• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

ArjanN

Not exactly a port issue, but the achievements they have for this game is downright annoying.

*Turns on input window*
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!
*Plays a replay I saved*
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!
*Picks S-Mode*
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

Although I remember the same thing happening in Crimzon Clover when I played it on Steam.

Those are there to push people to try out /make them aware of stuff. Perfectly fine to have achievements for that stuff.

Momentary

Banned
Finally got GeDoSaTo to work again. The game is running at 60 locked now and it runs smooth as ice. I gotta send some bucks Durante's way. What an awesome tool.

Durante mentioned turning off Security Boot, I had to update my BIOS to actually have the option pop up for me. Disabling that helped get things rolling again with this game and others. It's weird because it was working last week just fine.

If someone wants to put together a post covering setting up and configuring GeDoSaTo (and general stuff like what it does, maybe some screenshots if that is useful) all in one spot I'll link to it in the OT. Going to update around the 24 hour mark with a general idea of the state of the game, something like that would go well there.

McNum

Hm, I think I'm starting to "get" this game. Still on novice, though. Obviously memorization will be a part of it, but I started seeing something around the last half of stage 5. Like, no longer seeing bullets, but shapes. And then sometimes dodging into the shapes and coming out alive on the other side. Not something I can do at will, but... That's how the game is supposed to be seen, isn't it? Trying to track the bullets is information overload. Track the lines of bullets and go with that. Of course this makes a lone bullet one of the more dangerous things, ironically enough.

Wonko_C

Finally got GeDoSaTo to work again. The game is running at 60 locked now and it runs smooth as ice. I gotta send some bucks Durante's way. What an awesome tool.

Durante mentioned turning off Security Boot, I had to update my BIOS to actually have the option pop up for me. Disabling that helped get things rolling again with this game and others. It's weird because it was working last week just fine.

Sorry I didn't reply to you earlier, I had some RL stuff to do. Good to hear you made it work, though!

epmode

I'm familiar with GeDoSaTo when downsampling something like Valkyria Chronicles but forcing 60hz and upscaling is new to me. Does anyone have some kind of guide for Mushihimesama?

Holy shit peeps, I did it! 1cc Normal Original and ended up #7 on the leaderboards with 31 million points. I just went for my first attempt at the Stage 2 midboss bomb kill and seemed to get the perfect score boost off that somehow, haha. Then I accidentally killed a leg of the stage 2 boss but it seems that you still get credit for any legs you didn't destroy as far as I could tell - so I ended up with a pretty nice score there as well. Also milked some bushes without dying which made me very happy.

I died once on stage 3 and then No Missed stage 4, much to my surprise. Stage 5 was a bit of a trainwreck with two deaths and then one death on the boss, but it was enough to bomb through the final patterns and secure my first ALL-clear of (non-Novice) Mushihimesama. Hooray! Love this game.

Shoutouts to Gedosato providing a stable framerate and Lightboost eliminating motion blur and my monitor having ridiculously low input latency.

shockdude

I'm familiar with GeDoSaTo when downsampling something like Valkyria Chronicles but forcing 60hz and upscaling is new to me. Does anyone have some kind of guide for Mushihimesama?
If you're already familiar with GeDoSaTo, then just add Mushihimesama (default.exe) to the whitelist and make a new profile containing the following:
Code:
forcePresentRes true
fpsLimit 60
The forcePresentRes option simply forces the game to render at your desktop's current resolution.
If you use a different framelimiter like RivaTuner, you don't need the fpsLimit line.

Btw, any pixel-counters able to verify if I've successfully enabled the game to render at perfect 480p?
377860_2015-11-06_000rpqzg.png

Cmagus

Not exactly a port issue, but the achievements they have for this game is downright annoying.

*Turns on input window*
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!
*Plays a replay I saved*
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!
*Picks S-Mode*
ACHIEVEMENT UNLOCKED!

Although I remember the same thing happening in Crimzon Clover when I played it on Steam.

They just want you to feel good by completing 98% of the achievements easily then when you realize that you need to 1cc arrange mode they laugh and feast on your tears.

Nzyme32

:( Got the crash on start up once you press z / start / A. Annoying thing is that it was working the first time, but I went into the settings and tried to change it to fullscreen, at which point it crashed.

Tried the alt+enter, alt+f4 trick - didn't work
Tried the run as administrator idea - didn't work
Tried editing the ini files - didn't work

EDIT - FIXED! - - - Partially

I had to delete the exe, ini, and a steamapi file that are in the Mushihimesama folder. Then re-validated, and now I can get past the menu screen. However, if I dare to go fullscreen, it will break the game. So I'm just gonna have to play it in a 1280x720 window till they fix it. Lucky for me my laptop screen is only 1366x768, so it isn't all that bad

EDIT 2 - NOPE

Was playing great playing normal mode training and then the actual normal mode up to level 3. Then I decided to try and play the novice mode - crashed and won't start up again

-Gozer-

:( Got the crash on start up once you press z / start / A. Annoying thing is that it was working the first time, but I went into the settings and tried to change it to fullscreen, at which point it crashed.

Did you try playing offline?

Momentary

Banned
I'm not at my laptop right now so this isn't the best writeup in the world

1. To use GeDoSaTo follow the directions and download it here:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?page_id=582

2. Run the downloader/installer. The program should start up automatically.

3. Once the program opens up click on "WHITELIST" and edit the text document to include:

"default" as the executable and "Mushihimesama" as the descriptor. It should look similar to this:

default || Mushihimesama

Save and exit

4. Now click edit and change the "0" values in present resolution to 1920 and 1080. Now save. Don't Exit.

5. From shockdude: Click the + sign to add "default" as a new config to add the line "ForcePresentRes" and change the value from to "true." It should look like this

ForcePresentRes true

Save and Exit:

6. I went ahead and went into the .ini file in the Mushihimesama folder and manually changed the resolution to 1980x1080 and changed the fullscreen value from 0 to 1

7. Also set your friends list status from online to offline to help with the crashing issue

8. Run the game with GeDoSaTo still running. It should force the resolution and framerate to 1920x1080@60FPS.

****If this still doesn't work restart your system and go to your BIOS and disable Security Boot ****

Note: You should be able to force the resolution to 720p or lower by changing the 1080p values. I haven't tested this yet.

Momentary

Banned

EDIT - FIXED! - - - Partially

I had to delete the exe, ini, and a steamapi file that are in the Mushihimesama folder. Then re-validated, and now I can get past the menu screen. However, if I dare to go fullscreen, it will break the game. So I'm just gonna have to play it in a 1280x720 window till they fix it. Lucky for me my laptop screen is only 1366x768, so it isn't all that bad

Setting your status to offline might help. You don't have to put the client into offline mode, just your chat. It works for some strange reason. It has something to do with the amount of people you have on your friendlist.

shockdude

I'm not at my laptop right now

-To use GeDoSaTo follow the directions and download it here:
http://blog.metaclassofnil.com/?page_id=582

- Run the downloader/installer. The program should start up automatically.

- Once the program opens up click on "WHITELIST" and edit the text document to include:

"default" as the executable and "Mushihimesama" as the descriptor. It should look similar to this:

default || Mushihimesama

Save and exit

-Now click edit and change the "0" values in present resolution to 1920 and 1080

-In the same document use a Ctrl+F "present" to find "ForcePresentRes" and change the value from "false" to "true"

Save and Exit:

-I went ahead and went into the .ini file in the Mushihimesama folder and manually changed the resolution to 1980x1080 and changed the fullscreen value from 0 to 1

-Also set your friends list status from online to offline to help with the crashing issue

-Run the game with GeDoSaTo still running. It should force the resolution and framerate to 1920x1080@60FPS.

****If this still doesn't work go to your BIOS and disable Security Boot****

Note: You should be able to force the resolution to 720p or lower by changing the 1080p values.
Editing the global GeDoSaTo config is generally not a good idea. In the settings editor, click the "+" and add a new config called "default" (for Mushihimesama's default.exe). Then manually add "forcePresentRes true" along with other desired parameters (presentWidth, presentHeight, fpsLimit, etc.). This way the parameters will apply only to Mushihimesama and not to every other game compatible with GeDoSaTo.

A fun thing you can do with presentWidth and presentHeight is force the game to render at pixel-perfect, 640x480. Alternatively, force the game to render at 1280x960 for perfect 2x scaling.

Is it possible to upscale Mushihimesama to a weird resolution like 2560x1920 then downsample to 1440x1080?

Nzyme32

Did you try playing offline?

Setting your status to offline might help. You don't have to put the client into offline mode, just your chat. It works for some strange reason. It has something to do with the amount of people you have on your friendlist.

Tried it, doesn't work once it is stuck in the crashing loop everytime you try to get past the start screen. Going to do what I did last time to at least get past that, but this time also go offline in the friends panel.

Momentary

Banned
Editing the global GeDoSaTo config is generally not a good idea. In the settings editor, click the "+" and add a new config called "default" (for Mushihimesama's default.exe). Then manually add "forcePresentRes true" along with other desired parameters (presentWidth, presentHeight, fpsLimit, etc.). This way the parameters will apply only to Mushihimesama and not to every other game compatible with GeDoSaTo.

A fun thing you can do with presentWidth and presentHeight is force the game to render at pixel-perfect, 640x480. Alternatively, force the game to render at 1280x960 for perfect 2x scaling.

Is it possible to upscale Mushihimesama to a weird resolution like 2560x1920 then downsample to 1440x1080?

I went ahead and updated with creating a separate config for Mushihimesama's "default" executable.

schwupp

quick question since i see all the resolution talk.
is it possible to run the game at 640x480? I would love to use it on an arcade cab.

So is there meaningful difference between Shot and Full Auto? Should I just hold down Full Auto for the most part?

Kinda of a shmup noob, so any tips appreciated, but the game feels rad. I've played Jamestown, eXceed, and Crimson Clover so far. Can't wait for more games of these type on PC

If someone wants to chart out some logic to follow I can try making a config/gedo tweaker that could adjust configuration files automatically based on what the user wants to do sometime next week. Need to get back into the software development game anyway and might as well make it something useful.

So is there meaningful difference between Shot and Full Auto? Should I just hold down Full Auto for the most part?

Kinda of a shmup noob, so any tips appreciated, but the game feels rad. I've played Jamestown, eXceed, and Crimson Clover so far. Can't wait for more games of these type on PC

Shot brings in your options and focuses your attack to be a more powerful "thin" attack. Your movement speed slows down. This gives you more granular control and can be very useful.

Full Auto spreads your shot out wider, spreading out the damage output, and lets you move around more quickly.

There are tapping techniques you can do manually or adjusting the rapid fire options in the settings. They can be helpful in survival but are primarily useful for scoring. I recommend turning on the input display while experimenting to get a better idea of what exactly is happening.

Options > General Screen > Input Display > Show 1P : ON

@MUWANdo

Banned
Heh, reminds me of Dangun's TLB, iirc it doesn't do anything unless you shoot, then it's like instakill.

Nah, Dangun's TLB is just broken--you're completely invulnerable unless you decide to bomb, at which point the invincibility flag turns off and the boss can murder you as intended. People assumed it was a feature but the programmers confirmed it was a bug and that it went unchecked because no-one in the office could reach the TLB...

Nzyme32

The crashing at startup now seems to be a permanent issue, even if I remove the same files as last time and have steam re-download those. The only thing that works - briefly - is to delete and reinstall the entire game, and play till it crashes, at which point you can't play it again. If they don't fix it within the next 10 days, I'm going to have to grab a refund.

Shot brings in your options and focuses your attack to be a more powerful "thin" attack. Your movement speed slows down. This gives you more granular control and can be very useful.

Full Auto spreads your shot out wider, spreading out the damage output, and lets you move around more quickly.

There are tapping techniques you can do manually or adjusting the rapid fire options in the settings. They can be helpful in survival but are primarily useful for scoring. I recommend turning on the input display while experimenting to get a better idea of what exactly is happening.

Options > General Screen > Input Display > Show 1P : ON

This is useful, particularly as someone new to the game.

The crashing at startup now seems to be a permanent issue, even if I remove the same files as last time and have steam re-download those. The only thing that works - briefly - is to delete and reinstall the entire game, and play till it crashes, at which point you can't play it again. If they don't fix it within the next 10 days, I'm going to have to grab a refund.

Have you tried disabling the Steam overlay or playing in offline mode?

linid0t

Damn, novice ultra is actually pretty tough! It was much easier in futari - 1cc'd that one first try. Although I do have a lot more experience in normal modes on futari too

McNum

What is the difficulty curve, anyway? I'm pretty sure Novice Original is the easiest, and 1.5 Ultra Max is the hardest, but once I feel comfortable with Novice Original, where do I go from there? Normal Original?

My end goal is to learn Arrange, I think. So there's room to grow.

japtor

Hm, I think I'm starting to "get" this game. Still on novice, though. Obviously memorization will be a part of it, but I started seeing something around the last half of stage 5. Like, no longer seeing bullets, but shapes. And then sometimes dodging into the shapes and coming out alive on the other side. Not something I can do at will, but... That's how the game is supposed to be seen, isn't it? Trying to track the bullets is information overload. Track the lines of bullets and go with that. Of course this makes a lone bullet one of the more dangerous things, ironically enough.
I was thinking about this the other day while playing, kinda random considering I’ve been playing shmups for years and it’s all intuitive by now. In a really general sense I consider it a matter of pattern recognition, once you understand whats going on you can react accordingly. And part of the recognition is breaking down whats actually a threat to you, whats headed your way or in the way of where you want to go. Out of however many hundreds of bullets on screen you only really need to be concerned about the immediate few of them.

And yeah, concentrating so much on that stuff makes it easy to lose track of the single (and just less dense) bullets floating around among the masses.
Nah, Dangun's TLB is just broken--you're completely invulnerable unless you decide to bomb, at which point the invincibility flag turns off and the boss can murder you as intended. People assumed it was a feature but the programmers confirmed it was a bug and that it went unchecked because no-one in the office could reach the TLB...
Good ol Cave QA.

Yeah. I'm often looking somewhere in the center of the screen, with my character below it and the bullets raining from above. Unless it's a dense pattern, most of the time you can just use your shot to figure out where you are on screen below. But you want the reaction time from looking towards the middle or top. Tracking individual bullets is very difficult if there is a lot going on and can kinda give you a sort of tunnel vision that keeps you from getting set up for the next attack.

But when bullet patterns get really dense then you have to focus on your character sprite for a bit.

Yeah. I'm often looking somewhere in the center of the screen, with my character below it and the bullets raining from above. Unless it's a dense pattern, most of the time you can just use your shot to figure out where you are on screen below. But you want the reaction time from looking towards the middle or top. Tracking individual bullets is very difficult if there is a lot going on and can kinda give you a sort of tunnel vision that keeps you from getting set up for the next attack.

But when bullet patterns get really dense then you have to focus on your character sprite for a bit.

Yeah this is what I do. Keep track of horisontal position using your shot and mostly ignore vertical position leaving that up to feel and experience of movement speed (which makes it tricky to play different powers, of course) and then just look at your hitbox during dense patterns with heavy slowdown.

Wonko_C

Wow, people weren't joking when they said this is one of the more beginner-friendly games. I 1CC Novice Original on my third try. Whereas It took me weeks to 1CC DDP Saidaioujou's Novice mode.

What's harder? Normal Original? or Novice Maniac? I want to tackle everything in a nice gradual difficulty curve.

therapist

IMo the best way to not die a lot , just stare directly at your character the entire time and dodge accordingly.

At least thats how i usually play shmups and im fairly decent at them.

Quickly recognizing incoming bullet patterns or shapes as you say is also really good , but as you mention for those lone bullets etc , try always looking at your character , nothing else. Maybe im crazy but it works well for me.

Cheers

Wow, people weren't joking when they said this is one of the more beginner-friendly games. I 1CC Novice Original on my third try. Whereas It took me weeks to 1CC DDP Saidaioujou's Novice mode.

What's harder? Normal Original? or Novice Maniac? I want to tackle everything in a nice gradual difficulty curve.

Normal Original requires a pretty deep understanding of where enemies spawn and what patterns they are about to shoot. The bullets travel so fast that relying on reactions is a death sentence. I haven't played Novice Maniac yet but I imagine it should be more manageable.

Durante

Well, first of all, I'm honestly surprised that the GeDoSaTo forcePresentRes option actually works for this game. It's a wild hack and just breaks most games. Neat though!

Secondly, the click X on start crash is extremely random for me. I thought I had identified the cause and a workaround at least 3 times, but each time it turned out not to be repeatable. I wish I could just step through what the game does if you press a button there :/

The "good" news is that I can generally get it to work after 5-6 tries with various voodoo chicken waving (alt-enter/tab/whatever, ...). I hope they fix this sooner rather than later.

In any case, played some coop on the projector today. 1cc'd novice original, which was pretty easy. This really is a great game to get people into shmups (and playing them "correctly"), since the 1cc for that mode should be in reach for most gamers.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I love shmups and was on the verge of buying this until I heard about the performance issues.

images%2Farticle%2F2014%2F04%2F01%2F0df8f22c_jay-z-rap-disgusted-6bb61e3b7bce0931da574d19d1d82c88-1584_large.gif

Top Bottom