• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom puts anti-cracking rootkit in Street Fighter 5 PC version update

RK9039

It's fine, they'll just update it to delete system32 instead.

Lmao. Don't give them ideas.

Capcom trying their best:

kvDwl.gif

MrCarter

Hey, as long as they protect their microtransaction-infested business model, right?

It was more to protect thier revenue stream which they have a right to do but the way they went about it was stupid. Capcom needs to give the network development of this game to the US or a team that's actually competent enough to handle it.

Costia

...it's just they didn't implement it properly ...
You clearly don't understand what they did.
Writing a driver isn't that easy, so we aren't talking about a bug or some unintentional behavior that needs fixing. It's something that takes effort and was definitely done on purpose.
PC's aren't just gaming machines, they usually contain personal and financial data as well.
And they intentionally created a huge security hole in all of their customer's PCs to protect something in a game. That's insane.
It doesn't matter if later they decided to roll it back, and it doesn't matter why they did. Just the thought that they were willing to do this in the first place is very disturbing.

It's a 5gb update, so that's pretty substantial. Just another part of the continuation of this game's botched launch. It's almost where it should have been when it launched though the only way it could ever get there is by making its current dlc characters free permanently. I'm fine with them charging for stages, colors and costumes how they have AND I'm fine with them charging for any new characters from here on out but I personally don't think any of the current batch of dlc characters should have ever cost anything especially since:
A. The vanilla roster is not that big. The roster with the dlc characters is more of a reasonable size.
B. The fact that you can play these characters in the completely free story mode is ridiculous.

All in all, the way Capcom released this game is like a really bad version of what MS did with Killer Instinct. If they just copied that 1:1 I would literally have no complaints. Conceptually, I think the fight money idea is really cool, but had I know it's execution would be what it is I would not have bought the game at launch and would have instead waited til I could get the game+season pass for $60.

Imagine how people who bought the game + season pass feel :-/

MrCarter

You clearly don't understand what they did.
Writing a driver isn't that easy, so we aren't talking about a bug or some unintentional behavior that needs fixing. It's something that takes effort and was definitely done on purpose.
PC's aren't just gaming machines, they usually contain personal and financial data as well.
And they intentionally created a huge security hole in all of their customer's PCs to protect something in a game. That's insane.
It doesn't matter if later they decided to roll it back, and it doesn't matter why they did. Just the thought that they were willing to do this in the first place is very disturbing.

Yep, after doing some more research I take back what I said. This was insane. This is one of the reasons why I have a console and glad to have my PS4. I still believe they wanted to stop hackers but they completely went about it the wrong way on PC. These fucking managers at Capcom...

MrCarter

It seems the defense force has had a change of heart, so I think we're good on this one now.

Hey, give me a break. I just see the glass half full all the time that's all, especially with a game that I know is fundamentally good. However, now knowing that they created a driver to deliberately prevent hacking that could also compromise your PC was indeed stupid, no matter how much they wanted to protect thier revenue stream. Sony, with thier years of experience, NEED to step in with this game and give a massive overhaul to it's network.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
One thing that confuses me: is this driver signed by MS? If so, aaaaaaaaaaaa!?

No, but the hilarious part on MS's end is that the unsigned driver warning didn't pop-up for anyone that upgraded Windows 10 at "launch" for the OS or upgraded from that to the Anniversary update. Apparently ONLY fresh installs of that current build informed you that Capcom's malware was unsigned.

Paging dlmn8r to smack everyone at MS HQ to patch this next patch-Tuesday on Win10 because lord knows they have the means for force this on everyone at this point to solve this potential security issue going forward.

M3d10n

Depends. Right now it asks to do that each bootup to put it in the system32. If they rollback and forget to have a one-time call of deleting it themselves, you'll have to delete it manually.

The fuck? You mean the game brings up UAC prompts when launched every time?

One thing that confuses me: is this driver signed by MS? If so, aaaaaaaaaaaa!? If not, doesn't Windows block that? If indirectly, who signed it directly?

Drivers don't need to be signed by MS, they only need to be signed by a valid root certificate authority. Starting with Windows 10 Anniversary, Microsoft is starting to require drivers to be signed through their developer portal, but it's still full of exceptions (only for fresh installs and drivers signed with certificates issued before a certain date are still allowed), so this would probably still slip through.

Brashnir

Hey, give me a break. I just see the glass half full all the time that's all, especially with a game that I know is fundamentally good. However, now knowing that they created a driver to deliberately prevent hacking that could also compromise your PC was indeed stupid, no matter how much they wanted to protect thier revenue stream. Sony, with thier years of experience, NEED to step in with this game and give a massive overhaul to it's network.

It's cool, the break has already been given. I appreciate that you've educated yourself via this thread (and perhaps by reading outside sources?) and now get why this was really bad thing for Capcom to do. Not everybody knows everything when they first enter a conversation, and your turnaround says a lot about your ability to see reason when it's presented to you.

M3d10n

No, but the hilarious part on MS's end is that the unsigned driver warning didn't pop-up for anyone that upgraded Windows 10 at "launch" for the OS or upgraded from that to the Anniversary update. Apparently ONLY fresh installs of that current build informed you that Capcom's malware was unsigned.

Paging dlmn8r to smack everyone at MS HQ to patch this next patch-Tuesday on Win10 because lord knows they have the means for force this on everyone at this point to solve this potential security issue going forward.

I'm pretty sure we have a GAF thread and a bunch of Tim Sweeney tweets protesting vehemently against this (requiring MS signed drivers) when it was announced.

jotun?

DirectInput has been deprecated since 2005 when Xinput was introduced, and MS stopped recommending that anybody still use it after 2011. I'm not sure what the big deal about DirectInput is, it's Sony's responsibility to implement Xinput support for Dualshock controllers instead of relying on a decade-obsolete standard.

Does anyone know if the "official" wireless adapter Sony released for the Dualshock 4 finally implements Xinput support for PS4 controllers on PC?

I find it hard to consider DirectInput to be "deprecated" or "obsolete" with XInput as the only replacement.

XInput was made for the XBox 360 and its controller, with no real consideration for anything above or beyond that. It can't support more than 4 controllers, it doesn't support older controllers, it can't support any axes or buttons or other features beyond exactly what the 360 controller has, and it can't even identify controllers beyond simple 1-4 numbering. While it has the advantage of being much simpler, it's also woefully inadequate at actually replacing the full functionality that DirectInput can provide.

TheSeks

The fuck? You mean the game brings up UAC prompts when launched every time?

Yes. Because the anti-cheat needs to "handshake" and start the Capcom.sys/malware to do that.

I'm pretty sure we have a GAF thread and a bunch of Tim Sweeney tweets protesting vehemently against this (requiring MS signed drivers) when it was announced.

No, we had tweets about MS crippling the OS (and rightly so) with UWP/A applications by sandboxing it.

Preventing unsigned drivers isn't anything to complain about in terms of computer security. I don't know why Sweeney or someone would complain about that outside of non-legit drivers like DS3Joy or whatever it's called (which turned into Malware eventually) and you can manually disable that protection if you need to and know the drivers are okay.

Capcom purposely is holding a gun to your head to do it.

HotHamBoy

Yep, after doing some more research I take back what I said. This was insane. This is one of the reasons why I have a console and glad to have my PS4. I still believe they wanted to stop hackers but they completely went about it the wrong way on PC. These fucking managers at Capcom...

No, dude, everything is fine. Capcom is a well-intentioned, pro-consumer company that puts customer satisfaction before their bottom line. Street Fighter V is a good, competent product that has been perfectly well-managed at every turn. People are just jumping on the band wagon and acting entitled. There's no call for outrage.

You know I love ya, buddy.

But seriously, I think a lot of people are blinded by nostalgia and their love for the franchise. Look, we all WANT to love and enjoy the game we bought (midnight release for me!), we all want a great future for Street Fighter, but at what point is it enough?

TheSeks

most of it was only relevant when the game launched.

...And yet, seven months later... it's still relevant especially on PC (read: Nothing but Xinput supported out of box when SF4 did DirectInput AND Xinput out of box). You're reading a PC review and then going "but it works fine on PS4 doe!"

No offense, but since you had no idea why this malware was bad: Why are you continuing to defend Capcom from our ire? You don't even own the PC version to understand why the PC version is so bad/in a bad state.

MrCarter

No, dude, everything is fine. Capcom is a well-intentioned, pro-consumer company that puts customer satisfaction before their bottom line. Street Fighter V is a good, competent product that has been perfectly well-managed at every turn. People are just jumping on the band wagon and acting entitled. There's no call for outrage.

You know I love ya, buddy.

But seriously, I think a lot of people are blinded by nostalgia and their love for the franchise. Look, we all WANT to love and enjoy the game we bought (midnight release for me!), we all want a great future for Street Fighter, but at what point is it enough?

You do have the tendency to throw more fuel on the fire when it comes to this game but this time your fuel is actually justified. At launch the game was indeed bad but after 7 months they have come a long way with many features and updates but this thing with PC has set thier consumers trust back again. Is it a good product? Well, yes as from the gameplay perspective it's one of the best fighters out there and is doing very well in the fighting game community but from a management perspective? No fucking way. I seriously want the development of this game to be exported to the USA as soon as possible because they might actually do a better job at management because clearly the Japanese team have no fucking clue.

inky

#Fuckonami

It's interesting that this happens today. With the recent release of DRM-free Spore I was reminiscing about Mass Effect PC and Spore and the awful version of SecuROM they both came out with originally. Fuck these companies, they never change.

MrCarter

...And yet, seven months later... it's still relevant especially on PC (read: Nothing but Xinput supported out of box when SF4 did DirectInput AND Xinput out of box). You're reading a PC review and then going "but it works fine on PS4 doe!"

No offense, but since you had no idea why this malware was bad: Why are you continuing to defend Capcom from our ire? You don't even own the PC version to understand why the PC version is so bad/in a bad state.

Well you did say to read the "review" and I pointed up stuff that was clearly wrong. I didn't realise PS4 players can't point out flaws on a PC review of a game. They have fixed and implemented a lot of stuff in 7 months but I do agree that they should have given the PC crowd thier D-inputs. Also, if you read my posts later on I am absolutely annoyed why Capcom would even think to implement the rootkit crap.

Accoun

Disassembly?

The loader driver has been disassembled (basically it got translated from machine code to Assembly language, someone analyzed what it does and said it only launches other code at kernel level) - not sure if I can link it directly, but it's somewhere in this thread.
https://www.reddit.com/r/StreetFighter/comments/544tg5/warning_to_all_sfv_pc_players/

I think it might be using something like gameguard to stop RAM edits before they even happen

Offtop, but does PSO2 still use it? I was thinking about picking it up soon, but I think I might not.

synce

I'm interested to see if there's a lawsuit over this. There's no damage done yet but I doubt everyone will remove it, and last I checked rootkits were kind of illegal

la_briola

You can try refunding the game on steam, since something like this should count as an exception against their normal refunding policy. I would if I bought it on steam.

You can try refunding the game on steam, since something like this shoul counts as an exception against their normal refunding policy. I would if I bought it on steam.

I agree. If enough requests aggregate steam might have them all go through like no man's sky.

I'm going to try later.

Brashnir

Yeah, that was a long time ago. People remember though, because that was some messed up shit. I can't really remember on what the rootkits were delivered, though. Wasn't it just audio CDs? Pretty sure it wasn't software.

This is some messed up shit, too.

Yes, it was audio CDs.

I'm not defending Capcom at all over this whole fiasco, but it's really bugging me that people are still complaining that Capcom is doing stuff like this instead of implementing things like direct input support or other quality. These wouldn't be worked on by the same people. They wouldn't be doing just one thing at a time. That's not how game development works.

I was interested in firing the game, haven't played in like 2 months ... wtf happened in this update. Uninstalled just to be safe, I'll probably reinstall it in season 2. I really want to try the new KoF game, seems interesting.
SFV was my first experience with an online fighter, I now have emotional baggage.

Thanks for sharing the warning!
I thought it was odd that I needed to go through UAC to allow the game to run, but I'd never have imagined that Capcom would actually install a rootkit. I guess I wont be playing SFV until this insanity has been corrected, which is too bad as I was just getting into the game again.

I'm not defending Capcom at all over this whole fiasco, but it's really bugging me that people are still complaining that Capcom is doing stuff like this instead of implementing things like direct input support or other quality. These wouldn't be worked on by the same people. They wouldn't be doing just one thing at a time. That's not how game development works.

I mean, with the way SF5 development has gone it's entirely possible these are the same people. Or person, even. It doesn't seem like a project with a lot of different, experienced coders working on it...

But I think what people are really complaining about is Capcom's priorities. Realistically they didn't sit down and choose to infect all of their PC customers with rootkits instead of finishing DirectInput. But effectively from the perspective of the customer that is exactly what Capcom has done. They've had ages to implement all sorts of basic quality of life improvements that they've ignored, but whenever there's anything that seems to threaten their DLC plans they make it a super priority and get it done. It's insulting when they seem to only care about extracting more money from us.

To be fair this update does actually have some major feature improvements, but put up against including a goddamn rootkit it's hard to feel generous, especially after seven months of waiting for things like Daily Missions and functional stats.

This should have further investigation and then if justified: Steam should at least issue a statement on their guidelines on malware transmissions/definitions and the repercussions for their partners who violate or continue to violate them.

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
They released a signed driver? that runs in kernel mode? running arbitrary code? are you fucking kidding me?

low-G

This should have further investigation and then if justified: Steam should at least issue a statement on their guidelines on malware transmissions/definitions and the repercussions for their partners who violate or continue to violate them.

Steam should absolutely have strict rules against this sort of stuff. If games start packaging malware that will severely harm the marketplace.

M3d10n

Steam should ban games from requesting administrative rights elevation. That's shady as fuck.

Top Bottom