• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Remote Play Thread: Play PS4 games on Vita/VitaTV via WiFi at home or away

sonny4p

Ever since I bought my ps4 8 months ago I've been playing exclusively by RP. I love it !!! At 36 y/o I can't go back to playing in front of the TV anymore. Most of the time I've played it at work about 15 miles away from home and its perfect. Just beat the main game part of Dark Souls 2 SOTFS...good times.

Hustler

Not sure if this has been asked. Is there anyway to use Spotify on PS4 while using remote play on the Vita. I was playing Diable 3 via remote play and tried to start Spotify but I received an error and said it would return me to the main ps4 screen.

Any work around or anyone experience the same problem?

Vashetti

Banned
Not sure if this has been asked. Is there anyway to use Spotify on PS4 while using remote play on the Vita. I was playing Diable 3 via remote play and tried to start Spotify but I received an error and said it would return me to the main ps4 screen.

It's not a problem, it's intentional.

I remember getting it to work by starting Spotify on my PS4 first and then starting remote play after I had set Spotify up to play. Also might work if you link Spotify on a phone/tablet to your PS4?

Iorv3th

Just got a vita, and the remote play was pretty awesome the first day.

Problem is that it stopped fucking working after that. Now my Vita refuses to turn on my PS4 through the internet, which is weird because it totally did it fine the first day. I can't now, though. My PS4 is set to be able to turn on via PSN, and I have it set to auto login my account, and it's on rest mode. What gives? What can I do to fix this. It sucks that it works so well, but it's kind of a big fucking deal breaker if it can't turn the system on via the internet...

I know this is a late response, but has anything changed as far as internet speed or place you are trying to remote play from?

When the ps4 first came out they would let you connect at lower speeds, it was laggy but worked. Then I believe they updated it to require more bandwidth. I can't use it at my work anymore because the upload speed is too low.

Outside of that it could be router settings. Try to put your ps4 with a static IP and either DMZ it or make sure ports are open for remote play.

Are some Vitas just shitty for RP? I swear my 1000 is extra-bad.

When I try to remote in from work in the afternoon it fails 90% of the time with a "connection isn't good enough" message. I thought it was my home Comcast connection being inexplicably shitty in the middle of the day (work has a frigging fast connection so it's unlikely this side causing issues), but then I noticed that at the same time the Vita fails to connect, I can remote in just fine using the RP app on Bluestacks on my PC. Not sure why that would connect when the Vita itself won't. Edit: Not using wifi power save mode, etc.

Saro

I Have a problem with my z2's remote play. After updating to lollipop it can't remote play over other wifi points. I have uninstalled the app multiple times and factory reset my phone. My router is completely set up and it was working before the update. Any suggestion as to what I can do to fix this?

Just tried playing Saints Row 4 since buying it on sale at Best Buy the other weekend and the controls really suck!

L2/R2 for driving meaning read touch for accelerate/brake? Why?!?

I need to get the L2/R2 case for my slim now if I ever hope to RP this game.

Just tried playing Saints Row 4 since buying it on sale at Best Buy the other weekend and the controls really suck!

L2/R2 for driving meaning read touch for accelerate/brake? Why?!?

I need to get the L2/R2 case for my slim now if I ever hope to RP this game.

That's something I hate about RP, it's mandatory as per Sony buy so many devs just completely ignore or botch the controls. It's a shame that Sony doesn't have full custom mapping.

Saro

I Have a problem with my z2's remote play. After updating to lollipop it can't remote play over other wifi points. I have uninstalled the app multiple times and factory reset my phone. My router is completely set up and it was working before the update. Any suggestion as to what I can do to fix this?

Quoting myself for any help with this.

JB1981

Are some Vitas just shitty for RP? I swear my 1000 is extra-bad.

When I try to remote in from work in the afternoon it fails 90% of the time with a "connection isn't good enough" message. I thought it was my home Comcast connection being inexplicably shitty in the middle of the day (work has a frigging fast connection so it's unlikely this side causing issues), but then I noticed that at the same time the Vita fails to connect, I can remote in just fine using the RP app on Bluestacks on my PC. Not sure why that would connect when the Vita itself won't. Edit: Not using wifi power save mode, etc.

Ever since the latest firmware update I get the "connection isn't good enough" message. I def think it is a firmware issue. I never had this problem in the past using the same network.

Odd thing is if I try about 3 or 4 times it eventually connects no problem and the latency is quite good.

Omerta

I just ordered some "thumbies" from eBay. They're a stick on capacitive touch button designed to give smart phones, physical buttons.

I've seen a guy on YouTube stick the thumbies to copper tape (used as a conductor) to the rear touch pad. This allows you to mount the buttons away from the touch zone on the rear pad to a more comfortable location.

Anyone else tried this? The buttons look pretty cheap but it has to be an improvement for remote play.

I'll report back when they arrive in the post.

BibiMaghoo

That's something I hate about RP, it's mandatory as per Sony buy so many devs just completely ignore or botch the controls. It's a shame that Sony doesn't have full custom mapping.

It does? Do the mapping on the PS4 from the Vita. You can even add the mapping options to the PS buttons hold screen.

Planet

The PS4 mapping settings are ignored in Remote Play. The Vita mapping settings only apply to buttons, which are usually fine, not the touch configuration.

It does? Do the mapping on the PS4 from the Vita. You can even add the mapping options to the PS buttons hold screen.

Can you teach me how? Because whenever I try it doesn't work. If I change the settings on the PS4, the custom Vita controls set by devs override that. If I hold the PS button down, nothing shows up for newer games, only PS1 classics. And as far as I'm aware, you can't map the rear touch pad, only the physical buttons which is the issue since the rear touch pad is usually the issue.

I have a minor major question. Can I remote play if my Ps4 is my secondary system for my account? I'm having my account on my friend's PS4 and set to primary for sharing games with him.

DieH@rd

Banned
I have a minor major question. Can I remote play if my Ps4 is my secondary system for my account? I'm having my account on my friend's PS4 and set to primary for sharing games with him.

Remote Play account will only connect to the PS4 that has that same account activated.

Lexxism

Under Remote Play Connection Settings > Enable Remote Play, there's an option of "Connect directly with PSTV/PSV". Does it need to be check or I'm without it?

DieH@rd

Banned
Under Remote Play Connection Settings > Enable Remote Play, there's an option of "Connect directly with PSTV/PSV". Does it need to be check or I'm without it?

If you check that, Vita will first try to connect directly to your PS4 using WiFi modules [connection will not go via the router].

Direct connection is IMO the best way to access RP, but stream will be shit if you are also using PS4 WiFi module for general internet connection. Use LAN cable for that.

For some user, going via router can provide better experience [LAN cable is also preffered there].

Lexxism

If you check that, Vita will first try to connect directly to your PS4 using WiFi modules [connection will not go via the router].

Direct connection is IMO the best way to access RP, but stream will be shit if you are also using PS4 WiFi module for general internet connection. Use LAN cable for that.

For some user, going via router can provide better experience [LAN cable is also preffered there].
Ah. That's why it was a little bit laggy despite using the 60fps mode. Okay I'll uncheck that one later to see if it improves a lot. Yeah, Im definitely using a lan cable on my ps4.

If i wanted to connect to a ps4 from my xperia phone but dont want it to be my primary console is there a way?

I have a ps4 upstairs and down, but whenever i try to connect it logs the upstairs one (my primary) out of whoever is on it and trys to log me in, but im trying to connect to the one in my living room!

edit

I just had to swap primarys around and register the phone DOH!

Lexxism

Turn off low power WiFi mode on Vita. That kills a lot of performance of the stream.
Yeah, I did that earlier. The RP definitely improved a lot. Unchecked the one I mentioned and it's perfectr now. It's like I'm playing on my PS4. I guess the 60FPS definitely helped a lot.

DieH@rd

Banned
Thanks for your help. I'm now playing Remote Play, while my brother is playing PS3 on the TV. This is awesome.

kqpwriiaxu.gif

It must be my internet, because the feature is pure garbage for me. No matter what time of day. I can hardly have a smooth menu, let alone attempt to play a damn game on it.

WiFi Power Save unchecked, 9am in the morning.

DieH@rd

Banned
Do a quick check:

- completely turn off Internet connection in your PS4 settings
- turn on RP direct connection and 60fps on PS4
- turn off HDCP on PS4
- turn off WiFi power mode on Vita
- reboot both consoles
- test RP in the same room where PS4 is

This should make RP run well for vast majority of people. If it is still making problems, the only remaining thing that could bring issues is WiFi congestion from your/your neighbor devices. You can check that via laptop/Android/iOS WiFi scan [check the 2.4ghz range, not 5ghz], and then switch Vita to the appropriate non-congested channel [reboot after each change].

Planet

No need to make such a huge effort, I just have the PS4 connected via Ethernet cable, not enabled direct connect. The Vita goes through the router and the 60 FPS option is enabled there (the client asks fire the quality setting). The performance is really nice and I play online games that way, even with party voice.

Magnus

Nabbed a PS TV at the Best Buy sale and just tried it out on the upstairs bedroom TV.

My stream quality (Video/sound) is super solid with no tinkering at all (except for putting my PS4 on a wired connection instead of wireless).

The problem is the persistent 0.5-ish seconds of input lag.

Is it worth doing all the config and tinkering to try and overcome that, or is that half second of input lag always present no matter how fantastic your connection? It's making the prospect of playing any action game tricky. I tried a level in Shovel Knight and that minor lag drove me nuts.

Vashetti

Banned
Nabbed a PS TV at the Best Buy sale and just tried it out on the upstairs bedroom TV.

My stream quality (Video/sound) is super solid with no tinkering at all (except for putting my PS4 on a wired connection instead of wireless).

The problem is the persistent 0.5-ish seconds of input lag.

Is it worth doing all the config and tinkering to try and overcome that, or is that half second of input lag always present no matter how fantastic your connection? It's making the prospect of playing any action game tricky. I tried a level in Shovel Knight and that minor lag drove me nuts.

Are you wired or wi-fi on the PS TV? If wi-fi, make sure you have "Use Wi-Fi in power-save mode" disabled (unticked).

Also make sure all the image processing crap is disabled on your TV too (like Edge Enhancement, "TruMotion", all that bullshit just destroys IQ and adds input lag).

Magnus

Are you wired or wi-fi on the PS TV? If wi-fi, make sure you have "Use Wi-Fi in power-save mode" disabled (unticked).

Also make sure all the image processing crap is disabled on your TV too (like Edge Enhancement, "TruMotion", all that bullshit just destroys IQ and adds input lag).

The PS4 is on LAN down on the main floor. The PSTV in the bedroom can't also be, unless I run some long-ass ethernet cord across the house, which isn't happening. Haha.

Hadn't thought about all the TV image processing stuff - thanks!

So, my question still is - is it possible to get a PSTV with PS4 remote play going with pretty much 0 lag? Does anyone have this working? I don't mean the "it runs fine for me" situation, which a lot of people who just can't detect lag say (a lot of my friends throw their hands up in the air when we're all collectively looking at something that has input lag, because they just can't seem to detect it, making me the 'picky' one, lol). I mean truly lag-free.

Vashetti

Banned
The PS4 is on LAN down on the main floor. The PSTV in the bedroom can't also be, unless I run some long-ass ethernet cord across the house, which isn't happening. Haha.

Hadn't thought about all the TV image processing stuff - thanks!

Do the wi-fi power save setting too.

Also if you can rename the input on your TV, set it to Game or PC.

Magnus

Do the wi-fi power save setting too.

Also if you can rename the input on your TV, set it to Game or PC.

Thanks, will do! Will also do the 60 fps thing. If I can get it down to half the lag it's at right now, that'd be great. (Ideally less, of course)

Saro

I Have a problem with my z2's remote play. After updating to lollipop it can't remote play over other wifi points. I have uninstalled the app multiple times and factory reset my phone. My router is completely set up and it was working before the lollipop update. Any suggestion as to what I can do to fix this?

I'm still having trouble with this.

Planet

Sorry, no suggestions for you, Saro, as I have a Vita and a PS TV for Remote Play.

Regarding the 60 FPS option: when Sony introduced that feature, they must have completeley reworked the protocol. Before, there was annoying lag in the best of cases. And every time there was a hiccup in the connection, the audio got out of sync with the video. That issue didn't resolve itself over time, forcing you to restart the connection if it became unbearable. I was on the brink of dismissing the Remote Play feature completely as nice but gimmicky and ultimately useless.

After the patch, I Remote Play all the time. It works much more smooth, even on 30 FPS games. The lag is reduced to a point where you can play fast action games without massive problems. And the audio never gets out of sync now, even if there is a hiccup in the stream, which you can't completely prevent over WiFi.

tl;dr: Remote Play kinda sucked before Firmware 2.5, now it is absolutely amazing. They should promote it more.

Amy suggestions for remote play and using the back touch for triggers? Just got my Vita today and having a really hard time using it to play Batman. The rear touch is awful and difficult to tell if I'm actually pressing it or not.

Top Bottom