• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK continues to rock 09' - Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny (360) U.S. date/price

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
Wow, this game really sucks that bad!?? Dang, SNK/K2 had a chance to offer a kick ass 3D SamSho game. Ugh...oh well, will get at bomba $10 anyway..heh.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I played it when I lived in Japan. It's pretty awful. I will be avoiding it. Save your money and go play Tenka. Seriously.

1552peq.gif

So, whose bright idea was it to take one of the pioneer franchises of 2D weapon-based fighting games and turn it into a shitty take on Soul Calibur?

PSGames said:
Game doesn't look as bad as people here are making it out to be.

I think it's pretty bad. I think it looks bad too. The character portraits are really good though. I wish the game looked like that.

kitzkozan

SNK is releasing a lot of games,but they aren't rocking '09 by a long shot. :p

They are screwing up all over the place and as far as I am concerned,they haven't been on their games for years now.

The 3D KOF failed where Capcom did succeed with IV.The XBLA classics are all botched in one form or another.

KOF XII=botched.

Remember SNK vs Capcom? T_T

They screwed up so many things in the last few years that their reputation is permanently damaged imo.

Best thing that could happen to SNKPlaymore is Capcom buying them and phase out the rotten management.

To undo the damage,a Capcom vs SNK 3 would be perfect! I think the vast majority of western gamers started giving a crap about the SNK characters in Cap vs SNK 1 & 2.

I need to add this. I don't know what SNK's desgin philosophy was with this game. It just screams half ass. Just ape Soul Calibur all the way, or ape SF4 all the way. Not this in between lame shell of gameplay they have right now.

This just all pains me, because I love the Shodown series and characters. Such a waste.

I wouldn't say that SNK have been awful lately. Sure, Neowave, Maximum Impact, Samurai Shodown 5, SNK vs Capcom and the like weren't too interesting. But then you have KoFXI, Neo-Geo Battle Coliseum and SS Tenkaichi Kenkakuden which were all quite good. I was hoping that Edge of Destiny and KoFXII would keep up the recent trend but apparently not...

KTallguy

Banned
Just curious what turns people off from the game (360 Samurai Shodown), is it the animation style or the gameplay?

Like, looking at these videos, what turns you off the most?

Banned
Sadly this game is the 3rd best 360 exclusive still to come this year...

1. Halo 3 ODST
2. Forza 3
3. Samurai Showdown

:lol :D :lol :D

MrWhitefolks

Neo Member
While I totally appreciate what SNK is trying to do with their move into the realm of 3d, I'm still a little miffed that they haven't stayed true to their word about the port of KOF: MI Regulation A to the xbox360. :(

848484 said:
Sadly this game is the 3rd best 360 exclusive still to come this year...

1. Halo 3 ODST
2. Forza 3
3. Samurai Showdown

:lol :D :lol :D

What exactly was the point of this post. I swear Ive been reading a lot more silly comments with this new batch of juniors.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Tenka, XI , and NGBC were all horribly broken. The last good game to come from SNK was Sam Sho V Special.

SNK refuses to release that game though- supposedly due to the Nevada-tan stabbing.

XII is a good game, just everything else is wrong.

I'm going to buy it. I need to support SNK. They somehow became the starving african child of the industry. So, SNK, consider my purchase a donation.

Chozo

To Far Away Times said:
3D Sam Sho
Seven Syllables go here
Why was this made?

4-7-4?

And what I don't get is why they're localizing it in the first place. I got Samurai Showdown Anthology and the localization work for VI is...wanting (we're talking late 80's translation quality here). They seem to think no one gives a shit about SamSho in the states, so it seems odd that they're going through the trouble of localizing a critically-panned 3D game in the series.

Kai Ozu

ShinobiFist said:
I'm going to buy it. I need to support SNK. They somehow became the starving african child of the industry. So, SNK, consider my purchase a donation.

I feel kinda the same way about them. It took them this fucking long to start releasing games on modern platforms.

KTallguy said:
Just curious what turns people off from the game (360 Samurai Shodown), is it the animation style or the gameplay?

Like, looking at these videos, what turns you off the most?

Mainly the gratituous violence, actually. The SamSho games always had "fatalities" but they were mostly just logical extensions of what happens when someone swings a blade vertically through you, and a sprite splitting in two and blinking away is far from the detailed animations in this one. Since I'm slightly crazy I'm thinking about getting this just to try out the new characters (who indeed look really cool - but so did the new characters in the previous 3D games), but unless there's an option to turn off kills, I'll pass.

Top Bottom