• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So where does the end duel of The Force Awakens rank within all SW duels? [SPOILERS]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rey%2525202.gif

DrArchon

Beats the piss out of all the dumb anime sword fights from the prequel trilogy. I prefer my sword fights to have some weight to them (which makes no sense with lightsabers but I don't care).

It obviously lacked the emotional weight found in the duels in ESB and ROTJ, but the choreography was really on point and the actors did a great job selling it.

Gleethor

I'm actually a pretty big fan of the Yoda vs Sidious duel:

YlIoXsX.gif

BH5zfob.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9DI8kkR9G0Q

I think the actual "force" part of their duel is far more interesting tbh.

Did anybody actually ask for this to happen? This isn't even me riffing on the prequels in general. I just seriously never even once thought to myself "Man, I'd like to see THOSE two dudes fight" before seeing that movie.

Its the top dog of the Jedi vs big bad of the Sith. Not hard to imagine people wondering what would happen if they went at it.

The last Kylo trick in this gif is absolutely amazing. He grap Rey lightsaber, take it to him, and push it very strongly to her. I was like o__o on this scene and we saw that yoda vs palpatine "dance fight" ten years ago.

Rey%2525203.gif

Shaanyboi

Banned
Leagues above any of the prequel fights. Yes, it was very impressive how those actors remembered all those moves... too bad the fights themselves were so fucking emotionless, or the spectacle of the fights got so obscene that it was then impossible to care with how meaningless any of their moves became.

Between ROTJ, ESB, or TFA, I'd say...

TFA wins for choreography/staging.
ESB wins for tension.
ROTJ wins for emotional resonance.

shem935

Banned
ESB > ROTJ = TFA > TPM > ANH then the rest can just be in a pile at the end. ROTS fights were too long or filled with yoda flipping and doing stupid shit. Anakin and Obi's fight while still to flippy and twirly could have been done well if it was more personal. Two dudes beating the snot out of each other on a flat plane would be better wounding each other back and forth until master has to cut down the apprentice viciously. It would be personal. That duel is about setpiece and spectacle. Not character struggle. Likewise the dooku fight at the end while competent introduced the concept of yoda holding a lightsaber. Not cool.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
The Darth Maul final battle is objectively in the better half of the Star Wars lightsaber duels based off the music alone.

It also has that cool part with the intermittent shields where Qui-Gon just meditates.

Arkos

Nose how to spell and rede to
Yeah I think Duel of the Fates' ubiquitousness makes me forget that it's original debut is in TPM, which kinda elevates that duel

Might be my least favorite, but everything leading up to it had no build up. It's tough to find some iconic "Star Wars" moments in this film.

Eggbok

Prequel Battles > Original Battles imo.
Prequels show people trained in lightsaber dueling/combat, original is just people move sabers left and right with the occasional downward slash.

In classic Abrams ADHD fashion, he couldn't let a single shot breathe, and the choreography isn't that great (especially during the Rey portion), but I like the more brutal nature it has. It ranks third behind ROTJ and ESB, kind of by default to be honest. I don't care for the acrobatics and ridiculousness of the prequels.

Agreed. Thee fight choreography and much more brutal realistic nature is a step up from the prequels but the whole fight was shot in typical JJ, ADHD fashion.

Prequel Battles > Original Battles imo.
Prequels show people trained in lightsaber dueling/combat dance choreography...

tumblr_nzxlhv0HS11qclsj2o1_400.gif

This is the closest thing in the movie history we have for Link VS Ganondorf.

Saber%252520Battle.gif

Holy... this is amazing

I love the dark snowy setting, contrasting with the bright clashing lightsabers. TFA fight felt really visceral with Kylo Ren dishing out heavy swings and Rey trying to stand her ground.

The prequel fights are entertaining, but they feel to choreographed and flashy. I hope each trilogy can have their own signature style.

Nodnol

As an actual duel, ROTJ is pretty weak; it's all on how the whole construction of the scene and how it builds to that moment that Luke hammers away at Vader's arm, before throwing his lightsaber down and refusing to turn.

It's powerful though, even if it's not the prettiest (plus we got a saber throw, so there's that). It's one of the best scenes in Star Wars though, period.

I was leaning towards ESB next, but I'm honestly tempted to put TFA above it. It has so much going for it, and I really do love Kylo as a character. The duel with Rey probably showcases his personality more than anything else in the film. Plus, as silly as it seemed at its reveal, that lightsaber is awesome, and was handled, if you'll excuse the pun, in the right way.

Maul/Qui-Gon/Kenobi probably comes next, after ESB. It was a great showcase for how awesome Jedi could be, and probably the highlight of the PT. Oh and THAT music. The only mistake it made was killing off Maul (yeah I know TCW blah, blah, blah but they should have had Maul as Palpatine's apprentice up until Anakin turns).

ROTS should have been powerful; it has the emotion it needed, but it was just...silly. Standing on robots, twirly lightsaber thing, climbing up and down breaking buildings (felt like a boss fight from Bayonetta at times), then there's the only "high ground" thing (I get what it was meant to be showing, in terms of Anakin's arrogance). It, like so many other things in the PT, just wasn't handled very well.

Didn't care much for AOTC and Dooku. The rematch at the beginning of ROTS was somewhat better though.

Yoda should have never been given a lightsaber though, and neither should have Palpatine.

Pandy

Best effects in a light sabre fight.

That's all it has going for it. The whole scene was essentially meaningless, aside from excusing Kylo Ren and Finn costume changes in the next film. More action figures to sell, I guess.

Gallbaro

Banned
It was good and refreshing to see a fight with environmental interaction.

But I just cannot shake the fact that she was chased down the same exact ravine, by the same villain twice, despite the fact that they were on different plants.

Toxi

Banned
Wow, watching all the gifs of the final battle reminds me how goddamn awesome that final battle was.

It's a shame the final dogfight was such a letdown compared to the lightsaber action.

The battle between Darth Maul and Obi Wan/Qui Gon was the best IMO. It was unique all-around.

Maul easily handled both of them - arrogance was the only reason he lost.

Rad-

It was alright considering all of the duelists were basically newbies with sabers. It worked considering that. I want more fancy moves in the sequels however.

Best effects in a light sabre fight.

That's all it has going for it. The whole scene was essentially meaningless, aside from excusing Kylo Ren and Finn costume changes in the next film. More action figures to sell, I guess.

Meaningless? Kylo engages because has a grudge against Finn, and has orders to capture Rey. He gravely wounds Finn, but also gets humbled and scarred by Rey, which will likely have significance going forward. Rey also levels up with the force.

Not that it has the emotional weight of Empire and Jedi's duels, but it certainly has both present and future implications.

The Llama

Haven't seen it so not going to read any of the responses ITT, so apologies if this has come up, but uh am I the only one who is kinda mad about the topic title spoiler? Coulda just said "the end" rather than mentioning a duel...

LaNaranja

I really need to rematch and get some more time away from Episode 7 before I can say for sure but as of now this is what I am feeling in terms of top 5.

1. Luke vs Vader (RotJ)
2. Luke vs Vader (ESB)
3. Kylo vs Finn/Rey (TFA)
4. Maul vs Obi-Wan/Qui-gon (TPM)
5. Dooku vs Anakin/Obi-Wan (RotS)

Third for me right after RotJ and ESB.
Prequel trilogy duels are stupid as shit. I don't even remember there being a saber fight at the end of episode 2.
Beats the piss out of all the dumb anime sword fights from the prequel trilogy.
That's offensive to anime. Go watch Shigurui.

pringles

I don't remember anything about any of the stupid prequel fights except how stupid they were.

It's 3rd behind ROTJ and ESB duels. Although the gifs are making me think it may top the ESB duel after I've seen the movie a few more times. It's at the very least visually amazing.

Nothing tops Vader vs Luke at the end of Jedi in my opinion. The stakes are at their highest, the weight of emotions is huge, and you the viewer knows this is it. Its what the entire trilogy has been waiting for. Add in the Emperor being right there observing and the entire Rebel fleet battling for their lives just outside the Death Star window and its basically impossible to top it, at least with what we have so far.

But I would say TFA is the 2nd best fight. The lightsabers have real weight and lethality feeling to them. The only part that sucks is Rey randomly going Super Saiyan and owning Kylo Ren out of nowhere. That part felt pretty cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom