• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Far Cry 4 PC performance thread

DaciaJC

Gold Member
Hmm, is there any way I can fix the Steam overlay not working? It's only for FC4, specifically, and I think it might have something do with the botched downloading process (twice I paused the download while it was >70 percent done and it reverted to 2.5 GB downloaded), but I'm not sure. I do have the overlay enabled under game properties. I miss the ability to take screenshots.

Zeth

Hmm, is there any way I can fix the Steam overlay not working? It's only for FC4, specifically, and I think it might have something do with the botched downloading process (twice I paused the download while it was >70 percent done and it reverted to 2.5 GB downloaded), but I'm not sure. I do have the overlay enabled under game properties. I miss the ability to take screenshots.
Try disabling the uplay overlay?

Skyzard

Banned
Yes it does! As well as FXAA in Unity. Cant help but think that this has to do with consoles getting top priority. Have to hope for better optimization in future patches.

TXAA has always been bad in my opinion. I've never liked the IQ in any game that has it available, and the performance hit is just not worth it.

TXAA used to rule, I agree with fade, Unity and FC4 make poor use of it compared to what others titles do - eg Watch Dogs and Evolve. Especially at higher resolution. Adds immensely.

Tizoc

I'm getting 40-45 FPS average with most settings at Medium. What options use up the most resources and I should lower?
For AA, I tried MSAA x2 and it ran OK, I'm gonna try SMAA later today unless that too is resource heavy?

ELCID777

Neo Member
Alright, I'm not sure if I'm insane, but is this game dark? I can't tell if I'm getting crush or if I need to turn up my gamma.

You're still using the Gamerprofile.xml from an older version of the game, that's why you're getting the blurry cutscenes and black crush. The game stays with the previous version .xml settings after updating instead of generating a new one. You have to go in there and delete it yourself. This game is all kinds of screwed up and Ubisoft knows it yet does nothing.

To fix these issues, go to My Documents> My games > Far Cry 4 folder and delete the Gamerprofile.xml and then restart the game. This is a guaranteed fix.

Is it just me or is TXAA in both this and Unity not as good as it was in earlier titles? I mean I know it's MO is making thing a little blurry but for some reason in this game and Unity it doesn't seem to be applied evenly/correctly and is a way bigger performance hit then I'm used to as well.

its not just you. in ac unity it seems completely broken. in FC 4 however, it breaks down and reverts to standard 4xMSAA when you move. if you stop and just stand still it works properly. ive PMed Andy about this and sent him my dxdiag file, hopefully it gets fixed.

the crew beta was actually the first time iver seen txaa not work properly, and after unity and FC 4, im not expecting it to work in the retail game either. seems to be a trend with UBI games lately.

Jtrizzy

Sounds weird but it seems like when I switch between borderless and full screen it gets rid of the stuttering on my 970. If I use SMAA I stay in the 50's, and and at 60 when there arean't a ton of god rays around.

scitek

Sounds weird but it seems like when I switch between borderless and full screen it gets rid of the stuttering on my 970. If I use SMAA I stay in the 50's, and and at 60 when there arean't a ton of god rays around.

Try turning shadows to High and see if you get closer to 60fps. There isn't a huge difference visually between that and Ultra.

Jtrizzy

I'm playing with everything on Nvidia, smaa being the only change I turn off. I don't know what happened, last night it was stuttering to the point of it being unplayable. I did reset all of the things I tried in Inspector. Just using triple buffered v sync in game now. I'm ok with it honestly. If I turn off god rays and hbao it'a flawless 60.

I'm getting 40-45 FPS average with most settings at Medium. What options use up the most resources and I should lower?
For AA, I tried MSAA x2 and it ran OK, I'm gonna try SMAA later today unless that too is resource heavy?

SMAA has least performance hit with better IQ than TXAA2x or MSAA2x. It's all I use, like FXAA in Unity.

Naminator

Banned
So I'm barely getting 25fps in this game.

Changing the resolution and putting the settings to low or ultra doesn't seem to make any difference.

I'm on a AMD X6 II1055T cpu with a R9 280x gpu, 8gb RAM.

I've been having issues in a lot of different games too, regarding fps, even cs:go, but this one really takes the cake. Anyone have an idea what could go wrong?
You need to check your PC for viruses and malware, update your drivers, give it a good dusting, and clean out the garbage(bolded) from your PC.

;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

If the game didn't quite download properly you can force a file verification check by right-clicking, selecting "Properties", navigating to the "Local files" tab and clicking "Verify integrity of game cache". I once had a really weird issue with The Witcher 2: my initial download of the game was v1.0 instead of... whatever the latest version was at the time.

rBose

Banned
I've got the same issues. Turned my gamma up for the first one. Turned off God Rays for the second one. And not using any AA unfortunately cause of either the performance or the vaseline filter.

Regarding the haze filter, turn off nvidia godrays if it isnt already off

Tizoc

SMAA has least performance hit with better IQ than TXAA2x or MSAA2x. It's all I use, like FXAA in Unity.

Cool thanks, will check it out. Also, is Tree Relief that much of a resource hog? All things considered I don't think I need it but it is kinda cool to see trees animating :p

I agree it has the lowest performance hit, but it doesn't look quite as good as TSAA in my game, and it leaves a weird transparent overlay image from when I switched from TSAA. I wonder if SLI doesn't like SMAA.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I agree it has the lowest performance hit, but it doesn't look quite as good as TSAA in my game, and it leaves a weird transparent overlay image from when I switched from TSAA. I wonder if SLI doesn't like SMAA.
I just wish there were an option for regular SMAA a la Watch Dogs. FC4 offers temporal SMAA and temporal SMAA only, which isn't SLI-friendly.

Have you dusted out your machine recently? When I had a 1055T I had to keep on top of cleaning the CPU heatsink or else it would throttle down. Obviously one should do this with every machine but the 1055T was temperamental.

You need to check your PC for viruses and malware, update your drivers, give it a good dusting, and clean out the garbage(bolded) from your PC.

;)

Thanks, will try those things! It's been a while since I went in there with a vacuum.

SaberEdge

Can you point to a source where you're seeing the 'vast majority' of people playing Far Cry 4 are having this problem? I've seen a handful of users in this thread, maybe a couple hundred+ scattered throughout Reddit. Am I missing something? If this was something as botched and widespread as say, Unity, you'd be seeing headlines about it everywhere.

It's unfortunate, but you seem to be in the small camp of users having a sub-optimal experience with FC4. Give them some time to work it out before calling them 'lazy.'

EDIT: Also, what's your hardware config? Are you running SLI?

Oddly enough, Unity runs better for me than Far Cry 4. I can't maintain a smooth 60fps in either game, but I can max them out and cap them at 30fps for consistency. However, I'm actually able to run Unity with quite a bit higher level of downsampling than FC4, yet I get some strange occasional stutter in FC4 whereas Unity is mostly totally smooth.

I just found out that Rivatuner / MSI Afterburner were the cause for instant crash on startup upon pressing "PLAY" on Uplay.

Did anyone find a workaround to get these working with the game? If I don't have Afterburner minimised, my PC won't be using the custom fan curve profile correct? I'm worried that If I try to play without it, it could overheat or fry my GPU's. Also, I won't be able to see my frames or adjust settings accordingly.

Randam

Btw if you want to skip the intro (which are waaaaaay too long and you can't skip with any keypress).

Add -skipintro to your FarCry4.exe shortcut.

You can't add them to your uplay FC4 shortcut, you have to make a specific shortcut to FarCry4.exe for this to work.

No more waiting 10 mins to even play.

where do I find that shortut?
made 1 with uplay, now I have a .url on my desktop.

and where/how do I add "-skipintro" exactly?

where do I find that shortut?
made 1 with uplay, now I have a .url on my desktop.

and where/how do I add "-skipintro" exactly?

browse to wherever you installed the game, locate farcry.exe, right click and send shortcut to desktop. go to desktop, right click the shortcut, choose properties and add it to the end of the target field

think I found it.
and how do I add "-skipintro"?

at the end of the target field, the end should read something like : xxxxx.exe" -skipintro. if you bought it through steam, you can also try right clicking the title in your library, choose properties. in the popup box that appears click launch options, and type it there. that might work as well.

edit - just tried the steam method and it works

riflen

I just wish there were an option for regular SMAA a la Watch Dogs. FC4 offers temporal SMAA and temporal SMAA only, which isn't SLI-friendly.

SMAA working fine against the Blood Dragon SLI bits and without temporal image retention. I'm not sure if these bits are disabling ambient occlusion or something else subtle, but I'm getting very good, mostly 60fps performance with them at 2560x1440. I can even set textures to Ultra with 2 x 780 Ti.

One thing I have noticed is that GPU bus usage goes way up using these bits. From single digits using the FC4 bits, to 50-60%. This is pretty unusual in my experience.

I just found out that Rivatuner / MSI Afterburner were the cause for instant crash on startup upon pressing "PLAY" on Uplay.

Did anyone find a workaround to get these working with the game? If I don't have Afterburner minimised, my PC won't be using the custom fan curve profile correct? I'm worried that If I try to play without it, it could overheat or fry my GPU's. Also, I won't be able to see my frames or adjust settings accordingly.

Afterburner and RTSS (2.6.0) is working fine here. Try turning on stealth mode and setting detection level to low in RTSS. Also you can try running Afterburner after the game has loaded.

Afterburner and RTSS (2.6.0) is working fine here. Try turning on stealth mode and setting detection level to low in RTSS. Also you can try running Afterburner after the game has loaded.

Fucking awesome, thanks so much man. It was the detection level. It was set to high for some reason. Low fixed it. I haven't been able to even start the game since it launched, thank you.

Have you dusted out your machine recently? When I had a 1055T I had to keep on top of cleaning the CPU heatsink or else it would throttle down. Obviously one should do this with every machine but the 1055T was temperamental.

Ok so I went in there with the vacuum, my cpu cooler looks like this so it's hard to get everywhere. Am I supposed to replace the cpu thermal paste as well?

P1010171.jpg

I got the new AMD beta drivers for Far Cry 4 and did a scan for viruses. But my fps is still stuck around that 15fps (even on low) in the first town you encounter.

I do know that my cpu is running at 2.8ghz while it could be OC'd to 4.0ghz. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with what kind of values (memory voltages) need to be changed accordingly, in order for my pc not to blow up.

I'm almost at a point where I just want to throw everything out besides my GPU and start fresh. :)

Rwinterhalter

Neo Member
Ok so I went in there with the vacuum, my cpu cooler looks like this so it's hard to get everywhere. Am I supposed to replace the cpu thermal paste as well?

I got the new AMD beta drivers for Far Cry 4 and did a scan for viruses. But my fps is still stuck around that 15fps (even on low) in the first town you encounter.

I do know that my cpu is running at 2.8ghz while it could be OC'd to 4.0ghz. Unfortunately I'm not familiar enough with what kind of values (memory voltages) need to be changed accordingly, in order for my pc not to blow up.

I'm almost at a point where I just want to throw everything out besides my GPU and start fresh. :)

More than clean enough. You should probably reapply the thermal paste too.

A 1055T isn't going to hold up much longer. The FX line is more advanced and even those will act as a bottleneck on most games released these days, particularly Far Cry 4.

More than clean enough. You should probably reapply the thermal paste too.

A 1055T isn't going to hold up much longer. The FX line is more advanced and even those will act as a bottleneck on most games released these days, particularly Far Cry 4.

It's weird though, I remember playing Far Cry 3 and that ran really well. And this one isn't that big of a step up.

I'll try to get my hands on some thermal paste and clean it properly. If that doesn't help, I'll look into getting an i5 or i7 and be done with it. I just wish I could work with that OC stuff, I followed a youtube video once, upping the clock speed from 2800Mhz to 3500Mhz , but my pc was way too unstable.

Randam

btw.: loading when I want to continue or after I died takes ages..
bar goes to 75% pretty quik and then it takes almost a minute.

anyone else with this?

You're still using the Gamerprofile.xml from an older version of the game, that's why you're getting the blurry cutscenes and black crush. The game stays with the previous version .xml settings after updating instead of generating a new one. You have to go in there and delete it yourself. This game is all kinds of screwed up and Ubisoft knows it yet does nothing.

To fix these issues, go to My Documents> My games > Far Cry 4 folder and delete the Gamerprofile.xml and then restart the game. This is a guaranteed fix.
This worked! AUGH! The game looks so much better. The game was applying the "God Rays" that should be in the underbrush when you're in trees to the whole map. Now it looks night and DAY, no pun intended, better.

Thanks a TON man!

FLAguy954

Oddly enough, Unity runs better for me than Far Cry 4. I can't maintain a smooth 60fps in either game, but I can max them out and cap them at 30fps for consistency. However, I'm actually able to run Unity with quite a bit higher level of downsampling than FC4, yet I get some strange occasional stutter in FC4 whereas Unity is mostly totally smooth.

This is true for me as well. I can lock Unity down to 30 fps and downsample from 1440p (with shadows at high). Unity seems to be great when it comes to frame-pacing, while FC4 has the frame-pacing issues that FC3 had at launch :/.

Yep, Godrays change the way the entire game looks, its unplayable with anything but Enhanced Godrays.

Finally was able to get a semi-correct FOV for 21:9 and Triple Screen 21:9, by setting the game for: "Border Windowed" which doesnt run the game on a window, makes it fullscreen haha, this game.

As for performance, for the first time in my life, I had to overclock my 7970 to 1200mhz/1500mhz, to achieve 30 fps with these settings:

AO = SSBC
Shadows = Low
Environment Q = Low
Geometry Q = High
Post FX = off or low
Terrain Q = High
Texture Performance = High or Medium, TEST as it uses tons of VRAM
Trees relief = off
Vegetation Q = Medium
Water Performance = Medium

Im going to have to upgrade my GPU very soon, 390x cant come soon enough.

ELCID777

Neo Member
As for performance, for the first time in my life, I had to overclock my 7970 to 1200mhz/1500mhz, to achieve 30 fps with these settings:

AO = SSBC
Shadows = Low
Environment Q = Low
Geometry Q = High
Post FX = off or low
Terrain Q = High
Texture Performance = High or Medium, TEST as it uses tons of VRAM
Trees relief = off
Vegetation Q = Medium
Water Performance = Medium

Im going to have to upgrade my GPU very soon, 390x cant come soon enough.

Strange performance you're getting there. I'm only running one of my HD7970's @1100/1500 OC and I can get a solid 30fps (more if I unlock fps) at 1920x1200 with everything on ultra settings, SMAA, motion blur off. VRAM never exceeds 2.7GB.

The only thing keeping it from being perfectly smooth is the occasional stuttering issue that everyone else is reporting.

It seems like the Batman Arkham Origins SLI bits work quite well (I think) but SMAA is very fucked with it. Strangely TXAA seems fine with it.

Edit: Hmmm not so sure now, getting very little second GPU usage with the Batman AO bits.

Buburibon

Same stuttering issues as FC3, smh.

I'm starting to think the stuttering has something to do with what seems to be very poor use of multiple CPU cores/threads. The third thread (logical "CPU 2" in Windows) on my 4930K never sees less than ~92% load, and when stutters occur it hits 99% usage; meanwhile, other threads aren't doing much at all. TotalBiscuit talks about the problem in his "FC4: PC Port Report" video at around 12 minutes and 40 seconds:

http://youtu.be/M25Le3JdHH8?t=12m42s

I honestly don't remember this issue being quite so bad in FC3.

pestul

Okay.. I've just been blown away graphically. When you hover over a forested area in the mini copter, seeing the way the canopy reacts to the downdraft is breathtaking. Especially with god rays turned on. It's the most impressive effect I've seen in quite some time.

Okay.. I've just been blown away graphically. When you hover over a forested area in the mini copter, seeing the way the canopy reacts to the downdraft is breathtaking. Especially with god rays turned on. It's the most impressive effect I've seen in quite some time.

Yeah the Godrays are really something else, they are completely dynamic. I love seeing parts of the map completely dark because the angle of the sun and a hill are preventing any light from going in.

Strange performance you're getting there. I'm only running one of my HD7970's @1100/1500 OC and I can get a solid 30fps (more if I unlock fps) at 1920x1200 with everything on ultra settings, SMAA, motion blur off. VRAM never exceeds 2.7GB.

The only thing keeping it from being perfectly smooth is the occasional stuttering issue that everyone else is reporting.

Well, im playing at 6400 * 1200, so thats probably why :p

LilJoka

I'm starting to think the stuttering has something to do with what seems to be very poor use of multiple CPU cores/threads. The third thread (logical "CPU 2" in Windows) on my 4930K never sees less than ~92% load, and when stutters occur it hits 99% usage; meanwhile, other threads aren't doing much at all. TotalBiscuit talks about the problem in his "FC4: PC Port Report" video at around 12 minutes and 40 seconds:

http://youtu.be/M25Le3JdHH8?t=12m42s

I honestly don't remember this issue being quite so bad in FC3.

Yeah same here. 3770 @ 4.2Ghz (same architecture as your CPU), core 2 pegged 100%. I also had no such issue in FC3, butter smoother when i did end up playing it. That was a while after launch though, in fact only this summer.

Kezen

Banned
I checked myself and like many others I see mostly one-two cores maxed out.
Definitely not a very well multithreaded game on PC.

Top Bottom