• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | March 2016 - This thread is badass

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lomax

not on AAA games it isn't. Capcom and Ubisoft both seem to be more weary of protecting their prices these days with their releases than before, where you could pretty much guarantee that last year's Assassin's Creed game would be $5-$7.50 shortly before the next year's came out as an example

That just straight up isn't true. ACIV didn't hit 75% off for years. ACIII most definitely didn't hit 75% off before ACIV. Maybe AC1 and 2 did before ACIII, but I really don't think so, and also there was a longer gap between those games. And again, today's 66% off might be lower than yesterday's 75% off, just depending on the base price. That was the case with the Dead Rising bundle for example.

A lot of games hit 75% off quicker in the old days because they were late PC ports, not because they went on sale quickly. The market has changed substantially in that regard. But games still get cheaper over time, not to mention the prevalence of bundles and the like.

I also think the "new version every year" has distorted perceptions a lot. Far Cry 3 is only a little over three years old whereas the first Far Cry is now twelve years old.

Corpekata

Banned
Looks like GMG now accepts vouchers for Dark Souls 3 / Deluxe Edition, used the 27% "plz come back" one in my mail.

Going to be interesting to see country of origin for the code in the Steam console if possible. "Flame, dear flame... cyka bljat."

Is that 27 percent one account bound?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Strange that there's no 5200 titles. Also a shame that 2600 licensed arcade hits like Donkey Kong & Pac-Man will never make the cut as well. Same goes for Activision classics.

Oh well. Still a fantastic collection of and by itself.

I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to play the 2600's licenced version of Pac-Man though.

YksqsTo.png

The 5200 version was pretty close to the arcade though.

That just straight up isn't true. ACIV didn't hit 75% off for years. ACIII most definitely didn't hit 75% off before ACIV. Maybe AC1 and 2 did before ACIII, but I really don't think so, and also there was a longer gap between those games. And again, today's 66% off might be lower than yesterday's 75% off, just depending on the base price. That was the case with the Dead Rising bundle for example.

A lot of games hit 75% off quicker in the old days because they were late PC ports, not because they went on sale quickly. The market has changed substantially in that regard. But games still get cheaper over time, not to mention the prevalence of bundles and the like.

I also think the "new version every year" has distorted perceptions a lot. Far Cry 3 is only a little over three years old whereas the first Far Cry is now twelve years old.
ACIV was when that $7.50 rule broke. I got ACIII the year ACIV came out for $7.50 and then after that it's been a miracle if those games dropped all that much. ACIV is only now starting to get into that price range in sales.

the point being, it appears that publishers are a lot more hesitant with doing deep discounts and lowering the prices of their games in general because there's less of a need to these days. There's a market for PC games now that wasn't nearly as big 5 years ago and they dont feel the need to slash prices as much to move units anymore.

kagamin

People that put out Steam reviews aren't the brightest individuals

zCkHZBi.png

I can safely say that Far Cry Primal is much better than these F tier moe RPGs

If we're going by intended audience, Neptunia's intended audience likes their games much more than Far Cry Primal's intended audience, so it balances out.

cyba89

Ubisoft's biggest mistake is making mediocre games that all follow a similar formula and thus make people bored of them. Along with performance/technical issues and uplay makes all of their games mixed.

I enjoyed Far cry 3 and assassins greed but using the same formula over and over just makes me bored of them even more when there are other issues with the games.

Sure that's true for Ass Creed and Far Cry, but not for Anno, Trials, Zombi, Rainbow Six, Child Of Light, Rayman, South Park, HoMM and other Ubisoft titles.

Aaron D.

I can't imagine anyone actually wanting to play the 2600's licenced version of Pac-Man though.

The 5200 version was pretty close to the arcade though.

Real Talk: Pac-Man 2600 was and remains my Biggest Disappointment in Gaming History.

Waited months for the original release. Suffered through a Q4 '81 to Q1 '82 delay. Finally purchased the game release week. Took it home and put in the cart with a slight tremor in my hands I was so excited (Pac-Man Fever was real back then).

Played the game for about 30 seconds and realized with dawning horror that it was absolute shit. Man did I feel some teary, burning-hot rage that day. I felt betrayed. Thinking about it almost 35 years later still feels like it was yesterday. LOL, I'll never forget it.

100% true story.

So yeah, I'm in it for the nostalgia. :p

Strange that there's no 5200 titles.

There are rights issues with those. General Computer Corporation programmed almost all the Atari produced 7800 games and about half of the 5200 games. While the current version of Atari owns the ip, they don't have the rights to resell the code.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No it's been happening. Microsoft has been force installing Windows 10 and apps recently. Its only happening to a few people and it seems like they are testing out how tolerant people are to automatic installs.

[Citation Needed]

Hmm...upon logging into Groupees they requested a password reset.

Other groupees things: the coins from that casual 6 bundle can finally be used and there is another blind pre-order bundle with 6 games (chatbot is saying 3 games are revealed and a number of point-and-click/HOG type games).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
No ACC India and Russia sale :(

Bigger news is that I should've waited on ZombiU instead of buying Nexuiz and Ghost in the Shell: First Assault.

GitS isn't bad, but is gonna go F2P eventually (just wanted to try it and well buying it adds a +1 for me), Nexuiz is dead.

Should've waited and gotten it + Block'hood instead. Oh well, I guess I can spend another $10 this weekend. :/

ACIV was when that $7.50 rule broke. I got ACIII the year ACIV came out for $7.50 and then after that it's been a miracle if those games dropped all that much. ACIV is only now starting to get into that price range in sales.

the point being, it appears that publishers are a lot more hesitant with doing deep discounts and lowering the prices of their games in general because there's less of a need to these days. There's a market for PC games now that wasn't nearly as big 5 years ago and they dont feel the need to slash prices as much to move units anymore.

There are a few other things to consider. AC3 was not well received. Nor was Revelations before it. AC4 got a lot of praise right out of the gate. The reception and sales would influence the discounts. Also, AC4 was around the time uplay started to become a serious client. They would obviously prefer customers buy directly from them or buy uplay keys elsewhere. And finally, they might have figured out that some people insist on buying their games on Steam so they could try and charge a premium price (so to speak) for those customers.

Buraindo

Nice, thanks. Got mine.

While at MoH. More people should give the best MoH game a shot. It's even on Steam!

I had so much fun with it on PS3! It's great fun!

I like Allied Assault more, but Airborne is rarely ever mentioned. Shame, because it was great, at least until a certain enemy type starts popping up every now and then.

madjoki

We are releasing the mechanical CAD geometry for the Steam Controller and are eager to see the accessories and variations that come from your creativity. We are making available, under Creative Commons licensing, the geometry of all externally visible parts. This allows you to create and share to your heart’s content, but you’ll need to get in touch with Valve if you want to sell your creations.

The archive contains several eDrawings viewer files: from Creo Express and native Modeling, to neutral exchange and 3D print files – for compatibility with a wide variety of your design tools.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/353370/announcements/detail/901091250587237164

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's... beautiful. *wipes tear*

Congrats.

I don't have it. Nobody has it, unless there is someone at Valve who adds everything they can to their account.

I'll probably get there myself by the end of the year, however, even though I've more or less stopped collecting (exceptions: pre-orders/Early Access games with content-related incentives, stuff that's liable to be pulled for one reason or another, probably bundle fodder, and of course the occasional thing that actually interests me).

Edit: Oh, and DLC for games I already own.

Do you still care?
Unless there's a Saoirse game coming soon?

No. My featured badge is the completed Potato Sack badge and my profile has been removed from Astats.

I don't have it. Nobody has it, unless there is someone at Valve who adds everything they can to their account.

I'll probably get there myself by the end of the year, however, even though I've more or less stopped collecting (exceptions: pre-orders/Early Access games with content-related incentives, stuff that's liable to be pulled for one reason or another, probably bundle fodder, and of course the occasional thing that actually interests me).

No. My featured badge is the completed Potato Sack badge and my profile has been removed from Astats.

Damn, the day you sell that account, you'll make yourself a milionair my boy :")
Although, it seems you don't have OutRun 2006 :"")

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Damn, the day you sell that account, you'll make yourself a milionair my boy :")
Although, it seems you don't have OutRun 2006 :"")

Yeah, that was already gone before when I caught the collecting bug and I had no prior desire to get my hands on it as racing games have never really interested me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom