• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom puts anti-cracking rootkit in Street Fighter 5 PC version update

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
IN-DE-STRUCTIBLE

588N5jCh.jpg

Nzyme32

Good that it is rolling back, and at least they were somewhat open about doing it, but the thought process behind this kind of measure to prevent some cheats is just not sound at all. I certainly wouldn't want such a thing on my computer

Kalopsia

Neo Member
Rollback or not, the fact that they even considered doing this in the first place makes it impossible for me to support this company in the future.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I actually uninstalled yesterday but I stupidly waited until the update was done. Guess I have to go dll digging lol

If you didn't run the game, you're fine.

It's if you updated AND ran the game (and allowed the game to run as admin, which it shouldn't EVER need) that you need to go digging for the Capcom.sys file to delete.

So I read the OP but don't 100% get it. From what I can tell, in an effort to stop piracy, they made a backdoor that makes it easier for the USER to get hacked?

If anyone has a better understanding, I'd appreciate the 'for dummies' version.

Brashnir

So I read the OP but don't 100% get it. From what I can tell, in an effort to stop piracy, they made a backdoor that makes it easier for the USER to get hacked?

Not exactly. In an attempt to stop people from exploiting their game, they literally hacked the computer of everyone unlucky enough to download their game's patch and play the game.

MrCarter

I own the game on PS4 but this shit with the PC version is unacceptable. Was waiting to buy the Season Pass on sale, will not be buying anything now.

This game has been anti-consumer as fuck since launch and a massive nickel-and-diming operation to exploit the fanbase. Now they're not just being shoddy, they're being shady. Putting people's systems at risk to protect their over-priced DLC bullshit in their unfinished game... Nope, that's the line.

Hey guys, Guilty Gear Xrd Revelator is on sale for $24 on PS4 this weekend. Good time to jump in, best fighter this gen and cheaper than the SFV season pass.

EDIT: don't care about the rollback, trying to slip that shit by is disrespectful.

The hyperbole is real with this one. I'm pretty sure you weren't buying anything man. You're just jumping on the bandwagon as usual with a hidden agenda. You'd think Capcom did this on purpose going by some posts but they are clearly working on this issue asap. How were they trying to "slip" it by when it was clear they knew they messed up and are fixing the issue? Some of the entitlement from gamers is so fickle it's unbelievable. Xrd made you pay $60 for a second time for a couple new characters and features - not worth it.

Farewell

I saw many pc players online today, does this mean they are screwed? Or is the chance small that anything bad can happen.

TheSeks

in an effort to stop piracy,

It's not an effort to stop piracy. It's an effort to protect their shitty microtransactions since PC players since launch were able to get the colors (by doing survival) with a trainer (or "one round survival mod" to only do one round to finish the levels to unlock the colors quickly) and FM for doing survival easily to where there was no need to throw money at Capcom to unlock them.

Just look at how Capcom solved that complaint: Instead of giving the colors out based on play like Street 4, they put them as a Microtransaction. "Oh you suck at Survival? Pay us $1 each for 3-packs of color unlocks. OH AND THEY DON'T UNLOCK STORY OR DLC COLORS EITHER! PAY US MORE FOR THOSE!"

Hence, this malware to try to get PC folks to pay up.

Capcom is rolling back the security update.

https://twitter.com/StreetFighter

Don't care, the damage is done. Until Capcom outright says they will NEVER do something like this again and their future titles show it, I'm not buying anything from Capcom again.

You'd think Capcom did this on purpose going by some posts.

Except they did. Just look up at how they want to protect their revenue stream instead of actually solving shit PC players have complained about for seven months (no rebindable keyboard, no DirectInput support) in their content patches. Please stop defending Capcom for wanting to install Malware on your PC to try to get you to pay up for shit that shouldn't have to be a grind to get.

mbpm1

I saw many pc players online today, does this mean they are screwed? Or is the chance small that anything bad can happen.

From what I can tell, if someone competent wanted to get in, they could do so without too much trouble due to how matchmaking connects the players.

Which made it all the more pertinent that capcom reverse this, which they are at least doing.

RK9039

I played it because of the update. I play it because of the updates.

Same here, the only reason I had the game installed for this long was because of Urien lol. How was I supposed to know he was bringing a malware with him?

I can't be bothered to re-install it again.

HotHamBoy

The hyperbole is real with this one. I'm pretty sure you weren't buying anything man. You're just jumping on the bandwagon as usual with a hidden agenda. You'd think Capcom did this on purpose going by some posts but they are clearly working on this issue asap. How were they trying to "slip" it by when it was clear they knew they messed up and are fixing the issue? Some of the entitlement from gamers is so fickle it's unbelievable. Xrd made you pay $60 for a second time for a couple new characters and features - not worth it.

You're right. Everything is cool. This is a good product by a good company.

Sorry for being so entitled and vocal on the internet.

If the summary in OP is correct: when this "driver" is active, it basically allows anyone to run anything on kernel rights using an obscure protocol, AND lowers kernel's protection against errors (to allow the first one easily). So, a hacker who knows about this has TWO tools handled to easily jump from malicious userland code (bad application you run, or nice application hacked, like browser or office program typically) into the core of system and do basically anything.

RK9039

I'm confused

So as long as I didn't play it since the update I'm safe?

I couldn't find the Capcom.Sys file in my system32

I think so, some people can't find Capcom.sys even after turning on hidden files, I assume it's because they never launched the game post-update or couldn't launch it. You're probably safe.

He hid it in his thong.

TheRealBulge

Lmao. No wonder they kept that costume hidden from us for so long. They didn't want to expose the real reason behind his thong, and now we are ashamed of our words and deeds.

KDR_11k

Should probably get registered with anti-virus databases as a virus. Also how does installing a root kit like this not create legal liabilities for Capcom? After all trojans don't get away with pointing at the EULA.

vg260

They did implement this on purpose. They even said so, just not exactly what. Users had to investigate to see what the potential harm could be. They should have known better than to do it in the first place. It's careless at best and customer contempt at worst. I don't fault people if this is the breaking point for them.

TheSeks

I'm confused

So as long as I didn't play it since the update I'm safe?

I couldn't find the Capcom.Sys file in my system32

Yes. But make sure you uninstall the game and forget it exists to make sure you don't have that risk ever again.

MrCarter

It's not an effort to stop piracy. It's an effort to protect their shitty microtransactions since PC players since launch were able to get the colors (by doing survival) with a trainer (or "one round survival mod" to only do one round to finish the levels to unlock the colors quickly) and FM for doing survival easily to where there was no need to throw money at Capcom to unlock them.

Just look at how Capcom solved that complaint: Instead of giving the colors out based on play like Street 4, they put them as a Microtransaction. "Oh you suck at Survival? Pay us $1 each for 3-packs of color unlocks. OH AND THEY DON'T UNLOCK STORY OR DLC COLORS EITHER! PAY US MORE FOR THOSE!"

Hence, this malware to try to get PC folks to pay up.

Don't care, the damage is done. Until Capcom outright says they will NEVER do something like this again and their future titles show it, I'm not buying anything from Capcom again.

Except they did. Just look up at how they want to protect their revenue stream instead of actually solving shit PC players have complained about for seven months (no rebindable keyboard, no DirectInput support) in their content patches. Please stop defending Capcom for wanting to install Malware on your PC to try to get you to pay up for shit that shouldn't have to be a grind to get.

What the fuck are you taking about? It's is piracy of you steal something from a game where you are meant to PAY for stuff and use it for your own gain. It's thier revenue stream and why wouldn't any company want to protect that? Also with the this update you can actually buy colours with FM so I'm not sure why you are taking about buying them. Daily/Weeky challenges is also set up to gain you more FM to obtain them.

This whole issue came from certain PC folks hacking the game which led to Capcom developing this anti-crack solution in the first place, it's just they didn't implement it properly and are trying to fix this issue now. I'm not defending them but what I am doing is not acting entitled and thinking logically because this sort of stuff happens with software companies and has happened in the past. If good Capcom have reacted immediately and a fix is coming soon.

TheSeks

What the fuck are you taking about? It's is piracy of you steal something from a game where you are meant to PAY for stuff and use it for your own gain.

Unlocking colors that was done in the previous entry FOR FREE with a non-tedious/input reading method is piracy now, really?

The ONLY things that should be MT's are: Characters, Stages, DLC outfits (things you'd get with a Season Pass). The colors for the outfits, the titles, etc. shouldn't be and should be unlockable (which they are) without BULLSHIT methods of having to do that (read: Trainers because Hard survival reads your inputs around level 20 of 50 stages).

I can't believe there is an actual Delivering-malware-to-users-via-game-patches Defense Force on GAF. Unbelievable.

"But they have to protect their shitty microtransactions from people that didn't want to deal with that shit because SF4 didn't have it, though! What do you mean you have to unlock the colors with 3 levels of AI-input reading!?"

New002

You dont even play the game.

You dont even LIKE the game.

I know this wasn't directed at me obviously, but I play the game, I like the game, I bought the season pass, and this situation is ridiculous. I really do like the game but I don't feel like giving it any more of my time or Capcom any more of my money for this. Speaking in the heat of the moment here, but it really is frustrating. And yes, I'm aware they are rolling it back.

mbpm1

This whole issue came from certain PC folks hacking the game which led to Capcom developing this anti-crack solution in the first place, it's just they didn't implement it properly and are trying to fix this issue now. I'm not defending them but what I am doing is not acting entitled and thinking logically because this sort of stuff happens with software companies and has happened in the past. If good Capcom have reacted immediately and a fix is coming soon.

It's not that they didn't implement it properly. It's that the solution wasn't a solution worth considering, and they should have known that and sought out other, more rational ones.

MrCarter

They did implement this on purpose. They even said so, just not exactly what. Users had to investigate to see what the potential harm could be. They should have known better than to do it in the first place. It's careless at best and customer contempt at worst. I don't fault people if this is the breaking point for them.

I know they implemented it however I don't think they knew themselves the harm this would have on the actual game. It was stupid and very incompetent and I hope they actually have better PC engineers in the future because this is unacceptable.

MrCarter

Unlocking colors that was done in the previous entry FOR FREE with a non-tedious/input reading method is piracy now, really?

The ONLY things that should be MT's are: Characters, Stages, DLC outfits (things you'd get with a Season Pass). The colors for the outfits, the titles, etc. shouldn't be and should be unlockable (which they are) without BULLSHIT methods of having to do that (read: Trainers because Hard survival reads your inputs around level 20 of 50 stages).

"But they have to protect their shitty microtransactions from people that didn't want to deal with that shit because SF4 didn't have it, though! What do you mean you have to unlock the colors with 3 levels of AI-input reading!?"

It doesn't matter about what it was in the previous version, the fact is it's NOT free in this game and in this newest update (if you actually bothered to read or even care about this game) you would have realised you can buy those colour packs for FREE with Fight Money. Daily challenges are also implemented to help on this regard. Stop trying to justify hacking a game regardless of how difficult it might be to obtain that content for some.

Now, I'm not saying Capcom didn't mess up, I think they fucked up big time with this anti-hacking measure but I'm the sort of person who doesn't like to whine over things you can't control and try to move on with things. Capcom messed up, no denying that, but at least they are trying to fix the issue as soon as possible.

McNum

So, if SFV requests admin access to install capcom.sys to your System32, and Capcom is now rolling it back. Doesn't that mean that SFV will have to ask for admin access again to delete it? Because that may not seem entirely trustworthy given recent history. Even if it only does exactly that.

TheSeks

So, if SFV requests admin access to install capcom.sys to your System32, and Capcom is now rolling it back. Doesn't that mean that SFV will have to ask for admin access again to delete it? Because that may not seem entirely trustworthy given recent history. Even if it only does exactly that.

Depends. Right now it asks to do that each bootup to put it in the system32. If they rollback and forget to have a one-time call of deleting it themselves, you'll have to delete it manually.

Mesoian

even if you believe that, the fact that the accidently hacked the computeRd of their users is kind of a lot worse.

I'll try to reword the explanation of this "driver". The key concept to understand is that it doesn't do anti-cheat stuff. Perhaps because cheats will change and they didn't want to change the driver, or perhaps because developing drivers the right way is hard and they didn't want to poke Windows for constant driver changes during development of anti-cheat.

So instead this driver allows programs to temporarily install their own drivers, which can be anti-cheat programs, but which also can be malware like keyloggers and such. It apparently doesn't verify what it runs at all. Whoever allowed this to be distributed either uses some insanely painful security system and assumes everyone does too, or doesn't know/give a shit about security, or had a very bad headache that day.

This assumes disassembly is correct. I don't know much about disassembling so I can't verify it.

One thing that confuses me: is this driver signed by MS? If so, aaaaaaaaaaaa!? If not, doesn't Windows block that? If indirectly, who signed it directly?

Vuze

What the fuck Capcom.
Installing a Rootkit, exposing your paying customers to even more malicious attacks just to block some mods and cheats? Can't make this shit up.

Solrac

this game is a completely mess...sigh, im sure sony is so happy avout it, they invest on two games so far abd they were a failure ( sf5, mans sky)

KingBroly

Banned
I'll try to reword the explanation of this "driver". The key concept to understand is that it doesn't do anti-cheat stuff. Perhaps because cheats will change and they didn't want to change the driver, or perhaps because developing drivers the right way is hard and they didn't want to poke Windows for constant driver changes during development of anti-cheat.

So instead this driver allows programs to temporarily install their own drivers, which can be anti-cheat programs, but which also can be malware like keyloggers and such. It apparently doesn't verify what it runs at all. Whoever allowed this to be distributed either uses some insanely painful security system and assumes everyone does too, or doesn't know/give a shit about security, or had a very bad headache that day.

This assumes disassembly is correct. I don't know much about disassembling so I can't verify it.

One thing that confuses me: is this driver signed by MS? If so, aaaaaaaaaaaa!? If not, doesn't Windows block that? If indirectly, who signed it directly?

Disassembly?

Top Bottom