• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Star Citizen Alpha 2.0 | The 'Verse Awakens

Zalusithix

I seem to be remember some talk that Squadron 42 will support coop play? Is that still true?
They touched on this recently, but I'm on mobile so I can't find the source. It's still planned, though I think they were alluding to it only being in certain missions or something. Don't quote me on that though.

They touched on this recently, but I'm on mobile so I can't find the source. It's still planned, though I think they were alluding to it only being in certain missions or something. Don't quote me on that though.

I cannot find a direct source quote atm, it was discussed during the mark hamill reveal livestream, but the game's structure and narrative will only allow for coop missions, and not through the entire duration of the campaign itself.

So... certain missions... or something like that. Not the whole way drop in and drop out.

The ships you get in 2.0 should reflect this matrix for ships that aren't flyable in the PU. If anything he should have an Andromeda going by that list, not a Merlin. Unless they changed something... Not like I'd be able to tell easily as I have too many ships to ever make clear sense of what is a loaner for what.

Ahh good catch!

Loaner_list.jpg

I just realized I may have a gladius because I rented on with Rec for AC. I didn't know that transferred over. This makes more sense now.

Well...melting for the 315 was painless. Hopefully i can fly it when i get home. I'm not sure why it was letting me fly the Merlin.

Hate flying the Andromeda.

Zalusithix

I know this list isn't accurate. I have a Hull B and all I can pull in 2.0 is a 300i
It wouldn't surprise me if the list is outdated. Frankly giving an Andromeda to half of those ships as a loaner was rather generous given both the relative size and price point.

How come. ?

Cause it's big.

:)

I'm probably going to enjoy piloting the MAX much less than the 315 as well. I'm going to like both for different reasons...but my "fun" flying is going to be by myself in the Origin ship.

Even when 2.1 goes live i doubt there will be any good cargo transport missions so my switching ships right now makes sense to me.

Zalusithix

Oh man, this is cool: Elite: Dangerous advert playing in UK cinemas ahead of The Force Awakens.

CIG should get in on this, too! I didn't even think about this as a possibility but very smart.
Eh, Elite is in a safer state to do general advertising for. Getting clueless people into SC isn't a good idea with the game in an alpha state. Also, CIG doesn't spend money on traditional advertising which this would be an example of. Perhaps when the game is released, but for now it's all word of mouth.

Oh man, this is cool: Elite: Dangerous advert playing in UK cinemas ahead of The Force Awakens.

CIG should get in on this, too! I didn't even think about this as a possibility but very smart.

The $$$ for that should go towards
1) making the FPS component actually feel like a Cryengine shooter (Crysis 2)
2) making sure i can customize my avatar so it looks more like me and less like Sam Worthington with a short haircut.

After that and SQ42 are available i'm cool with my donations funding that type of advertising.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The $$$ for that should go towards
1) making the FPS component actually feel like a Cryengine shooter (Crysis 2)
2) making sure i can customize my avatar so it looks more like me and less like Sam Worthington with a short haircut.

After that and SQ42 are available i'm cool with my donations funding that type of advertising.

I think the goal is to make it feel something like Rainbow 6.

Eh, Elite is in a safer state to do general advertising for. Getting clueless people into SC isn't a good idea with the game in an alpha state. Also, CIG doesn't spend money on traditional advertising which this would be an example of. Perhaps when the game is released, but for now it's all word of mouth.

Sheeeit, good point.

Yessssssss. The tactical shooter revival must continue.

Zalusithix

Anyone know how long the reliant variants will be for sale? I can't find any info on the site.

It's actually right in the comm-link for the sale of them. =P
If you’d like to add one to your fleet, they’re available in the pledge store until December 28th.
So you've got a while to make up your mind what, if anything, you want.

I think Roberts mentioned Arma as a target.

Though after playing R6, I agree. They nail CQ gunfights perfectly. If we are also talking about other shooters they need to look at how DICE has done the cover system in BF4. It's hard to go back to sticky cover systems, and free lean after BF4.

I think Roberts mentioned Arma as a target.

Though after playing R6, I agree. They nail CQ gunfights perfectly. If we are also talking about other shooters they need to look at how DICE has done the cover system in BF4. It's hard to go back to sticky cover systems, and free lean after BF4.

Well, luckily for you he game uses a far cry 3 style cover system with a q and e lean.

Was there even a cover system in FC3? Been years.

Yeah, it should be very similar to the one in bf, where you just automatically, without your knowing, enter cover procedurally just by being near objects in front of you (your character places the gun closer to his or her chest or raises it). Then clicking fire blind fires in the direction you choose while raising your sights causes your character to pop up from the cover to aim.

Then you can just leave the cover anytime you want by just moving away from it (or perhaps over it by jumping).

It was a fantastic system in far cry 3 and blood dragon (I have yet to play 4 so I have no idea if it is in there as well) and Star Citizen also adds a generic q and e lean on top. I am so happy CIG chose that instead of the comparatively awful cover systems present in games like Killzone or Crysis 2.
But i use the controller. :( :p

One of the best comments in the original FPS-module Q & A was where they stated something like 'this is a PC shooter, if you use a controller, you will be severly disadvantaged to your opponent' or something like that.
Given how the stance changes work as well as all the other keys, I am not super surprised a keyboard is especially important.

Yeah, it should be very similar to the one in bf, where you just automatically, without your knowing, enter cover procedurally just by being near objects in front of you (your character places the gun closer to his or her chest or raises it). Then clicking fire blind fires in the direction you choose while raising your sights causes your character to pop up from the cover to aim.

Then you can just leave the cover anytime you want by just moving away from it (or perhaps over it by jumping).

It was a fantastic system in far cry 3 and blood dragon (I have yet to play 4 so I have no idea if it is in there as well) and Star Citizen also adds a generic q and e lean on top. I am so happy CIG chose that instead of the comparatively awful cover systems present in games like Killzone or Crysis 2.

Bueno, literally cannot remember anything from FC3 other than hiding in the jungle and being assaulted by flightless birds.

And don't you dare badmouth Killzone (2), we will have fisticuffs.

Bueno, literally cannot remember anything from FC3 other than hiding in the jungle and being assaulted by flightless birds.

And don't you dare badmouth Killzone (2), we will have fisticuffs.

Oh I won't bad mouth the game (i never played it), but I just thought the way the cover system works in it was rather old school and sticky.

CIG did list killzone as an inspiration for its FPS mechanics. Probably its emphasis on accurate hipfire and gun sounds (my first kill ever in the alpha was via hip fire, and I even happened to capture it in footage).

tuxfool

Banned
Oh I won't bad mouth the game (i never played it), but I just thought the way the cover system works in it was rather old school and sticky.

CIG did list killzone as an inspiration for its FPS mechanics. Probably its emphasis on accurate hipfire and gun sounds (my first kill ever in the alpha was via hip fire, and I even happened to capture it in footage).

They're probably talking about the heaviness of the characters. In killzone everything had weight. I imagine the heavy class will move like that.

Shy

One of the best comments in the original FPS-module Q & A was where they stated something like 'this is a PC shooter, if you use a controller, you will be severly disadvantaged to your opponent' or something like that.
Given how the stance changes work as well as all the other keys, I am not super surprised a keyboard is especially important.
Ohh, guess i'm fucked then. :(

Chris_C

I'm thinking about jumping in, but they seem to have two packages with different names that appear to be identical otherwise.

PACKAGE - AURORA MR AC STARTER - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-AC-Starter

and

PACKAGE - SQUADRON 42 PREORDER - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Preorder

They both seem to have EXACTLY the same content at the same price. Can anyone tell me if there's a different though?z

EDIT: Also, do I get to start playing as soon as I pay?

masterkajo

AFAIK, it is exactly the same. You get an Aurora MR as a starter ship and get to play both Squadron 42 (single player) and Star Citizen (multiplayer MMO). You also access to everything they put out already (baby PU alpha, Arena Commander, Social Planetside module, Hangar etc.) So choose away... feels a bit like ME3 ending (green or blue - your choice) :p

GKB

I'm thinking about jumping in, but they seem to have two packages with different names that appear to be identical otherwise.

PACKAGE - AURORA MR AC STARTER - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Aurora-MR-AC-Starter

and

PACKAGE - SQUADRON 42 PREORDER - https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/Packages/Squadron-42-Preorder

They both seem to have EXACTLY the same content at the same price. Can anyone tell me if there's a different though?z

EDIT: Also, do I get to start playing as soon as I pay?

They're basically the same. If i'm not mistaken, the squadron 42 one was created couple of months ago during citizencon, along with the release of gary oldman trailer.

As long as the package has squadron 42 & star citizen digital download, you should be okay.

Yes, you can play alpha 2.0 immediately.

So, how is a 980 Ti performance in SC 2.0 with 1440p?
It is pretty alright atm. It won't hit 60 all the time except for certain moments in Arena COmmander or your Hangar, but it is still good.
Goddamn campers.

lol
Before he came in, I was just fooling around in that hallway looking at the lighting then all of a sudden I saw some of black shadows change shape. TBH, did not even know anyone else was in the station

Top Bottom