• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best Weather Effects in a Game

Linconan

Ok, Getting back into Mad Max...
and i'm absolutely blown away by the effects of the Storms etc.

Edit: Better Quality
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8QtHnMQnJE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zeEQIXpElCA
(Storm starts around 50 secs)
Poor Chumbucket,lol

I shiver in fear when these approach. Total destroyers. LOL

Anyway, what would you guys rate as the best Weather effects in a game that you've experienced?
Your Top 3.

Mine would be:
A) MAD MAX
B) The Witcher
C) Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty

MGS2 would be my third because of the changing of times with graphics and because it was the first time ever seeing good weather graphics (on the Bridge, demo level) in a game.

bombshell

Driveclub and Uncharted 4 both have amazing rain weather effects.

Battlefield 1 looked to have very impressive rain and fog effects from the E3 multiplayer stream.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Really old example that has been surpassed with newer tech, but the opening storm/rain in Zelda: Link to the Past is so well done. Adds so much to the mood.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I tell you what, Battlefield 4 really brings the fuckin' weather in some of those maps. Like, WOW.

Honorable mention to Gears of War 3's Forces of Nature map pack.

2647005-4822724578-26466.gif

I always thought STALKER had great lightning effects.

Gloop

Red Dead Redemption had an amazing weather cycle.

GTA V also has some beautiful sunsets.

Driveclub for rain effects.

xion4360

Driveclub has THE BEST weather effects I have ever seen.. its not just snow and rain of varying intensity, both amazingly well done, but also lighting and thunder at a distance divorced from rain, heat haze, heat mirage, rainbows and all kinds of atmospheric effects like the full day/night cycle, clouds breaking up and god rays forming, aurora borealis and random stuff like meteors and the stars being real constellations.

IKizzLE

Drive Club by a country mile. Dynamic weather in a game that looked that good. It's realism was actually frightening.

I don't like the weather effects in Driveclub.

It's not that they aren't fantastic, it's more they don't give any control over wiper speed. There's no way you'd drive with your wipers running that slow in storm conditions. :)

The snow storms in Rise of the Tomb Raider are some of the best, the opening in particular

DetailedFearfulBangeltiger-size_restricted.gif

Special mention goes to Driveclub, the effects in that game are insane.

Gojeran

Drive club. The snow and rain effects are out of this world. It's mind blowing in person. Damn I need to play drive club now.

low-G

Definitely DriveClub.

Once I was driving under cloudy conditions, the dynamic cloud effects allowed for a hole in the clouds where a dynamic god ray effect shot down and illuminated a distant hill.

Seriously, DriveClub blows away the weather in every other game. Other devs need to step it up.

Forza 6 has the best rain/raindrop physics by a mile.

GTA 5 probably has the best in terms of cycling/blending, I don't think I've ever seen the same situation twice.

Top Bottom