slowly paced and without a jump scare (okay, one). But more than any horror film I've seen in the past few years, it's stuck with me. Strongly recommended for those looking for something different.

Just decided to pop in here to scope out the scene for some possible films to check out later as usual, and came across your review. Absolutely agreed. This is probably one of my favorite "horror" films ever for the fact that it's able to slowly disarm you and get under your skin. Haunting and unsettling is right. Few movies have that lasting effect on me.

Oct. 28

X_The_Unknown_Poster.jpg

X The Unknown is an almost archetypal 50's sci-fi horror and one of my favorite genre films from the period. It was also one of the trio of films in the Quatermass mold - along with The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) and Quatermass II (1957) - that helped to propel Hammer toward the fantastic horror and science fiction subjects that would make its success. The plot is straight forward but compelling, and great performances by Dean Jagger and Leo McKern lend it the weight. "How do you kill mud?"

And that's it for my Hammer theme this year... The end of the month will conclude with theatre viewings of The Mummy (1933) and The Wolf Man (1941) with one of my 23 year old daughters, and a Halloween night viewing of Trick 'R Treat...

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other Hammer monsters week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
  18. Lust for a Vampire (1971)
  19. Twins of Evil (1971)
  20. Vampire Circus (1972)
  21. Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter (1972)
  22. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)
  23. Ravenous (1999)
  24. The Mummy (1959)
  25. The Reptile (1966)
  26. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
  27. The Gorgon (1964)
  28. X The Unknown (1956)

XHyCWSw.jpg

25) Excision (2012) (Oct 27)

Body Horror Week - Day 7

Another leftover from a previous year of the marathon, I wasn't sure to include Excision in my body horror week or not. I probably shouldn't have as outside of the dream sequences it doesn't really fit in. It does make an interesting pairing with my last movie, American Mary though.

As I was watching this one, I wasn't really sure what I felt about it. There was some good performances and seriously disturbing scenes, but I felt they made the lead character Pauline (AnnaLynne McCord) just too unlikable. It's very hard to relate to or feel sympathy for her.

But then came that ending. Holy shit that phenomenal, horrifying, (my) head exploding ending.

Recommended.

Final Viewed List (2014):
01) White Zombie (1932) (Oct 1)
02) The Vampire Lovers (1970) (Oct 2)
03) Vampyros Lesbos (1971) (Oct 3)
04) She Killed in Ecstasy (Sie tötete in Ekstase) (1971) (Oct 4)
05) All the Colors of the Dark (Tutti i colori del buio) (1972) (Oct 5)
06) Flesh for Frankenstein (1973) (Oct 6)
07) Blood for Dracula (1974) (Oct 7)
08) Death Bed: The Bed that Eats (1977) (Oct 9)
09) Parasite (1982) (Oct 9)
10) Xtro (1982) (Oct 10)
11) The Hunger (1983) (Oct 11)
12) Nail Gun Massacre (1985) (Oct 12)
13) ThanksKilling (2009) (Oct 13)
14) The Stuff (1985) (Oct 15)
15) Ravenous (1999) (Oct 16)
16) Dolls (1987) (Oct 17)
17) Slugs: The Movie (Slugs, muerte viscosa) (1988) (Oct 18)
18) La Setta (1991) (Oct 19)
19) Shivers (aka They Came from Within) (1975) (Oct 19)
20) Videodrome (1983) (Oct 21)
21) Tetsuo: The Iron Man (The First Cut) (1989) (Oct 23)
22) Tetsuo II: Body Hammer (1992) (Oct 24)
23) Tetsuo: The Bullet Man (2009) (Oct 24)
24) American Mary (2012) (Oct 27)
25) Excision (2012) (Oct 27)

Divius

You saw his best, rest go downhill big time in quality.
Oh no! That was not what I wanted to hear. At a quick glance here's what I've seen:

The New York Ripper
Zombi 2
The Beyond
Don't Torture a Duckling

Loved the first 3, didn't like the last one as much. Surely there must be something else in his repertoire for me to enjoy. (City of the Living Dead for instance looks like it might be up my alley)

Ridley327

City of the Living Dead is kind of a mash-up of the outrageous gore of Zombi 2 and the doomed, nightmarish atmosphere of The Beyond, so it should be right up your alley.

Ridley327

Well, I saw it for the first time last year and loved it, so yes. :p

It definitely hit me a lot more than I think it would most, since I have two younger sisters that are also a year apart in age, so seeing a film that really nailed the banter and the ups and downs of that period in their lives was, dare I say, a bit touching.

Oh no! That was not what I wanted to hear. At a quick glance here's what I've seen:

The New York Ripper
Zombi 2
The Beyond
Don't Torture a Duckling

Loved the first 3, didn't like the last one as much. Surely there must be something else in his repertoire for me to enjoy. (City of the Living Dead for instance looks like it might be up my alley)

It's been yeeears since I've seen it, but if you liked Zombie 2 and the Beyond I think you're safe with City of the Living Dead. It has a couple of gore effects that are.... well, you won't forget them. That's for sure.

You might like Murder-Rock: Dancing Death too. It's a pretty good giallo. It's not nearly as cheesy as the trailer would suggest (and I recommend you don't watch that because they spoil some stuff).

Edit: Oh, and House By the Cemetery too.

Ridley327

Adding Ginger Snaps to my list, should I bother with the sequels?

The second one may as well not even be a sequel, but it's pretty decent taken as its own kind of film. It definitely doesn't go where you think it will at all.

I haven't seen the third one, but by all accounts it is terrible.

Steamlord

I really like Ginger Snaps 2. It doesn't take the easy and predictable route.

3 is whatever. I don't even hate it, I just don't have any feelings about it at all.

Adding Ginger Snaps to my list, should I bother with the sequels?

You won't be disappointed... here's my brief review of the film from my werewolf movie marathon last year: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=86082130&postcount=1441

The second one may as well not even be a sequel, but it's pretty decent taken as its own kind of film. It definitely doesn't go where you think it will at all.

I haven't seen the third one, but by all accounts it is terrible.

I agree with Ridley that the second one is very good, but takes a different line... The third is okay; better than any of The Howling's sequels, that's for sure, but doesn't live up to the first two... still, I think it's better than its reputation...

Alright, thanks guys. I'll keep an eye out for Ginger Snaps 2 as well. Maybe I'll give 3 a view if I happen upon it, but I won't go out of my way.

Divius

City of the Living Dead is kind of a mash-up of the outrageous gore of Zombi 2 and the doomed, nightmarish atmosphere of The Beyond, so it should be right up your alley.

It's been yeeears since I've seen it, but if you liked Zombie 2 and the Beyond I think you're safe with City of the Living Dead. It has a couple of gore effects that are.... well, you won't forget them. That's for sure.

You might like Murder-Rock: Dancing Death too. It's a pretty good giallo. It's not nearly as cheesy as the trailer would suggest (and I recommend you don't watch that because they spoil some stuff).

Edit: Oh, and House By the Cemetery too.
Good to hear, thanks guys!

The New York Ripper
Zombi 2
The Beyond
Don't Torture a Duckling

The Beyond is definitely Fulci's best film. That said, if you enjoyed those, you'll probably enjoy House by the Cemetery and City of the Living Dead.

House by the Cemetery is a Gothic haunted house story where the ghost is actually a slimy, murderous zombie. Lots of mood and atmosphere. It's very traditional up until the point where it's not. Fulci gets really weird during the last half.

City of the Living Dead has some outstanding gore, a baffling story and an incomprehensible ending that will drive you mad if you try to make sense of it. Plus you have Giovanni Lombardo Radice killed in one of his best death scenes... and that's saying something!

Ridley327

House by the Cemetery is easily Fulci's most atmospherically accomplished film, but the story is all kinds of terrible. It's incomprehensible, even for Fulci.

Still, naming someone Dr. Freudstein is rather incredible.

is polanski's repulsion a horror movie? thought it was but the back of the dvd box says drama.

Psychological horror tends to dip its toes in more genres than most of the subgenres.

ElTopo

Banned
2XMIFp5.jpg

Don't listen to that other guy. Check out the following:

Horror/Gialli: Zombie, City of the Living Dead, House by the Cemetery, New York Ripper, Don't Torture a Duckling, Lizard in a Woman's Skin, The Psychic.

Blader

Oct. 28

X_The_Unknown_Poster.jpg

X The Unknown is an almost archetypal 50's sci-fi horror and one of my favorite genre films from the period. It was also one of the trio of films in the Quatermass mold - along with The Quatermass Xperiment (1955) and Quatermass II (1957) - that helped to propel Hammer toward the fantastic horror and science fiction subjects that would make its success. The plot is straight forward but compelling, and great performances by Dean Jagger and Leo McKern lend it the weight. "How do you kill mud?"

And that's it for my Hammer theme this year... The end of the month will conclude with theatre viewings of The Mummy (1933) and The Wolf Man (1941) with one of my 23 year old daughters, and a Halloween night viewing of Trick 'R Treat...

View List 2014 - The Hammer Horror edition (other Hammer monsters week)
  1. White Zombie (1932)
  2. The Curse of Frankenstein (1957)
  3. The Revenge of Frankenstein (1959)
  4. Evil of Frankenstein (1964)
  5. Frankenstein Created Woman (1967)
  6. Frankenstein Must Be Destroyed (1969)
  7. Frankenstein and the Monster from Hell (1974)
  8. Horror of Dracula (1958)
  9. Dracula Prince of Darkness (1966)
  10. Dracula Has Risen From The Grave (1968)
  11. Taste the Blood of Dracula (1969)
  12. Scars of Dracula (1970)
  13. Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
  14. Satanic Rites of Dracula (1973)
  15. The Brides of Dracula (1960)
  16. Kiss of the Vampire (1963)
  17. The Vampire Lovers (1970)
  18. Lust for a Vampire (1971)
  19. Twins of Evil (1971)
  20. Vampire Circus (1972)
  21. Captain Kronos Vampire Hunter (1972)
  22. Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires (1974)
  23. Ravenous (1999)
  24. The Mummy (1959)
  25. The Reptile (1966)
  26. The Plague of the Zombies (1966)
  27. The Gorgon (1964)
  28. X The Unknown (1956)

Hey man, just wanted to say cheers for all the write-ups! I missed the boat on this year's marathon but I'm looking to get in it for next year and your reviews helped open my eyes to a lot of cool flicks I'd never heard of before. Up until about a month ago, I didn't even know what Hammer Horror was! Much less knew about the Cushing Frankensteins, Lee Draculas, et al. So I'll for sure be putting at least a few of these on the docket for next year.

izakq

Hellbound_hellraiser_ii_ver2.jpg

Movie #27 - Hellbound: Hellraiser II (1988) - Netflix

First time watch. First thing that I couldn't believe was that it was the same actress who plays Julia, she looks completely different from the first film. Anyway, lots of recaps at first, but then gets to the story nicely.
New Cenobite? Cool. Cenobite fight? Awesome! Wait, that's it? It was over quicker than a Mike Tyson fight.
More bloody and gory than the first flick. Even though I liked the first film more, I enjoyed this one as well. Thumbs up.

Ravenous_ver1.jpg

Movie #28 - Ravenous (1999) - Netflix

Cannibalism in the wild west. This combination seems like something that shouldn't go together or would work at all, yet it does. The use of the Wendigo myth fits perfectly for the story. Great acting by everyone. Then there's the music. It was crazy, weird, and sometimes inappropriate for certain scenes, but I liked it. Overall, this was surprisingly entertaining. Thumbs up.

Movie #1 - Night of the Living Dead (1968) - TiVo
Movie #2 - Sleepaway Camp (1983) - Youtube
Movie #3 - Annabelle (2014) - Theater
Movie #4 - You're Next (2011) - Netflix
Movie #5 - The Thing (1982) - TiVo
Movie #6 - Cabin In the Woods (2012) - Netflix
Movie #7 - Saw IV (2007) - TiVo
Movie #8 - Excision (2012) - TiVo
Movie #9 - V/H/S (2012) - Netflix
Movie #10 - Fire in the Sky (1993) - TiVo
Movie #11 - Would You Rather (2012) - OnDemand
Movie #12 - Oculus (2013) - Redbox
Movie #13 - The Blob (1988) - TiVo
Movie #14 - V/H/S/2 (2013) - Netflix
Movie #15 - Sinister (2012) - Rent
Movie #16 - Ring (1998) - YouTube
Movie #17 - The Conjuring (2013) - HBOGO
Movie #18 - A Tale of Two Sisters (2003) - Youtube
Movie #19 - The Mist (2007) - Rent
Movie #20 - REC (2007) - YouTube
Movie #21 - Martyrs (2008) - Dailymotion
Movie #22 - The Human Race (2014) - YouTube
Movie #23 - Creepshow (1982) - Rent
Movie #24 - Candyman (1992) - Netflix
Movie #25 - Hellraiser (1987) - Netflix
Movie #26 - Dumplings (2004) - Netflix

Hey man, just wanted to say cheers for all the write-ups! I missed the boat on this year's marathon but I'm looking to get in it for next year and your reviews helped open my eyes to a lot of cool flicks I'd never heard of before. Up until about a month ago, I didn't even know what Hammer Horror was! Much less knew about the Cushing Frankensteins, Lee Draculas, et al. So I'll for sure be putting at least a few of these on the docket for next year.

Go watch Cinemassacre's Monster Madness. It'll bring you up to speed on quite a few horror movies.

Kayo-kun

#10 The Purge: Anarchy

purge-anarchy.jpg

It was an enjoyable action-horror movie and I had a good company too to watch it with which made it better. Haven't seen the first The Purge movie, but I heard that the sequel (Anarchy) was far better and decided to jump into it directly. Highly recommend it if you want a good action-horror.

Previous:
#9 Ravenous (Oct 26)
#8 Willow Creek (Oct 20)
#7 Street Trash (Oct 19)
#6 The Last Winter (Oct 17)
#5 The Dark Half (Oct 12)
#4 Brainscan (Oct 5)
#3 The Night Flier (Oct 4)
#2 Demons (Oct 2)
#1 White Zombie (Oct 1)

iSUBYEH.png

WorldsCinema had this tagged as horror. I don't know why, it isn't at all. It's Ukrainian Poetic Cinema. It's really good, though. 3/3

tsvwqio.png

Easily the most unsettling film I've seen for this 31 Days of Horror. 3/3

AwLpmuV.png

Bela Lugosi pulls some neat faces... which then tend to drag on a bit too long and he becomes more boring than intimidating. It's mostly just dull and completely failed to catch my attention. Mostly because I didn't feel like I knew/cared about the characters. Maybe it would benefit from restoration cause at least the version I watched (archive.org) had plenty sound issues (like music getting cut off and then resuming). 1/3

Turned out as I expected it these last two weeks with plenty of intense exam studying. Didn't have any time for films. Only 21 and that's including shorts. Count only feature films and the number is really low. Anyhow, here they are in order of preference (excluding Ivan Kupalo since it turned out to have nothing to do with horror, really liked it, though):
  1. Krysař 3/3
  2. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer 3/3
  3. La Cabina 3/3
  4. Kyvadlo, jáma a naděje 3/3
  5. Orlacs Hände 3/3
  6. The Signalman 3/3
  7. The Tell-Tale Heart 3/3
  8. Zánik domu Usheru 3/3
  9. 鉄男II BODY HAMMER 2/3
  10. The Cabin in the Woods 2/3
  11. Mad Love 2/3
  12. The Treasure of Abbot Thomas 2/3
  13. A Warning to the Curious 2/3
  14. A Nightmare on Elm Street 2/3
  15. Exorcist II: The Heretic 1/3
  16. The Hands of Orlac 1/3
  17. White Zombie 1/3
  18. ¿Quién puede matar a un niño? 1/3
  19. Whistle and I'll Come to You 1/3
  20. La Cabina (2005) 1/3

Don't listen to that other guy. Check out the following:

Horror/Gialli: Zombie, City of the Living Dead, House by the Cemetery, New York Ripper, Don't Torture a Duckling, Lizard in a Woman's Skin, The Psychic.

I didn't say not to watch any of his other films, but without a doubt The Beyond was his peak that he never got close too again. He had some OK films but he was also a master of nonsensical randomness that often ruined some decent films.

ElTopo

Banned
I didn't say not to watch any of his other films, but without a doubt The Beyond was his peak that he never got close too again. He had some OK films but he was also a master of nonsensical randomness that often ruined some decent films.

And so was Argento. But to discredit his other films as not being as good is being short sighted.

Fox Mulder

Passed 31 movies tonight with the mist, phantom of the opera, and Friday the 13th 5 part V.

fun stuff, gonna keep on trucking.

two highlights for me are the surprising You're Next and The Mist.

Film 29: Gremlins (1984)
Method of viewing: Blu-Ray Disc

RHxLhnH.jpg

I still love this horror-comedy movie after all these years and it's always a fun nostalgic trip.

Slowly going through and writing reviews for the films I skipped. Doubt I'll get caught up by Halloween, but I'll just include the older ones with the more recent ones.

ZcCcnXw.jpg

5 Slumber Party Massacre II [October 5]

"Let's BUZZZZZ!"

The Driller Killer's back, baby. The leather clad psychobilly is ready to shock and rock his way through a bevy of scantily clad teenage flesh. Wait. What? That's right. The denim and sleaze weasel from the first film is inexplicably reborn as a Freddy Krueger styled greaser who rocks out with his drill out. His plain jane drill has also been transformed into a guitar-drill that's just as effective at ripping off sweet licks as it is drilling through nubile bodies. Now that's what I call a serious fucking upgrade! Crystal Bernard essays the emotional landscape of a traumatized survivor from the first sleep-over bash. When she's not suffering from nightmares that are more head-scratching and hilarious than, well, nightmarish, she's rocking out with her Bangles-styled all-girl rock group. The first hour is dominated by musical numbers, dream-sequences and topless slow-motion pillow fights. But things kick into high gear after Bernard locks loins with the hot hunk of her dreams. The Driller Killer is magically unleashed and gets to do his thing. Ridiculous and silly, this one would probably be an all-time classic if it featured more gore and gratuitous nudity. As it is, it's still boatloads of fun, if you don't mind your slasher maniacs breaking into musical numbers between kills.

a0ymjJF.jpg

22 Dee Snider's Strangeland [October 27]

"We must all go through a rite of passage, and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark."

Strangeland represented aging hair rocker Dee Snider's stab at a bonafide horror franchise. Straight from a Twisted Sister track, Captain Howdy was designed to spawn countless sequels, action figures and lunchboxes. Unfortunately in his rush to elbow Freddy and Jason out of the way, Snyder forgot one important thing: a fucking good slasher flick. What he opted for instead was a leather clad, tattooed and functionally pierced take on Krueger 101. While Nightmare on Elm Street never detailed Freddy's kiddy killing past and the good ol' fashioned vigilante justice that followed, Snyder decided he knew better and crafted the Batman Begins of slasher films. Events that could have been summed up in ten minutes are stretched, whipped and beaten to ninety minutes. Toss in a heaping dose of Dee sermonizing about the glories of S&M, and you'll be screaming your safeword. On the bright side, Industrial scum bags Bile make an appearance in an underground goth club as the house band. Unfortunately the hack editor couldn't be bothered to properly sync their performance to the audio track. A sequel has been threatened, but has yet to materialize.

1J5sJgc.jpg

23 Dr. Giggles [October 27]

"Time to do what doctors do best."

On paper, it looks like a winner. Deranged psycho who thinks he's a doctor? Indiscriminately hacking and slashing his way toward a large body count? Larry Drake spewing ridiculous medical puns that make Arnold Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze burn with jealousy? It all sounds amazing, but yet it never really catches fire. The story doesn't quite click and the flick never reaches the crazed pulse pounding momentum a good slasher should. It doesn't even feature a good stalk and slash finale. Admittedly Larry Drake ain't exactly a world class sprinter, but that never stopped big Mike from catching his prey. It does feature a spectacular scene of a young Dr. Giggles clawing his way out of the corpse of his beloved mother. If the rest of the film managed even half the bug fuck craziness of that sequence, you'd have an all-time slasher classic. Unfortunately it doesn't. File this under missed opportunities, then call me in the morning.

obin_gam

#29. Evil Dead ´13
Even if it's technically not a remake or a reboot, for the sake of argument, I have as much respect for this as I do with The Fly from ´86, and The Thing from ´82. A reimagination done with love and care and one that is actually good for real.
Also - I need a six foot wide murial of this scene on my wall.

Steamlord

#42 - City of the Living Dead

It had some memorable scenes in spite of its virtually nonexistent plot, but it didn't really manage to grab me. I think I liked it better than Zombi 2 overall, just because I prefer the more magical, surreal approach. Mostly I'm just warming up for The Beyond.

Here, in all its glory, is my completed list. I'm sure I'll watch more tonight but, I feel like this was a good Halloween marathon.

1. Blood Lake - 1/5
2. Ravenous - 3/5
3. Higanjima - 3/5
4. Rosemary's Baby - 4/5
5. The Prophecy: Uprising - 4/5
6. The Reeds - 3/5
7. Carrie (2013) - 4/5
8. Trollhunter - 2/5
9. Cabin Fever: Patient Zero - 2/5
10. The Monkey's Paw - 2/5
11. Wake Wood - 4/5
12. Detention - 1/5
13. Event Horizon - 4/5
14. Scar - 2/5
15. Hatchet II - 2/5
16. The Colony - 4/5
17. Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer - 4/5
18. House Hunting - 2/5
19. Evil Dead 2: Dead by Dawn - 4/5
20. Halloween (2007) - 4/5
21 Halloween VI - The Curse of Michael Myers - 4/5
22. Hellrasier - 5/5
23. Hellbound: Hellraiser II - 5/5
24. Hellraiser III: Hell on Earth - 4/5
25. Hellraiser IV: Bloodline - 4/5
26. Hellraiser V: Inferno - 3/5
27. Hellraiser VI: Hellseeker - 3/5
28. Monkey Shines - 3/5
29. Witching and Bitching - 4/5
30. The Taking of Deborah Logan - 5/5

I am a huge Halloween and Hellrasier fan.

Here, in all its glory, is my completed list. I'm sure I'll watch more tonight but, I feel like this was a good Halloween marathon.

30. The Taking of Deborah Logan - 5/5

what was this about? what made you like it so much? is it a possession movie? i was curious about it after seeing it pop up on instant netflix the other day.

what was this about? what made you like it so much? is it a possession movie? i was curious about it after seeing it pop up on instant netflix the other day.

It's a found footage film about a lady with Alzheimer's. It turns out there is more at work than just Alzheimer's (all I can say without spoiling).

I enjoyed it so much because it was the only movie I have seen in a while that actually made me feel something. Not sure if it was creeped out or what it was but, it was cool to feel that "holy fuck" moment in a horror movie again. I've seen a lot of horror and not much actually moves me in the genre anymore. This did for some reason. I think it was the actress who portrayed the lady with Alzheimer's. She just killed it.

cacildo

220px-firestarterpost6iqdk.jpg

Some people mentioned this movie a few pages back and i went for it

Im amazed! The movie is great, the pratical effects deserves a SALUTE! Fireballs all around, dangerous inflamable tricks. Loved it!

I keep imagining this movie being made today.... computer fire for all, totally bland

Also the young Drew Barrymore... she´s cute, but she´s also damn good actress! A lot better than other children acting!

And i like the plot and characters too. I mean, of course im still scratching my head on the
reasons revealed by "John",
but scratching my head in a nice way

Really dont get why this got bad reviews

Thank you all for recomending this movie

And thank you all for this month. All this horror movies really helped in a rough patch for me

It's a found footage film about a lady with Alzheimer's. It turns out there is more at work than just Alzheimer's (all I can say without spoiling).

I enjoyed it so much because it was the only movie I have seen in a while that actually made me feel something. Not sure if it was creeped out or what it was but, it was cool to feel that "holy fuck" moment in a horror movie again. I've seen a lot of horror and not much actually moves me in the genre anymore. This did for some reason. I think it was the actress who portrayed the lady with Alzheimer's. She just killed it.

Oh cool, thanks. I'll definitely check it out at some point...

Movie # 27: Stage Fright.

Not even the musical gimmick can cover up how cliche and predictable this slasher flick was. The musical numbers aren't even good and it doesn't even deliver on the camp. Waste of time.

And will that my month of horror movies I have never seen has come to an end everything else from here on out with be rewatches.

Movie # 27: Stage Fright.

Not even the musical gimmick can cover up how cliche and predictable this slasher flick was. The musical numbers aren't even good and it doesn't even deliver on the camp. Waste of time.

And will that my month of horror movies I have never seen has come to an end everything else from here on out with be rewatches.

Assume you mean the current Stage Fright thats on Netflix now and not the good one with Owl head?

Fox Mulder

#29. Evil Dead ´13
Even if it's technically not a remake or a reboot, for the sake of argument, I have as much respect for this as I do with The Fly from ´86, and The Thing from ´82. A reimagination done with love and care and one that is actually good for real.

Also - I need a six foot wide murial of this scene on my wall.

gonna watch this tonight.

Top Bottom