• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Supast4r

Also my decks:

Modern:
Fully built: merfolk, death and taxes (mono W)
Almost built: bogles, cheerios, esper draw/go, UWR control, B/W martyr proc

Legacy:
Not really built: Merfolk, D&T
Nice I'm building jeskai Nahiri right now.

Modern decks: Grixis midrange/delver, uw flash, UB faeries, esper Geist.

Xis

Thanks guys. Me and a friend will be playing our prerelease decks against each other later this week, and I will make some modifications before then.

Edit: laying my cards out, I think I had a problem with too low a creature count. I had started with 15, but cut the weaker ones, and then ended up with 12, which was marginal for crewing my vehicles, and was missing an end-game plan outside of my two bombs.

Rolfgang

This may get lost in all of the Standard talk, but what decks are you playing in Eternal formats?

I only play Modern, in which I play with BW Eldrazi & Taxes, Mono Green Devotion (Genesis Wave), Living End, Skred Red and BW Tokens. Currently building a Bant Knightfall deck.

Although Living End is on the bench, with all the Dredge running around in my meta. It's terribad against them.

Went 0-3 Drop at the pre-release I attended. I opened what I thought was a pretty good pool for a UWg deck, only to get blown out in Round 1 due to Cultivator of Blades, Round 2 I won a match after stabilizing with the Blue Leviathan but still lost because my deck decided to hate me, and Round 3 my opponent got the literal best UW deck, with 2 Saheeli's token maker, 2 of the Control magic with Energy, etc.

The only good thing that happened at the pre-release for me is that I opened a Gear Hulk and I got a promo Oyiva.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My deck is fine but I'm losing to "lol you drew 3 l lands in 9 turns" followed by "lol you drew 9 lands in 9 turns."

What a fun game this is.

Santiako

This little fucker dominates limited games, specially strong with big vehicles.

Image.ashx

(Eddytrail Hawk)

Nine and a half hours. 7 rounds. Around 60 players (whopping three of which were female. Speaking of gender problem in magic...). Jesus Christ, that was exhausting. I ended up 4-2-1 which was somewhere in the upper third (the friend I was with ended 4-1-2 so our playgroup seems to breed "upper third" players :D). Not bad for my first prerelease I guess.

My two losses were game 2 and 3 and I was prepared to drop at loss 3 (since that wouldn't get you in a price position) but it never happened. I brought snacks as I expected it to go until 6pm at most, but it actually took until 9:30... I'm now hungry as fuck.

Pool had nothing really exciting. Promo was the white boardwipe, which was a little awkward since my pool pushed me heavily into RW Aggro which I ended up building. Price packs had a Saheeli.

A lot of people had white in their decks. Green also was seen a lot. I didn't see a single deck that played blue for more than a splash.

It was certainly an experience but nine and a half fucking hours is a lot of time...

Where do you live? Here the prereleases are just 3 rounds, 7 is insane
Berlin. I guess they wanted enough to have a clear winner and not several guys with the same win lose ratio.

Another store has prerelases limited to 30 players with registration needed, but they have no price structure. Everyone just gets 2 "price" packs. That's not fun. The other ones are on the other side of the city.

Oh, and the format itself is pretty awesome. Admittedly the only other sealed experience was a BFZ box someone from our playgroup bought for himself, so my judgment about what's "good" might be a bit off :D

Violet_0

Banned
so this is my "loot" from 3 pre-release events,except for the red-blue planeswalker which I sold for 15 EUR (maybe a bad call?)

http://i.imgur.com/LAmMCN4.jpg

nothing to get much excited about. Except for the Gearhulk, Copter, promo Concealed Courtyard and perhaps foil Oviya, are there any cards that are or might be worth something?

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
so this is my "loot" from 3 pre-release events,except for the red-blue planeswalker which I sold for 15 EUR (maybe a bad call?)

nothing to get much excited about. Except for the Gearhulk, Copter, promo Concealed Curtyard and perhaps foil Oviya, are there any cards that are or might be worth something?
I would save the Marvel.

nothing to get much excited about. Except for the Gearhulk, Copter, promo Concealed Curtyard and perhaps foil Oviya, are there any cards that are or might be worth something?

Das Marvel. Kommt drauf an wie die Pro Tour läuft. Vllt der 1 drop und die 5/3

I only play Modern, in which I play with BW Eldrazi & Taxes, Mono Green Devotion (Genesis Wave), Living End, Skred Red and BW Tokens. Currently building a Bant Knightfall deck.

Although Living End is on the bench, with all the Dredge running around in my meta. It's terribad against them.

That reminds me that I also have Living End built. It was actually my first Modern deck. I haven't played it in so long, and I'm sure you're right it's pretty bad right now.

I also have Modern Infect nearly complete but I think I'll try and sell most of the pieces since I don't see myself playing it.

Violet_0

Banned
right, looks like I'll hold onto those cards. I think I'll be happier with keeping a small collection than getting a few extra bucks

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Played a two headed prerelease with my brother. We did terribly and opened pretty much nothing aside from a few fastlands. It was very discouraging. One game we lost off an opponent's topdeck, the other we were also a turn away from winning but then we both started drawing lands and they stabilized and took over the game over the next 10 minutes in slow, painful fashion. Just a pretty negative experience all around.

ironmang

Why do I keep running into these Refurbish decks online? Those decks get blown the fuck up by anybody playing blue. Negate is godlike against them.

This may get lost in all of the Standard talk, but what decks are you playing in Eternal formats?

Modern: Jund (with no Grim Flayer) in both paper and MTGO. It's been my favorite deck since the beginning. I've had Pod and Twin built and suffered bannings. Jund takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Jund 'em out. However I've caught the Eldrazi bug so I'm going to go ahead and make that deck in both paper and MTGO but I won't be getting rid of Jund.

Legacy: I have more than one paper Legacy deck, but am looking at building Legacy Eldrazi. On MTGO, I'm undecided but will probably look at a deck to utilize my Goyfs and LotVs as well as Legacy Eldrazi.

Vintage: Colorless Eldrazi (with no Power) once I make the purchase. I'm going to try and learn the format on MTGO and see which deck I'd like to go into, but I'm going to start with the effective Eldrazi.

I'm curious to know what everyone else runs or wants to run, and their opinions of the deck.

Modern: Still only have Affinity after giving up on Tron because of not wanting to buy Groves and it being in such a bad position anyways. Would probably play Bant Eldrazi if I was entering a modern tournament that I wanted to win like a pptq.

Legacy: Reanimator which I've only played once this year. May go to Eternal Weekend depending on who locally goes.

Vintage: I'm poor.

Yeef

So, this format seems a lot faster than I expected, even in sealed. Given the way energy and fabricate work, I'd assumed it would be a more durdly format, but it's incredibly fast. Between vehicles being below curve beaters, haste creatures (there are 5 creatures and 1 vehicle with haste at uncommon or lower rarity) and evasion, games can end fairly quickly. Muc more than SOI and BFZ block, curve seems super important here.

Yeah, that's called a state-based effect, I believe. Once the artifact is gone the game checks immediately and is adjusted accordingly.

EDIT: Actually it's checked when a player has priority.
It's actually a static ability, not a state-based effect. It's constantly checked at all times.

hermit7

Modern: Jund (with no Grim Flayer) in both paper and MTGO. It's been my favorite deck since the beginning. I've had Pod and Twin built and suffered bannings. Jund takes a licking and keeps on ticking. Jund 'em out. However I've caught the Eldrazi bug so I'm going to go ahead and make that deck in both paper and MTGO but I won't be getting rid of Jund.

Legacy: I have more than one paper Legacy deck, but am looking at building Legacy Eldrazi. On MTGO, I'm undecided but will probably look at a deck to utilize my Goyfs and LotVs as well as Legacy Eldrazi.

Vintage: Colorless Eldrazi (with no Power) once I make the purchase. I'm going to try and learn the format on MTGO and see which deck I'd like to go into, but I'm going to start with the effective Eldrazi.

I'm curious to know what everyone else runs or wants to run, and their opinions of the deck.

Modern I play naya burn and have 8 whack which I roll out sometimes. I actually prefer it to burn but it lacks the consistency. Some hands are really explosive winning turn 3, others are removal heavy and I lack the namesake.

Legacy I have death and taxes built out and ready. Need to find a shop that fires weekly more frequently but we have some tournaments around coming up so I will see how I do in those.

Edh I have been playing Marath who is quite nasty if you play Combo. I have some combo and some token synergies but she has been quite fun to play with in my local league.

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218105675]Man you can get Oviyas for under a buck each right now. That's pretty good.[/QUOTE]

Make sure you have "MTG" in the search terms if you don't want to find, Oviya boob and sex show or whatever.

Supast4r

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";218105675]Man you can get Oviyas for under a buck each right now. That's pretty good.[/QUOTE]
Is she a good card? Seemed kinda lackluster

Is she a good card? Seemed kinda lackluster

She's pretty good in a Cryptolith Rite deck because it wants both 1 CMC creatures and mana sinks that create more creatures. She's a little slow but still good enough and the fact that Cryptbreaker dies to Lili and Oviya doesn't is a big distinction.

MrDoctor

man, i'd love to have dragonmaster outcast for my new standard deck if i wasn't certain it'd be removed immediately. so blisterpod it is!

T

Transhuman

Unconfirmed Member
The pictures i've found online don't do Masterpiece Mox Opal justice. I'll take a pic when I get home. Ripped a Chandra, Torch of Defiance in my prerelease pack too.

So what's up with the gearhulks ashodin?
@ White Weenie using the fastlands for... Needle Spires activation in the SB.............??????????????

It's actually a pretty common strategy to beat slower decks bringing in cheap wraths post board. Also there's times where you'd want to go up land but I'd have to play like archangel avacyn in the board for that.

Furthermore, white doesn't have a ton of good sideboard options in standard by itself, so you don't need all the space.

Alright, going into more detail about my prerelease. As I mentioned before, I went 5-1 with a B/R deck. I had a hard time deciding what color to pair with red: white had two copies of Revoke Privileges and had some flying creatures, black had removal and decent low-end creatures, and green had great creatures but no removal at all. Black was the right choice, as certain cards ended up saving my life. The one match I lost was due to mana screw, though admittedly in the first game, a lot of my issues were due to throwing away a starting hand that was color-screwed but had great cards, and then keeping a mulligan hand with just one land.

Black cards:
1x Rush of Vitality - Instant - 1B - This came in later, and I was amazed by how consistently helpful this was. Save a creature, take out a blocker, gain some life.
1x Fretwork Colony - Creature - 1B - Every time I got this out, it was a beast. I sometimes forgot the upkeep trigger, though.
1x Thriving Rats - Creature - 1B - Much more helpful than I would have thought. One time, when I had an Aethertorch Renegade bring 4 energy then die, and I started pumping the rats every attack, I realized what MaRo meant about creating variety of play with energy.
1x Essence Extraction - Instant - 1BB - Saved my life a few times.
1x Foundry Screecher - Creature - 2B - More helpful than I expected.
1x Tidy Conclusion - Instant - 3BB - Only cast this once, but I did gain 3 life that time.
1x Ambitious Aetherborn - Creature - 4B - Only got this out once, and I put the counter on it to force a trade with a big blocker.

Red cards:
1x Chandra's Pyrohelix - Instant - 1R - Mainly used it to deal 2 to a creature, but I did take out two nontoken creatures once with it, and burned someone's last 2 life.
1x Reckless Fireweaver - Creature - 1R - Only got this to ping once or twice per game it came out.
1x Aethertorch Renegade - Creature - 2R - I never got to use the player-hitting ability, due to having so few sources of energy, but the pinging was useful. This is the first time I played in a Limited environment with a pinger that hits creatures, and now I know why Wizards doesn't do them often anymore. Not only do I take out X/1s, but I can change the combat math with blockers and how much damage to worry about from a spell. Plus, the energy it brought could be used in a lot of ways.
1x Pia Nalaar - Creature - 2R - I never used the "can't block" ability, but I used the artifact power boosting much more than I thought I would. I only ever used it on the thopter she brings, though.
1x Salivating Gremlins - Creature - 2R - Usually it just didn't attack, or it attacked once after becoming a 4/3 trampler and died in combat (trading with something).
1x Fateful Showdown - Instant - 2RR - I often found myself unwilling to cast this, either because I didn't want to get rid of a card in my hand or because I didn't have enough cards to actually do any good, but it was always helpful when I did cast it. In one game, I kept passing the turn without playing any cards until I had enough to burn all my opponent's life, and then won. Another time, I used it to take out a creature, then drew a Chandra from the pillage effect. One match, I tried to take out a creature with this, and got a boost spell in response, and I thus conceded. Only after did I realize that I potentially could have drawn another burn spell from the cards I drew. Lesson is, let it play out.
1x Furious Reprisal - Sorcery - 3R - I was often able to find two targets for this, but sometimes, all I could do was hit a creature and my opponent.
1x Skyship Stalker - Creature - 2RR - A 3/3 flying firebreather really is useful. I often got it out with haste, but never with its haste ability, oddly.
1x Spontaneous Artist - Creature - 3R - I almost never used its haste ability on itself, but rather on other creatures, especially vehicles.
1x Chandra, Torch of Defiance - Planeswalker - 2RR - As expected, she was great. Often, I just used her to deal 4 damage to a creature, and she was thus immediately killed, but at least that had the effect of preventing some combat damage to me. I used her top ability twice, dealing damage both times. I used her mana ability once. I never used her ultimate.
1x Wayward Giant - Creature - 4R - Big creature, menace helped sometimes.

Artifacts:
1x Smuggler's Copter - Vehicle - This was a huge help, not just acting as a flying creature, but filtering my cards. First time I used it, I messed up and discarded before I drew a card.
1x Renegade Freighter - Vehicle - Also good, though if I had both vehicles, I favored the copter, unless I was close to winning and damage was more important.
1x Foundry Inspector - Creature - Mainly just crewed vehicles. The cost reduction ability didn't come up much.
1x Weldfast Monitor - Creature - This was a substitute for the red creature that makes creatures unable to block with energy. I had assumed that creature's ability was activated, but no, it was an attack trigger, and the perceived usefulness shot way down. I had concluded I needed more 3 mana creatures anyway, so I went for this. It was alright, I suppose.
1x Multiform Wonder - Creature - This was great, even if it only got to attack once, was blocked, and thus became a 5/1 with lifelink.

Lands:
6x Swamp
11 Mountain
Originally it was 7x Swamp and 10x Mountain, but I found myself drawing more Swamps than I wanted.

Had an absolutely amazing time at the Cardmaster shop in Taipei, the atmosphere was brilliant and I played 3 full prereleases.
Went 3-1 in each of them and got some great cards - foil red gearhulk, foil 5/3 race car, foil Pia Nalaar, etc a couple of cool plays too - red gearhulk hitting opponent for 11 damage with his ability! And my 2 subtle strikes in one turn countered by opponent responding with his own subtle strike!

I wish I could prerelease at that store every time (but I'm on a world trip, I don't live there).

Ashodin

So we'll be opening 46(!) packs next friday

hope for some good stuff

Do you have any stuff from Prereleases GB?

Like from my standard list

oStFTCz.gif

I opened an insane pool for my pre-release:

1x Masterpiece Hangarback Walker (sooo pretty)
2x Verdurous Gearhulk
1x Torrential Gearhulk
1x foil Dovin Baan

By far the nicest sealed pool I've ever opened, and it took me 4-1. My one loss was a lark, which I'd chalk up to mana screw, but I claim little responsibility for my wins, give the great cards. I actually felt guilty one game playing a gearhulk on turn 5, followed up with another gearhulk on turn 6.

I also did a 2-headed with a buddy of mine, but that went poorly. Our decks didn't really harmonize and support each other the way we planned. I think next time we have to plan more for 2-headed games going loooooooong.

Anyways, good times for sure! Nothing better than throwing oneself into a full day of magic and new cards :)

The only not-so-good times came later because my girlfriend was upset about me being MIA for a whole day. Do you guys get that? Does your significant other give you a hard time because you're out playing a card game all day?

MoxManiac

@ White Weenie using the fastlands for... Needle Spires activation in the SB.............??????????????

White humans has been doing that for a while, they just replaced battlefield forge with inspired vantage.

I think some lists actually run some number of bushwhackers, too.

This was my first Pre-Release since ROE. My sealed pulls were really disappointing, since a couple rare lands, and a couple rares that were garbage for limited (I'm looking at *you*, fateful showdown), and zero mythics. I still managed to put together a B/R beatdown deck that went 3-1 almost solely on its flyers and removal. Those Foundry Screechers are the truth. I had three of them in my deck and poked people out. between Subtle Strike, Tidy Conclusion, Harnessed Lightning, Hijack, and Unlicensed Disintegration, I pulled a lot of tricks.

I also had a bye round and went up against someone who had played magic for maybe a month, but hey. Packs are packs.

Angry Grimace

This is not surprising. Actually there has been little talk of bans here in recent times. That's kind of refreshing.

CoCo leaving standard feels like a well-deserved ban though :)
They banned pile shuffling more than once. Really.

So hareruya is holding some M15 forward tourneys.
  • M15
  • Khans of Tarkir
  • Fate Reforged
  • Dragons of Tarkir
  • Magic Origins
  • Battle For Zendikar
  • Oath of the Gatewatch
  • Shadows over Innistrad
  • Eldritch Moon
  • Kaladesh
Sounds like CoCo

Status