• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

I haven't had any problems and both are connected via WIFI to my RT-AC66U. Framerate and Video set to high also. I wonder if those having problems would benefit from a better router?

My PS4 and PSTV are hardwired. Played a little Resogun and BFHardline remoteplay this morning and it was glorious at 60fps. Still a touch of lag but negligible. Can't wait for the bump to 1080p!

Edgeward

Remote play on PSTV is good for me. Can do 60fps and high settings so now playing a game like Dust doesn't feel as muddy. Great update for me.

I must say, the remote play is working magically some way some how. I used to lose connection after 2 minutes of play. Just played for about 20 minutes with no disconnect symbol the whole time. I don't know what's going on, but I'm skeptically optimistic at this point.

DieH@rd

Banned
RemotePlay has always worked really well for me...

so is there any way to further improved the image/video quality?

Vor Vita [1080p>544p stream] and VitaTV [1080p>720p stream]... no. But it would be nice if they can enable 1080p60 video stream for SharePlay and Android RP.

However, thing that would dramatically imprtove Vita RP are official DS4 support and official Vita grip accessory that has physical R2/L2 buttons.

Murdoch

I connect directly to my PS4 when I use remote play and I had connection issues in the past. I could play a few minutes and then the dreaded icon of slowness would appear.

I played for a solid hour on remote play after the update with the high graphics setting and not once did I see the icon! I bought a PS4 with the anticipation that I can remote play most of my games since I have kids and a wife who watches her shows.

I never felt confident enough to invest in too many games because remote play was so flaky. I'm hoping that this truly does improve it to the point where I can dig into more games without worrying about whether I will have a good experience or not.

Great experience so far, here's hoping that these patches did the trick.

Can you keep me updated with your gaming experience via remote play? I'm in the same boat as you and would re-purchase a Vita if it is genuinely improved.

CivRab

Vor Vita [1080p>544p stream] and VitaTV [1080p>720p stream]... no. But it would be nice if they can enable 1080p60 video stream for SharePlay and Android RP.

However, thing that would dramatically imprtove Vita RP are official DS4 support and official Vita grip accessory that has physical R2/L2 buttons.

This is what I'm waiting on its a pain in the ass to stretch my finger over to the back right touchpad to target lock in Bloodborne, took me like 6 attempts to down the first boss so for now I just use in in bed to grind blood echos.

Stike

Update: The new firmwares have essentially fixed my RP issues!

Before, direct connection was the only viable way to get through the next wall. Now, I can use the regular connection through TWO walls with 60 fps.

Guess it wasn't my network setup all along...

Z3M0G

Working quite a bit better from my bedroom (ps4 in basement, pretty much center of the house. Bedroom on main floor at far wall).

Im quite happy! I wonder if not going direct connection would be even better... my router is just next to the ps4 though...

This is a huge improvement for me. Wow. 60fps Super Stardust HD or Resogun over remote play is amazing. The only game that the 60fps couldn't really keep up with the 60fps so far is Zen Pinball 2, but I've got that on Vita natively.

I can now see getting a Vita TV even to basically be able to play PS4 games in the study.

Afrit

This!
Please Sony.

King_Moc

Banned
i was having pretty crap results over wifi so i bought some 500 Mbps powerline adapters, and now it works like a charm

I've just done the exact same thing. Not got them yet though. Is it a perfect 1080p and 60fps? And is there noticeable artifacting?

Zabby

I have a problem: when I try to use remote play from home, the psvita automatically tries to connect straight to the ps4 without going through wifi. Thing is, my PS4 is too far away so it keeps disconnecting. Since my router is way closer, is there any way to connect through WiFi even from home?

King_Moc

Banned
720p maximum, and there will always be artifacts.
The more of the screen that changes, the worse they will be. 1st person shooters are the worst, Far Cry 4 is horrific, but Bloodborne is fine, all those blacks ramp down the data requirements that the encoder needs to process.

720p max? That's strange, the Shield does 1080 over wireless without much issue. Oh well, I'm sure I'll cope.

That sucks. I have this exact problem and was getting excited that the update might actually improve it. Still going to give it a try tonight though.

I have 110/15 internet, ports open, and a wired PS4 and I can only connect through wifi 1 out of 10-15 attempts sitting right next to the PS4. When I do, I get an extremely shitty laggy signal and the connection is dropped within 30 seconds. Direct connect is the only thing that works consistently and well for me, but even that will inevitably drop within 10-15 minutes. I've had the exact same experience in my previous apartment with 50/50 Verizon internet and a different router. I assume it's wifi interference as both apartments are pretty large tenant wise.
Yeah, wifi is shit at my apartment as well. If I ever remote play from another location the experience is fine. Sucks because I tell my wife to take the main TV whenever she wants and then I end up fighting with the Vita and messing with the router settings.

I have a problem: when I try to use remote play from home, the psvita automatically tries to connect straight to the ps4 without going through wifi. Thing is, my PS4 is too far away so it keeps disconnecting. Since my router is way closer, is there any way to connect through WiFi even from home?
Yes; this is a PS4-side option and can only be disabled while not on remote play, lol.

DieH@rd

Banned
How does VitaTV handle remote play with the PS4? I was thinking of getting one for my office TV.

Does it do 1080p, etc?

Remote Play is great on VitaTV, it even has LAN port. With it you can eliminate all wireless streaming issues if PS4 is also connected to router with cable.

Max output of VitaTV is 720p, and RP stream is also delivered in that resolution [720p60].

ParityBit

Remote Play is great on VitaTV, it even has LAN port. With it you can eliminate all wireless streaming issues if PS4 is also connected to router with cable.

Max output of VitaTV is 720p, and RP stream is also delivered in that resolution [720p60].

Any chance of it going 1080P? The 60 FPS is nice though.

720p max? That's strange, the Shield does 1080 over wireless without much issue. Oh well, I'm sure I'll cope.

i think it is more of a limitation of the vitatv hardware rather then the streaming tech. even on games run locally, it can only output a max of 720p

since hooking up the powerline its a perfect 720p/60fps with no stuttering. there are artifacts in certain areas. like switching from bloodborne back to the home screen you see them for a second. but in game has been perfect

i've only played bloodborne on it so cant comment on others. using the ps4 os runs perfect in 60 fps mode though

i think it is more of a limitation of the vitatv hardware rather then the streaming tech. even on games run locally, it can only output a max of 720p

since hooking up the powerline its a perfect 720p/60fps with no stuttering. there are artifacts in certain areas. like switching from bloodborne back to the home screen you see them for a second. but in game has been perfect

i've only played bloodborne on it so cant comment on others. using the ps4 os runs perfect in 60 fps mode though

i played bloodborne and wolfenstein. felt like there was zero lag now. noticeably less lag than pre-update/standard mode. frame-rate wise i didn't feel like wolfenstein was 60fps all the time. it was significantly better than before which looked like 30 with stutters, but it definitely wasn't as smooth as the locked 60 you see on the ps4 natively.

eitherway remote play is just getting better and better every time they update it. i wish there was a pc remote play app or something else that could do 1080p now. bloodborne was looking like a ps3 game on the pstv due to the lowered res

wilflare

ditto that - OLED + Vita DS4 support

Much much better for me. PS4 is wired and Vita TV is on wifi. Controller latency is barely noticeable. Played Spelunky and Bloodborne as test games.

Omerta

Just tried remote play after the update with a vita first, then my Sony Z3 phone...

The vita is excellent. I use a direct connection and the ds4 workaround and it's definitely better. Dragons Age Inquisition ran perfectly; great frame rate, no sound hiccups (this was a problem before) and I can now slide the brightness all the way up - which is awesome!

The z3 experience was less impressive. Clearly, I'd benefit from a direct connection but to my knowledge, the phone can't do that. It played fine for two minutes or so and then the dreaded poor connection icon reared it's ugly head.

Now to be fair, I've done no work with my router... It's hard wired into my ps4 though. I'm not the "router guy", I don't know how to change the settings to benefit remote play and the vita works so well in the house that I'm not too bothered.

If I ever wanted to play outside the house though, I'd be screwed.

Overall and for my needs, the update has greatly improved my remote play experience.

Can you keep me updated with your gaming experience via remote play? I'm in the same boat as you and would re-purchase a Vita if it is genuinely improved.

So far it's been consistent with no lag still. Played a few hours last night and tonight on GRAB and Driveclub and it's been a great experience. not once did I see the weak connection icon and things have been great - it's what I wanted remote play to be like from the beginning.

I tried my best to play prior to this update to the extent of trying several setups, even putting the PS4 litreally at my feet and always had some issues. This is a godsend!

Remote play over Wifi to my PS Vita in the same room is drastically improved with the 60 fps settings, however it definitely drops frames all over the place.

Not a huge complaint in all though honestly, because cutting that input lag down in half has made a game like Pinball Arcade actually playable where as before it really wasn't for me.

Cade

After the Fixing Vita Wi-Fi Connection thread, figured I'd give 60fps remote play a try.

Goddamn. Coupled with the Vita's wi-fi being less shitty to where this feels even less laggy doing 60fps compared to prior 30, remote play is now insanely good. MGS GZ feels and looks like a native Vita title.

DieH@rd

Banned
My "turn wifi power settings mode off" recommendation is clearly painted RED in the OTs FAQ since the beginning of time.

Shame so many people missed it.

Trogdor1123

I must have something goofy in my settings. I have a PS4 and a PSTV, one on each floor, and they are both using hardlines directly to the router. My PSTV connects fast to the ps4 but that lag is brutal. I must have something wrong in my settings. I don't think its my TV as I have other consoles on the same TV and there is no lag there at all.

Ill monkey around with it today but could it be a router setting? I supposed I should check my bandwidth first...

Zoe

I must have something goofy in my settings. I have a PS4 and a PSTV, one on each floor, and they are both using hardlines directly to the router. My PSTV connects fast to the ps4 but that lag is brutal. I must have something wrong in my settings. I don't think its my TV as I have other consoles on the same TV and there is no lag there at all.

Ill monkey around with it today but could it be a router setting? I supposed I should check my bandwidth first...
Did you make sure to turn off direct connect?

cooperma

Party chat- so I can hear people when I join the party on ps4 but they can't hear me when I connect directly to ps4. But if I join the party app on vita and then I connect to the router (instead of directly to the ps4) i can pass audio. Question- what is better for remote play performance? Router or direct?

Flunkie

Banned
After the Fixing Vita Wi-Fi Connection thread, figured I'd give 60fps remote play a try.

Goddamn. Coupled with the Vita's wi-fi being less shitty to where this feels even less laggy doing 60fps compared to prior 30, remote play is now insanely good. MGS GZ feels and looks like a native Vita title.

damn

Trogdor1123

Did you make sure to turn off direct connect?

Cant say I did, I thought that was only on the handheld vita.

I did seemingly forget to change the 60 fps setting though. I was sure I had but I guess not. Maybe I just looked at it lol. Either way, that helped a bunch when putting it on but it still has some lag. Will try some more tonight.

Im super impressed with the new firmware.

Terrified

My Vita is now streaming pretty much perfectly via direct connect, PS4 connected to router via powerline, and lag is now pretty much imperceptible.

I also have a new Vita TV downstairs, into router via Ethernet and it' shaggy as hell.

Question: should I turn off direct connection? I'm worried that'll make the Vita TV great but the Vita itself laggy.

Any help/advice greatly appreciated.

KyleCross

I'm interested in installing the unofficial RP function on my Samsung Galaxy S3, I hear my phone doesn't have to be jailbroken to do this? Can someone give an easy to follow tutorial for me, the forum listed in the OP has a tutorial and the downloads but I still find it a bit confusing.

hesido

My "turn wifi power settings mode off" recommendation is clearly painted RED in the OTs FAQ since the beginning of time.

Shame so many people missed it.

Oh, I also have a theory about why some people missed it. Not everyone would be really interested in Remote Play, may be because they don't have a PS4, may be because they are "having problems connecting even to their home network so why try anyway", may be because they are genuinely not interested... They may not even click the thread, or if they do, they may ignore the red warning as they would think it would be the optimal setting for remote play, but they may want to "keep downloading stuff when the screen is turned off" as that's what one may understand from that god-awful wording in settings menu even though the setting is not related to keeping downloads in stand-by.

Top Bottom