• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

597a9e5fb7dd7470e56ad09e370cb195.png

suck it

It's PR speak. We know the truth

Ashodin

Wait can creatures with summoning sickness crew the vehicles too? That totaly changes things.

Remember that the vehicle also does not have haste since it was summoned as an artifact the same turn you try to crew it.

HOWEVER, you can totally crew to block a creature with your bigger vehicle.

Violet_0

Banned
okay, those trains are cool, but you have to be seriously daft to get hit by one. Like, a demon sees the train approaching from far away and waits in middle of the rails thinking "yeah, I can take it"

that car gives me serious Halo-vibes

That is really deeply surprising to me given how near-universally people have had positive experiences with him.

I just asked for a signature on my badge and told him I like that he played the Cat Pact deck, and he seemed really dismissive and just kept playing on his phone. Later in the week I told the story at a draft event, and I wasn't the only one who had a negative experience. No biggie. Not everyone is awesome 24/7.

You don't reveal a plot twist via Tumblr. Come on.

Rosewater makes weird vague handwavey gestures towards things that are either real or could be real; he gives definitive, concrete answers about stuff that they don't want people to even consider as one possibility. He says this, it means it's not a plot point and they don't even want to tease it as a possibility, probably because it's really dumb and honestly kind of offensive.

Ashodin

Rosewater makes weird vague handwavey gestures towards things that are either real or could be real; he gives definitive, concrete answers about stuff that they don't want people to even consider as one possibility. He says this, it means it's not a plot point and they don't even want to tease it as a possibility, probably because it's really dumb and honestly kind of offensive.

Just means we move on to the real plot point

Chandra is a descendant OR a reincarnation (phoenix like even, kek) of Jaya

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
"Jaya is her grandmother on her father's side" is the actual, correct way to do this if they actually want to do it, which I don't think they do

Conspiracy 2 story time. A friend bought a box of Conspiracy 2 so the four of us have been playing that once every week or 2 whenever we can make time.

First time we played I ended up decking out since I was the monarch for so long but I would of been able to kill the last friend thanks to Incendiary Dissent, 6 red mana, Gruul War Chant, and some angry Cyclops.

Second game, I made a U/G Flier Overrun deck.

I had 2 Messenger Jays + a Follow Footsteps, 3 Vaporkins with 2 Natural Unity and 2 Hired Heists naming each creature as the decks plan. That let me draw a ton and thanks to Psychosis Crawler I was able to finish off a friend with just drawing. He was at 1 life and just had to accept death at my draw step.
Finished off the other 2 in one turn thanks to Overrun. 20 flying damage going to one via 2 Vaporkins and a Messenger Jay and a Psychosis Crawler and Manaplasm going to the other.

Anyways Conspiracy is fun.

"Jaya is her grandmother on her father's side" is the actual, correct way to do this if they actually want to do it, which I don't think they do

Right, I mean, the plotline is already literally that Chandra first planeswalked to a place where people had started a religion about Jaya Ballard based off of quotes from her flavor text and she developed her #aesthetic and skills on the basis of fangirling about that? Like I think it's covered.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games

This whole idea is racist at the root, right? Like some weird internet racists don't want their pure, white-skinned, red-headed waifu tarnished with non-Aryan DNA or something? My roommate came barging into my room today talking about it like it was some joke he just heard, and it struck me as pretty odd.

Ashodin

This whole idea is racist at the root, right? Like some weird internet racists don't want their pure, white-skinned, red-headed waifu tarnished with non-Aryan DNA or something? My roommate came barging into my room today talking about it like it was some joke he just heard, and it struck me as pretty odd.

Exactly. Some people go nuts over this type of shit trying to fit their headcanon

This whole idea is racist at the root, right? Like some weird internet racists don't want their pure, white-skinned, red-headed waifu tarnished with non-Aryan DNA or something?

I mean I think most of the time it's just surface-level "oh well I mean she doesn't LOOK Indian" without any other particular motive attached but it does LINE UP with what certain kinds of creepy internet racists say (and also with the kind of crap biracial kids get all the time about one or both of their parents.)

Maledict

I would say that, based entirely on their behavior (and not how they were created), zombies are more green than anything else. The qualities they exhibit closely resemble those of an untamed, hungry beast that operates purely on instinct. That's a trait that's mostly green and sort of red. It's definitely not black, blue, or white.

Zombies overrun the natural environment, killing all life in endless hunger. They definitely aren't green - they are completely at odds with the natural life / death cycle that green embodies, and the balance of nature.

You could make an argument for red, with the endless hunger and desire overriding everything else, but it's very hard to give them a green aspect. Even Atarka didn't destroy the natural balance with her hunger, she just put herself on top of it.

I would say that, based entirely on their behavior (and not how they were created), zombies are more green than anything else. The qualities they exhibit closely resemble those of an untamed, hungry beast that operates purely on instinct. That's a trait that's mostly green and sort of red. It's definitely not black, blue, or white.

Personally, I think zombies being in black is more about the person summoning them than the zombies themselves.

Zombies overrun the natural environment, killing all life in endless hunger. They definitely aren't green - they are completely at odds with the natural life / death cycle that green embodies, and the balance of nature.

You could make an argument for red, with the endless hunger and desire overriding everything else, but it's very hard to give them a green aspect. Even Atarka didn't destroy the natural balance with her hunger, she just put herself on top of it.

You can fit zombies into whichever colour, you just need a bit of flavour about the person summoning them. E.g. white zombies being summoned to serve as an incorruptible police force, blue zombies working as researchers who don't need to sleep or eat, red zombies being like the ones from 28 Days later and green zombies being a part of a parasite/fungus's natural life cycle. It can work. Zombies don't have to be ALL about hunger, after all.

I mean I think most of the time it's just surface-level "oh well I mean she doesn't LOOK Indian" without any other particular motive attached but it does LINE UP with what certain kinds of creepy internet racists say (and also with the kind of crap biracial kids get all the time about one or both of their parents.)

Thing is, regardless of motive, that's still racist.

Santiako

So will a vehicle no longer be a creature if they kill a "crew member" after its been tapped to activate it?
No, they stay as creature until end of turn. Kaladesh vehicles only need help in starting their engines, after that, they are autonomous for a while :p

jph139

Do we know when they're spoiling the whole set?

About an hour and a half (11am Eastern) usually.

Really looking forward to it... and playing with sealed simulators for the next week. Eternal Masters was kinda shitty and Shadows block has flip cards which screwed things up, so I haven't really enjoyed one since OGW.

Son1x

About an hour and a half (11am Eastern) usually.

Really looking forward to it... and playing with sealed simulators for the next week. Eternal Masters was kinda shitty and Shadows block has flip cards which screwed things up, so I haven't really enjoyed one since OGW.
Sweet. Looking forward to it myself too. This might be my favorite prelease yet although I've only been to a few.

OnPoint

No, what's kind of offensive is how clearly white she is while her parents and home world are so clearly Kaladeshi. She's a white-as-snow ginger for chrissakes. She's a visual beacon when compared to them -- just look at that hug card!

What's insulting is how they've clearly been trying to make her Jaya 2.0 the entire time she's existed, then they made her a different race than her parents during Origins, dropped clues to a Jaya connection with the googles during the pre-BFZ stories, now are dialing back on it because of reasons. She "looks more like her dad" because of the style of dress and goggles. Facially she looks not much more like her dad than her mom, and even he's a few shades darker than her.

I welcome more diversity in the main cast of Magic. They've long since needed to shake that up. And they've been making strides. But let's not kid ourselves that Chandra being Kaladeshi was planned from the start. It was easy enough to give Gideon a tan, but they didn't even try with Chandra. I get that she was created long before Kaladesh was a thought, but she doesn't fit the role as a Kaladesh native. It's just poor writing/planning/use of the character.

Anyway, I agree that if Maro says it flatly it's done. I was mostly joking about them revealing the plot twist in the future. So I'll drop it.

duxstar

the best part about the full set release is the ability to draft the new set on cockatrice sometime friday afternoon.

its mind boggling to me that Wizards hosts a prerelease for a set at stores and then you have to wait almost 2 weeks for mtgo to catch up.

bigkrev

WOW
Cse5tL9WYAARAD7.png

They must REALLY think people are going to pack artifacts in every deck if they were willing to print this
Cse4Ek2UMAE0TmU.png

I don't think this card is good, but it's an effect we haven't seen before.

The Technomancer

en_c37ZSFKIxh.png
en_Vn2gugBYk1.png

Stuff like this makes me excited for Kaladesh Limited. Even looking at this spoiler I can see how different but overlapping strategies want different pieces.

The Technomancer

The Diabolic Tutor is cute in an "edgy" way but that "Gatewatch to the rescue" card is just dumb yeah

So, what do you gain exactly by tapping a planeswalker?

Nothing but its less wordy than specifying that you don't and the important part is shutting off the activated abilities

Yeef

The 5 story cards in order:

en_kOE2NDAqZub.png
en_xH36nxaN4q.png
en_qPgHGpyvNN.png
en_4YGtA6phPZ.png
en_c9qUYtnU8h.png

My interpretation:
  • Kaladesh Inventos' Fair begins.
  • Pia is (purposely) captured by Tezzeret. (This is where we are now).
  • Tezzeret manages to also capture Chandra and Nissa in some sort of trap.
  • Jace, Ajani and the rest of the Gatewatch show up and rescue Nissa and Chandra (this seems to be shown on a non-story spotlight card).
  • They head to the arena where Pia is being forced to fight Tezzeret.
  • Tezzeret overthrows the Consulate and begins confiscating all of the inventions to some unknown, sinister end.

The Technomancer

Why would Tezzeret 1v1 Pia anyway, seems like something that should be happening on Theros instead.

Like I said above, I'm going with "distraction". The flavor text on the red card makes it sound like like a big spectacle. Everyone is going to show up to watch the head judge vs the head rebel, and while everything is in disarray the seizure begins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom