• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Pay 2 mana, discard 2 cards, return it to your hand.

Even if it's Remanded, the situations seem like a win/win more for dredge.

It is not. That is still a blowout. I have played the deck enough to say that no, you very rarely just want to discard and get nothing.

jph139

I'm actually really super on board with Kaladesh so far. It's not quite the flavor home run of Innistrad, but there's a lot of cards I'm interested in on an individual basis and I'm enthusiastic about the limited prospects. Won't be able to make a full judgement until I start playing, though.

But I pretty much just play draft and shitty EDH, so I feel like it's the sort of set that really plays to my tastes.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
What? You want your dredgers in your graveyard.
I'm not saying its not more upside for you than say, playing this spell in another deck and getting it Remanded. But just straight discard isn't actually what you want - you want your dredge cards in the graveyard and you want a way to dredge them. Maybe the upside of three draws vs. two is enough to get it over the hump. I'm just explaining why I don't think Voice was a staple in the deck to begin with.

I dunno though, I stopped playing it because I didn't like playing a deck that instantly loses to Leyline of the Void.

Man there's some serious shade being thrown on twitter over worlds

8RzGXss.jpg

Angry Grimace

Paulo being too tone-deaf to realize he's making a completely semantic argument that makes him look like an asshole because no one wants to derail their conversation to argue semantics. Besides, BBD's argument has some merit anyways - he's saying that the performance of the "special invites" shows that basing invites purely on Pro Points isn't necessarily the be-all end-all of ensuring that Worlds players are the absolute best pool of players.

Getting into the tournament the way BBD did isn't any more arbitrary than just selecting everyone on pro points is.

I swear LSV is the only pro player willing to acknowledge the role that luck plays in being successful at Magic.

EDIT: Also everyone bitching fails to recognize that literally every sport works this way. The first player/team left out is almost always "better" than the last player/team to make it in.

EDIT2: Also fuck everybody trying to take something away from what BBD accomplished.

Joe Molotov

This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain and a hundred percent reason to remember to name the right card with Pithing Needle.

bigkrev

Oh good its still going on.

If I were I'm control Worlds would be the defending champ, the PT winners, the top player I'm each major region, and then just all at-large bids. It makes the event an easier sell- instead of saying "this player qualified because of his record in limited matches" or" he qualified because he had a strong start to the season" you can just say "he qualified because he was one of the 25 best players this year"

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I've gotta say, as a spectator and a casual player, BBD winning the WC had me way more excited/interested in competitive M:tG than I would have been if one of the more established pros had won.

As much as some of the pros want to protect the sanctity of pro magic, and justify the time/effort/luck that's gotten them so far, M:tG is a product and its goal is to make money. Underdog stories are terrific for drumming up interest in casual players (who make up the overwhelming majority of M:tG players), which in turn leverages them into more invested players. It's no different than a wild card team going on cinderella run during the playoffs.

Also, the cognitive dissonance on display here is astounding. "You just got lucky to win these matches of Magic, and you're clearly less deserving to be here than the people who won a different set of matches of Magic where luck obviously had less to do with it."

Also, being a pro Magic player is a negative-EV decision in the first place - maybe that's why so many of them are so salty all the time?

Just bought four LotV (MTGO) on my lunch break, only to have her drop in price another five dollars in the last couple of hours. That's $20 I could have saved... ;_;

Angry Grimace

Yeah getting anywhere in Magic requires a mixture of skill and luck.

BBD earned his win. Suck it haters.

It's double stupid because Stark is pretending for the sake of argument that being invited in one way vs. another is somehow inherently more justifiable. I mean, Pro Tours give standing invites to players based on extreme past performance in terms of the Hall of Fame.

Angry Grimace

This is ten percent luck, twenty percent skill, fifteen percent concentrated power of will, five percent pleasure, fifty percent pain and a hundred percent reason to remember to name the right card with Pithing Needle.

goddamn it you got me LOL

A significant amount of pros are highly invested in keeping their little boys club as exclusive as possible. It's the same mentality that led Efro to write his asinine article from a while ago where he lambasted some poor soul who wanted to actually play Magic and wouldn't arbitrarily concede to him.

kirblar

Did I miss what kicked this whole thing off or something? I thought they automatically invited last year's winner. Did that change?
Capcom Cup dropped the slot as well. The issue is basically that they don't want someone getting invivted after taking the year off doing Hearthstone.

y2dvd

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216913369]Darksiders art aside, this thing is probably gonna see Standard play. Hordeling Outburst is the real deal.[/QUOTE]

Hordeling Outburt had Evoke and Rabblemaster to go along with it. I don't think I've seen anything at that power level with this yet.

Just bought four LotV (MTGO) on my lunch break, only to have her drop in price another five dollars in the last couple of hours. That's $20 I could have saved... ;_;

Good news, if you haven't received your cards yet, you can cancel your order and then purchase them again at the lower price. Sweet!

I think I'm going to move into Punishing Jund for Legacy, simply because I have most of the cards anyway.

Do any of you play Vintage on MTGO or have any interest?

bigkrev

reigning champ should be re-invited.

The argument against it is that in sports, the defending champion doesn't get an automatic chance. The most direct example is the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament, where Connecticut won in 2014 and did not qualify the following year.

alternade

Remember when Maro was hyping this up as "the awesome set"? I mean it seems OK. But nothing has really grabbed me.

For commander, it seems 9/10. Constructed, 7/10 and limited 7/10 for now. I'm just curious how blown out im gonna get with drafting the Vehicle deck and they kill my creatures in response.

Having the Masterpieces in here will make everything else drop like a rock.

Ashodin

Foundry Inspector. What.

List of Equipment that become 0 with it:

Inventor's Goggles
Neglected Heirloom
Stoneforge Masterwork
Skeleton Key
Stitcher's Graft

Other notable artifacts become cheaper:

Corrupted Grafstone becomes a 1 mana mana rock

I just read this week's magic story. Kinda weird that chandra and nissa didn't protest more when lili said they had to leave chandra's mom. As far as they were concerned, it's the three amigas with space-time magic and near omnipotent control over their surroundings vs a few dudes wearing brass. Any one of the three would have been enough to wipe out the army alone as far as they knew.

Daedardus

The art is pretty good and the designs are consistent. There might not be a lot of 'ooh, super broken stuff', but it feels like this set is well put together, especially in the common/uncommon range. It will mostly depend on how fun it is to draft.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Flavor text like this makes me wish we got more fantasy/steampunk/whatever that was actually interested in exploring the socioeconomic implications of industrialization powered by magic. Mass production of what? For whom? Consumer goods? Does Kaladesh have a consumer class that can purchase high-volume manufactured goods? How would such a class arise, based on what we've seen of Kaladesh? The manufacturing sector is all constructs, and you can only support so many artisans.
Is it all military equipment? To power a totalitarian state, or to fight some enemy?

kirblar

Flavor text like this makes me wish we got more fantasy/steampunk/whatever that was actually interested in exploring the socioeconomic implications of industrialization powered by magic. Mass production of what? For whom? Consumer goods? Does Kaladesh have a consumer class that can purchase high-volume manufactured goods? Is it all military equipment? To power a totalitarian state, or to fight some enemy?
uhhhhhh did you miss the second set.

Ashodin

Flavor text like this makes me wish we got more fantasy/steampunk/whatever that was actually interested in exploring the socioeconomic implications of industrialization powered by magic. Mass production of what? For whom? Consumer goods? Does Kaladesh have a consumer class that can purchase high-volume manufactured goods? Where do they get their money, if they're not factory workers because all the factory workers are constructs?
Is it all military equipment? To power a totalitarian state, or to fight some enemy?

We know from the story that the Consulate is powering weapons research with the Fair instead of neat toys

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
uhhhhhh did you miss the second set.

We know from the story that the Consulate is powering weapons research with the Fair instead of neat toys

Right, sorry, I shouldn't say that I don't think the story has this on its mind, but I do hope we get more of it. I want to know what's going on outside Ghirapur, and what the bigger picture for the Consul is besides just "we have constructs that monitor the streets of the big important city"

For commander, it seems 9/10. Constructed, 7/10 and limited 7/10 for now. I'm just curious how blown out im gonna get with drafting the Vehicle deck and they kill my creatures in response.

Having the Masterpieces in here will make everything else drop like a rock.
only because of the masterpieces. From the new cards there's
  • a ton of energy that won't make up enough for a dedicated deck yet
  • a legendary that both lacks the sufficient tribe and vehicle support
  • another UG value legendary
  • an artifact that raised immediate cries for bans, which I don't think will be so bad but still might warp the format a bit
  • an artifact legendary that should have been UR
  • a bad angel
  • 2 lacklustre PWs
  • 2 potentially great PWs
  • boring Gearhulk cycle
  • awesome 2nd massacre wurm
  • another doubling value card, really MaRo activated, triggered, tokens, counters, PW ability and a dozen mana wasn't enough?
  • 2 legendaries that straight up feel like worse versions of existing cards
  • a colourless inferno titan, really excited for that one actually
I'd give it between a 7 and an 8 out of 10 depending on how some of the cards parse out.

Still much better than recent sets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom