• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

God of war and Horizon Zero Dawn TV shows coming

ripjoel

ebvjxskarm751.jpg

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Both God of War en Horizon were already announced last year for Prime and Netflix.

It's pretty much old news.

Whether its the OG games or the new ones, I cant see it working watching angry Kratos or dad Kratos. Best case scenario is just seeing some sick action scenes with cool choreography.
It would a joke if they convert and shrink the original trilogy to some flashback or text intro in the opening, those are imho required to fully understand where Kratos is now. Going to hell, killing a ton of characters, figthing on Gaia, becoming the GoW etc. are intense moments. But yeah, the script has to be overhauled entirely to not make it as bad as it was in the games. I really did not like any of the writing, the style and vocie acting was sometimes good though, especially in 3, but I think in the hands of a good writer and director this could easily strike gold for them. Gladiator meets Constantine meets mostly Clash of the Titans. Hopefully less of the latter's quality.
Same with Horizon. Just the word Robodinosaurs is basically a perfect pitch for every 10 year old. Even though Transformers already went there with Dinobots. But Transformers is what action stuff should not become, too shallow. At least big budget stuff, should not have direct to dvd level of scripts.

It would a joke if they convert and shrink the original trilogy to some flashback or text intro in the opening, those are imho required to fully understand where Kratos is now. Going to hell, killing a ton of characters, figthing on Gaia, becoming the GoW etc. are intense moments. But yeah, the script has to be overhauled entirely to not make it as bad as it was in the games. I really did not like any of the writing, the style and vocie acting was sometimes good though, especially in 3, but I think in the hands of a good writer and director this could easily strike gold for them. Gladiator meets Constantine meets mostly Clash of the Titans. Hopefully less of the latter's quality.
Same with Horizon. Just the word Robodinosaurs is basically a perfect pitch for every 10 year old. Even though Transformers already went there with Dinobots. But Transformers is what action stuff should not become, too shallow. At least big budget stuff, should not have direct to dvd level of scripts.

You are speaking as if they had good intentions with these shows. They don't. Which means that Kratos will be turned into some "daddy-with-issues" that will tell his son about his former toxic masculine self. Expect some flashback battle with very angry bad men ala 300 and that's it.

On Horizon, the bright scientist Aloy will try to prevent the evil schemings of the bad capitalist men who cause the end of the world (insert climate change). Flashforward to the present, it will be very much the same as the games but with an evil white man from the distant past that is brought back to life.

StereoVsn

Honestly I dont think God of War has a chance. The story is much more paper thin than you would think from the reception the games get. Whether its the OG games or the new ones, I cant see it working watching angry Kratos or dad Kratos. Best case scenario is just seeing some sick action scenes with cool choreography. Witcher season 1 had a couple genuinely cool fights. That's the best case scenario here.

Surprisingly, I think Horizon has some minimal potential. The 1st game has some cool story elements that could maybe work for a bit. Maybe.
As long as Kratos screams “Boyyy!” at every possible occasion it will be fine! Well, maybe not since it’s Amazon and they are shit at making TV series.

I dread to see what Netflix does with Horizon, lol.

You are speaking as if they had good intentions with these shows. They don't.
I have no idea who is involved. Maybe the right people are. The budget is often not the problem, which is also at least something. I guess expecting shit can never disappoint though. But still, I hope for better outcomes. And I don't even know Horizon yet, and disliked Kratos very much.

Sony would be dumb if they allow some weird Rings of Power or rushed GoT last seasons quality with their stuff.
Venom might have not stuck the landing, but so far nailed it with Spiderman especially the animation thing, much more than Marvel at least. Tolkien and HBO allowed those to happen, but I at least hope Sony is right now a bit better in greenlighting ideas with the right people. TloU was at least enjoyable even though some characters and plot points felt weird, starting with Bill doing a shoot out standing in the open.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It would a joke if they convert and shrink the original trilogy to some flashback or text intro in the opening, those are imho required to fully understand where Kratos is now.
That's literally what I would expect. They don't have the budget to make anything like the original games. It would require an effort on par with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. It's just a total non-starter. But they can have some guy moping around in the woods cutting trees and arguing with other human actors that don't look supernatural. And then stick in maybe 10-12 CG action scenes a season to blow your budget on the trolls and some ice axe stuff. You'd need someone like Peter Jackson to take on the original games.

P.S. flaming chains are going to look retarded.

Last edited:

Del_X

Aren't like 50% of mainline Sony characters LGBT now? Sounds fairly representative for one of Zoomers' most popular brands.

Aloy = gay
Ellie = gay
Kratos = bi
Mary Jane Watson = trans

shamoomoo

Well, that's how you get diversity and inclusion.
Make everyone gay, and black, and leave no straight.

And if anyone complains, is a bigot.

They just dont have enough neurons to try to make a change smooth enough for the people to get used to it. They're happy to brute force it down our throats. Retards.
Isn't David Jaffe the creator of Kratos and the GOW series? So what's problem? The creator is wrong now for changing his character?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Aren't like 50% of mainline Sony characters LGBT now? Sounds fairly representative for one of Zoomers' most popular brands.

Aloy = gay
Ellie = gay
Kratos = bi
Mary Jane Watson = trans
edit: moved my amazing new meme to other thread. sorry.

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

GoW I'm curious to see what they do. But personally, I couldn't careless about Horizon. That IP has never done anything for me. But hey, if the show is good, I may check that out.

Whitecrow

Banned
Isn't David Jaffe the creator of Kratos and the GOW series? So what's problem? The creator is wrong now for changing his character?
Im not talking about him, im talking about all woke people.

And doesnt matter how much you own a character. "Changing" it to fit into other times is cringe af.

FukuDaruma

It doesn't have to look like the protagonist. That's the death sentence of every adaptation when they try to get someone based on looks. Just hire a midget from the streets and let him play Kratos. Aloy could be Rose Leslie from GOT.

Rose Leslie is almost 40. They gonna want someone half her age.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Kratos I bet will go to Jason Statham or The Rock.

And Aloy will go to Rosie O Donnell.

Top Bottom