• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UHD, 4k Blu ray's, and 4k Blu Ray players. Help teach me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The first projector built on TI's budget 4K platform is actually coming out this July. No price until next month.

lord pie

UHD Blu-ray still using 4:2:0 chroma subsampling for video content.

I thought it was going to be 4:4:4. I can't actually find anything to say it is or isn't except this old article. It'll be a shame if it is 4:2:0.

I can accept my nearly 3 year old model will be more limited and has slight fuzziness and odd color shifts along high contrast edges in 4k images. But I'd be annoyed if I'd just bought a brand new TV that did that.

I guess if the format really doesn't support it and you only care about movies then it won't matter. I presume they process the video to reduce the issues when mastering.

Paganmoon

The first projector built on TI's budget 4K platform is actually coming out this July. No price until next month.

Been waiting for reasonably priced 4k projectors. Any info on resolution? Will they follow Sonys 4096x2160 or go with the same resolution as 4k TV's at 3840x2160?

Hoping the latter for better pixel mapping of upscaled material.

Edit: hmm, reading up on it, seems the TI based devices won't be "true" 4k either, but I guess reviews will tell how well the 4million mirrors can deliver 8million pixels.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm gonna jump in on day 1, I bought a 4k tv for 4k Blu Rays. It's obviously a but pricey right now, but I don't go to the cinema to watch movies so I think I can justify the cost.

ascii42

That's one. 😄

When 4k OTA broadcasts are the norm you can get back to me (that's not going to be for a long time).

In the meantime I'll just use my 4k TV as my PC display and hope that 4k Blu-Ray catches on...

Yeah. ATSC 3.0 is still probably some time away from being rolled out. I'd like to see the 2018 World Cup and Olympics broadcasted in it, but who knows.

A bit off the mark, but are there any region-free bluray players available commercially? I have a bunch US BRs that I will be bringing with me to switzerland.

Burkatron81

As a collector i'll be diving right in as usual, yeah i know i'll pay the premium but what can a guy do? Upscalled blu-ray is already a decent upgrade over native 1080p as is upscalled PS4. I rekon it'll explode everywhere by the end of the year. As for broardcasts, BT have been doing the footie in the UK this season. Thoughts are generally positive as long as you have the bandwidth.

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2015/08/bt-sport-ultra-hd-made-even-my-mum-want-to-watch-4k-football/

https://www.productsandservices.bt.com/products/ultra-hd

DSmalls84

Just picked up a Samsung js8500 4k set. Is there any chance PS4/Xbox One could play/display UHD discs without a hardware revision? Don't really want to add another player to my entertainment center if possible.

ascii42

For real? That's a sad thought... All those poor souls watching shitty 480p DVDs.

DVDs aren't so bad. I watched my copies of the LotR EEs last year, and they were fine. Granted, those are bitrate-wise about as good as it gets for DVD, and the PS3 is a magnificent upscaler.

Despite being a technology enthusiast, I'm a borderline general consumer for stuff like this. My Panasonic plasma will not be replaced until it dies. When I wanted surround sound I bought an all-in-one 5.1 DVD home cinema kit instead of proper hi-fi equipment. And I watched Blu-Ray on my PS3 until better players came out at reasonable prices.

Blu-Ray still feels virtually niche, so my strategy is to keep holding on and with a bit of luck I won't need to change my hardware until the de facto standard arrives.

The samsung UHD Player is 399... The cases look like this. They are black
m-hancock4k.jpg

I obviously can tell the difference, but the average consumer is not going to recognize the difference in the packaging between that and these:

original.jpeg

4K discs need a new logo and a unmistakable name to even have a chance.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Been waiting for reasonably priced 4k projectors. Any info on resolution? Will they follow Sonys 4096x2160 or go with the same resolution as 4k TV's at 3840x2160?

Hoping the latter for better pixel mapping of upscaled material.

Edit: hmm, reading up on it, seems the TI based devices won't be "true" 4k either, but I guess reviews will tell how well the 4million mirrors can deliver 8million pixels.

I don't know if you saw this, but the L-shaped white line sandwiched between black lines is a single pixel wide in a 4K frame.

http://postimage.org/

ascii42

I obviously can tell the difference, but the average consumer is not going to recognize the difference in the packaging between that and these:

original.jpeg

4K discs need a new logo and a unmistakable name to even have a chance.

Yeah. "Mastered in 4K" was a bad idea. At least the UHD Blu-rays come with regular blu-rays so people who only have regular blu-ray players won't have too big of a problem if they buy the UHD version accidentally.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
Waiting for the format to die, then pick it up at bargain bin prices. This thing is going to flop harder than Blu-Ray.

Even less of a reason to buy. Plus, not sure we can compare Blu-Ray in today's market to LD back in the day.

i dont even understand what you're trying to say in these posts. Are you saying you want blu-ray to flop or 4k blu-ray to flop or both?

cause blu-ray has done anything but flop, like get over yourself already.

I always love these threads because there's always one or two morons that are like DIGITAL4LYFE. Great, thanks, for your wonderful contribution to the thread.

Anyway, i would not jump in now, i would wait for more content.

That said 4k blu-ray should be fine as long as they just start making "blu-rays" with 4k blu-ray and a 1080p disc or something along those lines.

Does anyone remember back at the first CES where they showed off 4k tvs and there were a bunch of analysts and industry professionals saying that 4k was just going to last for a little bit before they jumped over it and went to even higher resolutions?

What ever happened to that?

Nerdkiller

Membeur
i dont even understand what you're trying to say in these posts. Are you saying you want blu-ray to flop or 4k blu-ray to flop or both?

cause blu-ray has done anything but flop, like get over yourself already.

I always love these threads because there's always one or two morons that are like DIGITAL4LYFE. Great, thanks, for your wonderful contribution to the thread.

Anyway, i would not jump in now, i would wait for more content.

That said 4k blu-ray should be fine as long as they just start making "blu-rays" with 4k blu-ray and a 1080p disc or something along those lines.
I really hate those kinds of people. The ones who always seem to champion streaming and digital downloads not simply just because of convenience, but because there seems to be an implicit sense of smug superiority in them saying so. That it feels so good to be free of DVD's and BD's, despite the better quality of the latter when it comes to side by side quality comparisons vs streaming. Do they not care for any extras as well?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Just picked up a Samsung js8500 4k set. Is there any chance PS4/Xbox One could play/display UHD discs without a hardware revision? Don't really want to add another player to my entertainment center if possible.

Nope. The players need a different laser as well as video processing hardware.

Does anyone remember back at the first CES where they showed off 4k tvs and there were a bunch of analysts and industry professionals saying that 4k was just going to last for a little bit before they jumped over it and went to even higher resolutions?

8k is already in the pipeline and manufacturers are lining things up. That's absolutely true for the lifespan of panels. However, 8k content isn't happening this decade in any significant way.

Seemed pointless when the released majority of modern films have yet to move over to finalizing 4k even now and still on 2k and it's 2016 about a decade since blurays launched.

It's like jumping an entire step when the movie industry barely budged. Hardware without the content to the fullest.

Oh they can make the panel's, but man we are still very far behind creating stuff for it.

I'm personally waiting a year for UHD player and disc prices to plummet. It's way too expensive right now to justify upgrading my existing Blu-rays (not to mention hardly any movies have been released at the moment).

This is wise. I'm typically an early adopter, and will wait a while as well. The new HDMI spec is causing issues for many right now, (long/no handshakes, dropouts, etc.) and the movie library is not so good at launch. Give 'em at least a year to iron out the kinks with the players, TV's and get the library a bit more fleshed out.

I thought it was going to be 4:4:4. I can't actually find anything to say it is or isn't except this old article. It'll be a shame if it is 4:2:0.

I can accept my nearly 3 year old model will be more limited and has slight fuzziness and odd color shifts along high contrast edges in 4k images. But I'd be annoyed if I'd just bought a brand new TV that did that.

I guess if the format really doesn't support it and you only care about movies then it won't matter. I presume they process the video to reduce the issues when mastering.

It's for sure 4:2:0, sorry to say. That said, I've seen several people decrying the new format due to the fact that a lot of films have a 2K pipeline, especially with regard to vfx. This is a poor reason to stay away from UHD-BD. The big jump here is not the resolution bump, it's the jump to 10-bit color, rec.2020/DCI gamut, and last but not least, HDR. You really have to see these things in action before you judge.

Stinkles

HDMI 2.0 cables literally don't exist.

HDMI 2.0/2.0a is just for the ports you put the cable in.

As long as your cable is high-speed, you should be set.

Only addition I'd make to this is that very long cables work less well with 4k than 1080p, since more errors can be introduced over more data.

Once you start running lines over say, 16 feet, you can start seeing issues with any content, but it's exacerbated by larger volumes of data.

Same here its great so far!

And very unlikely, maybe in the "slim" models.

I've got the k-8500 pre ordered.

Only addition I'd make to this is that very long cables work less well with 4k than 1080p, since more errors can be introduced over more data.

Once you start running lines over say, 16 feet, you can start seeing issues with any content, but it's exacerbated by larger volumes of data.

This is true for passive cables. You can accomplish longer runs with active cables like the Cabernet series from Monoprice. YMMV. Handshaking issues and sync are spotty right now in general, but this should improve as we move forward.

Nobody not named Jeff Rigby thinks this is possible. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony release a UHD-BD capable PS4 with their first major hardware revision (i.e. slim model) since they have a vested interest in that particular market. Just tales from my ass, though.

Vashetti

Banned
Would anyone be interested in a 4K/UHD OT, with FAQs, etc.?

Just I see questions about 4K/UHD on here in the OT almost daily and I think it would benefit a lot of people if we concentrated it all into an OT that answers most people's questions in an FAQ section.

I would love to make it if people wanted it.

Just I see questions about 4K/UHD on here in the OT almost daily and I think it would benefit a lot of people if we concentrated it all into an OT that answers most people's questions in an FAQ section.

I'd subscribe!

I would I know nothing. I didn't even know about HDMI 2.0

DSmalls84

Nobody not named Jeff Rigby thinks this is possible. I wouldn't be shocked to see Sony release a UHD-BD capable PS4 with their first major hardware revision (i.e. slim model) since they have a vested interest in that particular market. Just tales from my ass, though.

Probably just start buying UHD discs going forward and get a player down the line. Good to know though. I remember seeing a long thread on the gaming side about it.

Paganmoon

I don't know if you saw this, but the L-shaped white line sandwiched between black lines is a single pixel wide in a 4K frame.

http://postimage.org/

That's with the TI DLP? seems good, though I did read one preview that mentioned in parts of the picture with lots of movement they could detect a decrease in resolution.
So actual reviews with movies is still needed.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Have Disney announced anything for UHD? Be nice if The Force Awakens UHD launched day and date with the Blu Ray.

Markitron

No reason it shouldn't if it was shot in 4k...

I don't think they have announced any films for UHD yet.

Far too much. Hollywood can't help itself. They're sending the format to die because lawyers.

They are all $30, which is about the same as a 3D Blu-Ray. Doesn't seem excessive to me, they will probably get cheaper over time as well.

Stinkles

I don't think they have announced any films for UHD yet.

They are all $30, which is about the same as a 3D Blu-Ray. Doesn't seem excessive to me, they will probably get cheaper over time as well.

Outside of retail discounts and inflation, this wasn't true for CDs, DVDs, or Blu Rays. History tells him they will not get markedly cheaper and in fact because this will only ever be a niche format, there may be further premium padding in its future.

ascii42

Outside of retail discounts and inflation, this wasn't true for CDs, DVDs, or Blu Rays. History tells him they will not get markedly cheaper and in fact because this will only ever be a niche format, there may be further premium padding in its future.

I feel like you can more reliably get new Blu-Rays for $20 than you could at release (though perhaps that's retail discounts, as you said). Seemed like they were all $30 or $35. Could be misremembering. Planet Earth was the only Blu-Ray I bought for years.

Markitron

I feel like you can more reliably get new Blu-Rays for $20 than you could at release. Seemed like they were all $30 or $35. Could be misremembering. Planet Earth was the only Blu-Ray I bought for years.

Blu Rays are definitely cheaper than they were at launch, at least where I live. I remember paying 35 euro's each for Die Hard 4 and Spiderman 3 in 2007. Nowadays a new blu ray is usually 17 Euros.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom