• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Violet_0

Banned
Playing on a table without sleeves and a playmat

outside

TRIGGERED

I was gonna ask, should I get a playmat when I only play limited and maybe pick up EDH when the new decks come out? Carrying it around seems bothersome and I don't know how useful they actually are, but they have a Zendikar island one at my store that is pretty affordable and looks nice

Anyone else here play with a fairly competitive Commander group? I'm trying to build some Commander decks outside of my usual combo and aggro builds. Anyone want to add or take anything from this Yasova list? It's hilarious that the colors I have the most trouble building in are Green/Blue.

OnPoint

Sometimes we use playmats at my place because my table gets goofy if it's humid out. I don't prefer them myself but they're aight.

Santiako

Playmats are kind of a necessary evil for me, I don't like carrying one but since I play in a pub, I have to. They do make handling cards easier though.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
My LGS has table sized mats on every table. I haven't used a playmat of my own in a year.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
[QUOTE="God's Beard!";219924263]It's a pretty typical strategy of theirs in general. Just like Back to Nature in M15.[/QUOTE]

I don't know that Enchantments really all that pushed in Theros though. They still haven't printed any graveyard hate for SOI, either.

6LcP9mOkkCqmdXWPUp7TUJKelbTTI.jpg

I assume this shouldn't, by statistical standards, continue to happen to one person, but I am not sure what else to say at this point. I feel like I've had the luck of a monster as of late.

Angry Grimace

I mean, how much product are we talking? I have 0 in 2 boxes.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
1 booster box, 5 sealed events (yeah -- I had just resigned from my job!), 5 drafts.

I've opened a fat pack (10 packs), a prerelease kit (6 packs), and three random boosters, and pulled two Masterpieces (Sword of Light and Shadow and Lightning Greaves). So, one every 9.5 packs. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get very lucky!

Magic Story - In This Very Arena
* On Ravnica, Jace is meeting with Ral Zarek at a Rakdos show.
* Ral still has "Project Lightning Bug" set up without Niv-Mizzet's knowledge, which allows him to keep track of all Planeswalkers on Ravnica. Through this, he was keeping track of Vraska, and noticed that she made an erratic planeswalk, which he believes to have been a planeswalk without a destination set.
* Jace finds this interesting, but then realizes this means Ral has been able to keep track of the destinations of his planeswalks, which he confirms. Note that the project works through rain and fog being used to keep track of someone's position and noting when they suddenly disappear without explanation, so this ability doesn't naturally follow that set-up. This isn't addressed in-universe, so my assumption is that the distortion caused by the planeswalk can be mapped to different destinations.
* Ral assures him that he'll keep his secrets, but points out that there are many who'd love to be Guildpact instead of him, so he should at least put some effort into that.
* They leave the show and Liliana shows up, telling Jace about Tezzeret. Ral is annoyed that he'll have to leave his post as Guildpact again.

* Back on Kaladesh, the heroes leave the prison. As they prepare to search for Pia, they notice banners advertising an arena battle between Pia and Tezzeret.
* It looks like guards are approaching them, but it's actually Jace, Liliana, and Gideon using an illusion.
* Kambal is in Skysovereign. He receives a spy thopter, which stores information as a drum of images on plates. From this, he learns that the Gatewatch noticed the banners, so the trap is set. The narration gets really weird here for some reason.
* Pia is in the same arena from Chandra's origin story when she first planeswalked, which... doesn't seem right. Weren't they in some random village and not an arena? EDIT: Checked, Chandra was captured at the village and then brought back to an arena in the city, so no conflict here.
* Rashimi wins top prize at the Fair. As Pia is brought up to the arena, she notices Rashimi excitedly talking with other inventors, who don't notice as the guards gently separate them from their inventions.
* Pia is pushed into the arena and the quicksmith match against Tezzeret begins. Quicksmith matches involve quickly building machines out of given materials--basically, Sealed. As she looks through her materials, she sees that Tezzeret is already assembling something.
* Pia makes a small thopter, but Tezzeret has created a crawler larger than him--he isn't even pretending to not cheat.
* Tezzeret swats away the thopter and sends the crawler toward Pia. She sends a servo toward it, which the crawler just runs over, but there was a bomb hidden in it, blowing away the crawler's legs. She scavenges parts from the crawler, and sure enough, there were parts she didn't have access so, and even metals she couldn't recognize.
* Regardless, Tezzeret is creating larger machines faster than her (due to his metal-manipulating magic) and she's overwhelmed. Tezzeret is about to strike a fatal blow, but Chandra intervenes.
* Tezzeret summons guards, and Jace breaks the illusion he placed to hide the Gatewatch, and they join the fight. I think it would have made more sense for Jace to keep at least one person a secret, but whatever.

* The audience disperses, though several are shouting pro-renegade cheers.
* As they fight, Jace finds that something is blocking him from reading Tezzeret's mind.
* Skysovereign appears overhead as Tezzeret declares that the Inventors' Fair has ended. He uses a metal platform to rise up to the ship, which then leaves.
* Now we have Cathartic Reunion.
* Saheeli finally appears. She tells Chandra that all the winning inventions have disappeared.

So, we've gotten through all the Kaladesh story beats already. Hopefully we'll get more not-Gatewatch stuff. This story demonstrates that Kaladesh desperately needed at least one story from the perspective of a random renegade and perhaps one from a random consulate guy. We have zero insight as to how the crowd feels about all these events.

red13th

I just realised Smug Cop also lets you bank Goblin Rabblemaster tokens. So many little interactions with that card. In a rakdos/grixis artifact deck you can also crew it with Goblin Welder (or a Daretti token), loot a Myr Battlesphere/Sundering Titan then weld it away. <3 Smuggy

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I've opened a fat pack (10 packs), a prerelease kit (6 packs), and three random boosters, and pulled two Masterpieces (Sword of Light and Shadow and Lightning Greaves). So, one every 9.5 packs. Sometimes you get lucky. Sometimes you get very lucky!

Meanwhile, I have opened 15 packs and still haven't even gotten a single mythic. It's why I have mostly given up opening boosters outside of limited play. Random chance just doesn't like me.

Ashodin

Sounds to me like she either planeswalked wildly away from a threat, perhaps in a battle, or someone cast a spell and made her planeswalk somewhere against her will.
Nah she went to either bolas meditation plane or Amonkhet

We getting the legion of doom now boys

Bolas
Vraska
Garruk
Tezzeret

And more!

Do you think bolas would learn of the Gatewatch and not put together an evil team of teenagers with attitudes?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Meanwhile, I have opened 15 packs and still haven't even gotten a single mythic. It's why I have mostly given up opening boosters outside of limited play. Random chance just doesn't like me.

Kaladesh is particularly bad when it comes to opening boosters for value. I've just got lucky (also opened a Smuggler's Copter, a Nissa, and a Saheeli Rai.)

I open boosters for fun, but long ago recognized it as a losers game. You'll never make your money back. I opened probably 25 packs of EMN, and the best cards I got were Mirrorwing Dragon and Harmless Offering. You win some, you lose some.

Ashodin

It would make absolutely no sense for Vraska to work for Bolas.

Which is why it makes perfect sense!

if she was held against her will on Amonkhet and coerced into working for him

Also for Garruk, Bolas could be like "tons of planeswalkers for you to kill.. I just need you to do one thing for me."

It's not a stretch because Bolas believes everyone has a price.

He's the Million Dollar Dragon, and he's got a money-in-the-bank match ready for the Gatewatch in a fatal four way setup on Amonkhet's Survivor Series.

OnPoint

I think Garruk is operating on his own axis and, as a great hunter, doesn't need Bolas to feed him. In fact, I'd love to see him square off against Bolas.

Vraska, I don't know much about her character.

Tezzeret also seems to have his own plans. Isn't he done with Bolas?

I could see Ashiok signing up but having his or her own designs in the background.

I could see Ob Nixilis maybe paling up with Bolas, using the dragon's great power to increase his own.

Maybe the Raven Man is somehow involved?

Tibalt could... well, he's gotta come back at some point, right?

El Topo

Vaguely? Power. More specifically? No one knows. They need to define that soon though because it's not really interesting in this state any longer.

It's just annoying to have these characters pop up every once in a while, with this aura of power and mystery, without ever specifying anything. Same goes for the Raven Man. I mean, you don't need to reveal everything, but at least give a glimpse of something resembling a motive or plan.

OnPoint

I also wouldn't be surprised if Nahiri was convinced to work with Bolas.

It's just annoying to have these characters pop up every once in a while, with this aura of power and mystery, without ever specifying anything. Same goes for the Raven Man. I mean, you don't need to reveal everything, but at least give a glimpse of something resembling a motive or plan.

I agree with you wholeheartedly. It's really stupid.

Ashodin

The fuck does Bolas even want?

It absolutely drives him mad that he does not have the same power he once had before the mending, and other planeswalkers could conceivably be on the same "level" as him.

Also cards be SPIKIN' this week

je9mbI5.gif

EAi5FDr.gif

I honestly think that Metallurgic Summonings will be a deck at the PT.

The fuck does Bolas even want?
The question everyone has been asking since Zendikar.

I'm personally of the belief that Bolas arranged for Sarkhan, Jace, and Chandra to all be at the Eye so the Eldrazi would be released with no Ugin to seal them back in. Either Zendikar would be eaten, allowing for him to absorb energy from it's destruction like a Reverse Conflux, or the Eldrazi would be killed/significantly weakened to the point where their occupied space in the Blind Eternities was empty. Then use something(NeoPhyrexians+ Rashmi's teleporter) in conjunction with the weakened Blind Eternities to unleash Phyrexia on a plane(Dominaria perhaps, as both the centre of the Multiversity and the Only place that managed to repel the Phyrexians) as a sign of what is in store for those that oppose him. He forces the Walkers of each world to accept him as the Ultimate Power. If the Conflux plan had succeeded, then great, he's able to ignore the Phyrexians and just use himself.

Ashodin

why you are watching twoo videos is the real question.

it comes up in my feed, he talks about WR Vehicles... I'm curious

I don't even mind Bolas all that much, but what the hell is the deal with the Raven Man?

Still holding to the theory it's time spiral shifted evil Urza. Good Mishra came through (see Mishra, Artificer Prodigy) why not evil Urza?

He found a way to stay around after the multiverse fixed itself by attaching himself to Liliana's spark or some shit is my guess.

The Chain Veil is his goal to empty her body and allow him to take it over or something. He's entirely in her head without a physical form, which is why Jace can only be the one who sees him.

Angry Grimace

By the way, the actual deck that Chandra is good in is a ramp deck. She's over-performing in my RG Energy/Marvel deck. I'm getting to hardcast Emrakul off of Chandra on Turn 5.

Angry Grimace

Ashodin

It's interesting how there's creatureless decks coming up (yours is basically creatureless: everything else does the work until the creatures are the finisher), what with Temur Summonings and your deck.

It's interesting how there's creatureless decks coming up (yours is basically creatureless: everything else does the work until the creatures are the finisher), what with Temur Summonings and your deck.

Which is why I wonder why seth put caravans in there, it can't be crew'd until he has 8 mana or a turn after he hits 5.
Corrupted grafstone would accelerate him much faster since the deck doesn't struggle putting things in the yard.

Ashodin

Which is why I wonder why seth put caravans in there, it can't be crew'd until he has 8 mana or a turn after he hits 5.
Corrupted grafstone would accelerate him much faster since the deck doesn't struggle putting things in the yard.

I think the reasoning in the article was that you can drop a two mana instant (with a 2/2) and pilot the Caravan as a 5/5.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom