• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

chunk3rvd

The latest build makes it possible to use remote play on phones running 5.0. They had builds that worked on older android versions without root for months now.

Using the DS4 seems to be working for some. But mostly those that got it to work have their phone rooted. There is another way around that without having to root it, which is creating a second account but this method only works for local play.

Thanks. Would a 2013 Nexus 7 be good for something like this then? I think those can be rooted from what I can see. Looking for something I can use to play Bloodborne like this when the Mrs wants the TV:

gcm10-authentic-fa9fe78c96f51c01a677ca03c98c35ad-460.jpg

If it can play any emulators that would be a bonus. Looks like a rooted Nexus with DSmanager, retroarch and the remote play app would fit what I'm after? I'm guessing I should go for the 2GB model to get the most options for what I can emulate?

Sorry if some of my questions are a little OT but didn't really want to start a new thread for this and can't see any recent tablet based threads

fuetilo

Neo Member
Works well in Redmi 1s. ANDROID 4.3. Sometimes there are conection problems after a While.

I usually play 2 or 3 Destiny assaults every night this way.

Lnkn52

Thanks. Would a 2013 Nexus 7 be good for something like this then? I think those can be rooted from what I can see. Looking for something I can use to play Bloodborne like this when the Mrs wants the TV:

If it can play any emulators that would be a bonus. Looks like a rooted Nexus with DSmanager, retroarch and the remote play app would fit what I'm after? I'm guessing I should go for the 2GB model to get the most options for what I can emulate?

Sorry if some of my questions are a little OT but didn't really want to start a new thread for this and can't see any recent tablet based threads

On the OP of that xda thread, it has a list of compatible devices and the Nexus 7 is part of that list. So you're good.

smile_es

Neo Member
Does anybody know what are the minimum bandwidth requirements for internet remote play?

A long time ago this worked flawessly. I was able to set up a decent play session using my Vita from a crappy hotel wifi at Dusseldorf (Germany) to connect to my PS4 at home in Madrid (Spain).

I also was able to set up a connection from Barcelona using 3G tethering with no issues.

However, recently I have been trying internet remote play in different scenarios with no luck at all.

Now I am at my parents house in Algeciras (Spain, 700 km away from Madrid, where my PS4 is located)) and trying to connect with no luck; I always get that low bandwidth error.

This is driving me insane since I have a decent connection here (cable 100 down, 10 up) and same at home in Madrid.

Does anybody know what the hell is going on with internet remote play?

Thanks!!!

Omerta

Necrobump:

I got a Sony z3 recently and the connection between the phone and the ps4 is so much worse than my vita... Does the z3 do a direct connection?

Any tips?

DieH@rd

Banned
Does anybody know what are the minimum bandwidth requirements for internet remote play?

1mbit for lowest picture quality, 5mbit or more for maximum image quality.

The connection errors mostly happen because of funky routers. To fix it, start with checking if uPNP is enabled on receiving router.

smile_es

Neo Member
1mbit for lowest picture quality, 5mbit or more for maximum image quality.

The connection errors mostly happen because of funky routers. To fix it, start with checking if uPNP is enabled on receiving router.

I am 99% this is something on the router, but I do not know what should change on my router to make it work.

uPNP enabled and console IP on DMZ.

I think I will end up buying another a router :(

reKon

Banned
A router with a 5ghz band is a must if you're using remote play with a phone. I suggest a reliable dual band router.

quabba

A router with a 5ghz band is a must if you're using remote play with a phone. I suggest a reliable dual band router.

I use my z3 with ds4 and that bracket thing in the pic, on 5ghz with a wireless access point that does AC the connection on 5ghz is good on high quality, the input lag makes fine aiming hard though so its still not the best for fps, well at least not trying to snipe in far cry 4 wasnt.

I Will try out sleeping dogs later to see how that works.

DieH@rd

Banned
Quick report for Bloodborne.

Just to report that default Remote Play control scheme for Bloodbore is quite good.

- Backtouch is used for R3 [reset camera] and L3 [mark enemies].
- L1/R1 are on shoulder buttons
- L2/R2 are on the bottom corners of the front display.

QeIIYZT.jpg

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Quick report for Bloodborne.

Just to report that default Remote Play control scheme for Bloodbore is quite good.

- Backtouch is used for R3 [reset camera] and L3 [mark enemies].
- L1/R1 are on shoulder buttons
- L2/R2 are on the bottom corners of the front display.

QeIIYZT.jpg

I got a Bloodborne related email from Sony that specifically highlighted Vita remote play. Good to hear it works well, I might give it a shot when I finally get the game later today.

Man, I'm fucking dying to remote play on my Xperia Z3 but our internet just isn't good enough. This is so frustrating. I can get a game to run for maybe 10~ seconds max. Can't wait to move out and graduate to this centuries internet.

DieH@rd

Banned
PSA:

PS4 firmware 2.50 and Vita firmware 3.50 are out and they are both needed for 60fps Remote Play [60fps mode is activated inside Vita app].

RP is awesome in 60fps mode!!! Video stream is rock solid smooth and latency is lowered. The only downside is that game DVR is not active in 60fps mode!

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
PSA:

PS4 firmware 2.50 and Vita firmware 3.50 are out and they are both needed for 60fps Remote Play [60fps mode is activated inside Vita app].

RP is awesome in 60fps mode!!! Video stream is rock solid smooth and latency is lowered. The only downside is that game DVR is not active in 60fps mode!

Latency definitely has improved noticable. Anybody try pstv remote playyet?

Murdoch

Can anyone do some testing to see just how much remote play has improved in this update. The only reason I bought a Vita originally was for remote play and I sold it because it didn't quite cut the mustard.

Worth a repurchase?

DieH@rd

Banned
From my short test, selecting 60fps seems to improve streams even from 30fps games, too.

Yeah, gameplay looks to be smother and latency is lowered. :D

Shame we could not get this functionality on day1. RP would then get even better chance to gain larger following.

bobbytkc

ADD New Gen Gamer
Yeah, gameplay looks to be smother and latency is lowered. :D

Shame we could not get this functionality on day1. RP would then get even better chance to gain larger following.
It doesn't really matter. In the end, remote play is not a system selling feature, even if it is a welcomed one.

DieH@rd

Banned
Can someone please create 60fps video of the 60fps RP [with both Vita and HDTV visible on the screen, indlucing OS, one 60fps game and one 30fps game]? My phone can only manage 30fps video recording.

ParityBit

PSA:

Where is the Vita app? On the PS4? Sorry for this question ...

f@luS

More than a member.
latency is much better on my pstv

it was almost unplayable before, now its really smooth and no controller lag

Danneee

PSA:

What? I was sure that this wouldn't apply to the Vita b/c hardware restrictions. Even though I do my RP through me Z3 this is very nice!

f@luS

More than a member.
has anyone tried the remote play from xperia Z3 after installing the new firmware PS4 ?

it says the application need to be updated

so cant use yet

cant wait to have it on my Z3 tablet @ 60fps

beside this, its MUCH MUCH improved on pstv, really

DieH@rd

Banned
I was sure that this wouldn't apply to the Vita b/c hardware restrictions.

Vita has a good hardware inside [quadcore ARM Cortex A9], 544p60 video stream is no problem for it. Most likely its SoC has a processing block that is dedicated only to work with encoding/decoding H264 video streams.

Withnail

The update for the Android remote play app is available for me on an Xperia Z2, with new frame rate options. Nice, I thought 60fps would be Vita only.

thenexus6

Whats the best way to optimise remote play? My PS4 is connected via lan cable. Should I have connect directly to PS4 enabled or not in remote play settings?

MikeyB

Haven't tried the update yet. However, I am not experiencing noticeable lag with remote play from a PS TV in a different building than my PS4. I avoided remote play for months because I heard the lag was bad. Tried it the other night... nothing noticeable.

I'm a bit late the party here, but when people say "what is next gen gameplay?" it's remote play. That's the next gen way to play games.

I wish i had this as a kid when the parents wanted to watch tv but i wanted to game. Nowadays i let the gf watch netflix on the ps3 upstairs and i stream games to the vita from the ps4.

Paltinumed Diablo while on the shitter!!

Remote play 10/10

Bittercup

does the customised controls either from ps4 or vita carry into remote play?
Yes, you can customize the controls on the Vita and this works even with remote play. Changing buttons on the PS4 has no effect.
Unfortunately it's not possible to change functions that are on the touch pads. I hope Sony adds this as well.

Haven't tried the update yet. However, I am not experiencing noticeable lag with remote play from a PS TV in a different building than my PS4. I avoided remote play for months because I heard the lag was bad. Tried it the other night... nothing noticeable.

I have heard stories about remote play being better when you're on a separate network trying to connect in than when you're on the same network but using a PS TV in a different room.

KyleCross

Sadly the 60fps update hasn't seem to have improved my Remote Play experience. I still end up getting disconnected after a few minutes and the image quality goes to shit half-way through. I guess it isn't a big deal for me tho because I am almost never in the need for it. Now if I had a desk job or something then it'd be great to have and I'd be pissed it doesn't work well for me.

Also with the new ability to re-assign keys on the PS4, does that mean we can now make L2 and R2 be L1 and R1 for proper shooting controls on the Vita? The back touch pad stuff just doesn't work for crap.

Stike

Sadly the 60fps update hasn't seem to have improved my Remote Play experience. I still end up getting disconnected after a few minutes and the image quality goes to shit half-way through. I guess it isn't a big deal for me tho because I am almost never in the need for it. Now if I had a desk job or something then it'd be great to have and I'd be pissed it doesn't work well for me.

Also with the new ability to re-assign keys on the PS4, does that mean we can now make L2 and R2 be L1 and R1 for proper shooting controls on the Vita? The back touch pad stuff just doesn't work for crap.
Curiously asking, do you have Apple routers and network equipment AND remote play set up to it connect to the Vita directly?
If yes, this exact problem happens to me.

As soon as I switch to direct connection (PS4 is wired anyway) I get much better results, even a better range through walls.

That sucks. I have this exact problem and was getting excited that the update might actually improve it. Still going to give it a try tonight though.

Curiously asking, do you have Apple routers and network equipment AND remote play set up to it connect to the Vita directly?
If yes, this exact problem happens to me.

As soon as I switch to direct connection (PS4 is wired anyway) I get much better results, even a better range through walls.

I have 110/15 internet, ports open, and a wired PS4 and I can only connect through wifi 1 out of 10-15 attempts sitting right next to the PS4. When I do, I get an extremely shitty laggy signal and the connection is dropped within 30 seconds. Direct connect is the only thing that works consistently and well for me, but even that will inevitably drop within 10-15 minutes. I've had the exact same experience in my previous apartment with 50/50 Verizon internet and a different router. I assume it's wifi interference as both apartments are pretty large tenant wise.

I connect directly to my PS4 when I use remote play and I had connection issues in the past. I could play a few minutes and then the dreaded icon of slowness would appear.

I played for a solid hour on remote play after the update with the high graphics setting and not once did I see the icon! I bought a PS4 with the anticipation that I can remote play most of my games since I have kids and a wife who watches her shows.

I never felt confident enough to invest in too many games because remote play was so flaky. I'm hoping that this truly does improve it to the point where I can dig into more games without worrying about whether I will have a good experience or not.

Great experience so far, here's hoping that these patches did the trick.

The update has fixed remote play for me. It hasn't stuttered, and the framerate is solid. I couldn't play 5 minutes before disconnecting the last time I tried.

I connect directly to my PS4 when I use remote play and I had connection issues in the past. I could play a few minutes and then the dreaded icon of slowness would appear.

I played for a solid hour on remote play after the update with the high graphics setting and not once did I see the icon! I bought a PS4 with the anticipation that I can remote play most of my games since I have kids and a wife who watches her shows.

I never felt confident enough to invest in too many games because remote play was so flaky. I'm hoping that this truly does improve it to the point where I can dig into more games without worrying about whether I will have a good experience or not.

Great experience so far, here's hoping that these patches did the trick.
The update has fixed remote play for me. It hasn't stuttered, and the framerate is solid. I couldn't play 5 minutes before disconnecting the last time I tried.

Faith restored! I really hope it works for me later.

Blackthorn

"hello?" "this is vagina"
Top Bottom