• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SNK continues to rock 09' - Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny (360) U.S. date/price

Kumiko Nikaido

Vindication...sweet.
200762brp.jpg

SNK Playmore and Ignition Entertainment have stepped up 2009 with the release of The King of Fighters XII for 360 and PS3 (and KOF 98': Ultimate Match and Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves on XBLA). The party will continue on as the next entry in the Samurai Shodown series, Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny is due to arrive this holiday season.

Samurai Shodown: Edge of Destiny for Xbox 360 is targeted for a November release. Even better, the MSRP on this will be only $39.99.

However, the PS3 version of Samurai Shodown is currently MIA. It was announced last year for a simultaneous release with the Xbox 360 version, but as of right now it is in limbo. Perhaps it will arrive a little later?

even though i'd rather it to be a XBLA title, its retail price ain't that bad (i still think it shold be 29.99$)

btw, i don't remember SNK announcing a PS3 version, first time i heard of it was back at the MS Japan press conference earlier this year.

This is the 3d one right? Well, i'm a bit dubious, but if the impressions are good i'll pick up the PS3 version (presuming it ever makes an appearance).

BitchTits

After two shitty XBLA ports, and everything I've read about the half-assed job they did with XII, I just don't trust them any more. :(

And I'd completely forgotten this game even existed in any form.

KaYotiX

Banned
BitchTits said:
After two shitty XBLA ports, and everything I've read about the half-assed job they did with XII, I just don't trust them any more. :(

And I'd completely forgotten this game even existed in any form.

Agree, havent played KoFXII yet but from what im hearing im not missing much (just waiting on it from Gamefly)

KiNeSiS

Banned
I love the old sam sho's

I came here to see why PS3 wasn't listed, after the hives responses it doesn't sound like a loss....

Street Fighter IV has brought about a huge resurgence in the popularity of fighting games and all SNK Playmore is doing is pissing that opportunity away.

KiNeSiS

Banned
jaundicejuice said:
Street Fighter IV has brought about a huge resurgence in the popularity of fighting games and all SNK Playmore is doing is pissing that opportunity away.

Agreed I was major hyped for the new KOF, not anymore....

The graphics are pretty, I hear its a downgrade everywhere else....
I'm still going to buy a nice arcade stick for SF4, MVS2, & Tekken Series....
Any arcade sticks that function on both PS3 & 360 available?
Last gen I know there were plenty like this....

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
***THIS GAME IS COMPLETE GARBAGE. DO NOT BUY. IT PLAYS LIKE A BAD 3D FIGHTER FROM 1995. AVOID AT ALL COSTS***

This has been a public service announcement from the What-The-Fuck-Happened-With-SS Foundation. Please pass this along to anyone who expresses interest in this title; SNK cannot be rewarded with our money for releasing this kind of trash.

The $39.99 price point is their way of saying "yeah, we know it's crap and hope to get a few suckers to unload this game on!"

Avoid, avoid, AVOID. I cannot say this enough. And this is coming from a mega-huge SNK fan and fan of the developer's (K2) Tenchu games.

Man, I feel bad for Ignition. Seriously. I hope Shane is not forced to try and pimp this game out, that's gonna be brutal.

Enk

makes good threads.
Lyte Edge said:
***THIS GAME IS COMPLETE GARBAGE. DO NOT BUY. IT PLAYS LIKE A BAD 3D FIGHTER FROM 1995. AVOID AT ALL COSTS***

:-(

Oh well, it's back to SamSho 2 XBLA which nobody plays anymore.

Lyte Edge

outsidah said:

This is a doujin game that ended up getting an arcade release back in early '08. The arcade version makes all the bosses playable. It's not bad, but nothing really special, and the whole nazi thing it has going on is kind of creepy. The arcade I used to frequent in Japan got this at release, and it sat in the very back of the game center collecting dust next to Battle Fantasia and later on, the game this very thread is about, SS Sen! Akatsuki Blitzkampf kicks the shit out of SS though, because it has something called "good, responsive game play."

Lyte Edge

Enk said:
:-(

Oh well, it's back to SamSho 2 XBLA which nobody plays anymore.

You know how KOF XII is still a pretty good game despite all its shortcomings/broken online? Well, in the same way that XII is in desperate need of a good patch to fix its online, Edge Of Destiny is in even more desperate need of a patch to make it a good game.

I don't know what they were thinking when they released this.

Lyte Edge

Kai Ozu said:
Was this game made by SNK? Saying it's that bad makes me want to see for myself.

No, it was made by K2, the developer who took over on the Tenchu games after Tenchu 2. The 360 Tenchu was their last game before the original developer, Acquire, took over again for Tenchu 4.

Back on SS Edge Of Destiny, apparently K2 is made up of former SNK staff who worked on Samurai Shodown and Samurai Shodown II. Really makes you wonder how they ended up churning out this crud.

If you must buy this, absolutely wait for it to bomb before picking it up.

Remember how bad that PSOne SS 3D fighter was? It SMOKES Edge Of Destiny.

Holy shit this looks like shit :lol

First the super pixelated sprites and Mai-lacking KOF XII and now this?

SNK Playmore is obviously trying to commit suicide.

arstal

Whine Whine FADC Troll
Bootaaay said:
This is the 3d one right? Well, i'm a bit dubious, but if the impressions are good i'll pick up the PS3 version (presuming it ever makes an appearance).

The impressions weren't good. Besides, with SNK botching things, I'll wait on this one- and I love the Samsho series more then KOF.

And yes, KOFXII is a good game- just needs to be fixed, which will happen now guaranteed.

Lyte Edge

polyh3dron said:
Holy shit this looks like shit :lol

First the super pixelated sprites and Mai-lacking KOF XII and now this?

SNK Playmore is obviously trying to commit suicide.

This game is pre-KOF XII; it hit arcades last year. And it sucked. Big time.

It stinks because with the resurgence in fighting games' popularity lately, SNK could have stepped up to the plate and produced some amazing games, but this title is only going to hurt their reputation very, very badly.

It is amazing how SNK Playmore went from an awesome set of last-gen 2D fighting game releases to an "incomplete" game filled with online problems in KOF XII and a complete piece of crap like Edge Of Destiny during this generation. I think I'd even take the awful Metal Slug 3D over this.

We can only hope that they reworked the game play for the home version. Wouldn't keep my fingers crossed though.

Aaron

Lyte Edge said:
We can only hope that they reworked the game play for the home version. Wouldn't keep my fingers crossed though.
Nah. It sucked rocks at E3 (and I won all of my matches). Much more fun playing the incomplete Soul Calibur PSP. Worse, this is coming from someone who really enjoyed Maximum Impact. SNK should have counted it as a loss, and moved on.

Lyte Edge

polyh3dron said:
there's a metal slug 3D?

oh god no please say it ain't so

250px-Metal_slug_3d_cover.jpg

Yes, and it was AWFUL. Only came out in Japan AFAIK, and you can tell they were all ready for a western release (the game was already in English), but made the wise choice of not releasing it in the States.

Metal Slug 3D and KOF Maximum Impact 1 were SNK's two worst games last gen, but both of them are still better than what Edge Of Destiny turned out to be like. ;_;

Believe me, I wanted this game to be awesome. I love SS.

Lyte Edge

USD, check the KOF XII official thread. In a nutshell, XII feels like an incomplete game, and the online is completely busted, even after a patch. SNK has promised that they are going to be working to make the game better. But XII has good game play-- Edge Of Destiny does not.

shaolin242 said:
graphics are ok but it plays like toshinden or something. not interested at all

Toshinden was more responsive and flowed better than Edge Of Destiny does. :/

Aaron said:
Nah. It sucked rocks at E3 (and I won all of my matches). Much more fun playing the incomplete Soul Calibur PSP. Worse, this is coming from someone who really enjoyed Maximum Impact. SNK should have counted it as a loss, and moved on.

It's a crime that SNK allowed for a home version of this game to be produced. They should have given Maximum Impact Regulation A a next-gen visual makeover and released it with online play instead!

It's also going to be a huge irony if Edge Of Destiny ends up having good online play. :lol

Enk

makes good threads.
Ugh, just watch some matches off of YouTube for the first time and this really does look awful. From the looks of it it really doesn't even look like it plays like a SamSho game. Characters seem to be too large, movement looks stilted, too much close quarters combat, and the signature moves appear to be gone. Being someone who really likes SamSho and has purchased all the fighters so far this year, I don't see myself tempted in getting this.

Vids:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-TrK5bwgjo&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1KK6pAQy40&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_elVKcnJzLA&feature=related

Lyte Edge

Enk said:
Ugh, just watch some matches off of YouTube for the first time and this really does look awful. From the looks of it it really doesn't even look like it plays like a SamSho game. Characters seem to be too large, movement looks stilted, too much close quarters combat, and the signature moves appear to be gone. Being someone who really likes SamSho and has purchased all the fighters so far this year, I don't see myself tempted in getting this.

It doesn't. The game is a stiff, unresponsive 3D fighter. I wasn't exaggerating when I said it feels like a bad 3D fighter from 1995. I wish I was; I really enjoyed SS Tenka and loved playing as all the old characters again, and when Edge Of Destiny was announced, I figured it would be like a 3D version of that game. Early descriptions said it was more like Soul Calibur. It's not that either.

On the positive side, the game does have some cool-looking characters and good stage design, and the music is nice. Too bad none of that is important or matters when the game play is busted.

Arde5643

Sigh, why don't they just do a remake of SamSho 64?
Just add some cell shading to the old models and you're done.
That game was pretty good.

Why the hell would they even release SamSho: Edge of Destiny? smh.... :/

outsidah said:
This looks like absolute crap.. I'm a huge SNK fanboy and still support them but they really gotta clean up their act before they go dying again like it already happened to them once.

Unrelated - what game is this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoQVxwA8s8k&feature=related

Reminds me of Groove On Fight for the Saturn

Oh that's Akatsuki Blitzkampf Ausf. Achse AKA Super Nazi Fighter II Turbo. The game is quite good to be honest. If you get a chance to play then you should do so.

Lyte Edge said:

This has been a public service announcement from the What-The-Fuck-Happened-With-SS Foundation. Please pass this along to anyone who expresses interest in this title; SNK cannot be rewarded with our money for releasing this kind of trash.

The $39.99 price point is their way of saying "yeah, we know it's crap and hope to get a few suckers to unload this game on!"

Avoid, avoid, AVOID. I cannot say this enough. And this is coming from a mega-huge SNK fan and fan of the developer's (K2) Tenchu games.

Man, I feel bad for Ignition. Seriously. I hope Shane is not forced to try and pimp this game out, that's gonna be brutal.

Thanks for the heads up. I still don't think it's that bad and it may well be worth $40. They could put a demo to ease some minds but I think XII has done major damage to SNK's rep. I'll hold out hope that lessons have been learned.

outsidah said:

Akatsuki Blitzkampf has a strong community in Japan with tournaments and ranking battles in famous Japanese arcade centers like Ko-Hatsu[5] and some non-Japanese enthusiasts have gathered in communities like Shoryuken.com[6] (the official host of the Evolution fighting game tournaments in the US), where the game has received unofficial nicknames such as Jewpuncher.

Whoa.

Lyte Edge

Oh, the presentation's great too. You get all pumped up for some Shodown action, pick your character, and then...shit. The first time I played the game, I thought maybe the controls were legitimately broken. It was in a shitty old cab and I blamed my experience on that, then went to another game center that had it in its own (new) cab, and it played exactly the same.

The only thing I knew about the game going in were some reports that it played something like SS1. It is kind of (but not really) like that in that you can do some ultra-damaging AB slashes like the old school games, but that's about it. I've never seen a brand new game get abandoned so quickly like what happened with this one. Sucked even worse since they replaced Regulation A with it.

Top Bottom