• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Parascientific Escape: Cruise in the Distant Seas |OT| Ur $5 ticket with Zero Escape

Shizuka

AhjbYMb.jpg

Product Info

System: Nintendo 3DS (eShop Only)
Release Date: March 3rd, 2016 (North America, Europe, New Zealand & Australia)
No. of Players: 1 player
Category: Action, Adventure (Escape Visual Novel)
Publisher: CIRCLE Ent.
Developer: Intense / Flyhigh Works
Price: $5 (North America)

Story

Hitomi Akeneno is a 16 year old high school student with a little secret - she has not one, but two psychic powers.

After receiving an invitation, she boards a luxury cruise ship with her friend, Chisono Shio. As soon as she enters a suite room, a loud explosion sounds…and she finds herself stuck, unable to get out. Is this an accident? Or something far more sinister…?

The only way to find out is to escape, with the help of her powers.

Here are a few screenshots I just took from the game:

ZQ5Hnsl.jpg

8SRD8ab.jpg

6Qxyzkw.jpg

jaina

I bought this after seeing your release date thread, an hour in so far and I think it's worth the $5.
klik.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
This game looks interesting. Hope it comes to Europe, eventually.

Finished it a little while ago (including the 2 bonus puzzles), honestly I thought it wasn't particularly good for a multitude of reasons.

For starters, yeah it's a rather shameless 999 clone and it's only about 3-4 hours long, puzzles are ridiculously easy in general but there are a couple where they give you literally no indication of how to solve them (protip: keep a pen and paper to hand). The plot is paper thin to the point where I guessed the culprit within about 30 mins, it's mostly just pointless chatter in rather stiff, almost machine translated English. The few touch puzzles in the game all revolve around the psychic powers, you basically touch spots on the screen to reveal the hidden mechanisms in a typical sliding puzzle and then manipulate them to release some object. As for the ending, they don't wrap up a single plot point - almost as if it's meant to be an episodic release.

daxgame

Finished it a little while ago (including the 2 bonus puzzles), honestly I thought it wasn't particularly good for a multitude of reasons.

For starters, yeah it's a rather shameless 999 clone and it's only about 3-4 hours long, puzzles are ridiculously easy in general but there are a couple where they give you literally no indication of how to solve them (protip: keep a pen and paper to hand). The plot is paper thin to the point where I guessed the culprit within about 30 mins, it's mostly just pointless chatter in rather stiff, almost machine translated English. The few touch puzzles in the game all revolve around the psychic powers, you basically touch spots on the screen to reveal the hidden mechanisms in a typical sliding puzzle and then manipulate them to release some object. As for the ending, they don't wrap up a single plot point - almost as if it's meant to be an episodic release.

damn :(
I like this genre and honestly have a pretty "large" entry barrier but this isn't too encouraging.

Slermy

Ugh, thanks for the impressions. I had hopes for this one. :-/

Regarding your last comment, doesn't this game have a sequel? Or am I confused?

takoyaki

Cleared 2 escape rooms so far. The translation is a bit strange, I've noticed typos and some very stiff/too literal translations. The music often doesn't fit the tone of what's going on (early story spoiler:
you keep searching a room for clues while an upbeat music plays in the background. Suddenly, you stumble upon a young girl and find out someone has put a bomb-collar around her neck and it will detonate in a few hours if you don’t play ball. The same upbeat music kept playing throughout the whole scene.
) The puzzles aren't very challenging, there's not a lot of animation for the characters, ...

Having said all that, I still think the game is very charming and definitely intend on finishing it soon. It's one of those 'wait for a sale if you like the genre' kind of games, but the game already is $5 which is more than fair if you're looking for something that scratches that ZE itch.

Shizuka

Just finished it and... While it's not a great game, I say it's more than plenty for the price they're asking. You can't compare a small download-only title directly to its inspiration (although it can get a little shameless and become more than just an inspired title).

Yes, the game is short, but it keeps you entertained all the way until the end. I'd rather have a short game that keeps you going than a long one that's all filler. I finished the game in 5 hours and 2 minutes. I finished the game in one sitting also, since I knew it wouldn't be particularly long.

There aren't enough plot twists in the game. The few that are there aren't major and can be seen miles away, but that's because I don't see it as a Zero Escape knockoff, meaning it doesn't need those plot twists to be worthwhile IMO.

The puzzles didn't make me write down stuff or go Einstein on a piece of paper like 999 did, but it was still enough to get me thinking to myself how I could solve that puzzle. The only part that I didn't like was
the ring lifeboat thing that MAGICALLY appears in the pool area near the end. I know that there is someone that can teleport and plant things, but I was always checking the pool for the lifeboat, not the area with the kiosk.

And about the end, there is a sequel. There isn't a major cliffhanger where things aren't answered and you become insane waiting for the sequel, but I think they leave the core of the whole operation to be answered in the sequel.

All in all, this is a really great recommendation for just $5. Any and all visual novel or Zero Escape fans can just put down five bucks and get to play this game, be it for the story or the puzzles. It's entertaining enough to make up for the money and then some.

Here is the link for official japanese website for the sequel.

Kyonashi

What's the 'so bad it's good' level like on this game? I love quirky shitty translations and weirdness as long as it's not hyper-intentional.

Just finished it and... While it's not a great game, I say it's more than plenty for the price they're asking. You can't compare a small download-only title directly to its inspiration (although it can get a little shameless and become more than just an inspired title).

There aren't enough plot twists in the game. The few that are there aren't major and can be seen miles away, but that's because I don't see it as a Zero Escape knockoff, meaning it doesn't need those plot twists to be worthwhile IMO.

The puzzles didn't make me write down stuff or go Einstein on a piece of paper like 999 did, but it was still enough to get me thinking to myself how I could solve that puzzle. The only part that I didn't like was
the ring lifeboat thing that MAGICALLY appears in the pool area near the end. I know that there is someone that can teleport and plant things, but I was always checking the pool for the lifeboat, not the area with the kiosk.

And about the end, there is a sequel. There isn't a major cliffhanger where things aren't answered and you become insane waiting for the sequel, but I think they leave the core of the whole operation to be answered in the sequel.
I don't like to adjust my view on games based on price - particularly VNs, since many sub-£10 ones pack amazing stories (Fault, Analogue etc.) - but I would agree that it's not exactly a waste of money, it's just simply lacking in every area compared to the ZE series.

Without spoiling the "plot", there is literally no feeling of urgency (despite the game forcing a time limit), no twists and turns, practically no backstory, rubbish motives and one dimensional characters that mostly just spout generic friendship phrases. And then at the end, no closure on anything, although it can't even be called a cliffhanger since they don't set anything up to keep you hanging on.

The puzzles felt very simplistic as well, it's mostly just a case of finding the one thing you can use PSI on in the room to get an item, use that item to get another item and follow the chain until you get a door key. I went on autopilot for most of the game/

What's the 'so bad it's good' level like on this game? I love quirky shitty translations and weirdness as long as it's not hyper-intentional.

Zero. I only noticed a couple of mistakes in the dialogue, otherwise the spelling and grammar is fine. It's a prime example of when a translation can be too literal, it comes across as flat and robotic.

Shizuka

Yes, it's Zero Escape-lite. Easier puzzles, less plot twists, shallow motivation from the characters. I wouldn't recommend it as much as I do if it was more expensive.

I think a lot was lost in the localization, since the characters have no personality flair. Only so much can be translated by direct replies. It's like every character being portrayed by the same person.

Thanks for the heads up. That's a real shame. I hadn't heard of the game until today though, so although I got a bit excited at the prospect of a good 999 clone, it good it got shot down quick.

takoyaki

Finished the game and thought it was pretty enjoyable. The story wasn't particularly deep and it was full of genre tropes, but that's what I expected going in. I thought the escape rooms were fun (especially the last two rooms had some clever ideas, I just wish the game had given you more options because there never was a moment where you had to think very hard about the solutions except for that
calendar
puzzle). "Zero Escape-lite" is a good description and it helps if you like sliding puzzles. The game took me around 5 hours to finish.

Question for others that have finished the game:
what was the deal with the golden smartphone, I thought it would lead to the identity of the second Ghost of W. Did I miss something? Is there a second ending?

Shizuka

what was the deal with the golden smartphone, I thought it would lead to the identity of the second Ghost of W. Did I miss something? Is there a second ending?

Great question, no idea. Maybe it was meant to do something during development, but it got scrapped and they forgot to remove it.

takoyaki

^
You're probably right. I just watched the trailer for the second game and thought it might open with someone answering that phone. But nope, the 2nd game has an entirely different cast. It's a story about catching a serial killer; that game has an adventure part and an investigation part, so it might be another kind of VN. The only connections to the first game were
the logo on a keycard and people using those powers again
. The trailer also says that dialogue decisions change the outcome of story and that the story is about changing the past.

So it looks like the 2nd game wont be another take on ZE, but still [SPOILER for VLR]
the protagonist has a cybernetic arm ;)
Hope they localize this one as well.

So basically
that phone just leads to two bonus fanservice pictures of the girls in swimsuits, supposedly they were taken by some guy that was hanging around the pool the day before the incident. You would assume it's a plot point that would be brought up in a sequel, but the way the girls didn't seem to find anything even remotely suspicious about that guy or why his phone was hidden like that, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't.

If you want to see them for yourself, here is what you need to do:
Data 1 -
It's an anagram, go to the starting room and up the stairs, then click on the painting above Merja's suitcase.
Hint for the solution:
Get a pen and paper, think about an LED clock face and what is missing.
The solution:

Data 2 -
Anagram again, go to the counter with the PC in the pool area, click on the yellow folder on the bottom shelf.
Hint for the solution:
What would it look like if you layered the top and bottom parts together?
The solution:

takoyaki

So basically
that phone just leads to two bonus fanservice pictures of the girls in swimsuits, supposedly they were taken by some guy that was hanging around the pool the day before the incident. You would assume it's a plot point that would be brought up in a sequel, but the way the girls didn't seem to find anything even remotely suspicious about that guy or why his phone was hidden like that, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't.

Thanks, that's a bit underwhelming but I'm glad I didn't miss anything important like another ending.

Dingens

does anyone know how much the EU Version costs? NoEs site doesn't show prices for eshop games and I can't access the eshop at the moment...

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished playing through this. Really fun little Zero Escape lite, especially for only $5! It's so good to see the 3DS getting more VNs. It did need a little more proofreading, but it didn't detract from the experience.

Apparently there's a sequel in Japan, so here's hoping it does well enough for us to get that too.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member
I really hope we get the sequel game here. I really did enjoy this, especially for so cheap. Reviewers are being way too harsh.

takoyaki

I'll buy another $5 ticket then.

The first one was a nice surprise, glad that it seems to have done well enough for Circle Ent. to warrant the localization of the sequel.

takoyaki

"Parascientific Escape - Gear Detective" is now available on the US eShop for $5.00

'Parascientific Escape~Gear Detective~' is a sequal to 'Parascientific Escape~Cruise in the distant seas~', where the player is required to find clues and solve puzzles to escape certain situation using PSI abilities.

The story follows Detective Kyosuke Ayana, who has the ability named chronokinesis which allows him to look back in time in a limited field of view, for up till 5 days back. Detective Ayana is hired to find a serial killer threatening the quiet neighborhood of Camellia Hills - but soon finds himself in much bigger trouble as he investigates the crime scenes.

Might be worth a new thread/OT if you want to make one Shizuka. Otherwise, we can just do this via PM ;)

Shizuka

"Parascientific Escape - Gear Detective" is now available on the US eShop for $5.00

Might be worth a new thread/OT if you want to make one Shizuka. Otherwise, we can just do this via PM ;)

I'll probably continue here, if you and other people don't mind. Not a lot of people have played the first one, let alone the sequel.

takoyaki

I'll probably continue here, if you and other people don't mind. Not a lot of people have played the first one, let alone the sequel.

Sure, that works as well. I was just joking about doing it via PM because it really felt like you, me and maybe 3 other people on GAF played the first one. Still surprised that it did well enough to let them localize the sequel.

takoyaki

I haven't even started playing the second one yet, but a few days ago the third game in the Parascientific Escape series was released on the Japanese eshop (超科学ダッシュつ最果てのクロスアイズ). It's ¥500 again and a demo is available as well.

Parascientific 3 is a cross-over featuring the protagonists from the 1st and 2nd game.

Famitsu has images, character art and the official trailer.
58a4121a0b142g2se6.jpg

Shizuka

I haven’t even started playing the second one yet, but a few days ago the third game in the Parascientific Escape series was released on the Japanese eshop (超科学ダッシュつ最果てのクロスアイズ). It’s ¥500 again and a demo is available as well.

Parascientific 3 is a cross-over featuring the protagonists from the 1st and 2nd game.

Famitsu has images, character art and the official trailer.
58a4121a0b142g2se6.jpg

Excited! I guess I should get the second one already.

Top Bottom