• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pokémon Mafia |OT| Gotta Catch Em’ Scum!

*Splinter

You weren't hopeful of the result meaning...that you thought Bronx wouldn't get lynched or was it he wasn't scum?
That he seemed unlikely to be scum. We were basically betting on an inactive which isn't an awful idea but isn't super likely to be successful.

As we got to the very end of the day... I don't know, it just felt like we were on the wrong path, and the other options didn't feel much better.

That's precisely the problem. Asking a question with such an easy/obvious answer isn't pressure. If anything it just lets Roy give an easy "right" answer, which in turn leads to people thinking "hmm, sounds reasonable, this Roy guy isn't so bad". It's negative pressure masquerading as contribution.

pls, "easy 'right' answer", yeah? Are you roylet, bro?

roylet might've answered the question earlier yeah, but he hasn't answered me

I can ask whatever and whoever I damn well please and if you wanna come at me suspicious-like then bring it, *

You should be thankful I'm even lending my name's cred to this admittedly inane question, k

if it's lighter-than-air it flies*, *Splint

and roylet's an owl

*floats

Sorry, I got distracted yesterday and then was too tired to seriously work through the new posts. As a consequence I haven't really read anything past page 17 (50ppp) yet (and probably will not for another few hours), but I have one short reply I can get out of the way

Why the sudden last-minute unvote btw?
I had totally lost track of the votecount, I did absolutely not pick up that Bronx-Man already had that many votes on him, I was ready to swing over to melonrabbit but feared to cause a tie. I wasn't sure how many votes the voteleader had or who the voteleader even was or if he currently was in a tie with Topo. The only thing I knew was that I wouldn't cause a tie by unvoting Topo (but maybe by staying) so that's what I did.

roytheone

Hmm, very interesting that there are quite a few people asking me about my last minute vote on bronx, even though Sawneeks already asked me that at the start of the day and I responded. Curious if they just missed that, or if there is scum in there trying to push this line of thought to see if it could catch on towards a mislynch on me. I especially found this post from melon a bit weird:

Ok. Enough with thus bacon business, I don't understand your ways, blarg.

Yes. Last minute Roy vote seemed unnecessary and definitely stood out to me as bandwagoning. You cannot use the excuse he just wanted a vote on record, several people opted out of voting on D1.

A) it wasn't unnecessary at all. The votes were very close, and both a tie or a sophia lynch were real possibilities. And out of those three options, a Bronx lynch seemed like the best one to me, at least that one would remove someone that was very hard to read because of inactivity and would probably just have been a point of discussion during later days (Sure, we now know that wouldn't have been the case since he could reveal himself, but there was no way to know that).

B) Then she proceeds to take on an argument that nobody made for some reason. This makes even less sense since I had an active vote on dusk soldier before my switch, and actively argued that I thought he was the most scummy. So why would I potentially use the excuse that I voted on bronx to have a vote on record....while I already had a vote on record? I don't get what melon is trying to say here.

Talking about Dusk:

I think this is the first game I played that didn't do day start/ends at 5pm EST. Completely missed day's end because of that.

Some thoughts so far...

Bronx man had the power to save himself the whole time, (although it was pretty close to the deadline when his ability activated.) and he didn't even bother trying to use it to save himself. And he spent the whole Day Phase MIA, kind of feel like he made his bed there.

Barrylocke's win condition was obscured but I'm guessing only because he died on N1.

I'm guessing it's a cult like ability with the goal to capture 6 mons, although that sounds crazy difficult so maybe just three instead. I wonder if it's an arson-like ability. Actually it probably is.

As for the votes yesterday. Ynnek7's stands out the most. The first two votes on him were prod votes cast due to Bronx's inactivity. He still had a vote left on him the beggining of the final day, and Ynnek7's vote:

Kind of reads to me like he's was strategically trying to start a bandwagon. It just the fact that to me, it reads like he had no real intention of coming back to thread after posting this.That gives me a scum vibe.

Another interesting vote on this is roy's buzzer beater vote. Like he was trying to make sure that Sophia didn't get lynched. Just another thing to look at if one of the two flip scum.

Another Dusk post I don't like. First of all he ignores my question to him about his pokemon read list and his vote on Fire and if that was just fluff/joke or serious. Then some really open doors (Bronx could have saved himself, Redacted stuff is because Barry died N1, my buzzer vote was to prevent a Sophia lynch, no shit to all of these), some baseless speculation (it probably is an arsonist ability? Where does he get that from?). Only the Ynnek7 part has real value.

Hmmm, I'm unsure if you have said anything on him or not but what are your thoughts on Blarg? Actually, thoughts on all the Bronx voters as well would be wonderful. Who do you plan to focus on for Day 2?

I really don't feel good about Blarg this game, and not just the normal "Blarg is crazy and useless" feeling you always get with Blarg, or the fact that he managed to find a non cute Rowlet picture. His posts felt even less linked with the game as normal, and his fluff based attack on sophia at the end of day 1 was incredibly weak. And now he jumps on the "Roy buzzer vote questioning". He is probably my second strongest scum read right behind Dusk.

I already explained that I think sophia her power is likely town. I have to look closer to stanley, ynnek7 and splinter. Being busy with work means I have little time to actually look back at people, even though I can keep up with the thread itself.

So do you think she could be a trainer? Maybe a neutral? Her being neutral is an idea I had but only because I can't seem to put her in either the town or mafia camp.

I find her being a neutral the least likely option. For a neutral, survival is super important, since it are the only people where dying means losing directly (unless there are tanners....please don't let there be tanners). And since a double voter is very dangerous for scum, it doesn't make a lot of sense for a neutral to put themselves in danger of getting NK like this.

roylet, repeat your earlier response regarding this Bronx-Man hammer vote question back to me in response to mine, that way you can be guilty-by-association once I die and I can have the satisfaction of taking one of you down with me

Ty4on, tell *Splint you agree with him agreeing with you, that way you two can be uninterrogable BFFs together and win the game for Town over my Frozen, KO'd Pokecorpse

*snip*

I really don't feel good about Blarg this game, and not just the normal "Blarg is crazy and useless" feeling you always get with Blarg, or the fact that he managed to find a non cute Rowlet picture. His posts felt even less linked with the game as normal, and his fluff based attack on sophia at the end of day 1 was incredibly weak. And now he jumps on the "Roy buzzer vote questioning". He is probably my second strongest scum read right behind Dusk.

*snip*

almost perfect, 4/5 *S, needs more slander

the Townieness-to-Blarg-slander ratio is logarithmic in nature, roylet

HM Fly with me, roylet

rise, roylet

Interesting flip. The pm reads more like a neutral role to me then a town or scum role. What really is weird is how Barry had two alignments. Does that mean he also had two win conditions? Sucks that is redacted :( And he can recruit people to his team, but those will both get the Gaga alignment AND their original alignment? Weird stuff all around.

I don't think a double vote is a scum ability. It's very powerful in the hands of scum. At the same time, if Sophia is town that means that scum will have to remove her eventually, since if she makes end game, she would be a huge advantage for town. No way a town double voter makes it to end game.

So yes, that vote was purely to prevent a sophia lynch or a tie. I had a null read on bronx since he barely said anything at all.

Also, I want Dusk to further explain his pokemon read list. Was that serious, or just a joke? Your vote on fire stayed on him until the end of the day, so that makes me think it was a serious list. Could you clarify this?

vote: dusk soldier

was this the post *Sp was referring to, roylet

Is this your answer

it's a nice answer

I see you're voting for Dusk Soldier, eh, roylet??

good choice, roylet

You have good taste

Hmm, very interesting that there are quite a few people asking me about my last minute vote on bronx, even though Sawneeks already asked me that at the start of the day and I responded. Curious if they just missed that, or if there is scum in there trying to push this line of thought to see if it could catch on towards a mislynch on me. I especially found this post from melon a bit weird:

Sorry, it was/is late and I did phrase it a bit poorly.

Asked another way, if possible would you have kept your vote on Dusk?

Also, I'm kind of flattered that so many of you thought about voting for me, but didn't for some reason. Hmmm.

Surely that Splinter vote would've encouraged some.

roytheone

was this the post *Sp was referring to, roylet

Is this your answer

it's a nice answer

I see you're voting for Dusk Soldier, eh, roylet??

good choice, roylet

You have good taste

Yes, that is the post I was referring to.

And I assume from the rest of the post you are also suspicious of Dusk? Can you explain why?

Also, I ain't going to fly you anywhere after desecrating the cuteness of Rowlet with that horrible picture :mad:

Sorry, it was/is late and I did phrase it a bit poorly.

Asked another way, if possible would you have kept your vote on Dusk?

I would have preferred a Dusk lynch, yeah. But that was clearly not going to happen and then I prefer to change my vote to one of the options on the table.

Ty4on

That I don't know, Ferret.

Ty, what moved CM from null to likely town during your reread?

I read PiR a bit ( just searched for CM's posts in D1 and start of D2) and noted that they seemed light on opinions and mostly just brought up what other people had said. That was not the impression I got from his posts in this game. Activity was a bit too low, but there seemed to be genuine thinking behind the posts and questions.

Ty4on

Forgot about this one.

Ty, would you say that The G's or Sophia's flipping either way affect your opinion of the other at this point?

Sophia flipping town would make me start to really rethink my reads, but while a town flip from TG would also make me rethink a bit it wouldn't be to the same degree. Scum flips would make me go more indepth to solidify the links and look for other links.

nin1000

Banned
now of course im not going to discount the possibility, i mean the X-shot stipulation already means it could have been toned down for mafia usage.
sophia is very much still possible scum, im just not going to judge that on any abilities.

Thats all i wanted to hear. Never discount any posibilities.

Hello everyone. I finally woke up and saw that Barry had been killed. No need to repeat all of those things.

Like with PiR i would look at those who voted bronx and start from there. Of course i was the one who was against a Day 1 lynch but in the end voted aswell. I mean town was for a day 1 lynch and we should start at that and look at those who voted bronx out.
Of course everyone will have a justification by now why they voted him out but that will be the tough choice for town today who to believe and who not to believe.
I am not going to comment on bronx play. Since in my eyes he could have revealed but well thats another story. Going to keep reading through it.

Yes, that is the post I was referring 2

AND I ASSUME FROM THE REST OF THE POST YOU ARE ALSO SUSPICIOUS OF DUSK? CAN YOU

Also, I ain't going to fly you anywhere after desecrating the cuteness of Rowlet with that horrible picture :mad:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

yeah whatever shut up

UNVOTE

VOTE: Blargonaut

roylet's innocent as fuck, I can't even begin to describe the conceptual quantity of how much none of you should pursue him. I really am the Negative Pressure™. Never ask the same question twice, kids

Be sure to like and subscribe to *Splint & Ty's Positive Pressure™, in which they scum-hunt by picking leads up and dropping them until they hatch

Shit *Splinter, you got me

I'm Team Rocket af

Looks like y'all gonna have to lynch my ass now

---
SURVEY TIME

Out of a score of five, 5 being most convincing and 1 being even more so; how would you rate Blargonaut's recent display of faux outrage deviously masking his being legitimately caught out as scum?

5- cult-like persuasive
4- business-savvy enticing
3- alright
2- *eyeroll*
1- Wiseauesque​

Tick the Boxes, yeah

*Splinter

Thats all i wanted to hear. Never discount any posibilities.

Hello everyone. I finally woke up and saw that Barry had been killed. No need to repeat all of those things.

Like with PiR i would look at those who voted bronx and start from there. Of course i was the one who was against a Day 1 lynch but in the end voted aswell. I mean town was for a day 1 lynch and we should start at that and look at those who voted bronx out.
Of course everyone will have a justification by now why they voted him out but that will be the tough choice for town today who to believe and who not to believe.
I am not going to comment on bronx play. Since in my eyes he could have revealed but well thats another story. Going to keep reading through it.
Ok, so which of the Bronx votes do you think is suspicious.

*Splinter

yeah whatever shut up

UNVOTE

VOTE: Blargonaut

roylet's innocent as fuck, I can't even begin to describe the conceptual quantity of how much none of you should pursue him. I really am the Negative Pressure™. Never ask the same question twice, kids

Be sure to like and subscribe to *Splint & Ty's Positive Pressure™, in which they scum-hunt by picking leads up and dropping them until they hatch

Shit *Splinter, you got me

I'm Team Rocket af

Looks like y'all gonna have to lynch my ass now

---
SURVEY TIME

Out of a score of five, 5 being most convincing and 1 being even more so; how would you rate Blargonaut's recent display of faux outrage deviously masking his being legitimately caught out as scum?

5- cult-like persuasive
3- alright
2- *eyeroll*
1- Wiseauesque​

Tick the Boxes, yeah
A solid 2, as usual

nin1000

Banned
Ok, so which of the Bronx votes do you think is suspicious.

every single one of them
bronx-man (5)
sophia 323 (462)
stanleypalmtree 442
ynnek7 592
sophia 762
*splinter 774 (777)
*splinter 797
roytheone 802

especially those that came in later. Yep that makes you *splinter and roy suspicious.
The thing is though. There will always be a reason and an excuse from you guys why you did that. But the end result will stay the same. Ynnek7 is a prime example of someone who just put the vote out there because others did. I dont buy his excuse or his reasoning is the weakest atm.

nin1000

Banned
Vote: Nin1000

Hello Nin.

Now that we are past Day 1 and have a flip, what are your thoughts on the game?
Very interesting so far.

You mentioned you preferred having a Night start so the first Day Phase could provide information in terms of a NK flip. Why do you think Barry was killed?

he was one of those players that was there but did not really make an impact. Good choice from a mafia persfective. Barrys death did not impact the activity of the game and therefore mafia will still be able to hide in the masses

What do you make of his role?

Very interesting. It confirms that there is a 3rd party that can recruit others players. not knowing which side he was on is one of the most interesting things though.

What do you think of the Bronx voters since you felt that his lynch was safe?

all of them are my lynch list today.

Hmmm, I'm unsure if you have said anything on him or not but what are your thoughts on Blarg?

I hope that he will be more helpful in the coming days.

Actually, thoughts on all the Bronx voters as well would be wonderful. Who do you plan to focus on for Day 2?

as above mentioned all of those who voted Bronx. Every single one of them will fight back ( like they should ) and defend themselves ( like they damn should ) but in the end bronx died by their hands and looking at them is a start. Of course in the end someone could argue that scum could also hide somewhere else but for today i want to focus on the votes of bronx. In my eyes not focusing on those facts could hurt us in the long run.

Ty4on

SURVEY TIME

5- cult-like persuasive
3- alright
2- *eyeroll*
1- Wiseauesque​

Tick the Boxes, yeah
Ahahahahahahah. What a story Mark.

Ty4on, tell *Splint you agree with him agreeing with you, that way you two can be uninterrogable BFFs together and win the game for Town over my Frozen, KO'd Pokecorpse
Doctor doctor was a fluke, I never fully trust Splinter ^_^;

Like I said in my original vote, I wanted to hear more from him. He mentioned that he'd be back in a bit to post:

sometime around the middle of the day phase, and then didn't post again for over 24 hours. That seems like more than enough time to try prodding a bit more for a response.

Definitely. I probably would have unvoted had I had the time once I saw that Roy voted for him as well. That one seemed to come out of nowhere to me, but his explanation for it at least makes sense.
To me Ynnek7, based on the timing of when you placed your vote, it felt like you didn't care whether or not your vote led to Bronx getting lynched.

If you had mentioned that you thought he was scum. Or that you felt he was dead weight, and unhelpful to town. I think I would have felt better about the vote.

You just seemed more concerned with looking "guiltless" rather than actually helping town out. If that makes sense.

*Splinter

As for the votes yesterday. Ynnek7's stands out the most. The first two votes on him were prod votes cast due to Bronx's inactivity. He still had a vote left on him the beggining of the final day, and Ynnek7's vote:

Kind of reads to me like he's was strategically trying to start a bandwagon. It just the fact that to me, it reads like he had no real intention of coming back to thread after posting this.That gives me a scum vibe.
To me Ynnek7, based on the timing of when you placed your vote, it felt like you didn't care whether or not your vote led to Bronx getting lynched.

[...]

You just seemed more concerned with looking "guiltless" rather than actually helping town out. If that makes sense.
I feel like these accusations dont line up. He was trying to start a bandwagon... But didn't care if the target was lynched or not and just wanted to stay out of trouble?

*Splinter

Also from that older post:

Another interesting vote on this is roy's buzzer beater vote. Like he was trying to make sure that Sophia didn't get lynched. Just another thing to look at if one of the two flip scum.
Roy had stated earlier in the day that he would vote to save Sophia, so I don't like that you paint it as a covert action here.

El Topo

Apologies right now if I don't post much today*, I have to think about a few things (regarding this game).

*Real world day, not in-game day.

every single one of them
bronx-man (5)
sophia 323 (462)
stanleypalmtree 442
ynnek7 592
sophia 762
*splinter 774 (777)
*splinter 797
roytheone 802

especially those that came in later. Yep that makes you *splinter and roy suspicious.
The thing is though. There will always be a reason and an excuse from you guys why you did that. But the end result will stay the same. Ynnek7 is a prime example of someone who just put the vote out there because others did. I dont buy his excuse or his reasoning is the weakest atm.

Could you list why they are all suspicious? A brief statement on each of them would be helpful.

El Topo

Two things though before I leave for the mountain top to ponder our situation:

1. In Price is Right, not a single mafia member took part in the D1 lynch of Blarg.

2. Under which circumstances does it even make sense for mafia to push for a lynch of Bronx-Man in that situation? Why would they bother to expose themselves on D1, when they can instead sit back?

nin1000

Banned

1. In Price is Right, not a single mafia member took part in the D1 lynch of Blarg.

that is true yes

2. Under which circumstances does it even make sense for mafia to push for a lynch of Bronx-Man in that situation? Why would they bother to expose themselves on D1, when they can instead sit back?

under the circumstance that they did not push for a lynch but put a vote on him down.
But to be clear i like that PiR comparasion since in that game Town pretty much killed itself. That is indeed something to consider.

The reason why i am pushing to go for those who voted for bronx is that almost everyone was for a day 1 lynch in order to get some info. The info we got was that those above lynched an almost inactive player who turned out to be a VIP.

*Splinter

The reason why i am pushing to go for those who voted for bronx is that almost everyone was for a day 1 lynch in order to get some info. The info we got was that those above lynched an almost inactive player who turned out to be a VIP.
That's all the info you got?

-Sophia has a double vote
-Roy trusts Sophia enough to defend her based purely on her double vote
-Gorlak does not believe the double vote to be indicative of alignment, doesn't trust Sophia
-Blargonaut doesn't trust Sophia, believes her role flavour to fit with scum better than with town
-etc

That's just some obvious stuff, based off of one event, off the top of my head.

Obviously we would get some stuff without lynching but do you think people would bother posting so much if we had decided, as the first order of business, that we wouldn't be lynching that day?

*Splinter

In fact, I'd wager Sophia wouldn't have claimed if she hadn't been looking ahead to her own possible lynch, so even that snippet I gave as an example we wouldn't have if we had done as you wanted.

A solid 2, as usual

Pretty sure that was the reaction he was fishing for.

oPMkDKA.gif

I don't doubt it. Problem is he did exactly the same last game (as town).

Last game with Blarg was like a master class on how to play the tanner role.

oYvXgBp.gif

I Can (Not) Redo

Ynnek7

If you had mentioned that you thought he was scum. Or that you felt he was dead weight, and unhelpful to town. I think I would have felt better about the vote.

On my phone, and neogaf seems to be up and down for me so I'm only quoting this post.

Like I had said before, my vote was more or less a prod vote. I wanted him to participate more as his post count was even lower than mine, which is a feat itself.
Do I regret his lynch? Of course, and I'm willing to accept my share of the blame for it. By time he came back to respond and his vote count started to rise, however, I was at work and didn't have a chance to change it.

nin1000

Banned
i think you misunderstood me *splinter.

what i meant with

was that my line of thinking was that we should go after the lynch info we got. i think that there scum hiding in that list.

That does not mean that i wont comment on all the other things that happened.
I for one am not so sure that sophia can be town. But for today i wont bother since either scum will kill her or she will survive. If she does, it would either mean that scum will not kill her in order to town do the job or she is indeed scum.

Of course i saw what happened on D1 so please dont try to make me look bad.

nin1000

Banned
-Roy trusts Sophia enough to defend her based purely on her double vote

never trust anyone, especially not after one single day

-Gorlak does not believe the double vote to be indicative of alignment, doesn't trust Sophia

that is in my eyes a normal thing to do.

-Blargonaut doesn't trust Sophia, believes her role flavour to fit with scum better than with town

i would usually not look too deep into "flavour" since one the one hand it is flavour and on the other hand it is something that was not confirmed.

-etc

Obviously we would get some stuff without lynching but do you think people would bother posting so much if we had decided, as the first order of business, that we wouldn't be lynching that day?

i never expected it to happen as something from the beginning though.

*Splinter

Because that is my way to go for now. I dont think you will agree on that but that wont change a thing though. I just dont like the reason yennek7 or ( escpecially ) roy gave.
Fair enough (ish).

So what specifically don't you like about Ynnek's and roy's vote reasons?

Vote: Sophia

I have no idea how she could have survived the night. A town-aligned double vote is catastrophic for scum. Less indicative of scumminess is her vote for Bronx-Man. If a doctor protected her, how did Barry die?

We know there's a third party (trainers), we just didn't know if they were town or neutral before this.

I'm not sure what the Barry flips tell us. That there is a third party? That he may have caught a Pokemon?

Either a third party or a sub-party. I read it as Trainers and Pokemon being either town and scum, with trainers having the ability to catch Pokemon. I'm not sure what would have happened to Barry had he lived through the night-- gaining the powers of the Pokemon he caught does seem like too much. There has to be an effect of being caught, though. Possibilities include forming their own party and maybe the Pokemon is identified in some way (role or alignment) to the trainer.

Gorlak

Banned
Uh... double voter... not scum aligned... uhoh... hahahahaha.

Guess I was the only one really interested in that matter? Well, someone had to dig up some old game. You'll never guess what I found out.

Does anyone want to place a bet who was a scum aligned double voter in her first game?

hahaha

Ladies and Gentleman I present you...

image.php

Fireblend

Banned
I'm still catching up, but I'm here and will be available for the next few hours.

Current discussion seems to be centered on:

- Sophia's double power
- Bronx's lynch list

Regarding #1, I have some thoughts on Sophia but I'm generally undecided. I would like to see how the flavor connects her claimed Pokemon to her power, though. The connection between Charizard and Incinerate is pretty obvious, but Double isn't even a Pokemon move? I'm not a fan of "X power wouldn't make sense in this game because <mechanics/game balance discussion>", specially not when used to defend people.

Regarding #2 the one who sticks out to me the most still is Ynnek. He seems to be too willing to please everyone with his posts and the only vote he's made so far (Bronx's) has been one he calls a "prod", and it even came with a disclaimer that he could be swayed from it out of the gate. I just feel he's playing too defensively for someone who got 1 single vote in all of day 1. I'd like to see some more decisiveness from him at the very least.

Are you making a case for not looking at the Bronx voters? I agree that looking at them exclusively is a pretty bad idea, considering Bronx didn't get that many votes and at some point yesterday's votes were pretty evenly distributed, but I'm sure so does everyone else so I'm not sure what this anecdote is for.

I'm still tired from yesterday and also have some work to do, but I'll try to finish catching up soon and I'll be glued to my work computer today so I can at least be responsive.

Gorlak

Banned
Werewolf I was ended early after N1. - WW role assignment

Sophia was a scum double voter. She outed herself as a double voter on Day 1 just like here. Only El Topo and Darryl were in that game as well. This confirms my suspicion. The role does not indicate her alignment at all.

The way she claimed also reeks of scared scum. Just far enough away from the deadline to ease the attention on her, with some people backing her. No justification for claiming, not even admitting it was to save herself. Further information on her claim only after constant demand. Still no paraphrasing of the fluff.

Not mentioning that she was a double voter in the past as scum, can clearly be held against her.

Top Bottom