• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Order 1886 Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

QaaQer

What? He openly says that reviews are purely a subjective thing. People know the other games he likes and they can make a comparison from there about whether they would like it. Show me a quote that shows him saying his reviews are objective. The whole point of GiantBomb is to be a personality driven website. They don't try to be objective.

Here you go. Straight from his Tumblr:
http://blog.jeffgerstmann.net/post/64985695690/im-sure-youve-talked-about-it-before-but-what

Doesn't walk the talk then on the bombcast at least. I stand by my statment.

EL CUCO

Next time you so called """""journalists""""" want to review a game, here are some helpful pointers from me, the man on "the streets":

• Divide a game into six different categories: Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Presentation, Replayability, and GamePro Face. Each of these scientific and objective scores should be then combined via an algorithm that mathematicians still aren't sure is real. If the final score doesn't match your opinion, that's proof that you were biased. This mathematical standard will hold up pretty well until a game I think I'll like is reviewed poorly under it, and then we'll need to restart all over again.
  • Review a game for what it is, not what it isn't. If you state that the game isn't good, then that's pretty unfair to the developers, who might not have wanted to make a good game.
  • Consider that by criticizing a game, you're criticizing every game in that genre by extension, and telling the developers not to bother making any game remotely like it ever again. Logically, it follows that we'll eventually reach a point where no games will ever be made again, and that's bad because I want to preorder more of them as soon as they're announced.
  • Imagine the feelings of the developers. Be fair and criticize them, but not as much as you're thinking about criticizing about them, however much that is. That's too much. Remember that developers have families to feed. Imagine if reviewing a game poorly caused ISIS to besiege the developer's town. Imagine if the developers joined ISIS to make money because now their studio is shut down. Didn't think about that, did ya.
2RmANhs.jpg

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I'm never gonna play the game, so you can spoiler tag the joke for me?
I kind of want to know haha
Chapter X is a cutscene, chapter 11 is a poorly paced stealth mission, chapter 12 is a cutscene, chapter 13 is a cutscene, chapter 14 is walking through a very short tunnel, 15 is a drawn out sequence of rooms, and chapter 16 is only a QTE boss fight that's literally exactly the same as the boss fight earlier in the game.

Mory Dunz

Chapter X is a cutscene, chapter 11 is a poorly paced stealth mission, chapter 12 is a cutscene, chapter 13 is a cutscene, chapter 14 is walking through a very short tunnel, 15 is a drawn out sequence of rooms, and chapter 16 is only a QTE boss fight that's literally exactly the same as the boss fight earlier in the game.

lol

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I am at 4 hours 50 minutes at chapter 4.
What have you been doing?

stop showing off your l337 sp33d runn1ng :p
I think it should be noted that it's impossible to speed run this game. It's so unbelievably scripted and rarely lets you sprint or rush, not to mention that the level spaces are very small so there's little exploration. Really puts all those "that youtuber was just speedrunning the game" posts from people who hadn't played the game in perspective.

vg260

I think the best visuals to ever be seen on a console game make it worth playing at least once.

You can see a good enough quality 1080p video of this game at the same frame rate online. No one's missing anything by not actually taking the time to play this.

I have no words.

Lmao

orochi91

This is atrocious.

Who the fuck at RAD thought this was a good idea?

Well, if you say so.

I feel Youtube is a poor replacement for playing video games, due to the game aspect not really translating well to a play button. It may just be for me, but I actually prefer to experience all of the game, not watch someone else experience it on my behalf (which is nice of them, but wholly unnecessary). Oh well.

Agreed. Watching a youtube playthrough is in no way a substitute for actually playing a game. Even something like Heavy Rain or The Order.

Next time you so called """""journalists""""" want to review a game, here are some helpful pointers from me, the man on "the streets":

• Divide a game into six different categories: Graphics, Sound, Gameplay, Presentation, Replayability, and GamePro Face. Each of these scientific and objective scores should be then combined via an algorithm that mathematicians still aren't sure is real. If the final score doesn't match your opinion, that's proof that you were biased. This mathematical standard will hold up pretty well until a game I think I'll like is reviewed poorly under it, and then we'll need to restart all over again.
  • Review a game for what it is, not what it isn't. If you state that the game isn't good, then that's pretty unfair to the developers, who might not have wanted to make a good game.
  • Consider that by criticizing a game, you're criticizing every game in that genre by extension, and telling the developers not to bother making any game remotely like it ever again. Logically, it follows that we'll eventually reach a point where no games will ever be made again, and that's bad because I want to preorder more of them as soon as they're announced.
  • Imagine the feelings of the developers. Be fair and criticize them, but not as much as you're thinking about criticizing about them, however much that is. That's too much. Remember that developers have families to feed. Imagine if reviewing a game poorly caused ISIS to besiege the developer's town. Imagine if the developers joined ISIS to make money because now their studio is shut down. Didn't think about that, did ya.

iOcg7Kpleh8cY.gif

Gsnap

Hahaha.

My friend and I stopped at chapter 10 last night because
it was getting late and we were worried it might take too long to finish. Guess we were wrong.

Cubed

I still love this game.

I don't know. I'm loving EVERY PS4 exclusive this gen and have zero agenda pushing me to "force myself" to like them.

Not sure what people want. If anything, I see a consistent negative with many PS4 exclusives, which is pacing (in KZ: Shadowfall, InFamous: Second Son, and The Order), but it doesn't ruin these games. DriveClub and Knack simply got shat on like crazy, imo. Both are phenomenal games (and yes, I mean DC the way it was at launch). TLOU: Remastered is flawless.

I'm quite happy this gen so far.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE

. . .

Wait, really?

Uh, wow.

djshauny

Banned
Finished the game earlier. Sure its a very nice looking game but thats it. The hospital area was ok but thats about it. Wont be recomending this to anyone.

Some terrible choices here. Id rather play re6 lol

SERIOUSLY!?!?!

Why would they finish off the game like that?

Are you saying there are no gunfights for the last 6 levels? That cannot be right.

MrxDemix

Banned

The really sad part is that this is accurate.

RexNovis

Banned
Having just finished the game I really enjoyed it. I'll be starting my secoond playthrough on hard to wrap up the trophies later today but the following are my takeaways from my roughly 11 hour playthrough one

Positives

• Stunning art direction especially given the setting.
  • Voice acting is great. Incredibly well done across the board. Right up there with the best I've heard in a game.

• Really enjoyed the story and it has me excited at the prospect of followup game

• Sound direction (OST, ambient noise, weapon feedback etc) are all incredibly well done. Hands down among the best I've heard in a game.

• Lighting and shading is way beyond anything I've ever seen in any other game. When inspecting flyers the ink and contours of said material reflect 100% realistically in realtime when manipulated by the player. The lighting is so good that I found myself gawking and screen caping even the most mundane of things (lantern on a barrel etc) because it blew my mind every single time. I have som 40 odd screenshots from my first playthrough uploaded t my twitter acct (@rexnovis for anyone who wants to look)

• Gunplay is excellent. The shotgun and the thermite rifle are both an absolute blast to use. Also the secondary fire on the falchion that stuns enemies with a blast of air was quit fun to use on advancing enemies.

• I really enjoyed the werewolf encounters. It managed to avoid the tendency in these games to make boss fights into bullet sponges and make them feel unique from all other encounters in the game. The half breed fights managed to capitalize on the speed and ferocity of the enemy instead of just being a big bad thing that you shoot until you die. The sort of guerrilla attack from all sides and angles aspect had me panicking to fire back. The Elder lycan fights were absolutely brutal. I do however think that they could relinquished a bit more control of the situation to the player, They still get a positive from me for not being a bullet sponge fight though.

Negatives

• Depth of Field sometimes causes sighted enemies to appear out of focus causing them to look blurry.

• Disorienting and seemingly unnecessary loss of camera/character control (descending/climbing ladders, intermittent short scenes that could have easily played out while maintaining control)

• Immersion breaking button prompts. Some of them really aren't necessary. After you establish the proper button or control element to use in a situation you really dont need to constantly remind the player. Why does it need to display a symbol over ever inspect-able item instead of just a slight glow or something? It immediately reminds you "oh yeah I'm playing a game"

• Some chapter breaks that make the story feel unnecessarily disjointed. These were especially puzzling because it just felt like the transitions were very sudden or jarring when providing just a smidge more context or a bit more content prior to the transition wouldve eliminated the problem.

• No gun draw control. Gun may only be drawn when combat scenario starts. This is more of a pet peeve of mine. I'm the sort that likes to shoot the environment to see how it reacts so anytime I couldnt draw my gun to shoot a vase or a painting the arbitrary limitation reminded me that I was playing a game and immediately removed me from whatever immersion I had at that point.

• Oddly reflective white areas on the eyes and lack of shaders on and around them in some heavily lighted scenes make them stick out like a sore thumb when everything else looks damn near real.

All that said I dig the game a lot. Gunplay is fun albeit hard as I tend to suck at TPSs in general but it's really the atmosphere and the story that steal the show for me. While the story is a bit predictable at parts there are some unexpected twists and the characters themselves make it for me. The use of discover-able items and sound logs to provide insight into certain characters is really well done. I specially liked the flyer where Tesla drew demon horns on Edison.

Overall the game is very indicative of inexperience thanks to some odd design decisions. But given that this is RADs first AAA title it's nothing that really surprised me. It's not likely to be anyone's Game of the Year but at the same time it's not by any means a bad game. I certainly don't think it's deserving of the reaming it's received in reviews especially since it's released with a rock solid Framerate and no glitches that I've seen or heard of outside of a friend reporting a solitary crash to system menu but that was while using the share function.

It's a shame when games that release stuffed to the gills with DLC and plans for countless more or patently broken games that don't work as advertised or intended receive stellar scores (9s and higher) while a solid contained game like this one is rated so dismally by so many. I guess maybe I just don't see eye to eye with most reviewers any more. We clearly have different priorities/desires when it comes to games. I really enjoyed the game. I'm looking forward to my second playthrough and am excited and hopeful whatever follow up RAD might have planned.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
- Sound direction (OST, ambient noise, weapon feedback etc) are all incredibly well done. Hands down among the best I've heard in a game.

main reason im waiting for my surround sound to get setup before i even think about playing the game.

it's just sitting in the wrapper right now...teasing me.

Well that's unbelievable. That's like
MGS4
bad but without the long game.

vg260

Well, if you say so.

I feel Youtube is a poor replacement for playing video games, due to the game aspect not really translating well to a play button. It may just be for me, but I actually prefer to experience all of the game, not watch someone else experience it on my behalf (which is nice of them, but wholly unnecessary). Oh well.

I'm refering to the premise of this game specifically being "must play" for graphics alone. When you have no interest in what the game offers, YouTube is good enough equivalent for experiencing the graphics. You can see the graphics of this game at the same resolution and frame rate at decent enough compression to get the gist.

RexNovis

Banned
I'm refering to the premise of this game specifically being "must play" for graphics alone. When you have no interest in what the game offers, YouTube is good enough equivalent for experiencing the graphics. You can see the graphics of this game at the same resolution and frame rate at decent enough comptession to get the gist.

No you really can't. Nothing I have seen posted online comes anywhere close to what I saw while playing the game on my TV it is absolutely breathtaking how gorgeous this game can be. There is no substitute for seeing it rendered on your screen right in front of you. Screencaps and videos just dont do it justice in the slightest.

benzy

Ch 15 actually contains a lot of action and gunplay with many enemies, where you're given use of most of the weapons found throughout the whole game. It wasn't drawn out, if anything it was just way too short. You sort of make it sound like all you do is run through a bunch of rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom