• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Ajani bursting out into the open with that card is perfect flavor imo

Also who the hell asked the cat to come from Theros? Whu?

Daedardus

All this art, I'm just buying a box for the pretty pictures. Getting some serious Skyward Sword vibes from the white instant.

Weird that they depict whale hunting though. Guess skywhales aren't an endangered species.

Firemind

I find them pretty boring tbh

now these are whales

Image.ashx
Image.ashx

Colossal-Whale.jpg

Santiako

I can already see Ajani's card:

Ajani, Ally of Amonkhet 2WW
Planeswalker — Ajani
+1: Until end of turn, Ajani, Ally of Amonkhet becomes a 3/3 Cat Ally creature with indestructible that's still a planeswalker. Prevent some damage that would be dealt to him this turn.
0: Put a 1/1 white Cat creature token onto the battlefield.
−4: You get an emblem with "Creatures you control get +1/+0."
Loyalty: 3

bigkrev

It's weird that they're both in standard.

Throttle and Flaten were in the same block and are the same card, just different costs. For commons, it's all about how they are in the context of limited. There were larger creatures at common in BFZ, thus the removal was a bit better.

These cards aren't meant to be constructed playable

Drafted Eldritch Moon today. My mate pulled Tamiyo and Gisela in packs 1 & 2. I was durdling away, drafting a White/Green recursion deck when I opened pack three...

Commence mad scramble to grab as many good black cards as I could on the last pack.

Hero

Forked Bolt at instant speed but at one colorless more? Couldn't they have added some energy generation onto it?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Throttle and Flaten were in the same block and are the same card, just different costs. For commons, it's all about how they are in the context of limited. There were larger creatures at common in BFZ, thus the removal was a bit better.

These cards aren't meant to be constructed playable

Yeah, but this one is straight up strictly worse than Gideon's Reproach, which is just kind of weird.

With Ajani being on the art, I have to wonder if this means that we're getting a Tamiyo, Field Researcher Esque Ajani in the next set. Naya Ajani where he joins the Gatewatch as their mentor or something.

With Ajani being on the art, I have to wonder if this means that we're getting a Tamiyo, Field Researcher Esque Ajani in the next set. Naya Ajani where he joins the Gatewatch as their mentor or something.

I think it's much more likely that AER just has Tezzeret and Ajani is our setup for Amonkhet where he gets a card, but it's not impossible.

Yeef

Kind of like a colorless Ghoultree. It's a cool design, but I don't know how much play it will see. It's just a big beater with no evasion or other abilities.

[EDIT] Somehow, i missed the second ability. That makes things a lot more interesting.

I think it's much more likely that AER just has Tezzeret and Ajani is our setup for Amonkhet where he gets a card, but it's not impossible.

I'd agree, but the fact that this plot point( Ajani's not on Theros anymore) Is part of this set and not AER makes me feel like he's going to be in AER. When was the last time that a Planeswalker not in main focus of the story appeared in art for the set but not in the block? Only one I can think of is Ugin in BFZ, where he had been printed the block before and Bolas in FRF, but both of those are built around R&D's decisions for the world.

I'd agree, but the fact that this plot point( Ajani's not on Theros anymore) Is part of this set and not AER makes me feel like he's going to be in AER. When was the last time that a Planeswalker not in main focus of the story appeared in art for the set but not in the block? Only one I can think of is Ugin in BFZ, where he had been printed the block before and Bolas in FRF, but both of those are built around R&D's decisions for the world.

oath of jace

OnPoint

Jace is a main part of OGW's story though, it's not like Ugin where he shows up for Maximum 10 cards worth of art/flavor text, Jace only didn't get a card because he was the face of the next set. Considering how they've said "Ajani doesn't relate well to players", he's not going to be the face of Amonkhet.

But he could be the face of the second set. They eventually have to highlight someone who isn't a member of the Origins 5, and if/when he joins the Gatewatch then he needs to be given his time in the spotlight. What better way than in a second set, which traditionally doesn't sell as well as the first set in a block anyway?

Man, cockatrice is just a godsend for someone like me who likes to brew up a ton of decks. I used to proxy playtest in paper and it took forever. The last year or so of testing on cockatrice has been so much smoother. The general constructed community is abysmal, but you get enough bodies with stock lists that it's hard to complain. Can't beat the price.

I keep a running list of all my favorite builds. Anytime I lose interest or think a deck isn't cutting it or a format is rotating I delete it and move on to the next thing.

What I've been playing lately:
kjhlkjj8kta.png

Considering how they've said "Ajani doesn't relate well to players"

This is pretty majorly overstating it. They've said he was the least popular of the Lorwyn 5 and that they see less humanoid characters being related to less well, but nothing suggesting he's so unpopular they need to bury any sight of him.

Anyway, after Kaladesh they'll have done a full circuit of the Gatewatch as face characters and they're clearly going to have a non-Gatewatch character as the face of AER so I don't think it's particularly implausible. (It might just be Bolas tho.)

OnPoint

This is pretty majorly overstating it. They've said he was the least popular of the Lorwyn 5 and that they see less humanoid characters being related to less well, but nothing suggesting he's so unpopular they need to bury any sight of him.

Anyway, after Kaladesh they'll have done a full circuit of the Gatewatch as face characters and they're clearly going to have a non-Gatewatch character as the face of AER so I don't think it's particularly implausible. (It might just be Bolas tho.)

I could see Bolas as the face of the next block, first set. They tried to do it with M13 to no great effect. I also wouldn't be shocked if Garruk showed up at some point and was the "face" of a block as well.

Ashodin

I think I'll make a prediction and say that Bolas is the ONLY planeswalker in Amonkhet, to show the plane before anyone gets there and starts some shit.

OnPoint

I think I'll make a prediction and say that Bolas is the ONLY planeswalker in Amonkhet, to show the plane before anyone gets there and starts some shit.

I'd love if they did a new Bolas in set 1, and had something like the four horsemen as his planeswalker lackies in set 2 (though I could be equating ancient Egyptian setting to Marvel's Apocalypse here, so maybe I'm reaching (also, they wouldn't have no Gatewatch representation, especially with Ajani coming to set this up)).

Kaladesh doesn't have a blue/red legendary creature that cares about artifacts
donated-warroir-9 asked: I really hope that kaladesh doesn't become like innistrad and get everything pretty close to perfect except for forgetting the glaringly obvious card. Please don't let the R/U artifact matters legend become the new legendary werewolf.

Kaladesh is not a gold set which means there are limited slots for multicolor cards. We have a Blue/Red character who is focused on artifacts. That character is Saheeli Rai. So no, Kaladesh does not have a legendary Blue/Red creature that mechanically cares about artifacts.

The fact that he's being unambiguous about this makes me think there won't be any in Aether Revolt either.

Ashodin

I'd love if they did a new Bolas in set 1, and had something like the four horsemen as his planeswalker lackies in set 2 (though I could be equating ancient Egyptian setting to Marvel's Apocalypse here, so maybe I'm reaching (also, they wouldn't have no Gatewatch representation, especially with Ajani coming to set this up)).

let's be best friends

I also agree Ajani in Aether Revolt and then Amonkhet is "before Gatewatch", where you see how bad(good?) everything is.

Watch how the plane is actually better off for having Bolas interact with it than it was before

"YOU SEE THESE PEOPLE? I RAISED THEM UP FROM NOTHING!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom