• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Danny Phantom Mafia |OT| Your lynch doesn't stand a ghost of a chance!

Real, joke or gambit, claiming DP then was a dumb move. It's not a topic we should be focusing on, to avoid accidentally giving scum hints.

Flame, you're reading way too much into flavour without really anything to go on yet. I certainly wouldn't say we can assume there's a Godfather with any real certainty at this point. (Unless you're scum and you know that there's a godfather of course).

Hi everyone. I guess most of you know me by now, but since we have this survey floating around: I'm generally more quiet and only can post a few times per day. These posts tend to contain comments and thoughts on whatever happened since my last post. I always tell inactive people that low activity is fine as long as the bit you post is high quality and I try to live up to that. Anyway, I got described as "sharp" player frequently, which means I mostly rely on finding inconsistencies as my ability to "read" people is terrible. Oh, and that actually is a problem D1 since that one is mostly gut-reads...

okay, does anyone here actually know anything at all about the show?
I watched it a long time ago (German dub) as a kid but I don't remember that many story details or characters. And I actually didn't remember there was an important overreaching story-arc at all (at least that's what I'm taking away from the conversation so far)

To be frank, this looks like scum trying to divert attention away from scum.
What attention? Noone had gotten any attention so far. Is this also "Scum trying to divert attention from Scum"? :
Shit shit shit. I fucked up.... Darryl, gryvan, Blarg, help me.
This list talk doesn't lead anywhere. Darryl outright said it was an RNG list. We can WIFOM ourselves to death with this or we can just take it as what it is: Some kind of stupid joke with no indication of alignment.

Much more interesting right now is the Darryl/TWE situation. I'm interested in how this will develop.

Trigger

I'll answer the survey. It can't hurt.

Explain yourself a bit. You know, personality, play style, that kind of stuff.
Admittedly, I'm more of a reactionary player than an aggressive one. I don't post very frequently, but when I do I tend to favor larger posts. I like to address everything that I see, but stuff still slips past me.

Okay then. Next question. How do you want to approach this game?
We should definitely be pushing for people to post more substantive stuff. Stronger logic for why they want to vote for someone and being aggressive about role claims. If someone role claims, they should have a reason. Hopefully their claim is also believable.

Are you scum?
Nah.

What do you consider important in a game?
Players having fun. Ridiculous gambits, silly posts, etc etc are all part of the game.

Anything you would consider a scum tell?
If I see something specific in this game as a scum tell, I'll point it out. Right now I don't think it's wise to let a potential scum team know what I find suspicious.

Okay. Last question. How would you kill roy?

Boiled alive. Makes for a fine broth.

Trigger

VOTE: The WorthyEdge

A random role claim out of no where. I don't watch the show, so I'm not sure if lynch immunity is something Danny would have. I do know that I don't see any reason why a town player would make that claim.

Hello everyone! I usually start off posting kind of slowly at the beginning of a game as there are only gut reads to go on and I dislike gut reads, but as the game goes on and there is more info to analyze I should start posting more.

I've seen some of the show, but not a ton of it.

Vote: Blargonaut

Entertain me Blarg.

Ty4on

Actually take notes this time and use the W/W reasoning technique from Sorian's championship game to improve my scum hunting.
This caught my attention. I've also read the game though not much from D2 and D3 where most of the scum reading happened.

I totally agree on W/W (deducing whether two people could be scum on the same team from their interactions), but what do you think about their "read" lists? Unlike the ones in GAFia with a comment on every player they group them into town, null and scummy (and very scummy, town etc) which makes it really easy to go back and see someone's opinions and they're much more readable than standard read lists.

Okay, so you posted nonsense, now you don't follow up on it. Okay. That is bullshit.

Wow, what a meaningful post. You don't argue about the idea, you don't explain yourself, you just post nonsense.

VOTE: CornBurrito

Not my fault you can't read quotes broseph.

I'm the party starter and you might have a good time, but we party harder.

Okay then.
So?

Next question. How do you want to approach this game?
Tell the DJ to play my song, and we can dance all Night to the early Morning. O dance, an aphrodisiac; women gyrating, simulating sensual acts to stimulating musical tracks... I thought I was just going to come out Tonight and get a brew and relax, but, no.

Are you scum?
Uh-uh.

When you're the party starter, it's like you're on call. You're what the Doctor ordered.

It's like... you got to block the border to the door, and shock 'em when it's boring?

Get on the floor.

El Topo

You guys realize I wrote that "questionnaire" at 3am before going to bed and it wasn't meant as this super serious thing, right?

Also quit the dodging, Corn.

You guys realize I wrote that "questionnaire" at 3am before going to bed and it wasn't meant as this super serious thing, right?

I really don't know how I can make this clearer.

You posted
You know what I think would help? If all players tried to explain themselves a bit, i.e. how they want to approach the game, how they would describe their personality and play style, whether they are scum, what they consider important in a game, what they consider scum tells, how they would kill roy if they could. That might help us point out inconsistencies later, since on the first day we usually have nothing to work with.

But didn't actually lead by example. I got odd vibes from that.

Notably you posted the questionnaire after people told you "you first".

But you know, aside from the "are you scum" question, the list actually has some strategic merit.

I'll participate.

Wow, what a meaningful post. You don't argue about the idea, you don't explain yourself, you just post nonsense.

Why are you voting Corn for not taking your "not a super serious thing" seriously then?

Bear a grudge, they said

Remain after life, they said

Relish the haunt, they said

I could've been a poltergeist, I had dreams you know

Now I'm dead

and still there's paperwork

jeez

I think most people here have a good grasp of my play style, and personality. I like proposing big farfetched theories, but usually later on in the game. Sometimes they even turn out correct. I tend to post a lot, because conversation is key in catching scum.

The same as usual. Once D1 passes and we get some real information, I plan on grilling anyone who comes off as suspect to me.

Communication. That is how town wins. Silent town means an easy scum victory. Once scum has control of the day chat, they practically win.

Empty posting is something I consider to be a scum tell. But active posting can itself be a scum tell. Scum undoubtedly wants to control the day conversation. Depending on the scum team composition, at least one (possibly more) will be among the most active posters. The trick is figuring out the intentions of the conversation leaders.

ultron87

Suh dude.

Blood for the blood god, every time. I think we should blindly flail until we find something solid to go on. Is there any other way?

The vibes are telling me it's day one and nobody knows anything. I'm happy to vote for anybody not named Darryl or Blarg.

Yay! Thanks for answering the bonus questions. :p Questions are fun!

Unvote

My turn!

Typically, I'm pretty low key until something like happens and not the best at reads. Until there's a puzzle to figure out (ie some ridiculous claim or something) I tend to hang back.

How do you want to approach this game?

I'm gonna try and be more involved and push and question people directly more than I usually do. Get as much info out there so we can figure stuff out. It's kind of a busy time at work but I'll try and be around as much as I can.

Are you scum?

Nope!

Not having the thread stagnate, especially in the early days. Also it being fun and stuff.

Incomplete claims that slowly come together and dole out information.

How would you kill roy?

I'd throw Roy to the hoi polloi.

I'm generally very low activity, which tends to cause a lot of issues for me- especially early on in games. I frequently stew over my posts for a long time, and am usually not too quick to send a vote in someone's direction.

I want to get better at calling out things that bug me. I mentioned before that I tend to stew over my posts for a while: that's all well and good, but the length of time can get a bit out of hand, so I'd like to reign it in a little. I'd also like to post more in general. It's easily my biggest flaw.

Are you scum?

No way, José.

This shouldn't be a problem for most players, but don't take every claim at face value, because at some point you will get burned. Try to think of how much sense something makes, or how likely it is, before coming to a conclusion. When in doubt, keep doubting.

In my experiences, I've found that scum will often make some really weird decisions really early on. Sometimes it's easy to spot, and sometimes it's not. This behavior can range from scum very obviously trying to distance themselves from other players, making irrational decisions, and writing otherwise abnormal posts. I don't always trust simple "scum tells" (not that they haven't proven to be very valuable in the past), but I think there's always value in going back and reviewing previous days. I've found scum that way before, and I hope to do it again- sometimes the biggest scum tell is their play as a whole.

I have nothing against Roy. I would allow him to live
(unless there's something in it for me- I could think of something then)

El Topo

Thank you Corn. If I come off as aggressive, it's because, well, I've been pretty passive and useless in most games.

Why are you voting Corn for not taking your "not a super serious thing" seriously then?

The idea is serious, although anyone is free to point out problems with it, the questionnaire though is something I whipped up at 3am.

...hmm, tough crowd

well

They can't all be killers, you know

Not my fault we're already dead

ZtnNOuo.gif

btw

For you new players out there:

Remember kids, the only difference between the "hunted" and the "haunted" is the presence of old blood

And an "a"

get it?

It's a family joke

El Topo

Is this a threat from the scum team?

I'm town. That said, don't act like you would have anything to fear from scum.

CornBurrito -> C O R N B U R R I T O -> BORN RICO RUT

Rico Rut, coincidentally, a character that appears in episode 1x05 (1x08 in the original airing) of Danny Phantom as one of the bullies in school.

I'm town. That said, don't act like you would have anything to fear from scum.

Rico Rut, coincidentally, a character that appears in episode 1x05 (1x08 in the original airing) of Danny Phantom as one of the bullies in school.

2UvAY1y.gif

I'm back

Hi people, sorry if I'm slow to talk today since I'm in the process of moving but I'll toss inthe survey in the meantime.

I tend to answer people in chunks instead of one by one. And I don't vote with the rest of town if I don't agree with them. I also ponder waaaaay too much on what ends up being short posts.

Next question. How do you want to approach this game?

No mega-posts and trying to post more often.

Are you scum?
no.

I appreciate people not wasting power roles or aiding the mafia with them quite a bit.

In general, being scummy

Darryl

Banned
I'm glad at least some people are taking my questionnaire seriously and don't just leave out the roy part.

You have to be mafia. You are avoiding making a stance on me vs. TWE. I know TWE is lying. Why would a townie lie about being DP? He's scum. So scum team mate trying to avoid commenting and committing on the scenario + trying to de-escalate.

My scum list so far:

Ultron87
El Topo
TWE
StarSketch

You have to be mafia. You are avoiding making a stance on me vs. TWE. I know TWE is lying. Why would a townie lie about being DP? He's scum. So scum team mate trying to avoid commenting and committing on the scenario + trying to de-escalate

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't TWE scum in Phoenix Wright mafia? His behavior in that game (if I remember it correctly) wouldn't lead me to think he'd false claim DP as scum. More like... he claimed it because he isn't too sure how to play a PR?

Darryl

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't TWE scum in Phoenix Wright mafia? His behavior in that game (if I remember it correctly) wouldn't lead me to think he'd false claim DP as scum. More like... he claimed it because he isn't too sure how to play a PR?

you're sure trying to draw a lot from a little to give TWE a narrative

Was hoping he'd come back to clarify at some point, but yeah, claiming due to being unsure how to play it seems like a very unlikely scenario, and honestly feels like a weird thing to even suggest. And it's certainly much less likely than it being some sort of gambit or joke.

Do you have any thoughts of it right now?
Yes. And I won't share them so TWE (or Darryl) can't jump on it with a "Like Flush said"

This caught my attention. I've also read the game though not much from D2 and D3 where most of the scum reading happened.

I totally agree on W/W (deducing whether two people could be scum on the same team from their interactions), but what do you think about their "read" lists? Unlike the ones in GAFia with a comment on every player they group them into town, null and scummy (and very scummy, town etc) which makes it really easy to go back and see someone's opinions and they're much more readable than standard read lists.
We started doing Top-Town and Top-Scum lists in 3.5 I think. I don't think I ever did a standard readslist; they were always sorted by how scummy I thought they were (even with percentages in the beginning). So yeah, grouped lists are way betetr than "classic" readslists. W/W is difficult, as some of this interaction could be faked. But then again, you have to be really good to sell that... But I think our community is already kind of doing this, at least in retrospect, i.e. when we've already lynched a W and look back at the interactions.

Empty posting is something I consider to be a scum tell. But active posting can itself be a scum tell. Scum undoubtedly wants to control the day conversation. Depending on the scum team composition, at least one (possibly more) will be among the most active posters. The trick is figuring out the intentions of the conversation leaders.
I never believed in that. Statistically it's likely that one of the thought leaders is Scum, but if RNG says that the Scumteam consists of inactive and medium active players none of them suddenly will become a conversation leader. That's just not how it works.

I've been busy, sorry. I'm working on the questionnaire right now.
Don't make this thing more important than it is. Comments on what's actually happening (not that much I admit) are highly appreciated.

Thank you Corn. If I come off as aggressive, it's because, well, I've been pretty passive and useless in most games.

No further questions, your honor.

Top Bottom