• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama (Steam) |OT| More "bugs" than Batman!

Momentary

Banned
For some reason if I set my FPS Limit to 60 and set vsync in gedosato it locks at 58. I have to set it to 62 and lock it to get 60. Not using VSync jump around 58 to 59 and 60 to 61 respectively.

Also if you start the game without fullscreen and alt+enter to force it, it doesn't change your monitor's resolution. (If you've been having that problem.) You just have to alt tab the game to get it to fit since it blows it up for some strange reason.

Nzyme32

Thankfully using the new Gedosato tool, I can get past the start screen, set the game to full screen and play all the modes, pretty much without issue, which is awesome!

Amusingly I can get through levels 1 and 2 on normal without any bombs or continues, however on any difficulty including novice and resorting to bombs, I burn through continues on levels 3 and 4. I want to blame the Steam Controller, but it's actually just that I'm not good enough. Really love how crazy the game is though

danmaku

After a few runs I'm starting to remember this game... reached stage 5 boss in Maniac mode, no scoring tricks, just survival.

Also, did anyone notice they changed the legal disclaimer at the startup screen? Nice touch, they even quoted the infamous "full extent of the jam" engrish bit from DDP.

pzHXvQN.jpg

Zeth

What's the best way to get this running on a non-Tate 1440p monitor?

I can't get fullscreen to work no matter what - not sure if this is due to the dual monitor setup but I get flashing red/white/black screen whenever I try to enable it. I manually set a reasonable size window in the ini but then it runs slow at like 48-50fps.

edit: fixed w Durante's tool :)

Durante

What's the best way to get this running on a non-Tate 1440p monitor?

I can't get fullscreen to work no matter what - not sure if this is due to the dual monitor setup but I get flashing red/white/black screen whenever I try to enable it. I manually set a reasonable size window in the ini but then it runs slow at like 48-50fps.
Get GeDoSaTo.

ryz

goodnews_zpsqelj8ux7fworg.jpg

Intercepting the Steam friends API and pretending you have 0 friends completely fixes the starting crash.

New GeDoSaTo version with foreverAlone option shortly.

Thanks Durante! How did you figure out that it's related to steam friends?

Durante

Thanks Durante! How did you figure out that it's related to steam friends?
I didn't, someone on the Steam forums first suggested it.

I then spent some time adding the necessary functionality to intercept & log all steam-friends-related API calls to GeDoSaTo and confirmed that the final call before the crash is friends-related. Then I implemented an option to change that value and noted that the crash never occurs if you set it low enough. This sequence of observations comes pretty close to confirming that this particular crash is caused by some kind of buffer overrun when a large number of friends is reported.

Decided to show a little love and grabbed a few gift copies. Set this up to let lurkers in on the fun, I know you people are out there! <3

Requires a Google account, sorry, the only way I could prevent multiple submissions. Make sure to select the correct magic phrase so I know you are not a complete rando. Will let this go for a day or two to allow different time zones. Good luck!

Magic Phrase:
Gigaszomu

&#3900; &#12388;&#9685;_&#9685;&#3901;&#12388; Give Mushi Submission Form

edit: btw, if you want to confirm you are sending the correct steam name try searching for it here first and make sure it shows up. If you already submitted and realized you messed up just send me a PM and I'll fix it. When the random pull comes up if the name isn't working, no worries, I'll find you.. SOMEHOW.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Is anyone having the game default back to windowed after closing and re-opening?

EDIT: Looks like you have to do it in-game for it to stick.
EDIT2: Nevermind it did it again so I guess one more bug here.

shockdude

Welp, time to tweak GeDoSaTo again.
Decided to show a little love and grabbed a few gift copies. Set this up to let lurkers in on the fun, I know you people are out there! <3

Requires a Google account, sorry, the only way I could prevent multiple submissions. Make sure to select the correct magic phrase so I know you are not a complete rando. Will let this go for a day or two to allow different time zones. Good luck!

Magic Phrase:
Gigaszomu

Excellent giveaway!
Is anyone having the game default back to windowed after closing and re-opening?

Yeah it always reverts to windowed for me. The Mushihimesama.ini file even reverts back to windowed, so it's definitely a bug.

Just wanna say thanks for doing this, even if I don't win. It doesn't surprise me Cave went with Mushihimesama to represent its first foray into Steam. Definitely one of their finest games, and one I would more commonly see in Japanese arcades compared to other "older" Cave shooters.

Durante

EDIT2: Nevermind it did it again so I guess one more bug here.
You can set the .ini to read-only to prevent that.

Buburibon

Magic Phrase:
Gigaszomu

Thank you very much for doing this. The game is fantastic, and more people should play it. :)

shockdude

You can set the .ini to read-only to prevent that.
Yeah for me the game is ignoring the fullscreen ini parameter entirely, despite reading all the other parameters fine.
Also GeDoSaTo fullscreen broke for me, game renders at the present resolution and only displays the upper left corner in 720p. Will try to fix later

I think the whole being able to run the game solidly on an integrated graphics card thing doesn't get enough mention. If you are nervous about setting your monitor on its side or don't have a rotating monitor stand. A laptop/convertible does the job pretty well!

dlQOQfDl.jpg

So I was kinda bummed about the no 16:10 thing, but, whatever. Is anyone else experiencing some serious input lag? Like, the ship will move for a bit after I stop moving the stick. In this, it's fairly annoying.
I haven't noticed any input lag myself. I play on a Qanba Q4RAF if it matters.

Shane

Was doing really well...and then it crashed.

I've had it crash twice in the past thirty minutes since going to full screen mode.

Will revert back (to windowed) and see if that stops it crashing.

Edit: Doesn't crash in windowed mode.

-Gozer-

Anyone else notice parts of the background art in stage 4 (arrange only) is messed up?

JflCR3u.jpg

Also, sometimes the flowing lava won't appear in stage 3. But that bug seems inconsistent.

Momentary

Banned
I really hope that CAVE and Degica make sure to release something a little more stable next time. I know a lot of people are giving this release a lot of leeway because of it being what it is, but the port is really unstable. I can't say that this a was a good job. Things will get patched up pretty soon knowing how Degica works and I'm sure CAVE is using this as a learning experience for their next release that's being announced in December.

-Gozer-

I've not had that. Have you tried playing in windowed mode to see if it goes away?

I just tried it in window and it's still present.

Keep in mind it only happens in arrange mode and it's not present during the full stage. The area that it happens is the first encounter with the flying dragon enemy just after the mid boss where you have the bugs on top of and hanging off a cliff.

Load up stage 4 in arrange practice and double check for me. I guess it might be possible that something is up with the install on my end.

shaowebb

Maniac mode is putting a boot in my ass, but its just so god damned pretty with all those bullets I can't play anything else. Fun fact... the larva left behind after shooting a large bug ALL fire bullets in that mode afterwards and they are homing. Have fun with that :D

depths20XX

Uhh, why are none of the achievements unlocking for me? Anyone else having issues?

Edit: Uhh ok, I have no clue. Played for 5 hours yesterday and no achievements unlocked but just started it up and now they are unlocking when I do things...

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
Really enjoying this and wondering whats next on the block for release this Winter. Do you guys think it'll be Futari or something else?

linid0t

Really enjoying this and wondering whats next on the block for release this Winter. Do you guys think it'll be Futari or something else?

Hopefully another one of the region locked 360 releases, or something that hasn't gotten a home console port. Daioujou was region locked right? Or maybe ESP Ra.De. or Ibara?

Futari would be a little more dull given the existence of the region free 360 release and how it's in the same universe as Mushi1

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I don't think the 360 Daioujou port is on the table with the legalities surrounding it but I'd love to be wrong there since I enjoy my 360 copy.

Played it for a while and I definitely suck at bullet hells. Well, not really I guess.

Right now I'm dying over and over at stage 3 so it's a work in progress :v

I figure they will wait a bit for Futari. Putting them out back to back might feel too 'samey' to the general audience who just look at name/screenshots.

One of the DDP's is probably the most obvious next series but which one is a tough call.

I would wager Akai Katana over Deathsmiles if they do one of the hori shooters.

Risette

A Good Citizen
probably deathsmiles. iirc it's their best selling game, both in Japan and abroad, so it'd make sense.

it'd be awesome if they could fix the slowdown for the HD mode and make it match the arcade mode for deathsmiles. that was always disappointing.

OmegaDL50

Magic Phrase:
Gigaszomu

edit: btw, if you want to confirm you are sending the correct steam name try searching for it here first and make sure it shows up. If you already submitted and realized you messed up just send me a PM and I'll fix it. When the random pull comes up if the name isn't working, no worries, I'll find you.. SOMEHOW.

Excellent givaway, thanks very much for your generosity.

I don't think the 360 Daioujou port is on the table with the legalities surrounding it but I'd love to be wrong there since I enjoy my 360 copy.

We'd definitely be looking at a new port if that game were the next. No reason Cave couldn't do it by themselves though it would be a lot more work than porting over one of their existing 360 ports.

If I'm recalling correctly, Mushihimesama was the only 360 port by Cave themselves that was both region locked and never released outside Japan, so it was a good first choice. If I were them, I'd choose among the titles that were released region free and not localized - Espgaluda 2, Mushihimesama Futari, Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets, and Dodonpachi Saidaioujou. Deathsmiles, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (Resurrection), and Akai Katana all received localizations, and Deathsmiles II was released on Games on Demand unlocalized.

I think the whole being able to run the game solidly on an integrated graphics card thing doesn't get enough mention. If you are nervous about setting your monitor on its side or don't have a rotating monitor stand. A laptop/convertible does the job pretty well!

dlQOQfDl.jpg

I haven't used my Surface Pro for many games, but I cannot wait to hook this up. Fantastic setup.

Miff

As a newb I've nearly graduated Novice Original. A no-life-lost run is in sight, if I can stop making a few dumb mistakes along the way. Stage 4
dragonflies are a bitch (but oh so cool).

Is anyone else experiencing some serious input lag? Like, the ship will move for a bit after I stop moving the stick. In this, it's fairly annoying.

I'm getting something like this with the Steam Controller. Reco will carry on moving in the last-pushed direction, like the game hasn't registered the input has ended. It seems to be infrequent -- I can usually go a good few games without it happening. And I'm usually able to correct it immediately before any damage is done (although tonight it pushed me into a wall of boss-bullets... fff....). It may become unacceptable at higher difficulties though :(.

Tempted to buy a stick but not sure if I can justify yet; will see if my enjoyment holds up.

I'm getting something like this with the Steam Controller. Reco will carry on moving in the last-pushed direction, like the game hasn't registered the input has ended. It seems to be infrequent -- I can usually go a good few games without it happening. And I'm usually able to correct it immediately before any damage is done (although tonight it pushed me into a wall of boss-bullets... fff....). It may become unacceptable at higher difficulties though :(.

Tempted to buy a stick but not sure if I can justify yet; will see if my enjoyment holds up.

Are you using a trackpad or the d-pad? The other person's issue was they had their stick in analog stick emulation mode; there shouldn't be issues using a d-pad.

Miff

Are you using a trackpad or the d-pad? The other person's issue was they had their stick in analog stick emulation mode; there shouldn't be issues using a d-pad.

Just the left thumb-stick. Thanks, I'll try a few different things and see if I can sort it.

OmegaDL50

dlQOQfDl.jpg

You got a Q4RAF too? Nice!

I have the same stick too, although mine is modded with translucent blue Sanwa's, although Seimitsu buttons might be more suited for STGs.

I mainly use mine for Classic Arcade, STGs, and Beat'Em Ups. Stuff like Danmaku Unlimited 2, Jamestown, Castle Crashers, Crimzon Clover, etc.

japtor

We'd definitely be looking at a new port if that game were the next. No reason Cave couldn't do it by themselves though it would be a lot more work than porting over one of their existing 360 ports.

If I'm recalling correctly, Mushihimesama was the only 360 port by Cave themselves that was both region locked and never released outside Japan, so it was a good first choice. If I were them, I'd choose among the titles that were released region free and not localized - Espgaluda 2, Mushihimesama Futari, Muchi Muchi Pork/Pink Sweets, and Dodonpachi Saidaioujou. Deathsmiles, Dodonpachi Daifukkatsu (Resurrection), and Akai Katana all received localizations, and Deathsmiles II was released on Games on Demand unlocalized.
Don't care much for DFK...but getting it would (hopefully) also mean also getting the Ketsuipachi mode, which afaik wasn't possible to get region free.

wutwutwut

Why isn't my score uploading? I have a score of ~50 million on Novice/Maniac in Score Attack mode (reached stage 5 with no continues), but my score isn't on the leaderboards whereas people with scores of 20-30 million are on there. Is there a setting I need to enable?

I'm using gedosato to prevent crashing, btw.

wutwutwut

This game is great otherwise. I'm pretty new to shmups but am having a lot of fun.

The hitbox is actually 1 pixel, right? And only the center of the bullet, not the whole bullet.

Top Bottom