• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
What? Sir the Mirari was changed into Memnarch.

Memnarch was killed and the mirrari recovered at the end of Fifth Dawn.

Karn shows up and says 'Slobad you have spark, wanna planeswalk?'

And Slobad was like 'Nah, use my spark to revive my friends'

And Karn says 'Ok, but now you have to handle the mirrari, peace'

I still have the books.

Supast4r

I just don't like that a deckbase like this is at a minimum reasonable:

4 Sylvan Advocate
4 Voltaic Brawler
3 Tireless Tracker
3 Verdurous Gearhulk
4 Chandra, Torch of Defiance
3 Nissa, Vital Force
4 Harnessed Lightning/Incendiary Flow/whatever

Like, those are just randomly good cards and don't take into account that there's plenty of ways to go with it beyond that, like going for more Energy with Harnessed Lightning or that 3 drop that makes 6/6s, or Duskwatch Recruiter/Lambholt Pacifice, or even fringey crap like Mina and Denn or Arlinn Kord or something.

I guess it just bugs me a little that Nissa and Chandra are just independently powerful cards that don't require you to build around them in any way. Chandra asks that you play red and Nissa asks that you play land in your deck.

Every good card shouldn't have to be a build around. Good stuff decks have been around since the dawn of magic. Junk got it's name for being a pile of good cards.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
No, there were multiple planeswalkers that sacrificed their spark as part of the mending. Teferi, Karn, Jeska, Bolas used someone elses spark, etc.

But, ya, his powerstone heart always had oil because it was stolen from phyrexians. His spark is Glacian's through Urza's eyes. Tho I have read contradictory commentary about whether Urza had his own spark or not. Regardless, said spark got sac'd during the mending.

The mirrari has not appeared since the end of Mirrodin proper. Slobad had it, and Slobad is now dead or something. The whereabouts of the Mirrari are unknown and will likely be a future plot device.

The Mending occurred on Dominaria. How would Karn lose his spark on Dominaria and then end up on Mirrodin? I don't think he ever gave up his spark. At least not that I've ever read.

Every good card shouldn't have to be a build around. Good stuff decks have been around since the dawn of magic. Junk got it's name for being a pile of good cards.

I mean, I think they probably should to some degree. At the very least the idea of "good in decks playing this color" seems to cut too wide a swath in my eyes.

The official explanation is that after Karn gave up his spark, his last bit of energy sent him to Mirrodin, where he was then unable to fight against the Phyrexians and got corrupted until Venser rekindled Karn's spark by sacrificing his own.

EDIT: His Planeswalker profile is vague about whether he lost his spark or not, but rather just refers to him losing his resistance to the Phyrexian oil, likely to reduce what has to be explained.

Magic Wikia says he gave up his spark, while MTG Salvation claims he didn't.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
The official explanation is that after Karn gave up his spark, his last bit of energy sent him to Mirrodin, where he was then unable to fight against the Phyrexians and got corrupted until Venser rekindled Karn's spark by sacrificing his own.

So basically its just a handwave in order to justify the entire Scars plot.

I think prefer modern stories about how Gideon Jura is canonically a perpetually shirtless hunk.

Supast4r

The Mending occurred on Dominaria. How would Karn lose his spark on Dominaria and then end up on Mirrodin? I don't think he ever gave up his spark. At least not that I've ever read.

I mean, I think they probably should to some degree. At the very least the idea of "good in decks playing this color" seems to cut too wide a swath in my eyes.

Why should they? Planeswalkers should be able to produce massive card adv and be problems for your opponents because they are dead if there are creatures on your board. Why should you have to jump through another hurdle when you have to clear the board of creatures to cast the planeswalkers safely.

Another wrinkle is that the official source of information for what happened to Karn in Scars of Mirrodin, Quest for Karn, is considered to not be a good book. Here's a review I found.

The only thing they seem to be concrete on, that hasn't been confirmed by a later official story like the one showing Elspeth coming to Theros, is that Venser gave up his spark to heal Karn, and that's only because MaRo keeps bringing it up.

I believe this is accurate, however I can quote myself for a better explanation:

I believe he had to sacrifice his spark to close a rift in Time Spiral. The oil was always in his heart/core, so when the spark was removed it started doing stuff. I think he could still planeswalk because he has weatherlight parts in him, he just lost the spark.

There's a lot of stuff that Wizards retconned about Karn. Or forgot about, however you want to put it. There's all kinds of Weatherlight functionality that Karn should still totally have, along with the minds of Urza, Gerard, and the sentient aspects of the Weatherlight. I'm still annoyed that this form never got an on card depiction:

ESCBGuT.png

That's what Karn looked like after Apacolypse and until New Phyrexia.

Angry Grimace

Another wrinkle is that the official source of information for what happened to Karn in Scars of Mirrodin, Quest for Karn, is considered to not be a good book. Here's a review I found.

The story actively gets retconned a lot too. I'm guessing we will have to wait until someone actually asks on a panel before a set or something because a lot of the stuff from the older books is pretty clearly non-canon these days.

I believe this is accurate, however I can quote myself for a better explanation:

There's a lot of stuff that Wizards retconned about Karn. Or forgot about, however you want to put it. There's all kinds of Weatherlight functionality that Karn should still totally have, along with the minds of Urza, Gerard, and the sentient aspects of the Weatherlight. I'm still annoyed that this form never got an on card depiction:

That's what Karn looked like after Apacolypse and until New Phyrexia.
Karn closed the time rift IIRC the one that came into existence during the experiment that sunk the tolarian academy and awoke teferi's spark.
The Planeswalker novels are all canonically in limbo. Purifying fire has been retconned a bunch test of Metal stuff we'll know more once more tezzeret story beats come in.

As a player that came in with Khans, I get very confused when people talk about the old story. Trying to research it on MTGS really didn't help much either lol

The story actively gets retconned a lot too. I'm guessing we will have to wait until someone actually asks on a panel before a set or something because a lot of the stuff from the older books is pretty clearly non-canon these days.

There pretty much is no canon for Scars and Innistrad blocks beyond the broad strokes of things. Scars has the terribad book that everyone ignores, and Innistrad had no books at all. That was basically the story low point for magic.

Generally, I think BFZ was a soft reboot, story wise. A lot of inconsistencies, character redos, and killing off of old plot points. Literally attempting to put a bow on the last 10 years of story so they can move forward without *too much* baggage. The only difference between the BFZ reboot and Time Spiral is they were less explicit about it.

Yeah, I mean, until Khans, basically, the actual story being "told" (i.e. written and very slightly edited in novels, comic books, etc.) had nothing to do with the broader needs of the creative team or the design goals of R&D, so they just retcon the heck out of it all the time. Most of the time it's either because they did something that was a huge obvious problem for a plane they have brand equity in (the retcons of Mirrodin and Ravnica's endings) or just something awful and dumb that they don't want anyone having to remember (the Scourge novel, Quest for Karn, by and large Test of Metal.)

Nowadays basically all the story content is in the website where the Creative team controls it and all the blocks are designed with creative concerns at the front of the list so for the most part that stuff won't happen anymore to at least recent details.

As a player that came in with Khans, I get very confused when people talk about the old story.

tl;dr take whatever a block seems to be about based on the cards, then assume it's something completely different and shittier than that, with some characters who never saw print that seem interesting but are badly written. That's 80% of it.

As a player that came in with Khans, I get very confused when people talk about the old story. Trying to research it on MTGS really didn't help much either lol

Don't worry too much. It's hard for us long time players to follow too at times because sources will keep contradicting each other on details. I mean, I suppose the Weatherlight Saga seems to have remained pretty static and clear...ish, as has a lot of the following pre-Time Spiral story.

Odyssey and onslaught is still the GOAT mtg saga. Relatively down to earth until Karona, used a ton of cards from the 2 blocks. Barely any Planeswalking great road trip through dominaria tons of great lore. No retcons I'm aware of.

Always wished the barbarians Kamahl and Jeskai came from had been more fleshed out.

Odyssey and onslaught is still the GOAT mtg saga. Relatively down to earth until Karona, used a ton of cards from the 2 blocks. Barely any Planeswalking great road trip through dominaria tons of great lore. No retcons I'm aware of.

Always wished the barbarians Kamahl and Jeskai came from had been more fleshed out.

I'm convinced that no one remembered/bothered to notify Creative that Jeska had existed when they named the clan Jeskai.

Ashodin

I'm convinced that no one remembered/bothered to notify Creative that Jeska had existed when they named the clan Jeskai.

Possible she could have been to Tarkir after Karn left with her (but before she sac'd herself to the mending)

Always wished the barbarians Kamahl and Jeska came from had been more fleshed out.

my man. No other block felt so cool and down to earth

Possible she could have been to Tarkir after Karn left with her (but before she sac'd herself to the mending)

Nope. They were still Jeskai in Fate Reforged, which is well before Jeska was even born even if it doesn't make sense because that would put it pre-Mending and how does that even work and I hate time travel.

Angry Grimace

Yeah, I mean, until Khans, basically, the actual story being "told" (i.e. written and very slightly edited in novels, comic books, etc.) had nothing to do with the broader needs of the creative team or the design goals of R&D, so they just retcon the heck out of it all the time. Most of the time it's either because they did something that was a huge obvious problem for a plane they have brand equity in (the retcons of Mirrodin and Ravnica's endings) or just something awful and dumb that they don't want anyone having to remember (the Scourge novel, Quest for Karn, by and large Test of Metal.)

Nowadays basically all the story content is in the website where the Creative team controls it and all the blocks are designed with creative concerns at the front of the list so for the most part that stuff won't happen anymore to at least recent details.

tl;dr take whatever a block seems to be about based on the cards, then assume it's something completely different and shittier than that, with some characters who never saw print that seem interesting but are badly written. That's 80% of it.
I take it you're saying the sex scene between Phage and the Cabal Patriarch is now non-canon.

jph139

The only truly good bit of Magic writing is Love Song of Night and Day. That being said, it's actually an incredibly beautiful piece of poetry beyond the context of "flavor text for cardboard" and I'd call it one of my favorite poems ever, so when they got it right, they got it VERY right.

noquarter

So don't know if it has happened, but really I think Energy is going to be used as a way to get a card or cards into play that can remove counters from players, kind of a backdoor to getting more Infect hate out. Maybe a one drop artifact that removes all counters from target player or something.

So don't know if it has happened, but really I think Energy is going to be used as a way to get a card or cards into play that can remove counters from players, kind of a backdoor to getting more Infect hate out. Maybe a one drop artifact that removes all counters from target player or something.

I suspect that Aether Revolt will have cards that allow you to steal energy counters from another player, which perhaps can be extended to "remove counters from target player, you gain that many" (though unlikely due to wordiness), but I don't think they'll outright give a way to remove poison counters.

bigkrev

So I've been looking to massively downsize my collection (basically get rid of everything except modern), so I decided to finally start a spreadsheet of my collection

Found out that Quiet Speculation has webcam software that you stick a card under your camera, it IDs the card and the edition (for stuff like M11 and M12 you have to tell it which one it is) and then uploads it to their website. Hong worked like a dream- of the 1500 cards I scanned tonight, the only issue it had was with promo cards- it recognized FNM foils but not much else. There website also tracks buy lists for you, so you can click a button and it divvies it up to several websites, and can even make a "cart" on Cardkingdom to make it even easier.

Basically. This is he best $10 I ever spent.

duxstar

So i was just watching a pro streamers stream that said Nissa is the worst planeswalker in standard.

Worse than Kiora, Arlin Kord, and Saheeli Rai.

Thoughts ? She protects herself, Eternal Witnesses something and more importantly ultimates after one turn to draw you cards in the lategame.

Thats a really good magic card in my opinion and even fulfills the "protects herself" clause.

Am I just way off base with her ? I would easily play 2 - 3 in most decks (dont know exactly what deck yet).

I dont see how she doesnt just slot into green midrange/control decks

ElyrionX

So I've been looking to massively downsize my collection (basically get rid of everything except modern), so I decided to finally start a spreadsheet of my collection

Found out that Quiet Speculation has webcam software that you stick a card under your camera, it IDs the card and the edition (for stuff like M11 and M12 you have to tell it which one it is) and then uploads it to their website. Hong worked like a dream- of the 1500 cards I scanned tonight, the only issue it had was with promo cards- it recognized FNM foils but not much else. There website also tracks buy lists for you, so you can click a button and it divvies it up to several websites, and can even make a "cart" on Cardkingdom to make it even easier.

Basically. This is he best $10 I ever spent.

Decked Builder does the same thing but also allows you to manage your deck lists at the same time.

Yeef

So i was just watching a pro streamers stream that said Nissa is the worst planeswalker in standard.

Thoughts ? She protects herself, Eternal Witnesses something and more importantly ultimates after one turn to draw you cards in the lategame.

Thats a really good magic card in my opinion and even fulfills the "protects herself" clause.

Am I just way off base with her ? I would easily play 2 - 3 in most decks (dont know exactly what deck yet).

My gut says that she'll work best in a control shell. Her first ability protects her and closes out the game fairly quickly on an empty board. Her second ability is good at rebuying board wipes and other premium removal. Her ultimate makes it hard for creature-based decks to outpace your 1-for-1 removal.

What remains to be seen is if we get any new solid board wipes or if it's just Planar Outburst and Descend Upon the Sinful.

red13th

My gut says that she'll work best in a control shell. Her first ability protects her and closes out the game fairly quickly on an empty board. Her second ability is good at rebuying board wipes and other premium removal. Her ultimate makes it hard for creature-based decks to outpace your 1-for-1 removal.

What remains to be seen is if we get any new solid board wipes or if it's just Planar Outburst and Descend Upon the Sinful.

New Nissa can only return permanents, and that is kind of a bummer. It cannot rebuy board wipes unfortunately.

paradoxicaloutcome.jpg

Save your stuff or rebuy ETB effects during your opponent's turn, and draw a bunch of cards!

Also, flavor text basically confirms shenanigans will happen. I don't think there would be room for a big Phyrexian presence in the next set, but I could imagine maybe a mythic rare Horror that removes all +1/+1 counters or something, as a story card.

Ozigizo

Same pros that kept saying Liliana was trash?

I don't form opinions on these sorts of things until I have it in my hands.

paradoxicaloutcome.jpg

Save your stuff or rebuy ETB effects during your opponent's turn, and draw a bunch of cards!

Also, flavor text basically confirms shenanigans will happen. I don't think there would be room for a big Phyrexian presence in the next set, but I could imagine maybe a mythic rare Horror that removes all +1/+1 counters or something, as a story card.

Pretty much all portals in the Mtg universe summon phyrexians.

Wulfric

Don't see this posted, but there are some new legendary creatures on the lore website.

Found this character interesting:
Oviya believes beauty should be at the heart of every invention. An acclaimed lifecrafter, she spent many years mentoring young artificers. But when she lost her wife, she took to working on her own designs in secret. She hired smugglers, including the Nalaars, to supply her with aether for her ingenious creations.

She sounds like an wise oracle who might help Chandra and mom against the coalition. And hooray for LGBTQA representation! :D

k08QCZ2.jpg

bigkrev

Saw this on Twitter:
CrtX1lPUMAEq-i3.jpg

I guess "The Forever Serpent" is the new nickname for Bolas. It's slightly better than "Lunatic Fringe", but god I hope they don't shove this down our throats

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom