• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Weather Effects in a Game

Hoo-doo

Banned
Yes, subpar.

The lighting is fine, but the clouds themselves lack definition and look like low res puffs of smoke in the air rather than clouds.

There's plenty of variation of real-world cloud types represented in Driveclub. The fuzzy puffs are one of them, there's well-defined 'sharper' clouds as well.

Don't act like the handful of shots you've shown represent the game in it's entirety. I take it you didn't actually look at the video.

rashbeep

Banned
There's plenty of variation of real-world cloud types represented in Driveclub. The fuzzy puffs are one of them, there's well-defined 'sharper' clouds as well.

Don't act like the handful of shots you've shown represent the game in it's entirety. I take it you didn't actually look at the video.

I have the game, so I have a good idea of what it looks like.

Caayn

I have the game, so I have a good idea of what it looks like.
Trust me. If there's one thing I learned on GAF is that Driveclub is utter perfection and you shall not dare to question anything it does. Don't ever interact with the next-gen racing thread for this exact reason.

dcx4610

It's old now but the rain and snow in the original EverQuest was amazing for its time. It was more about the atmosphere and sound than anything.

The thunder and the sound of the rain felt like real life and since it decreased visibility, it made you want to go inside a building or cave and wait it out. Great stuff.

Nick

I know the game is shit on around here, but Arkham Knight had some amazing rain and weather effects that took my breath away.

dr guildo

Sure, they look like low hanging clouds. Problem is they look that all the time.

Also, no need to keep linking that video I watched it when Hoo-doo posted it.

DC's clouds can have different shapes and they cast shadows, but it still look like real clouds to me, I will let people judge it :

drivec11.jpg

drivec12.jpg

drivec10.jpg

drivec10.png

drivec11.png

drivec13.jpg

drivec15.jpg

drivec14.jpg

drivec17.jpg

drivec19.jpg

drivec16.jpg

drivec20.jpg

drivec21.jpg

Chemist

Neo Member
It's probably already been said but Final Fantasy XIV has some pretty legit weather and storms. Best in an mmo in my opinion. Especially the thunder storms.

It's probably already been said but Final Fantasy XIV has some pretty legit weather and storms. Best in an mmo in my opinion. Especially the thunder storms.
yeah thunder at night in those.... elven area (forget the name or the 'realm' name) that one forest and its rainstorms were great.

coerthas was great, too... nice flurries and snowstorms.

i think my favorite effect in ff xiv was the heat wave in southern thanalan tho...
https://youtu.be/d9ldwQFh4Uw?t=103
https://youtu.be/QOwTsohnOuA?t=44
maybe hard to see (this is the zone with just regular sun) at 720p (what PS Share captures at) but it adds a nice blurry heat wave effect. simple, technically, but it's a real nice touch.
It's old now but the rain and snow in the original EverQuest was amazing for its time. It was more about the atmosphere and sound than anything.

The thunder and the sound of the rain felt like real life and since it decreased visibility, it made you want to go inside a building or cave and wait it out. Great stuff.
in general, I think MMOs are always great at weather because sort of design, they're about living in a world... whereas most games you maybe spend minutes, perhaps an hour, in an area before the next 'stage', in MMOs you often spend hours at a time -- maybe even days in one zone. so weather really fleshes out that sense of being there and brings it alive.

i remember even in DAOC or AO, the weather was one of the best parts... when it would snow in the Midgard Frontier, maaan I could scout and patrol those snowy forests for hours and not get bored -- just lost in the environment of the snowy mountain forest.

R00bot

DC's clouds can have different shapes and they cast shadows, but it still look like real clouds to me, I will let people judge it :

many images

They looks alright, but I can actually quite easily pick "jaggies" I guess, although the edges are smoothed a ton and blurred really well, they're still there to some degree. Very close though and I appreciate what they tried to pull off.

dr guildo

They looks alright, but I can actually quite easily pick "jaggies" I guess, although the edges are smoothed a ton and blurred really well, they're still there to some degree. Very close though and I appreciate what they tried to pull off.

The images have been resized and were turn from .png of 2 to 3mb into kb .jpeg.
I will post the 1080p original ones next time.

dr guildo

DC or best skies ever made in a game, very natural, so many different shapes for clouds, just unreal, add to this, rainbows, lightning, heathaze effect plus mirages, and we can close this thread :

All screenshots are from DUmb with his courtesy, thank you very much DUmb, amazing shots !
1467363792-driveclub-tm-20160531205631.png

1467363625-driveclub-tm-20160425195400.png

1467362584-driveclub-tm-20160411151932.png

1467362517-driveclub-tm-20160311122236.png

1467362562-driveclub-tm-20160312172525.png

1467362581-driveclub-tm-20160312110058.png

1467363760-driveclub-tm-20160531095255.png

1467363641-driveclub-tm-20160412205045.png

1467363681-driveclub-tm-20160618150345.png

1467363689-driveclub-tm-20160619144533.png

1467363713-driveclub-tm-20160503203112.png

This is only possible with volumetric clouds.

epmode

Could someone post a few decently sized pictures of Driveclub's clouds? The shots on this page are lacking.

Tyaren

Uncharted 4 has imho the best rain storm. It was the first time in a video game that I really thought: "Oh f***, the whole world is going to drown!"

27742131610_da1ec37967_o.png

27920122102_d5ae2fd9c5_o.png

Nate pathetically stumbling and tumbling across the place makes it even more realistic.

dr guildo

Could someone post a few decently sized pictures of Driveclub's clouds? The shots on this page are lacking.

Just learn to appreciate good things, no hate, just love.
Those screenshots are not ugly, so where is the problem ? Please, just appreciate the art and the composition... It's free of charge... :)

Top Bottom