• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank - Flaming into the Next Generation (A Retrospective)

RK128

c53a1a2ca274dbc9a5419c0615c67128.jpg

After the success of my on-going Sonic Retrospective, we are going to blast into PlayStation with the Ratchet and Clank Retrospective!

The Ratchet and Clank series is one I really love, but the original game I played far later; my opinions on the original changed a lot from when I first played it too when I played it recently on my Vita, so let’s start this retrospective on the Lombax and Robot with not a whipper, but a grand blast!

- - - - - - - - -

The series origins stem post the release of Spyro: Year of the Dragon, as Insomniac Games moved on from the Spyro series after feeling like they retched a limit on what they can do with a four-legged creature.

latest

So, Sony and Insomniac dropped the Spyro IP in favor for making a new series that Sony owned.

They called the original game 'Girl with a Stick' and it was going to be more of a Zelda-like adventure but they changed it to something closer to their past work on Spyro, but in space.

500x_girl_with_a_stick.jpg

After prototyping with various creature prototypes, they came to the final designs of Ratchet and Clank. Once this process was done, they gave the game its 'gimmick' being the various weapons they collect and exploring unique planets.

kowUfGM.png

Fast forward to November 2002, they release Ratchet & Clank a year after the release of Insomniac’s friendly rival, Naughty Dog's Jak & Daxter. Both games shared the same tech (core engine) across the PS2 Era too :).

The game was going to be a success and Sony expected this, with them greenlighting a sequel to this game well before its launch (three months before the game went gold).

So, with this game having lofty expectations, how does its gameplay fare?

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Ratchet & Clank feels like a natural successor to Insomniac’s past work with Spyro the Dragoon; large open levels to explore with various paths and objectives to complete. It can also be argued that the guns are less for heavy combat and to just push foes away faster (like the Spyro series). The guns do not having a strafing feature until later in the game, so you are pushed into using your wretch far more (the melee weapon of the game). Guns come in a large variety, and they are the heart of the series going forward.

8116743217_1cfc6bb184_c.jpg

The blaster, the bomb glove, the agents of doom (little robots that attack your foes when planted on the floor), flamethrower (more or less a gun version of Spyro's breath ability but far more affective), Sheep-Ray (that turns your foes into sheep)......and the RYNO.

THIS games BFG gun, the nuke, the most powerful weapon in the game and while it takes a while to buy, its soooo worth it :D!

1c9d3303b9bd0fd1a103819a690ce257.jpg

This gun comes back in every single Ratchet game and it works different depending on the game.

One last element about the guns, is that you need bolts to collect them. You get them from bashing creates, collect bolts on the ground or from defeated robots/creatures. Using the bolts you collect, you can buy various gadgets, weapons and later in the series, armor to increase your health. It’s as if your coins from Mario can be used to get stronger power-ups or if the Rings in Sonic can be used to purchase upgrades to your spin dash; it GIVES greater meaning to your currency and it makes collecting them addicting and really rewarding. Plus, the feeling of smashing boxes and hearing that iconic bolt sound……so good XD!

Z4VFFIT.gif

- - - - - - - - -

So, you must be asking "Wait.....this IS a platformer, right? You only are talking about the weapons now....."

Yes! This game is a platformer, and a really fun one at that.

The original Ratchet and Clank is very close to being a core platformer compared to the rest of the series (which taps into its gunplay a bit more), with Ratchet having a lot of weight, feeling a bit slippery and his double jump not being that effective. This leads to level design focusing on fun platforming sections and each level has at least 2-3 paths to take.

Each paths offers something 'different'; climbing up a sewer system, exploring an underwater cavern and fighting through a construction site in Novalis for example. Every world works like this and it makes every planet feel like, well, a full planet!

You really get the impression that you are exploring a galaxy in the original Ratchet & Clank, and that is its greatest accomplishment. One more thing before moving on to the story, the gadgets and Clank sections.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Ratchet gets a lot of gadgets across the game like a slingshot, gravity and grind boots, hoverboard, thruster for faster swimming, heli-pack to hover in the air, jet pack that allows you to strafe and more! They make exploring the world really fun and it makes things really replayable (as some level chunks require specific gadgets you get on latter planets).

rkF51DI.gif

Clank has sections where you can control little robots that can attack foes, enter switches and stop in place. These sections are a bit challenging and they offer some fun puzzle elements. This mechanic stays in the series for a very long time and it only gets more & more in-depth as the series goes on.

We also get......GIANT CLANK! He destroys everything in his path, shoots a barrage of missiles and is raw destruction! ......It’s fun :). It only gets better in latter games where Giant Clank has more usage :).

hqdefault.jpg

- - - - - - - - - -

My only issue with the gameplay is very small things and I will list them:
-No pause screen when selecting weapons/gadgets
-Weapon wheel too small, so you frequently go into the menus to re-adjust the wheel
-No strafing or lock on feature for your weapons until very late in the game

These issues are minor….because later games eradicate them and make them non-issue, but will get to that when we talk about later games ;).

- - - - - - - - - -

The story is where this game really shines bright, as Insomniac tried hard to make more or less a playable cartoon. And I feel they do a good job here.

9Flvo7d.gif

Ratchet is a bit of prick who is open to adventure but is quite selfish until latter in the game, Clank is a little robot who wants to become a hero, Dreck is a great core villain that is quite funny at points, and Captain Quark is more or less a kid friendly Zap Brandagan from Futurama....its as amazing as it sounds XD!

The core plot is that Dreck's species is trying to make a new planet after destroying their homeworld and they are using parts of other planets to accomplish this.....but that will destroy them. Clank gets wind of this after being made and crash lands on Ratchet's planet of Velden. Ratchet and Clank come to an agreement to work together to save the day with distractions and other problems having them but heads after a while.

Ratchet is a really prick here, very different then latter games. He disagrees with Clank a lot, he outright yells at the little robot and he is very vengeful/angry latter in the game. But that makes him more human and makes his friendship with Clank all the more realistic. They dislike each other, but slowly become friends over time. Leads to funny scenes and the game as a whole being really rewarding to play through :).

The other characters are really funny as well. Skid Midmarks being a 'chill' dude, the Plumber being quite funny, bikers that have a soft side to them; the game has a strong personality and the story opens this up in spades.

Overall, its a great plot and it sets up for a really enjoyable series to follow.

- - - - - - - - - - -

hqdefault.jpg

The presentation is really impressive, with detailed textures, massive locations to explore and every level looking different. The world also looks very alien and futuristic, setting up the location greatly. We also got a lot of strong visual effects, shaders and a lot of detail on the character models; a lot of care was put into making this cartoony world feel 'alive'.

latest

This effect is only enhanced with the sound. Explosions sound great, ambiance is done well and the sound of smashing creates just pushes you to keep on breaking them XD!

Musically, the game is strong too.

Velden: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHQos_kVWYQ&list=PLD913041344F737E9&index=2
Kerwan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjGxXK_ltcs&index=8&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Kerwan Training Course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KtQMxAUSjY&index=9&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Euroda: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPLPobwXdQ&index=11&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Blarg Station: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDTVZxkK1no&index=13&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Rilgar City: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMPsMETuaNc&index=16&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Hoverboard Race: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuFCqEt51yo&index=17&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Umbris Quarks Base: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prf9SN5H2i0&index=19&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Batalia Rail Grinding: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jzKSFxPjllM&index=22&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Olantis Orbit - Base: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JnOlg6zrr4&index=31&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Olantis - Planet: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0jVB-xwDMg&index=33&list=PLD913041344F737E9
Velden in Peril: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U6S1UfspRP0&index=40&list=PLD913041344F737E9

It sets up a very strong mood and is more varied in comparison to the latter games in the series. Love this soundtrack a lot :).

- - - - - - - - - - -

This game is a great title that offers a lot of reasons to replay it. You can go back to the game when you beat it to get gold weapons using bolts/gold bolts you collect, play with your weapons some more and have an easier time with the larger health you have (if you upgraded it across the game originally).

Overall, I love this game and while I prefer the later games in the series more, Ratchet & Clank 1 is a very strong title that sets up a lot for future games in the series.

Lets go commando when we join Ratchet and Clank on a new adventure soon enough :).

ratchet.jpg

Onaco

Ratchet and clank is like my spiritual successors to crash, I love this franchise.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy was more of a spiritual successor, but we know where that series went. Ratchet did maintain a more linear design like Crash, but gave splits in the paths and encouraged backtracking, like a blend of Crash's design with Spyro's levels.

RK128

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy was more of a spiritual successor, but we know where that series went. Ratchet did maintain a more linear design like Crash, but gave splits in the paths and encouraged backtracking, like a blend of Crash's design with Spyro's levels.

Always thought Ratchet was a mix of the two series myself :).

Tuck

Ratchet and Clank is one of my favourite series of all time. As long as they make them, I will play them.

Beautiful worlds, fun gameplay, lovable characters. Its just so good.

reKon

Banned
Ratchet and Clank ACiT was a top 5 single player campaign experience last gen (on hard mode). The Clank puzzles were brilliant and the difficulty was nearly perfect.

Drayco21

Great write up; the first Ratchet and Clank will always hold a special place in my heart. Fantastic game, hope the upcoming one can live up to it.

RK128

Great write up; the first Ratchet and Clank will always hold a special place in my heart. Fantastic game, hope the upcoming one can live up to it.

Thank you :D! Love the entire series but the original Ratchet is impressive for setting up such strong ground work.

When I get to Going Commando/Ratchet 2, will gush about how it is THE sequel and how to do one right.

RK128

Awwww, the memories. I remember when I played this section here :)
Already pre-ordered R&C for PS4. This is gonna be gooood!

Wanted to find a good spot where a lot of creates are for making that gif XD!

Love smashing creates in Ratchet; soo good :').

kevin1025

Banned
This game and Jak and Daxter made the PS2 the ultimate system when I was younger. So many good times to be had in the first Ratchet and Clank. I never got to finish all of the challenges/skill points on PS2 or on PS3 more recently, some are fairly difficult. But the game still holds up incredibly, and I can't wait for the remake in two weeks!

Also, crate smashing: one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

Raylan

Banned
Wanted to find a good spot where a lot of creates are for making that gif XD!

Love smashing creates in Ratchet; soo good :').

Good spot right there ;)
I still have my Games Convention (Leipzig/Germany....terrible city) demo disc. Played the hell out of it (together with the Jak & Daxter demo). I love these games so much!

RK128

This game and Jak and Daxter made the PS2 the ultimate system when I was younger. So many good times to be had in the first Ratchet and Clank. I never got to finish all of the challenges/skill points on PS2 or on PS3 more recently, some are fairly difficult. But the game still holds up incredibly, and I can't wait for the remake in two weeks!

Also, crate smashing: one of the most satisfying things in gaming.

There is just something about smashing crates in games that makes it soo much fun! Got a similar feeling when spinning into things in Crash Bandicoot :D.

Zyrox

One of my all time favorite franchises. I remember that I had a demo disc with quite a few demos on it back in the day (came with some magazines) and a demo of R&C was on that disc. I was completely captivated by that demo, played that over and over and convinced my grandma to get the full game (she liked watching it). That started my love for the franchise. Bought every (mainline) title since.
Can't wait to revisit the start of it all with the remake next month.

Favorite weapon in the first game was the (golden) Devastator. Great homing system.

Let's be fair to Ratchet here. Clank was a naive dope who basically blackmailed Ratchet into doing his bidding only to end up almost getting them both killed. His anger wasn't completely unwarranted, he just dragged it out for a bit too long.

RK128

Let's be fair to Ratchet here. Clank was a naive dope who basically blackmailed Ratchet into doing his bidding only to end up almost getting them both killed. His anger wasn't completely unwarranted, he just dragged it out for a bit too long.

I mean, when you're right, you're right XD!

Still, the 'I hate you! ....But we will be friends latter on" trope is a bit stale after a while :). It makes Ratchet feel 'real' as any real person would be bitter about almost being killed time and time again.

Loving your retrospectives OP, can't wait for both Sonic Rush and Ratchet 2 :D I've never really touched the first R&C title, I don't think. It always looked pretty clunky having played most of the titles thereafter, I'm going to use the forthcoming reboot as my canon start to the series I think!

RK128

Loving your retrospectives OP, can't wait for both Sonic Rush and Ratchet 2 :D I've never really touched the first R&C title, I don't think. It always looked pretty clunky having played most of the titles thereafter, I'm going to use the forthcoming reboot as my canon start to the series I think!

But my Sonic Rush thread is up already buddy :D! Link: https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1200200

If you mean Rush Adventure, that is coming up soon :).

Syril

Insomniac still has a page up from the 10th anniversary that talks about the history of the designs. http://www.insomniacgames.com/ratchet-clank-10-years-of-concept-art/
Here's some of the early concepts for Ratchet:

And Clank. Early on, Clank was going to be three different robots attached to Ratchet's head, back, and arm that would transform to function as his tools and weapons.

A while back I got to meet the principal artists Dave Guertin and Greg Baldwin (CreatureBox collectively) at a retrospective panel. They upload new artwork to their instagram page fairly regularly and have some comics and art books for sale on their website. I have the Monster Volume and it's pretty awesome. There's a whole Ratchet and Clank gallery on their site too.

Also, there was another game concept that Insomniac worked on between Spyro and Ratchet and Clank called Monster Knight.
003-610x839.jpg

It doesn't look like it ever went far enough to have footage, but they shared its design document from 1999.

RK128

Insomniac still has a page up from the 10th anniversary that talks about the history of the designs. http://www.insomniacgames.com/ratchet-clank-10-years-of-concept-art/
Here's some of the early concepts for Ratchet:

And Clank. Early on, Clank was going to be three different robots attached to Ratchet's head, back, and arm that would transform to function as his tools and weapons.

A while back I got to meet the principal artists Dave Guertin and Greg Baldwin (CreatureBox collectively) at a retrospective panel. They upload new artwork to their instagram page fairly regularly and have some comics and art books for sale on their website. I have the Monster Volume and it's pretty awesome. There's a whole Ratchet and Clank gallery on their site too.

Also, there was another game concept that Insomniac worked on between Spyro and Ratchet and Clank called Monster Knight.
003-610x839.jpg

It doesn't look like it ever went far enough to have footage, but they shared its design document from 1999.

Wow, that is some really great information :D! Love the prototype designs they had for ratchet and clank, so its great seeing them again :).

Thank you for sharing this man :).

Astral Dog

Yeah cant wait for this, even if its just a "remake" it looks so gorgeous and budget price too :). Besides im sure the price is more of a marketing strategy than about the quality of the game.

AAK

Here's to hoping the series returns and actually manages to surpass its form from "A Crack in Time"

Wakka212

This game will be a pure joy to play - fun visuals, writing, and gameplay.

Not enough games that do that really well on this scale anymore.

It's always been one of my most anticipated games of 2016.

There aren't enough screenshots of the games out there. You're usually greeted with a beautifully grand looking pan out shot of the environment every time you land on a planet, but there are hardly enough good screenshots that show this off. As soon all of the games get to PS Now, I may just use it to play through the games while taking screenshots of everything and making gifs.

Here's to hoping the series returns and actually manages to surpass its form from "A Crack in Time"
For me, ACiT will be tough for them to surpass. It's just a brilliant game all-round, and the Clank puzzles are absolutely masterful. I think it'll remain the best game Insomniac has ever made for a long, long time, as much as I hope I'm wrong.

My biggest gaming sin is to not have played the original Ratchet & Clank yet. I also did not play Quest For Booty (but I am fixing that soon).

That being said, maximum hype for the PS4 remake, the nice price just sweetens the deal.

RK128

Thankful for the OP editing the thread title to clarify this is a retrospective of the original PS2 game, must of forgot to include it in the original title. Thank you moderators and I hope you enjoy this thread :D!

And to clarify; this is to cover the ORIGINAL PS2 game, not the upcoming PS4 remaster. Sorry if I confused anyone with the thread title.

Espada

Absolutely LOVE this series. Thank you for this retrospective, as I feel Ratchet & Clank doesn't get the praise it deserve. Such a solid and fun series entry after entry.

I am hyped beyond belief to play the remake of the first game. I've got fond memories of R&C1 as a Insomniac fan from the Spyro days. The crazy commercials for the first game are still fresh in my mind as well.

Ah this really brings back memories, really adored the first game.

Great retrospective! Looking forward to your Going Commado one!

jayu26

Hey, I missed this thread. Thanks for the bump...

Thanks for the retrospective OP.

I played this game on my cousin's PS2 during one summer vacation. We would take turns after one us died. He didn't have a memory card for the PS2, so we would leave the PS2 running over night. When it came time to buy PS360, I had to go with PS3 in part because of this series. Thanks for the great memories Insomniac.

This is probably my favorite series/franchise I've ever grew up with back in middle school.

Always fun to try out the new toys and get enough bolts for the RYNO.

WarAdept

There was a distinct amount of fluffing around with the series come PS3 era. Experimentation and side games, I just felt like it lost a bit of direction. Crack In Time was noteworthy for sure but I felt the guns wern't as fun as Tools of Destruction, which is a shame.

UYA still remains as the pinnacle for me.

Top Bottom