• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman [Mafia] |OT| The mafia game Gafia deserves , but not the one it needs

Ty4on

So AB, who was part of the group of 4 that Launch investigated, got lynched?

It's a weird kill, isn't it? Not only was he part of Launch's group, but Sorian, Trigger and Xam have all claimed an active ability and Camjo-Z, El Topo and LaunchpadMcQ have all claimed an exhausted ability. The latter three also have some soft confirmations of their role.

I don't have any good explanations. I'm guessing a big part is WIFOM and if Coppa is scum they might have planned to bus Coppa anyways. AB had zero votes yesterday BTW.

Sorian

Banned
It's a weird kill, isn't it? Not only was he part of Launch's group, but Sorian, Trigger and Xam have all claimed an active ability and Camjo-Z, El Topo and LaunchpadMcQ have all claimed an exhausted ability. The latter three also have some soft confirmations of their role.

I don't have any good explanations. I'm guessing a big part is WIFOM and if Coppa is scum they might have planned to bus Coppa anyways. AB had zero votes yesterday BTW.

There's a soft confirmation on Launch?

I claimed to be vanilla on D2 and had only revealed my role name on D1 at utmost necessity. You claimed without need and are still alive and kicking.
you claimed that you at one point you had a power
that should have at least put you on scum's radar
moreso than absolutbro

Dear mafia,

12345 is not a good password either. Hope you learned your lesson last night.

Sincerely,
Barbara Gordon

Did you do a block during the night phase? If so, the kill would probably be the last submitted to the moderator by any scum. Unless you did it for the day phase again?

So after Roy posted results yesterday, I got a PM from him. It said (changing the wording) that the effects of the joker toxin worsen causing me to be unable to submit a night action due to fits of laughter.

So yeah, my intention was to kill Coppa last night (which I will push full force by vote today) but I couldn't. I remember (not finding it on mobile) that weemad said she thought it was too bad I obviously wasn't a vig, I'm not sure why she thought that though. I'll try to field questions as much as I can but don't expect any other huge posts until I'm at a comp later tonight.

Joker toxin? The flavor specified Joker?

Also, I said you weren't a vig because when I asked you what your move was, you classified it as positive not negative. Personally I regard killing as a negative effect for the target.

Sorian

Banned
Part of El Topo. If he is telling the truth it's hard to imagine him pulling that off without a scum chat.

I don't follow? Launch's plan didn't really require help from anyone else. That's kind of why it's believable, he pushed it all on his own and he may have had help in making it work publicly but I don't think much would have needed to be coordinated secretly.

Ty4on

Did you do a block during the night phase? If so, the kill would probably be the last submitted to the moderator by any scum. Unless you did it for the day phase again?

Also, I said you weren't a vig because when I asked you what your move was, you classified it as positive not negative. Personally I regard killing as a negative effect for the target.

Maybe wait until everybody has checked in, but I'd like a paraphrasing of yesterday's posting restrictions. All I could see was that you had to rhyme like a limerick (AABBA) and failing to do so would modkill you.

Camjo-Z

Yeah, I'm kind of done listening to Sorian. I knew that if Kark died and flipped town, Sorian's power was either going to mysteriously not work or have some effect that's totally impossible for town to see.

Think about it for a second. Do you really think there is no other night killer in this game? It is smaller but 18 still needs something to speed along night kills. That's supposed to be me apparently but either by luck or otherwise (by luck on the Kark role block at least), I haven't been able to.

Wow, a 1-shot vig. That'll certainly speed the game along!

Here's something better to think about: why would you even have a "strong" modifier? We have a doc, we have a commuter, we have whatever I am, we have a town roleblocker, and according to you we have a maf votestealer/roleblocker. That seems like a lot of shit for a regular vig to get past already, but to also have to charge your kill and have it be one-shot? Nah. I'm guessing you're probably maf with a cooldown. You got blocked by Kark N1, you used your power N2, and now you're trying to stay alive one more day to use it again.

you claimed that you at one point you had a power
that should have at least put you on scum's radar
moreso than absolutbro

The AbsolutBro kill makes sense as that gets rid of another member of the Launch list. It's even easier to push a lynch when you can point to the list and say "but there's a 50% chance of hitting scum guys!!"

Fireblend

Banned
Flux argued at the beginning of the game that it will be the trust I place in other people what would lead me to my ruin, and I'm starting to fear that might be right. I'd love to have something against Sorian so I could agree with Topo and crack the case wide open, or at least feel confident enough about his towniness, but I'm right in the middle and have no salvo to use against him. Xam's another player I have growing distrust for, but I can't justify pushing a lynch on him in fears of falling for scum's game of pitting us against each other after the PRs keep surviving.

Looking at the votes feels way harder than in other games, since we're without a single scum lynch.

Trigger, anything to report? Coppa, why did you visit Kark 2 nights ago?

El Topo

1 day block, 1 night block. Cannot be used to block D1/N1, cannot be used in succession. Both hacks were successful, according to roy.

D2 communication was blocked
N3 communication was blocked

I have to PM roy if I want to block communication during the next phase, i.e. I sent my command during N1 to block D2 and I sent my command on D3 (29 minutes before the end of the day) to block N3.

Ty4on

I don't follow? Launch's plan didn't really require help from anyone else. That's kind of why it's believable, he pushed it all on his own and he may have had help in making it work publicly but I don't think much would have needed to be coordinated secretly.

It wasn't a simple claim. He described his action in small chunks over several pages. I just think it would be too elaborate for a lone scum to pull off unless they were lucky enough to plan everything in the night phase.

Coppanuva visited Kark last night. I'm a tracker. I'm not sure why he visited Kark. I was hoping that Coppanuva might say something to give me a better read of the situation.

Given that Karkador wasn't dead, I'm not sure what significance this has. Are you just trying to show scum an alleged power role? Coppa hasn't been contributing a ton, but apart from that I would need to see evidence of him doing something bad before I could declare him scummy. He's null to me.

I'm sure scum was laughing at me yesterday. They do have a role blocker and they completely were able to stop me from acting. Longer post coming soon with the whole truth on my role and what happened.
Scum have a roleblocker as well as town having a roleblocker?

alright
guys
listen up
not having trust had us lynch a town roleblocker yesterday
If you guys aren't going to have even the slightest bit of trust, I'm more than willing to vote myself and speed the scum victory along

Sorian

Banned

It said Joker specifically, yes. And you didn't ask if it was negative or positive for the target (or at least I didn't interpret it that way). Clearing some of the list at this point was positive regardless but hitting town would have brought it back to nil. No real negative though unless I killed someone really special.

Yeah, I'm kind of done listening to Sorian. I knew that if Kark died and flipped town, Sorian's power was either going to mysteriously not work or have some effect that's totally impossible for town to see.

Here's something better to think about: why would you even have a "strong" modifier? We have a doc, we have a commuter, we have whatever I am, we have a town roleblocker, and according to you we have a maf votestealer/roleblocker. That seems like a lot of shit for a regular vig to get past already, but to also have to charge your kill and have it be one-shot? Nah. I'm guessing you're probably maf with a cooldown. You got blocked by Kark N1, you used your power N2, and now you're trying to stay alive one more day to use it again.

The AbsolutBro kill makes sense as that gets rid of another member of the Launch list. It's even easier to push a lynch when you can point to the list and say "but there's a 50% chance of hitting scum guys!!"

Certainly faster than this has been rolling. I've never seen a gafia game with only scum kills each night and that's it. The answer to your other question is obvious. I don't counter the mafia's role blocker so they must have a bulletproof. Or Xam is really a scum doctor but really? I doubt it.I'm also still not believing this is it in terms of kills, someone is either sitting on their kill not doing anything or is unable to like me.

Flux argued at the beginning of the game that it will be the trust I place in other people what would lead me to my ruin, and I'm starting to fear that might be right. I'd love to have something against Sorian so I could agree with Topo and crack the case wide open, or at least feel confident enough about his towniness, but I'm right in the middle and have no salvo to use against him. Xam's another player I have growing distrust for, but I can't justify pushing a lynch on him in fears of falling for scum's game of pitting us against each other after the PRs keep surviving.

Looking at the votes feels way harder than in other games, since we're without a single scum lynch.

I reread the whole thread during the night phase, and I found it interesting how Skyodin was the only person on Day 1 to have genuine suspicion of Sorian. And he died.

Then Day 3, Sorian was extremely focused on getting Karkador killed. I sincerely started to doubt his scumness at about two hours before deadline, because there was no push to get off him again, just like with Mazre.

Those are two rather suspicious things for you.

Ty4on

I assume you meant this:
No, that is not what I meant.

So many times people point to "this is obviously scummy play!" as a reason for a lynch in the early phases, and then that person ends up being town. The people who end up being scum? They're the ones who give off the good vibes or the ones who give off the vibes leaning in that direction. They have the allies, the knowledge and the cautious attitude to pull it off. Not to mention that their entire win condition revolves around that, and less so for town players.

I wasn't saying "everything is a lie." I was saying "the opposite of what people the majority tend to think is true."

I interpret it differently. Sure, you shouldn't put all of your trust into someone unless you're really certain. I think his main point though is that typical #scumtells and townie behaviour are flawed. Looking back at most games I see a lot of townies that are brash, overconfident, etc. while scum tends to hold back while saying quite reasonable things.
Flux made this post on D1:
Nevermind.

VOTE: Pop-O-Matic

The unvote was a knee-jerk response to your latest comment, but there's nothing there that actually convinces me to not follow through and change my vote. I'm also feeling less enthused about voting on Ty4on or TL21.

The players I think should not be lynched during this Day phase:

1. Mazre
2. Karkador
3. Xamtheking
4. FluxWaveZ
He later clarified it wasn't a town read of anyone, but he still correctly identified two townies who were about to be lynched.

Camjo-Z

I don't counter the mafia's role blocker so they must have a bulletproof. Or Xam is really a scum doctor but really? I doubt it.

Ultimately the doc doesn't really matter whether he's maf or not because you wouldn't be able to use the power without it being strong anyway. It would also be pointless for maf to have a bulletproof to counter a one-shot vig. That'd be assuming that out of all these targets, you will not only avoid being hit by the two roleblockers, but will also manage to hit the 1 out of 4-5 maf who happens to be the bulletproof with your single kill. No, it sounds to me like a way to explain why your wind-up power mysteriously hasn't been seen yet.

VOTE: Sorian

Ty4on

Certainly faster than this has been rolling. I've never seen a gafia game with only scum kills each night and that's it. The answer to your other question is obvious. I don't counter the mafia's role blocker so they must have a bulletproof. Or Xam is really a scum doctor but really? I doubt it.I'm also still not believing this is it in terms of kills, someone is either sitting on their kill not doing anything or is unable to like me.

What's the point of a bullet proof if you're the only non scum who can kill? A killing neutral or a second vigilante?

Fireblend

Banned

What are you saying Sorian used his vote for N2? Targeting himself so his vote wouldn't count? I'm not sure how I feel about the 50% thing. Are you saying you think both Ty and Coppa are town? That seems unlikely to me, but then again, why increase the odds of us lynching scum if there's something in the list? Are they trying to discredit it by making us doubt exactly that? Are they willing to bus one of their own today in order to gain trust? Are they bluffing? Daring us to continue lynching from there?

I'm not a fan of the mechanics analysis, but thanks, we have few stuff to go on so I'll consider it.

I reread the whole thread during the night phase, and I found it interesting how Skyodin was the only person on Day 1 to have genuine suspicion of Sorian. And he died.

Then Day 3, Sorian was extremely focused on getting Karkador killed. I sincerely started to doubt his scumness at about two hours before deadline, because there was no push to get off him again, just like with Mazre.

Those are two rather suspicious things for you.

Thanks, those are some excellent points I would've never noticed - I'll go back and read some of that myself. I'm not sure scum-Sorian would argue for NK'ing Odin for being suspicious of him though, that seems a little too obvious, but then again it might have been an early bluff we didn't even notice because usually everyone at that stage in the game is too willing to give Sorian a pass.

Sorian

Banned
Scum have a roleblocker as well as town having a roleblocker?

Yes? Certainly wouldn't be the first time.

alright
guys
listen up
not having trust had us lynch a town roleblocker yesterday
If you guys aren't going to have even the slightest bit of trust, I'm more than willing to vote myself and speed the scum victory along

Are you posting weird on purpose?

Ultimately the doc doesn't really matter whether he's maf or not because you wouldn't be able to use the power without it being strong anyway. It would also be pointless for maf to have a bulletproof to counter a one-shot vig. That'd be assuming that out of all these targets, you will not only avoid being hit by the two roleblockers, but will also manage to hit the 1 out of 4-5 maf who happens to be the bulletproof with your single kill. No, it sounds to me like a way to explain why your wind-up power mysteriously hasn't been seen yet.

How would the doc not matter against a strong kill. I don't think Xam is the key here but what are you arguing? Of course a strong kill could counter a doc.

What's the point of a bullet proof if you're the only non scum who can kill? A killing neutral or a second vigilante?

I think a killing neutral. Aside from Launch's theory on Camjo, I have no clue why nothing is happening.

-----

As for votes on me, I don't really have much to say. This has been a piss poor game, no thanks to Kark (yes, calling you out). Coppa has sat back and done nothing this entire game, he shows up on Launch's list, he only responds when he is in trouble. Sorry, that's the only course of action I see. I've wanted this since day 1 and I shouldn't have gotten side tracked.

Sorian

Banned

Oh meant to say something else to this. I had an override in the FF game and I was literally meant to counter only one player on the whole game. Hyper on the scum team was a vote bomb (killed the last person who voted for him). Vig is automatically a counter against all scum, the strong just adds extra to it. If you are trying to argue balance then you are missing some of the balancing.

Maybe wait until everybody has checked in, but I'd like a paraphrasing of yesterday's posting restrictions. All I could see was that you had to rhyme like a limerick (AABBA) and failing to do so would modkill you.

Was I right about your limericks? AABBA rhyming or you die?

You are so impatient. I'll get to you when I get to you. Come to think of it, I should've gotten back to Karkador. Maybe if I had asked him more questions I'd have been confident enough in him to unvote before the end of the day.

It won't happen again, I promise you that.

Camjo-Z

What are you saying Sorian used his vote for N2? Targeting himself so his vote wouldn't count? I'm not sure how I feel about the 50% thing. Are you saying you think both Ty and Coppa are town? That seems unlikely to me, but then again, why increase the odds of us lynching scum if there's something in the list? Are they trying to discredit it by making us doubt exactly that? Are they willing to bus one of their own today in order to gain trust? Are they bluffing? Daring us to continue lynching from there?

I doubt that Sorian is the vote thief, self-targeting for such a power seems unlikely.

I don't know about Coppa and Ty4on. I'd like to hear what Coppa has to say before I pass judgement on that. All I know is that an AbsolutBro kill makes no sense for maf unless they wanted to draw attention to the other two people on the list.

How would the doc not matter against a strong kill. I don't think Xam is the key here but what are you arguing? Of course a strong kill could counter a doc.

What I'm saying is that since you apparently can't use the kill ability without it being strong, a doc is ultimately irrelevant. Nothing he does would stop you.

Oh meant to say something else to this. I had an override in the FF game and I was literally meant to counter only one player on the whole game. Hyper on the scum team was a vote bomb (killed the last person who voted for him). Vig is automatically a counter against all scum, the strong just adds extra to it. If you are trying to argue balance then you are missing some of the balancing.

The strong + one-shot modifier is a needlessly complicated addition that doesn't gel with the 4 roles who can counter you, IMO.

Ty4on

You are so impatient. I'll get to you when I get to you.

Seems like a simple thing to answer :/

I will hopefully be asleep in a few hours if I don't answer you.
Come to think of it, I should've gotten back to Karkador. Maybe if I had asked him more questions I'd have been confident enough in him to unvote before the end of the day.

It won't happen again, I promise you that.
It isn't too late with Sorian or Coppa for that matter.

Coppanuva

First off, I'm going to be on mobile the next 2 days so I'm going to post and follow as best I can, but my ability to quote and search posts may be a bit limited. That said, I'm going to try my best.

I didn't choose to visit kark 2 days ago. Not was I aware I had until until trigger mentioned it. Thats all I would like to say about that.

Sorian, why have you started literally every day pushing me right out the gate? You brought up literally no reasons for it this time, it's not at all how you usually play with a more fluid vote and it's getting old. I don't buy your azrael claim. There's a ton of holes in it. 1) why would town have a strongkill and no other vigs? To break through our own doctor protection?

2) why would a 1shot strong kill have a windup? It's way too weak and seems out of place here.

Vote: sorian

Sorian

Banned
First off, I'm going to be on mobile the next 2 days so I'm going to post and follow as best I can, but my ability to quote and search posts may be a bit limited. That said, I'm going to try my best.

I didn't choose to visit kark 2 days ago. Not was I aware I had until until trigger mentioned it. Thats all I would like to say about that.

Sorian, why have you started literally every day pushing me right out the gate? You brought up literally no reasons for it this time, it's not at all how you usually play with a more fluid vote and it's getting old. I don't buy your azrael claim. There's a ton of holes in it. 1) why would town have a strongkill and no other vigs? To break through our own doctor protection?

2) why would a 1shot strong kill have a windup? It's way too weak and seems out of place here.

Vote: sorian

I've given plenty of reasoning for 3 day phases now. I got side tracked on Kark because of his ridiculousness and the thought that a role blocker made sense for scum. I don't have much new to say except that you barely got away yesterday and I don't intend to let you get away again.

A strong kill on town side is almost always nerfed in some way. Princesses made the town strong big half of a lovers pair so that scum had two ways to kill them. If it's not obvious, this is why I've believed Xam. A doctor makes complete sense because if he is town, he could protect someone who I think is scum and I could still be allowed to trump him. The reasoning is already there and that's without having the whole picture of what scum has.

Seems like a simple thing to answer :/

I will answer.

When someone who has been subsequently cursed needs verification. You are trying to get me to publicly state all the info, which means anyone could copy it.

And you said you would understand if I waited til everyone had checked in.

Ty4on

I will answer.

When someone who has been subsequently cursed needs verification. You are trying to get me to publicly state all the info, which means anyone could copy it.

And you said you would understand if I waited til everyone had checked in.
Sorry, you just seemed to be avoiding it.
1 day block, 1 night block. Cannot be used to block D1/N1, cannot be used in succession. Both hacks were successful, according to roy.

D2 communication was blocked
N3 communication was blocked

I have to PM roy if I want to block communication during the next phase, i.e. I sent my command during N1 to block D2 and I sent my command on D3 (29 minutes before the end of the day) to block N3.
If it isn't in your role PM, could you ask Roy how scum are able to negotiate the night kill without a chat?

I think he means how would Roy figure it out if multiple scum submit different kills since they wouldn't be able to talk to each other.

He would have declared in his documents in game planning, whether it would be : first command received, last command received, or if one player had top priority.

I said it was probably the last command received, earlier.

El Topo

It could be like in Love Boat where one random member is responsible for the kill and the rest can only use their power roles if applicable.

Was that how it worked in Love Boat? I just assumed first come first serve, the rest is screwed.

roytheone

Day 4 votes

coppanuva (2)
sorian 2388
xamtheking 2394

sorian (3)
camjo-z 2420
weemadarthur 2423
coppanuva 2433

7 votes are needed for majority!
bla_1460494800.png

Coppanuva

A strong kill on town side is almost always nerfed in some way. Princesses made the town strong big half of a lovers pair so that scum had two ways to kill them. If it's not obvious, this is why I've believed Xam. A doctor makes complete sense because if he is town, he could protect someone who I think is scum and I could still be allowed to trump him. The reasoning is already there and that's without having the whole picture of what scum has.
Nerfed in some way sure. But you're nerfed in 2 ways pretty heavily.

I don't understand the xam thing. You're saying your role backs up a doctor via its existence? I don't follow it.

Top Bottom