• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santiako

Mirrodin block equipment was very poorly balanced, you also had Viridian longbow and Leonin bola at common, and both won games by themselves.

I dont think R&D know how to handle red. Sounds like a bullshit excuse with the current state of green.

It seems fairly obvious to me that red was toned down in preparation for making a couple nuts cards for it. Green seems like the thing they don't know what to do with and are making mistakes with. Collected Company is clearly not something they planned for, but Collected Company will also never be in a Kaladesh context.

Firemind

en_bbmFaCtPIH.png

Artifact green is so weird.
it's literally rhys but worse

It seems fairly obvious to me that red was toned down in preparation for making a couple nuts cards for it. Green seems like the thing they don't know what to do with and are making mistakes with. Collected Company is clearly not something they planned for, but Collected Company will also never be in a Kaladesh context.
they wanted to increase green's power level for literally a decade.

bigkrev

I dont think R&D know how to handle red. Sounds like a bullshit excuse with the current state of green.

They are trying a bunch of new things, but the problem is they are also taking away the one thing the color was actually good at (burn) at the same time, which ends up making Red just unplayable as they experiment with new things.

This might be my favorite card in the set so far. It's the real deal. I doubt there's a Sphinx's Rev-level control deck in the format, but this thing also enables insane turbo-delirium decks because you'll never deck yourself and you can put back all the cards you want to draw while leaving yourself as many card types as you want.

en_bbmFaCtPIH.png

Artifact green is so weird.

Eh, I mean, it makes artifacts technically but it's kind of more of a creatures-matter card when you get down to it?

it's super restrictive since you need to pay mana to cast one spell to potentially pay mana to cast another spell or whiff. i'd rather have reverse looting.

It's not like this is the only card they can print with the mechanic.

Even direct damage is getting a nerf now that it mostly can't go to the face. More and more it feels like they have no idea what to do with red.

Still think it's weird how everyone's acting like burn that only targets players OR creatures is this new thing.

OnPoint

Still think it's weird how everyone's acting like burn that only targets players OR creatures is this new thing.

It's definitely not a new thing. Spitting Earth, Flame Slash, Harvest Pyre, etc. What's new, or at least notable, is the absolute dearth of burn that hits the face.

bigkrev

Since 10th Edition, Instant speed 3 damage to anything has existed at 1R (Incinerate, Searing Spear, Lightning Strike) or R (Lightning Bolt) at all times in Standard. There were usually other burn spells around it as well- slightly more expensive cards that did more damage (Char, Flame Javelin, Stoke The Flames), a 1 mana instant that could hit anything (Shock, Galvanic Blast, Wild Slash), and you would get the cards that only did damage to creatures or players but were either very good rates (1 mana for 4 damage) or had additional upsides (Flame Slash, Flames of the Firehand, Skullcrack).

Now, our default is 2 damage to a creature only for 1 mana (with slight upside), 3 damage to anything for 2 mana but at Sorcery speed, the good 3 mana burn spell is sorcery speed (Exquisite Firecraft).

Burn is absurdly worse than it was even a few years ago, which has led to red basically being unplayable

Violet_0

Banned
are there any signs of red moving away from the 'I end this on turn 3 to your face"-burn towards substained damage engines, like once per turn damage effects or spell copy permanents? Those things are still uniquely R and RU, well maybe stepping a bit into B territory there

Ashodin

That flame gauntlet is neat in flavor but terrible execution.

Just +2/+0? Please.

There's no rare equip spoiled yet, so here's hoping they're hiding it until Friday.

Unless aether revolt is the equip set.

"Equip your troops for the revolt!"

When Amonkhet comes it'll be too late for stone haven outfitter to shine!

They really must've veered away from equipment to want to differentiate from Mirrodin. Which is a downer. I love the set already for vehicles, but I was hoping for some love here.

Magic Story - Renegade Prime
* Flashback. While Pia was in prison, the officer in charge of her capture, Baral, claims that he killed Chandra and taunts her with it along with Kiran's real death.
* She hits him through the bars, knocking off a mask Baral was wearing. In response, blue flames appear around him, revealing that he's a mage, and that his face was burned by Chandra.
* Back to more recent history. In the passing years, after she escaped jail, she gathered inventors who were protesting the Consul's increasingly tight grip, eventually forming the Renegades.
* Earlier in the present day, she helps a young renegade, Tamni, with a thopter she messed up on.
* One renegade is a former high-ranking Consulate guard, Venkat.
* During her speech to the group, Pia notes that over the years, they've been seeing more and more of the Fair taken up by weapons and security devices, with the Consul as patrons. She goes on to note particular instances of the Consul taking foundries, shutting down power for city blocks, etc.
* Their demonstration simply involves doing a harmless but unlicensed display with thopters, which causes guard automatons to gather, and then using aether from the thopters to overload and shut down the automatons. Then leaving the renegade symbol as graffiti.
* OK, it looks like there are some inconsistencies with the previous story. First, the previous story implied that the demonstration was far more chaotic than that. Second, she meets Tezzeret in a different way than the previous story, even if the dialogue is the same.
* Oh, and Nissa and Baan turned out to coincidentally be right there too, ever increasing the unlikelihood of this encounter. Plus, I'm really surprised we didn't get a story about their arrival.
* Baan orders Gearhulks to attack Chandra, and she destroys them fairly easily. Unless gearhulks are also used to refer to much smaller machines, they're making a smaller deal out of this then you'd think.
* As more and more soldiers surround Chandra, Pia surrenders. Liliana tells Chandra to give up and run away.
* Chandra, Liliana, and Nissa escape. Liliana notes that Tezzeret is dangerous. Him cutting Jace's back with a mana blade is one thing we know is canon from that Tezzeret book of ambiguous canon.
* Nissa asks why they left without saying anything, Liliana says she doesn't ask permission or forgiveness.
* Nissa thinks Liliana has been provoking Chandra to act this way and calls her a monster. Liliana is annoyed but she needs the Gatewatch, and thus won't attack Nissa. Instead, she points out that Chandra was running from her (Nissa) in the first place.
* Liliana leaves to go on a walk, and Oviya Pashiri appears to talk to Chandra. I had forgotten, but she appeared in Chandra's origin story.

It's so weird how there are inconsistencies between this and the previous story, when Doug Beyer wrote both of them.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Jace, for an entire set "Gee what is this eldritch power that is warping this plane and causing people to grow purple and pink tentacles? I must spend so much time INVESTIGATING this MYSTERY"

Chandra, on Kaladesh for five minutes "MOM! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD FOR YEARS! Maybe I should have visite-"

Ashodin

Story Card #2.

Hope Chandra'a mom doesn't die. Fictional living parents (especially single mothers) are rarer than they should be.
Natch. Character development. It's the only thing parents are good for in fantasy fiction.

It's funny how your description matches what the colors would do to the lore. Blue is slow and plodding, and red is quick and speedy.

Jace, for an entire set "Gee what is this eldritch power that is warping this plane and causing people to grow purple and pink tentacles? I must spend so much time INVESTIGATING this MYSTERY"

Chandra, on Kaladesh for five minutes "MOM! I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD FOR YEARS! Maybe I should have visite-"

I mean, has anyone ever actually claimed that Jace was a good detective? I mean, at least outside of situations where the case can be solved by just reading someone's mind?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I literally think she's your favorite because she's written like a IDGAF character

Like the best characters are those kind because they act like real people.

Real people dont act like any of the cardboard cutouts on the gatewatch.

Toxi

Banned
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";216887881]Close to a 2 mana version of a 3 mana card that was restricted in vintage in a standard format with madness cards.[/QUOTE]
Which 3 mana card are you talking about?

Supast4r

Magic Story - Renegade Prime
* Flashback. While Pia was in prison, the officer in charge of her capture, Baral, claims that he killed Chandra and taunts her with it along with Kiran's real death.
* She hits him through the bars, knocking off a mask Baral was wearing. In response, blue flames appear around him, revealing that he's a mage, and that his face was burned by Chandra.
* Back to more recent history. In the passing years, after she escaped jail, she gathered inventors who were protesting the Consul's increasingly tight grip, eventually forming the Renegades.
* Earlier in the present day, she helps a young renegade, Tamni, with a thopter she messed up on.
* One renegade is a former high-ranking Consulate guard, Venkat.
* During her speech to the group, Pia notes that over the years, they've been seeing more and more of the Fair taken up by weapons and security devices, with the Consul as patrons. She goes on to note particular instances of the Consul taking foundries, shutting down power for city blocks, etc.
* Their demonstration simply involves doing a harmless but unlicensed display with thopters, which causes guard automatons to gather, and then using aether from the thopters to overload and shut down the automatons. Then leaving the renegade symbol as graffiti.
* OK, it looks like there are some inconsistencies with the previous story. First, the previous story implied that the demonstration was far more chaotic than that. Second, she meets Tezzeret in a different way than the previous story, even if the dialogue is the same.
* Oh, and Nissa and Baan turned out to coincidentally be right there too, ever increasing the unlikelihood of this encounter. Plus, I'm really surprised we didn't get a story about their arrival.
* Baan orders Gearhulks to attack Chandra, and she destroys them fairly easily. Unless gearhulks are also used to refer to much smaller machines, they're making a smaller deal out of this then you'd think.
* As more and more soldiers surround Chandra, Pia surrenders. Liliana tells Chandra to give up and run away.
* Chandra, Liliana, and Nissa escape. Liliana notes that Tezzeret is dangerous. Him cutting Jace's back with a mana blade is one thing we know is canon from that Tezzeret book of ambiguous canon.
* Nissa asks why they left without saying anything, Liliana says she doesn't ask permission or forgiveness.
* Nissa thinks Liliana has been provoking Chandra to act this way and calls her a monster. Liliana is annoyed but she needs the Gatewatch, and thus won't attack Nissa. Instead, she points out that Chandra was running from her (Nissa) in the first place.
* Liliana leaves to go on a walk, and Oviya Pashiri appears to talk to Chandra. I had forgotten, but she appeared in Chandra's origin story.

It's so weird how there are inconsistencies between this and the previous story, when Doug Beyer wrote both of them.

Chandra cast smelt and destroyed the artifacts. I find it super funny why Liliana is afraid of Tezzeret. Jace/Liliana can't destroy artifacts because it's not in their colors. Chandra/Nissa would decimate whatever Tezzeret throws at them. Do we really need a story about two planeswalkers planeswalking to get there? How is it surprising that Bann is next to tezzeret when they work together? I'll give you the fact that on how they met Tezzeret was different but that's not really that important.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom