• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom puts anti-cracking rootkit in Street Fighter 5 PC version update

Okay that's it. I'm done with this game for now. I'll delete it form my PS4 and come back to it in a year or two IF they've handled this shit show by then.

I know this doesn't even affect PS4 players but Capcom being THIS shitty towards their fanbase is something that I can't simply accept out of principle.

Card Boy

Banned
Okay that's it. I'm done with this game for now. I'll delete it form my PS4 and come back to it in a year or two IF they've handled this shit show by then.

I know this doesn't even affect PS4 players but Capcom being THIS shitty towards their fanbase is something that I can't simply accept out of principle.

You sure showed them as a PS4 player!

Wonko_C

I just downloaded a small update (33MB), it supposedly is the rollback update but seems I have to manually remove Capcom.sys? Grrrr...

You sure showed them as a PS4 player!
You gotta love GAF. People are just waiting to mock anything.

What do you want me to do? Go burn down their offices or something? I've already (foolishly) bought the game digitally so all I can do now is stop playing it. Mock that all you want.

You gotta love GAF. People are just waiting to mock anything.

What do you want me to do? Go burn down their offices or something? I've already (foolishly) bought the game digitally so all I can do now is stop playing it. Mock that all you want.

You don't need to defend yourself. The people who will continue to support this shitshow can only be sarcastic because thats their only option. There's no real defense force for what happened.

You don't need to defend yourself. The people who will continue to support this shitshow can only be sarcastic because thats their only option. There's no real defense force for what happened.
I honestly can't believe how anyone could get behind shit like this. I love a lot of Capcom games myself so I get that, but that doesn't mean that I have to be okay with or deny Capcom's shitty attitude towards their fans/customers.

MrCarter

I'm not defending this practise but people like you will always continue to moan, whine and nitpick about this "shit show" because it suits your agenda. Capcom made a massive mistake and have addressed it promptly so there's two things players can do. 1. Continue to cry about it or 2. Move on and play a game they enjoy with more content and a highly anticipated character in the latest update. So yeah, no sarcastic tone here.

zashga

Well, there goes any chance of me picking up SF5 for cheap somewhere down the line. Absolutely abhorrent behavior on Capcom's part.

Can Valve take a game off Steam for behavior like this? I'm kind of amazed it would ever be allowed, especially in a post-launch update.

I'll try to reword the explanation of this "driver". The key concept to understand is that it doesn't do anti-cheat stuff. Perhaps because cheats will change and they didn't want to change the driver, or perhaps because developing drivers the right way is hard and they didn't want to poke Windows for constant driver changes during development of anti-cheat.

So instead this driver allows programs to temporarily install their own drivers, which can be anti-cheat programs, but which also can be malware like keyloggers and such. It apparently doesn't verify what it runs at all. Whoever allowed this to be distributed either uses some insanely painful security system and assumes everyone does too, or doesn't know/give a shit about security, or had a very bad headache that day.

This assumes disassembly is correct. I don't know much about disassembling so I can't verify it.

One thing that confuses me: is this driver signed by MS? If so, aaaaaaaaaaaa!? If not, doesn't Windows block that? If indirectly, who signed it directly?
If I'm not mistaken, steam has a certificate itself which allows it to install any games the way it does.

I'm not defending this practise but people like you will always continue to moan, whine and nitpick about this "shit show" because it suits your agenda. Capcom made a massive mistake and have addressed it promptly so there's two things players can do. 1. Continue to cry about it or 2. Move on and play a game they enjoy with more content and a highly anticipated character in the latest update. So yeah, no sarcastic tone here.

You're forgetting the obvious #3: recognize Capcom made an enormous, possibly criminal mistake and deserve both widespread condemnation and plenty of future caution.

God, pretending we should ignore this now just because they fixed their incredibly stupid and selfish mistake relatively quickly? No, on a scale of Boycott to Ignore, these jerks are sitting much, much closer to the former. I haven't decided myself, but I'm certainly not going to ignore this insulting shit they pulled.

Mechazawa

You crying about poor old Capcom getting slagged on is infinitely more annoying than a million whiners crying about no arcade mode or whatever. They deserve all the bullshit in the world for literally putting an unnecessary and risky attack vector on people's computers because they decided to take shortcuts over fucking costume mods and Capcom funny money. This isn't some shit you just shrug off. This ain't "lol oh Capcom you goofs no hard feelings"

I've been very patient with them for months now through the thick and thin of the kind of resources this game clearly doesn't have, but this is new levels of incompetence, even for them.

Edit: And I'd like to point out even after their rollback patch or whatever came out this morning, I still had to rummage through my own damn folders to delete that .sys file.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
A decade after Sony's rootkit debacle, how could any company think this was okay?

I'll try to reword the explanation of this "driver". The key concept to understand is that it doesn't do anti-cheat stuff. Perhaps because cheats will change and they didn't want to change the driver, or perhaps because developing drivers the right way is hard and they didn't want to poke Windows for constant driver changes during development of anti-cheat.

So instead this driver allows programs to temporarily install their own drivers, which can be anti-cheat programs, but which also can be malware like keyloggers and such. It apparently doesn't verify what it runs at all. Whoever allowed this to be distributed either uses some insanely painful security system and assumes everyone does too, or doesn't know/give a shit about security, or had a very bad headache that day.

This assumes disassembly is correct. I don't know much about disassembling so I can't verify it.

One thing that confuses me: is this driver signed by MS? If so, aaaaaaaaaaaa!? If not, doesn't Windows block that? If indirectly, who signed it directly?

So if I'm understanding correctly, its basically a potential backdoor to potential Malware, most likely due to incompetence?

fresquito

So you basically swallow anything Capcom throws at you with a big smile?

Probably Cappcom did this because they think most consumers are like you. And probably they are near bankrupcy because we are not.

Zafir

Glad I didn't have time to launch the game on PC over the past few days. :|

I assume that patch will remove any remnants of it on your computer as well, ie the driver itself (assuming it got installed when the patch came through the other day)?

Fuz

Banned
I'm not defending Capcom at all over this whole fiasco, but it's really bugging me that people are still complaining that Capcom is doing stuff like this instead of implementing things like direct input support or other quality. These wouldn't be worked on by the same people. They wouldn't be doing just one thing at a time. That's not how game development works.

Yeah, no. If they have money to spare for this shit, they have money to spare to pay an intern to program a simple key rebind interface.

MrCarter

You're forgetting the obvious #3: recognize Capcom made an enormous, possibly criminal mistake and deserve both widespread condemnation and plenty of future caution.

God, pretending we should ignore this now just because they fixed their incredibly stupid and selfish mistake relatively quickly? No, on a scale of Boycott to Ignore, these jerks are sitting much, much closer to the former. I haven't decided myself, but I'm certainly not going to ignore this insulting shit they pulled.

I forgot how much Gaf love to gets the pitchforks out. You'd think Capcom or other game companies came to your house and shat on your doorstep going by some of the OTT reactions. Like I said, Capcom made a huge mistake which they quickly (much to some people's demise) rectified so it's either people stop moaning or continue to play a game they enjoy. I'm not going to punish the entire development team (those who actually work on content) who have worked so hard on the game over stupid decisions from thier awful management. That sort of mob mentality is very nasty and ignorant.

prudislav

A decade after Sony's rootkit debacle, how could any company think this was okay?
yeah was really crazy back then with securom rootkit and the mess around starforce :D
although what worries me is that the same people that created that securom rootkit are now glorified when all they did was to buyout from Sony and rebrand the company,and after that rework and rebrand the DRM and do maketing push that they are awesome and saviours of gaming....
...makes me kinda sick

MrCarter

You crying about poor old Capcom getting slagged on is infinitely more annoying than a million whiners crying about no arcade mode or whatever. They deserve all the bullshit in the world for literally putting an unnecessary and risky attack vector on people's computers because they decided to take shortcuts over fucking costume mods and Capcom funny money. This isn't some shit you just shrug off. This ain't "lol oh Capcom you goofs no hard feelings"

I've been very patient with them for months now through the thick and thin of the kind of resources this game clearly doesn't have, but this is new levels of incompetence, even for them.

Edit: And I'd like to point out even after their rollback patch or whatever came out this morning, I still had to rummage through my own damn folders to delete that .sys file.

It wasn't "shortcuts" they did hack the game and use characters and tools that weren't actually theirs. I think it's more annoying how people put the blame on every single person working on SFV when this awful decision was made by only a handful of people at the upper end of management. I enjoy SFV because it is a fundamentally great game with it's polished and balanced gameplay so I won't let some imbeciles actions ruin the amount of enjoyment I've had from this title.

I forgot how much Gaf love to gets the pitchforks out. You'd think Capcom or other game companies came to your house and shat on your doorstep going by some of the OTT reactions. Like I said, Capcom made a huge mistake which they quickly (much to some people's demise) rectified so it's either people stop moaning or continue to play a game they enjoy. I'm not going to punish the entire development team (those who actually work on content) who have worked so hard on the game over stupid decisions from thier awful management. That sort of mob mentality is very nasty and ignorant.

No its more like Capcom came to your house and unlocked and opened all your doors and windows.

Mechazawa

The shortcut I'm talking about is Capcom dumping a malicious driver on everyone who patched and ran their game to curb the cheating, not the actual cheating.

And frankly, who actually gives a shit about about the cheating in the grand scheme of things when we see what Capcom's initial solution to it was in the first place? Boohoo, the cheating, thanks for the backdoor in your lust to trip over yourself and stop it Capcom, I feel so bad for you.

If it doesn't actually remove the driver, they haven't reversed the security risk, which is the whole reasoning for the uproar. The fact people can now play the game is not the main concern.

Yeah, no. If they have money to spare for this shit, they have money to spare to pay an intern to program a simple key rebind interface.

I never said they didn't. They should be doing that. They should be fixing all sorts of shit. I don't even really understand what your reply has to do with my comment.

Stop moaning? Stop moaning?!

And I forgot that certain minority elements of GAF are such disgusting, unreasoning corporate apologists that it's effectively impossible to try to discuss anything with them.

Capcom deliberately broke the computers of everybody who owns the PC version of Street Fighter 5, all so they could protect the purity of their dumb Fight Money system. Hundreds of thousands of paying customers with their PCs broken wide open to every unsavory element out there on the internet -- this is what Capcom planned, implemented, and released, all without any warning.

The fact that any of us are even considering giving Capcom any future support isn't "pitchforks", it's extreme generosity after they deliberately risked every important thing we might use our PCs for, for example our finances, our jobs, our important photos and emails, etc. Capcom working quickly to cease their extremely illegal actions is the fucking obvious course of action to save their asses, it's not something that somehow makes them look like good guys.

If you want to still hold these arrogant criminals dear to your heart that's your own business, but right now instead of whining about "mob mentality" you should probably just shut up.

Jackpot

Banned

So you're back to defending rootkits? That didn't last long.

Fitts

So are we good after the rollback? I'm confused.

I don't blame Capcom for taking action when some were stealing paid content, but this obviously wasn't the way to go about it.

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
If you've never started it before they removed it, you shouldn't have it. It should be in the system32 folder, though. Better search for it.

Yeah, you won't have it if you haven't run the bad version of SFV. You have to give the game permissions first, before it can actually install the driver.

Kaleinc

Banned
capcom.sys was too big to swallow

435P14o.png

mcrommert

Banned
Yep and this right here is why I will never play primarily on pc...when the expectation is access that will allow you to cheat there is no point

Top Bottom