• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter [Mafia] |OT| “Yer a werewolf, ‘Arry”

Sawneeks

Banned
Okay, I re-read, or rather skimmed a lot of what has been talked about with Burb and the people who voted for him, and now what is happening with Rats. I agree, there will be most likely lots of useful information there, although I'm not sure what, I'm sure you don't know either until we get deeper into this game.

The pledge wasn't much more than an idea, and it is flawed. I guess I wanted to figure out a way in which we could get more information while making sure that people could be held accountable. Of course, if people decided to defect, they could always post why they did such, with a good explanation using the extra info Rats would provide. I don't see how I can hold people accountable for voting for Rats right now when there is a good amount of people voting for him, more than there are likely anti-town people.

It's all a jumble now but give it a few more Day Phases and then jumble will still be there but now it will be twice as big and filled with more nonsense. A lot of the best info can be found in last-minute scrambles where nothing is planned, even for the Scum team. It's all about finding those contradictions. Once we get our first Scum then we can have a reference point to work with when it comes to rereads.

There's nothing in my role text forbidding me from revealing details about my role. I have simply chosen not to, for reasons I have elaborated on.

Also, would you believe I have a flair for the dramatic? Role reveals are such an exciting part of this game. I'd hate to take the surprise away from all of you. ;p

Such a tease~

But since it more-than-likely looks like you're going to be burned at the stake could you post a reads list? Probably won't have a lot of strong reads but it's better than nothing.

Kawl_USC

Go back and take a look at who wanted to vote out Burb and compare it to where they stand now, you can already start to see some stuff pop out. Same with those who didn't vote Burb but are more than willing to jump against Rats. It won't mean much now but in a few Day phases patterns might show up more and all we need to do is look back at bandwagons.

As someone who was resistant to lynching Burb and is in favor of lynching Rats, I want to go ahead and make the case for why I'm holding those positions. My approach of people in this game is to generally assume town unless given reason to believe otherwise, due to the whole town majority deal.

Looking at the miller role, I believe that Burbeting's move to get out in front of it and spill the beans day 1 is the most town-centric play. A role based on deceiving investigation loses all of its teeth when its known before hand. If he had just kept quiet and laid low, there are several situations where he can do harm to the town. Either having a cop reveal early (especially maybe a new player who doesn't realize its more useful for them to stay alive longer than to reveal a single scum) or showing scum late in the game where lylo or mylo could be a real concern. This isn't me saying that Burb as town is the hill I'm going to die on this game, but I think his actions this day have been pro town.

Likewise, Rats off to Ya has seemed to have the town's best interest at heart. He was quiet for the first few days but did chime in on the lynch/no lynch and the if it was best to go ahead and lynch Burb since he isn't a useful PR discussions, as seen here.

This post.

EVERYBODY.

THIS POST.

Again, a little meta discussion. In the Cthulhu game, my proudest moment was building the case against Timeaisis at the very tail end of Day Four, and eliminating the Cult of Cthulhu with his lynch. How did I do that? I analyzed the votes from the first two days and found two names that stuck out. One of those names was Time.

And in the GAFia game, at the end of Day One I narrowly escaped a lynch with four votes on me. Those four votes were the entire scum team. I was dead by the time I realized it, and when things were getting down to the wire I was becoming unbelievably frustrated that nobody in the game was talking about it.

If there's one lesson I can impart to be an effective Town player, it's this: votes don't lie. They're the strongest weapon in Town's arsenal. Stronger than a Cop, stronger than a Doctor. This isn't a game about power roles. It's a game of logic.

I wholeheartedly agree with this. Anyone who's played with me knows I'm not a fan of lynching targets of convenience. Burb has done nothing worthy of suspicion as of yet. If he's telling the truth, he's playing his role exactly as he's supposed to. Power roles are a nice thing to have, but I'll take a strong player over a strong role any day of the week.

The way he handled his reveal has seemed on the up and up.

I think that Burbeting has had posts with sound logic and meaningful discussion thus far. I think he would be an asset to the town even as miller. I've seen less personal evidence of Rats strength as he has been quieter until his recent claim, but others have vouched for his ability as a town sided player, and I thought the few post he made were more than just fluff. Burbeting has said that he will do his best to contribute to a town victory any way he can. Rats has said that same thing. The difference is that Rats believes that lynching him is the best way to do that.

I don't think there is a necessary contradiction between having been hesitant to lynch Burbeting and being ready to lynch Rats.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
This all started on GAF, and we'd like to keep it here. It's easier to do with the pre-existing community.

The main games will be kept here, but for some smaller or experimental games we may use Outer GAFia, as well as other chats needed for the main games.

nzJPVbG.gif

There's nothing in my role text forbidding me from revealing details about my role. I have simply chosen not to, for reasons I have elaborated on.

Also, would you believe I have a flair for the dramatic? Role reveals are such an exciting part of this game. I'd hate to take the surprise away from all of you. ;p

excellent

Wait, I'm confused. Which Harry Potter character is that?

The stupidest one.

Actually, that whole house was stupid. Hell, that show is the worst part of the harry potteer universe, even including fanfiction

So, I'm gonna counter what Retroid said above and

NO COMPROMISE

YOU HEAR ME, RATS

YOU CAN'T SPELL '800 FEET' WITHOUT 'BINARY CHOICE'

THIS IS THE PINNACLE OF DECISION-DRIVEN STORYTELLING

NO
COMPROMISE

Hmph

Coming from the plank himself

nin1000

Banned
Thanks for taking over YesNOnoNOYes i am awake now !
It might be best if TWE/Crab post on Outer GAFia and one of the gamerunners (or non-players, like YNNNY) posts it in here for them. I know it's pretty close to the same thing, but it's at least a bit different than posts 589/595.

Thanks for pointing that out Ourobolus:)

Feel free to pm me in here or in outer GAFia TWE. I will be available until the end of the current day.

Kawl_USC

I hope everyone unvotes after reading this, and considers a new path of action to take.

Believe it or not, some people have considered their path and are convinced enough that they think voting for Rats and not risking an additional NK or other bad thing is the right choice, additional role reveal or no.

Sawneeks

Banned
I don't think there is a necessary contradiction between having been hesitant to lynch Burbeting and being ready to lynch Rats.

There isn't a problem with it when a person can explain their thoughts about how they acted the way they did, like your post right here. It's when people don't explain why they jump from one bandwagon to another with little evidence or reason is where I start to worry about them.

VOTE: Rats Off To Ya

I don't think I'm going to find my other candidate today, so I'll take your word for it that this is a good decision. I'm more comfortable with this than lynching Burb at least.

Kawl_USC

There isn't a problem with it when a person can explain their thoughts about how they acted the way they did, like your post right here. It's when people don't explain why they jump from one bandwagon to another with little evidence or reason is where I start to worry about them.

S'all good, just wanted to get out in front of that a little bit and explain some of my thoughts since I wasn't very active yesterday.

I believe we are 2 away from majority on Rats at this point.

Retroid

Believe it or not, some people have considered their path and are convinced enough that they think voting for Rats and not risking an additional NK or other bad thing is the right choice, additional role reveal or no.

I guess I'm becoming Flame_AC because I see what Rats just did as very anti-town. Why he never chimed in when people were bringing up that possibility of not being able to talk about his power beats me. Why he never talked about possible ways he could reveal himself also beats me, and he claims it's because he has as "flair for the dramatic"? Is this not setting off major red flags for anyone else but me?

The wounds from Dangan are never going to go away, are they? D:

It's fairly early on so I'm hoping if this does blow up in everyone's face we can recover from it. Maybe Rats is Scum? But I can only really see this as a Scum tactic if it was an Override but even then...why use it early? A Neutral could be something and we have the Town claim..

Yes, it's a terrible feeling... I could have lived with a Hope victory but the way it ended left me feeling dejected, like I should have done better.

My first impression is Rats is Hogwarts and he's genuine with his offer. If not maybe he's trying to unleash something that will cause chaos amongst us or he's an overconfident Death Eater.

Also a vote is a vote is a vote.

VOTE: Hyperactivity

Don't ever say I was trying to hide on Day 1.

Thanks for taking over YesNOnoNOYes i am awake now !

Thanks for pointing that out Ourobolus:)

Feel free to pm me in here or in outer GAFia TWE. I will be available until the end of the current day.

Just make a thread, I already made a thread for banned players to tell us how long they were out on outer gafia (everyone forgot about it D:)

I hope everyone unvotes after reading this, and considers a new path of action to take.

Oh whatever. Think through the possibilities- why don't you want to vote Rats?

At this point, if Rats were actually some sort of major pr, he would claim, being 2 away from majority and all

And some of us have actually thought this through

I guess, since we're so close to majority, and we might have more than a majority wanting to vote Rats, that people should indicate, maybe with a bolded VOTE, that they plan to or want to vote Rats

Retroid

Oh whatever. Think through the possibilities- why don't you want to vote Rats?

At this point, if Rats were actually some sort of major pr, he would claim, being 2 away from majority and all

I want to make it clear that I'm not suggesting we don't ultimately lynch Rats, more that we think it through because this just smells like a bad situation to me. Why didn't we get this information earlier, why hasn't he considered there are other PR's other than himself that might be able to help.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
I guess, since we're so close to majority, and we might have more than a majority wanting to vote Rats, that people should indicate, maybe with a bolded VOTE, that they plan to or want to vote Rats

I will Vote: Rats unless something comes up. And since its day 1, I doubt anything substantial will come up so I don't see a lot to be gained by filling up more pages with random speculation and repeated arguments, but some people seem to want to use the whole day to talk so I've held off on my vote so far. If people want to go ahead and end it I'm down, but whatever.

I want to make it clear that I'm not suggesting we don't ultimately lynch Rats, more that we think it through because this just smells like a bad situation to me. Why didn't we get this information earlier, why hasn't he considered there are other PR's other than himself that might be able to help.

Just think it through

He said he wanted to see the day follow its own path for a bit before centering around himself in the first post

What, and possibly reveal other prs? Who knows what his plan is, and why he's doing it? I have an idea as to what's going on, but at the end of the day, I trust Rats to have thought this through before doing what he's currently doing

Retroid

Just think it through

He said he wanted to see the day follow its own path for a bit before centering around himself in the first post

What, and possibly reveal other prs? Who knows what his plan is, and why he's doing it? I have an idea as to what's going on, but at the end of the day, I trust Rats to have thought this through before doing what he's currently doing

I'm not suggesting we reveal any more PRs, that's the last thing I would want anyone to do. I was more suggesting that a discussion around what his actual power could be useful as maybe it would be significant enough for someone to say something about their role. As well, we still don't know if he is truly sided with the town, something bad could happen because he is lynched. If that is the case, it was gutsy of him to try to be killed in this fashion, but it looks like it worked.

Why didn't we get this information earlier

I explained this. I wanted the day to progress naturally. I knew my "claim" would be the talking point until the end of the day, so it was my wish to stifle conversation as little as possible.

why hasn't he considered there are other PR's other than himself that might be able to help.

I'm quite certain there aren't.

Sawneeks

Banned
Unvote: Rats Off To Ya

I want the reads list before we send you off to die.

S'all good, just wanted to get out in front of that a little bit and explain some of my thoughts since I wasn't very active yesterday.

I believe we are 2 away from majority on Rats at this point.

No worries, I understand. :)

Yes, it's a terrible feeling... I could have lived with a Hope victory but the way it ended left me feeling dejected, like I should have done better.

My first impression is Rats is Hogwarts and he's genuine with his offer. If not maybe he's trying to unleash something that will cause chaos amongst us or he's an overconfident Death Eater.

Also a vote is a vote is a vote.

Don't ever say I was trying to hide on Day 1.

I pretty much felt the exact same way when it ended. Although I've grown to love Makai's solo victory, it's much better than the dirty awful Despair Squad winning.
:p
But now it's a new school, new faces, and hopefully less Bear-induced deaths!

Kawl_USC

VOTE: Blargonaut

Getting this vote in before heading off for the night. Just in case there is some kind of override shenanigans wanted to prevent a two way tie for second, I've expressed that I find Burb protown so far and I find Blarg's shtick irritating. Will be back for the last few hours before the day ends tomorrow.

I will Vote: Rats unless something comes up. And since its day 1, I doubt anything substantial will come up so I don't see a lot to be gained by filling up more pages with random speculation and repeated arguments, but some people seem to want to use the whole day to talk so I've held off on my vote so far. If people want to go ahead and end it I'm down, but whatever.

Mostly didn't want to end the day ~12 hours ahead of time as that seems to be just enough off the schedule that some people might not have had a chance to check in a final time.

Swamped

Banned
The situation has gotten a little too convenient for scum, since both Rats and Burb are the pretty much the only available bandwagons. I'm getting town vibes from both for now though, so I'm still sticking with my vote. I am aware that LoC has replied to my points, but im fairly sure he's not getting lynched today and id still like to keep an eye on him.

Also, not sure why Blarg unvoted LoC, but I'm also not sure why he voted him in the first place lol.

You know, there have been games in which scum had the power to alter PMs >:) what if that's what's going on with Rats?! Lol, no I'm just trying to stir up some trouble. I'm pretty sure Rats is telling the truth with his claim.

Retroid

I explained this. I wanted the day to progress naturally. I knew my "claim" would be the talking point until the end of the day, so it was my wish to stifle conversation as little as possible.

Yes, you did say that, but I was more wondering why you left out the part that you could talk about your role and power when we had been discussing that as a possible reason for why a "pledge" wouldn't work. Why you never posted a message stopping us from having that conversation as people were just looking for a way to shoot down my suggestions rather than work on improving them.

Yes, you did say that, but I was more wondering why you left out the part that you could talk about your role and power when we had been discussing that as a possible reason for why a "pledge" wouldn't work. Why you never posted a message stopping us from having that conversation as people were just looking for a way to shoot down my suggestions rather than work on improving them.

I'm not watching this thread 24/7, dude. I was away for that conversation.

Flame_AC

It seems like it'll be a Rats! lynch, it'll be a shame to see a good player leave so early, but alas. I hope your role gives us some clarity and I look forward to reading it. I'm holding on to my Burb vote, though it won't make any difference. I'll be by the thread until about an hour or two before the end of the day, so try not to make anything too crazy happen. See y'all in a bit.

Retroid will remember that.

You, me and 61%* of players like having rats around!?

*ewww math

Hmph

Coming from the plank himself

:(

VOTE: Blargonaut

Getting this vote in before heading off for the night. Just in case there is some kind of override shenanigans wanted to prevent a two way tie for second, I've expressed that I find Burb protown so far and I find Blarg's shtick irritating. Will be back for the last few hours before the day ends tomorrow.

Music to my fears

Well this day has certainly taken a turn.

I hope we get a reads list from Rats before he dies. We'll also learn from those who voted for him. I doubt anyone will hammer, but I have a good feeling that there is scum that voted early (but not too early), and scum that will not vote at all since they'll seem too eager to get him to a majority.

The day is still a bit obfuscated though. It's been pretty easy to make a vote against Burb, debate the merits of a no-lynch versus a lynch, and then jump on Rats to fulfil your activity quota.

I suppose, in a game of this size, it will be difficult to sniff out scum until our numbers are whittled down a bit.

I want the reads list before we send you off to die.

I'll admit that I haven't been paying the closest attention to the game in anticipation of this move of mine.

With that said, I'm getting strong Town vibes from you, Hyper, and Burb.

I'm wary of anybody pushing another player as a "distraction" that has to be lynched. It's a convenient excuse for scum to hide behind, as GAFia history has shown. Flame and LoC stick out as examples, but there have been others. You're stronger than that, Hogwarts.

I'm not sure exactly what Retroid is playing at, but his intentions seem pure enough.

I dunno who to vote for

Rats is too easy
Burb is too easy
No Lynch is a no go
Everyone else is... solid

I mean, there's myself

nah

Why am I getting singled out for the Blarg distraction crap when I haven't even voted for him? I mentioned voting for him once, and have admitted that he's not as bad this game. Still not good, but not as bad.

It's his own damn fault. All 3 games(didn't read NX) he's played the same, town or no, and first two games he helped scum more than town. That is a fact. It's too early to tell who he'll help this game but history tends to repeat

Here's another fun fact about Blargonaut for newcomers, he's lost all 4 games he's been in, 3 times as town and 1 as a neutral.

Whatever side he's on that faction has lost.

Will this trend continue? Only time will tell...

Why am I getting singled out for the Blarg distraction crap when I haven't even voted for him? I mentioned voting for him once, and have admitted that he's not as bad this game. Still not good, but not as bad.

It's his own damn fault. All 3 games(didn't read NX) he's played the same, town or no, and first two games he helped scum more than town. That is a fact. It's too early to tell who he'll help this game but history tends to repeat

Beware the scum claiming Vigilante

Top Bottom