• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horizon: Zero Dawn Trailer (Guerrilla, post-apocalyptic pre-historic adventure)

Kei-

Is it really? I think it makes things worse in this type of game because it forces the developers to design everything from encounters and maps to difficulty and AI for co-op/multiplayer. Mass Effect 3 is a perfect example. A lot of the combat areas seemed to be designed for reuse in horde mode MP. This metastasized into horde mode style encounters all over the Singleplayer campaign. Dead Space 3 is another. The Co Op sections invariably went too far in the direction of tps action instead of survival horror. This ruined the feel of the entire campaign. I'd rather games decide what the want to be and focus on making that as good as possible instead of trying to do everything under the sun. This is particularly true of open world RPGs like Horizon where the amount of content has never been a concern. That's why games like The Witcher, Fallout, TES, Infamous, Batman, Deus Ex etc all focus on singleplayer and do it well.

I don't think that just because some games didn't do it well means it's inherently a bad idea, Uncharted 2 had multiplayer and co-op missions and that's considered the best in the series, Far Cry 3 and 4 are the most popular iterations and both have co-op and multiplayer, i had so much fun running around doing missions with my friend, and those weren't main story missions either, Peace Walker is another example of a game that's a great single player game and has great co-op as well. And as far as I know, all of those examples had the same core team. But that doesn't mean that if they didn't add those, they would be working on more single player content.

I absolutely love the character design and art style in general, the world looks amazing, combat looks strategic yet fast and stylish. I'm really excited for this game, I'm as excited as you can be for this game, but i'd be even more excited if it was co-op.

I think multi-player could've helped the game reach a larger audience. Multi-player adds to the replayability/playability of a game and this game being centered around hunting and hopefully acquiring loot and crafting is a perfect fit. I feel like Dark Souls, Monster Hunter and Lost Planet were all games that had terrific multi-player that adds to the experience and I think Horizon forgoing that will hurt its appeal somewhat. Maybe if there is enough demand for it, it can be added or even delayed.

No shoehorned multiplayer.

Violater

Really hoping they focus on quality and not some "we are 38x bigger than Skyrim" type dick measuring bullshit.

I'll never understand this "one or the other" mentality.
We have already seen where landscapes in a rpg can be both expansive and detailed.
I also have a feeling you are referencing a particular game.....

I'll never understand this "one or the other" mentality.
We have already seen where landscapes in a rpg can be both expansive and detailed.
I also have a feeling you are referencing a particular game.....

Nothing against expansive landscapes per se. I just think it's silly to talk about the scale of your game because I find it has no correlation to how good/epic/immersive/whatever a game turns out.

And yes, I can say my apprehensions about Witcher going open world have been justified after putting about 30 hours in. The 7 or so hours with the Baron were great, but everything else has really been dragging and I can't help but think it's because of all the fucking empty space and completely insignificant locations. But I don't want to derail the topic.

I love the meticulous design logic at work in the character and prop design. Practically every object is telling part of the story, as well as looking functional and cool.

Guy in Twitch interview said the game was PRE-Alpha.

Holy mother of FUCK.

How good is this game going to look when it releases?!

Don't expect HUGE improvements. GG is pretty skilled at developing the vertical slice. Some devs' games see a big visual polish as they reach the end, but I don't think that's typical for GG.

Unless they have some new piece of tech just on the verge of implementation that wasn't quite ready for this show, it's likely to look like this...which is to say, great.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
No shoehorned multiplayer.

Why would it be shoe-horned? It's not like it would feel out of place. I'm sure that knowing Guerilla, the multiplayer portion would be fleshed out. I don't understand why certain people are so against having multiplayer in a game in which it would congruous. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if I may feel that not having multiplayer is a terrible mistake.

I'm realizing there is serious contingent of males that don't like playing games as females. I guess that is why we get so few as leads.

There's also the whole "Guys are uncomfortable playing ladies who get romantically involved with men because they somehow equate it with a threat to their own sexuality" thing the Remember Me devs brought up, hence why so many female main characters in fiction are either gay, bi or asexual.

I for one hope Aloy saves the hell out of a dude in distress, then goes Geralt on his ass.
Then gets a nude trading card of him.

Hunter S.

I'm realizing there is serious contingent of males that don't like playing games as females. I guess that is why we get so few as leads.

I vote for a male lead. The game looks great except for having to play as a skinny girl. This is a world of hunters and gatherers and as we know most hunters are male. I demand historical accuracy here.

Funny cause lately I've been wanting to play more as a female character than male. There's just something so cool about a women that kicks butt

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
I think some people have taken for granted how talented GG are. I personally enjoyed KZ:SF, despite the flaws, though I can understand why the series never clicked with some.

Ever since the release of KZ2 they've been a pretty efficient studio. KZ3 didn't come too much later, and Shadow Fall was a launch title showcase and one of the few titles that didn't seem too terribly rushed compared to the competition.

To this day, KZ:SF can hang with any title technically, which is extremely impressive for a launch game.

I think it was only a matter of time that the studio was properly allowed to branch out, set their own course for games they wanted to make rather than being forced to churn on the requisite flagship Sony FPS title.

Sony has no Open World Action RPG's --- this fills a HUGE first party niche, and was something I wanted Sony Santa Monica to consider (and still do). I couldn't be happier that this game is being made, I just hope the studio is given the time and resources to deliver on the new IP rather than rushing it out the door -- which is something The Order suffered from, IMHO. Given how stacked 2016 is for Sony, I also don't think it would be a bad idea to delay this game until 2017 if it needs more time.

I know a lot of folks started to second-guess Guerrilla and consider them a lesser tier studio compared to some of the other ones Sony has, but with this game I think they're going to prove the doubters completely wrong.

TEH-CJ

Banned

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

Yup and I'm one of them. Nothing against females. I love them and respect them. I have the best girlfriend in the world and I treat her like a princess. But playing as one in a video game I cannot.

I just cannot enjoy it and immerse my self into the world. As with most high testosterone males we want to come home from a long day at work and put on a video game and feel empowered for a short while. I just cant do that when playing as chick with big tits and vagina.

only exception is Ellie from Last of US. and I have no idea why it didn't bother me with her.

I realize I'm going to get a lot of hate for his post and probably get banned from GAF but just wanted to be honest.

wow

You could have left that out.

I vote for a male lead. The game looks great except for having to play as a skinny girl. This is a world of hunters and gatherers and as we know most hunters are male. I demand historical accuracy here.

The game takes place in the future, with machine dinosaurs.
What part of that is history?

Hunter S.

I think statistics tend to back you up and when given a choice most males choose male.

kyser73

ANTM_BugEyes.gif

Mr.Mike

You could have left that out.

Could have left a lot of it.

Have we been giving any info on looting aside from the dino's? Harvesting natural resources?

I would have liked to see more of the rpg elements, because as far as I can see from the trailer it just looks like an action game (a really good one at that). I get why that sort of stuff wouldn't be in the reveal trailer though. I'm sure that stuff will get shown closer to release.

Playing as a hairy dude with balls and a big d*** is really empowering

Because
lesbian/bisexual
tomboy.

But seriously, you aren't the problem, merely a product of our society's outdated norms. One day we'll all be cool with stepping into the shoes of a cool, ass-kicking lady who is the equal or dominant partner in a heterosexual relationship, no matter how high our testosterone is.

Gay male protagonists, on the other hand, still have a very long road to mass acceptance in my opinion. Mostly because so few devs dare to try.

firelogic

Damn. So much negativity already for a game in pre-alpha. Everyone around here has been circle-jerking over The Witcher 3. That game is purely a single player experience. Did that get as many complaints as Horizon is?

Gamers today are just so annoying. Or maybe they've always been that way but now they have a voice.

"No MP? No buy."
"No co-op? No buy."
"Can't change gender? No buy."
"New IP? No buy."
"No dual audio? No buy."
"No physical disc? No buy."
"No custom soundtrack? No buy."
"Has optional DLC? No buy."

This is why we have 100 Assassin's Creed games. This is why we get generic FPSs. This is why we get generic everything. It's the gamer's fault.

Hunter S.

The game takes place in the future, with machine dinosaurs.
What part of that is history?
It looks like a hunter gatherer society. Not saying I wont play it, but I am saying if given a gender choice I will choose a male almost all the time. (Except fighting games where I play all sorts of characters ).

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
So has the main character been set in stone or are people just speculating out their arse ?

Least give us some mass effect style customization. I don't believe in rpgs with set characters.Don't play jrpgs and the witcher's story doesn't interest me in the least.

I know they wont be included but co-op and mp don't have to be a dirty terms. If it's built along side the base game it's usually going to be fine. Also just want to point out that mp doesn't have to be take away from sp at all. Dark souls is a great example of a good game having both.

Historical accuracy for a post apocalyptic world with dino robots? What planet are you from?

Why would it be shoe-horned? It's not like it would feel out of place. I'm sure that knowing Guerilla, the multiplayer portion would be fleshed out. I don't understand why certain people are so against having multiplayer in a game in which it would congruous. But hey, everyone is entitled to their opinion even if I may feel that not having multiplayer is a terrible mistake.

I was all for some form of co-op until they said it was going to be single player only. That tells me it doesn't into their vision of what this game should be because as you stated they are very comfortable with multiplayer.

The God

So has the main character been set in stone or are people just speculating out their arse ?

Least give us some mass effect style customization. I don't believe in rpgs with set characters.Don't play jrpgs and the witcher's story doesn't interest me in the least.

I know they wont be included but co-op and mp don't have to be a dirty terms. If it's built along side the base game it's usually going to be fine. Also just want to point out that mp doesn't have to be take away from sp at all. Dark souls is a great example of a good game having both.

Pretty sure it's a set character.

Mr.Mike

Damn. So much negativity already for a game in pre-alpha. Everyone around here has been circle-jerking over The Witcher 3. That game is purely a single player experience. Did that get as many complaints as Horizon is?

I wonder where the expectation of multiplayer or co-op came from. Was it part of the rumours/leaks, or is it just because they've previously made MP?

LOL, not discreet. Though, if you get banned for this, then there's something fucking wrong.

I always play as a female, particularly with character creation. I just like baddass chicks. Though, I find a lot of female leads to be either to emo or to butch / soulless. But I never have a particular problem with female leads in most cases. But whatever, to each their own and the world continues to spin.

kyser73

Ah but you see TW3 didn't have one piece of concept art showing more than one character on screen at once.

That's all it takes for MP to be 'confirmed' and then hearts to be broken by MP not actually appearing in the final product.

Top Bottom