• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is MGSV online dead?

longdi

Banned
A month from launch and still no details, no beta. Did they forgot to market it?

A successful online game needs regular patching and balancing, and a steady stream of contents. It could be konami it prints money cow. But KP is disbanding soon, so who is the team supporting Vonline?

robb_w7

Banned
Anyone buying MGS V for online is buying it for the wrong reasons

From what they have shown its looking like a nice addition to a predominately Single Player experience

IISANDERII

The Last of Us mp was barely talked about it and it turned out to have pay to win mechanics[many would argue at least] so they could be hiding something for MGS5 too.

Or maybe the online won't be quite ready at launch.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
MGSV online is not the same as Metal Gear Online

Auctopus

Do we need a thread of this every fortnight?

It's the game's secondary component and there's AAA games that get released with less footage than we've seen of MGO. The launch will be fine, the game will be fine. It's post-launch support you've got to worry about. Not every game needs a beta either.

The argument of 'we haven't seen much from it' is so pathetic. We didn't see anything of GTA V for a year before the trailer then another year before anything else.

fritzo

Anyone buying MGS V for online is buying it for the wrong reasons

From what they have shown its looking like a nice addition to a predominately Single Player experience

I'm buying it for BOTH honestly. I and many others played MGO2 for a long time after MGS4 came out. It was the best online experience I've ever played. Cannot wait for it!

Alienous

They can't cancel it. They've made promises regarding it being part of Metal Gear Solid V and content from the Collector's Edition being for Metal Gear Online.

I'm pretty sure it with launch after MGSV's release and be patched in. How long will it take? I think 2 weeks, like Grand Theft Auto V, would be the best case scenario.

My larger concern is how much the microtransaction influences spread to Metal Gear Online. I could see Konami approaching it as a free-to-play game, and I don't know if Kojima has/had the creative control over Metal Gear Online to stop that form happening.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
It's the online aspect of MGSV. It's basically the same thing except named differently.

No it's not, the online aspect of MGSV is the FOB stuff.

Metal Gear Online is its own thing.

It's the online aspect of MGSV. It's basically the same thing except named differently.

MGSV's online is FOB (Forward Operating Bases) and is connected to the main game/single-player. MGO is the traditional versus multiplayer, which is its own thing (despite being included with MGSV)!

Holdfing

I remember them saying they're trying to finish it by the MGSV launch, but no guarantees. Something along those lines.

BibiMaghoo

What is dead may never die.

theon-greyjoy-3.jpg

it will probably be broken at launch and konami will say nothing. They have no interest in building a community or supporting this game.

I suspect servers will be shut down by this time next year. I'm considering the game to be single player at this point.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
What is dead may never die.
Heh. Basically this OP.

But real talk, it's relatively fine. I don't remember Konami caring too much about MGO2 and I presume it was the same way with MGO1. Though, Konami being the way it is right now, I don't think it has a long and bright future. A relative small amount of people are buying MGS5 for MGO and the people that are are already gonna buy it for both.

Heh. Basically this OP.

But real talk, it's relatively fine. I don't remember Konami caring too much about MGO2 and I presume it was the same way with MGO1. Though, Konami being the way it is right now, I don't think it has a long and bright future. A relative small amount of people are buying MGS5 for MGO and the people that are are already gonna buy it for both.

the real question is will we be able to play it for more than 6 months or will they just shut it down and put the funds towards an erotic contra slot machine?

Jawmuncher

TLOU multiplayer wasn't spoken of until days before launch and it turned out great. Wouldn't get too worried yet.

Yeah after TLOU and how that went i'm not too worried about MP components that aren't talked about. Now i'll still wonder why, but it should all work out.

My only guess is they figure MP can be used as a short of last minute hype booster for those on the fence.

Top Bottom