• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Harry Potter [Mafia] |OT| “Yer a werewolf, ‘Arry”

Bm7B23C.gif

This is good, isn't it

Okay. So Crab claims to be switched with someone. Possible, but why would scum target Burb? As flameac said town was still divided on him. I don't think they would take him out seems like a classic Vig move honestly. A vigilante knew that Burb would dominate discussion today so he did what needed to be done for the greater good, classic Vig. Sadly Burb lied about the power of his role. A tough situation for everyone involved.

So the question now is who got switched with Crab, or is Crab lying?

I also hate to say this but another possibility for Burbs death is Sawneeks. Both I and Blarg speculated yesterday that Sawneeks was bateing the posion curer into targeting her. If Sawneeks doesn't die tonight we have our lynch target for tomorrow.

Could be afraid of tracker/watcher roles. Burbeting to them is a town sided player who has been active and likely had more to this role besides being miller (a bit of leaning into lore assumption but sue me). He strikes me as some one who may have been a target they thought worth killing but with a lower chance of revealing themselves. Using a switch kill would just be them being thoroughly careful.

Busy with Thanksgiving festivities today but will try to chime in as I see things at the very least.

But why use a switch to kill burb? Any doctor worth his salt, as well as a watcher, would probably have been on blarg last night

Kalor

I'm surprised that Burbeting got killed, I feel like he would have still be a topic of discussion if he stayed alive. So Blarg, want to fill us in on your investigation?

Anyway, on to something even more interesting

So, last Night, expecting all the assassins, I went nuclear and tried to destroy the Marvolo Ring Horcrux I had had in my possession since the start; it was supposed to be my moment

I had kinda breadcrumbed it being in my pocket a little, you can look back through my posts yesterday and see if you want

Hindsight: Probably shouldn't have done that, but anyway

I used my DESTROY: RING command

But it wasn't there anymore

Because apparently, someone stole it from me last Night, so

yeah

filthy sneak

tl:dr:
EUuaRYX.jpg
because there's a super-inconsiderate Thief role among us

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Blarg, a) were you switched tonight, b) what did your investigation find?

So, last Night, expecting all the assassins, I went nuclear and tried to destroy the Marvolo Ring Horcrux I had had in my possession since the start; it was supposed to be my moment

I had kinda breadcrumbed it being in my pocket a little, you can look back through my posts yesterday and see if you want

yeah

filthy sneak

Hmm. Could it have been Harry? Maybe he has the ability to steal Horcruxes, because if they exist Scum likey have some. I mean that was his responsibility in the book.

Kalor

yeah

filthy sneak

EUuaRYX.jpg

A thief role would be weird but I presume that would be a death eater aligned role. Maybe there is a town aligned role that can steal horcruxes and destroy it as I presume Death Eaters have some as well.

Rynam

yeah

filthy sneak

EUuaRYX.jpg

Oh, that's interesting.. Now we only need to find out if that thief role was Scum or Town.

Flavour text says Snape was killed by Death Eaters, so I doubt it was a vig.

If we're talking items then someone may have a Sword of Gryffindor or similar to destroy Horcruxes with.

Hmm. Could it have been Harry? Maybe he has the ability to steal Horcruxes, because if they exist Scum likey have some. I mean that was his responsibility in the book.

If anything that reminds me more of Mundugus Fletcher. Or Dobby (maybe, it's a stretch).

Those are the only real thieves in the story.

Although, knowing the name, of which it could easily be something else, tell us nothing about this thief

Rynam

Mhh, Too bad I'm not really good in this kind of games it seems because I'm not able to read Bad/Good intentions out of Posts. But if there's one thing to trust it's facts.

Vote:Crab

Flavour text says Snape was killed by Death Eaters, so I doubt it was a vig.

If we're talking items then someone may have a Sword of Gryffindor or similar to destroy Horcruxes with.

Maybe, but I myself didn't need a special item to break the Ring

I could just do it, as an ability

But I am the greatest though, so it's probably that

If anything that reminds me more of Mundugus Fletcher. Or Dobby (maybe, it's a stretch).

Those are the only real thieves in the story.

Although, knowing the name, of which it could easily be something else, tell us nothing about this thief

May be leaning into "their" too heavily.

What was the exact wording Blarg? Could a Harry Potter with a "Find: Horcrux: Command fit?

TheExodu5

Banned
But why use a switch to kill burb? Any doctor worth his salt, as well as a watcher, would probably have been on blarg last night

Why assume a switch was to kill Burb? Why assume the switch was scum at all?

My theory:

Scum killed Burb straight up. He made it clear before the day ended that he was more than a simple Miller. Using HP flavour, it's easy to guess he would either a spy or have Veritaserum (both are prominently features in books/movies). I'm not surprised scum would have wanted him dead, and he would be a pretty safe target at night.

A town switcher switched Blarg with Crab to protect Blarg. Perhaps they suspect Crab and was hoping a potential kill would redirect to them.

Anything wrong with my theory? Seems like the simplest explanation I can think of.

Why assume a switch was to kill Burb? Why assume the switch was scum at all?

My theory:

Scum killed Burb straight up. He made it clear before the day ended that he was more than a simple Miller. Using HP flavour, it's easy to guess he would either a spy or have Veritaserum (both are prominently features in books/movies). I'm not surprised scum would have wanted him dead, and he would be a pretty safe target at night.

A town switcher switched Blarg with Crab to protect Blarg. Perhaps they suspect Crab and was hoping a potential kill would redirect to them.

Anything wrong with my theory? Seems like the simplest explanation I can think of.

I was more thinking along the lines of the situation crab proposed.

I mean, idk. This is why I hate switchers, they make things confusing

Maybe, but I myself didn't need a special item to break the Ring

I could just do it, as an ability

But I am the greatest though, so it's probably that

My guess is Blarg can investigate or destroy the Horcrux each night. Thinking he would die last night, he decided to at least destroy the Horcrux before biting it.

But he wasn't targeted and someone stole the Horcrux before he could destroy it.

So going back to Night 1, it looks like the Stupefy was separate from the KK investigation, since Gorlak got hit by it last night.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Actually, if Blarg wasn't the switch subject, I think I know why - mafia didn't want to kill him, they wanted to get his Horcrux. Presumably that means they can somehow investigate who has Horcruxes.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
That should have read "If Blarg wasn't the kill target". I'm confusing myself now. ;_;

Kalor

Actually, if Blarg wasn't the switch subject, I think I know why - mafia didn't want to kill him, they wanted to get his Horcrux. Presumably that means they can somehow investigate who has Horcruxes.

They might have just presumed that some kind of doctor would protect him and so didn't want to risk missing out on a kill.

Sawneeks

Banned

Maybe that's tied to the Scum Cop? It would make sense as they needed someone to help them find Voldemort but perhaps it could also give them info on if the person they investigate has a Horcrux or not.

Sawneeks

Banned
*give them info on the person.

Also a switch between Crab and Burb seems more likely given the situation and possibility that Blarg had a Horcrux stolen from him.

Day 3 Affairs

• Apparently, I saved Nakatomi Plaza last night
  • Gorlak feels it too, don't you
  • Sawneeks got it Bad
  • Ignored the hobbits for once; tried to throw the Ring into Mount Doom myself, but Gollum caught it
  • Gollum fled, is at large
ok

brb, eating death

I'm so sorry, Burb : ( I can't imagine how frustrating it must be for you, to have died again so early.

That said, alarm bells are ringing in my head.

Vote: Crab

Thank you for your constant questions, Hyperactivity: from them I felt that something doesn't ring true about Crab's claim. Your posts emphasize that quite clearly. You also posted a series of possibilities:

Which means:
1) Two switchers (ugh the migraine)
2) One scum switcher, roleblock killer, town vig shoots burbeting
3) One town switcher, roleblock town vig, scum kills burbeting
4) One switcher, doctor got lucky, town vig or scum kill burbeting

Hyperactivity, your possible scenarios have too many variables, and rely on chance. Instead of overly muddying the waters, let's Occam's Razor this shit. You got it right, but between the lines and outside of those items.

I guess we would have to get confirmation from blarg that he got switched, but that makes the most sense for any switcher.

But crab got switched, but burbeting is dead. And there was only one kill.

And then this is all contingent on the idea that crab is telling the truth, but if he got a pm another player should be coming in to corroborate his story (probably blarg.)

What did I get from this? Crab is lying about being one the switch targets, and the true players that were switched were Blarg and Burb.

After this possibility was raised by your posts, I then looked at Crab's posts for today if they were written from the perspective of someone who aimed to kill Blarg last night:

As a heads-up, I was switched today with another player during the night. Got a PM about it. Not sure if the switcher was town or mafia-aligned.

In this post, he's surprised that their kill command didn't work. Crab is our progenitor, so he obviously knows about switchers (as opposed to the others today being unsure about the functions of the role). He quickly does damage control, saying something about a PM telling him that he'd been switched. I'm constructing a narrative, I know, but this idea of damage control was immediately reinforced by nin1000 saying that PMs were still en route:

pm's are being send out ! everyone hold your horses !

Again, I'm impressed at Crab's ability to adapt and cover his missteps:

I was first? D'awww, thank you. :3

Crab didn't get a PM about this at all. Obviously, nin1000 can't respond. He only officially starts the day two posts later.

Crab's insistence that the other person who got switched claim was also suspicious (emphases mine):

A town switcher couldn't have switched Burbeting into a kill as a protection of Blarg because I know I was at least one of the people who got switched (can the other one claim, please?). If nobody else claims switched, then we know it is very likely that Burbeting was the other one and I was targeted with a kill that ended up hitting Burbeting. If somebody else claims switched, then it was probably just a town switcher trying to confuse mafia by mixing people round - although I do question why they weren't on Blarg if that was the case.

I think it is most likely that Burb was a deliberate target. Snape is a pretty integral character in the HP books, so it isn't hard to guess he'd have more useful powers than what he openly claimed. That means there's probably just a town switcher around. However, I'd like the second switched person to claim just to be sure.

Plus, it makes no sense that after the events of yesterday, Burb would be the target of the NK. Blarg had just single-handedly caused the elimination of the Death Eater leader. And you said it yourself (and so did Hyperactivity, hyperactively): why would you be the target of the switch? You've hardly been a talking point in this game, apart from (and because of) your ban.

This post speaks for itself as a testament to your persistence for claims (emphases mine):

Right, so you'll die tomorrow then if there's no other back-up. I assume there isn't because we've had one kill a night so far, and if poison was easily blockable we'd probably continue at one death a night for some time, which seems very unlikely. I'm pretty certain you're innocent now. If you have a role that gave you any information, now would be the time to tell us (given you don't have another time).

If mafia do have a switcher, then tracker/watcher information likely won't be very accurate, which is frustrating. I'm really hoping someone that isn't Blarg comes forward and says they were switched; a town switcher is much more useful.

Finally, Blarg's recent posts indicate that he himself knew that he was last night's mafia target.

However, there is another simple alternative (although I don't care for this one at all; it adds chance). There could be no switcher at all, and a doctor protected Blarg. There's some sort of Shield Charm or defense mechanism that protected Blarg, causing the spell to deflect onto Burb randomly. Again, relying on the lore for this alternative, but spells being deflected are not uncommon in Harry Potter (most notably in the first "fight" between Voldemort and baby Harry). This alternative is unlikely because we already had one random death generator (Lupin).

Regardless of which of these two possibilities is true (1. Burb/Blarg being the real switcher targets, or 2. there being no switcher at all), Blarg was obviously the mafia target last night, and Crab is lying.

---

Another scum/anti-town read:

Lord of Castamere. I mean really; he posted this 41 minutes into the day as one of his ""reads":

Top Town:

Burbeting- Has been a overly active posted and I've seen nothing so far that has arroused suspicion.

Burbeting as town. I guess to his credit, that's a 100% accurate read! While this is the most egregious of his mistakes, this isn't the first. He misunderstood the timeframe of Sawneeks's death by poison (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=186165569&postcount=1238), as well as misunderstood Rats's power (http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=186069788). As I said before, this is just a hunch, but reading comprehension might be difficult if you have to keep up with both this thread and the mafia thread. His defensiveness on D1 was also a typical (but not always a) tell. Leaning scum. (PS. Who else has urged Sawneeks to claim? Crab!)

A final point (I've been writing this forever): I don't think we should entertain the thought of Horcruxes. Voldemort is no longer in the game. Our win condition is to eliminate all Death Eaters.

(New development! Rynam, wow!)

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I did visit Swamped N1, yes. I don't know why I'm the only visitor. Do you want me to roleclaim?

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
It's highly likely the doctor (if we have one) was on Blarg tonight, so he probably shouldn't reveal that.

Rynam, why did you watch Swamped N1?

A final point (I've been writing this forever): I don't think we should entertain the thought of Horcruxes. Voldemort is no longer in the game. Our win condition is to eliminate all Death Eaters.

I forget if this has come up, but did Blarg's role tell us what destroying the Horcruxes would do (in the context of the game)?

Top Bottom