• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Magic: the Gathering |OT9| Kaladesh - Cruisin' Down the Street in my 6/4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeef

2. Outside of the Mountain accidentally included in Arabian Nights, Felidar Soverign and Dragonspeaker Shaman in Battle for Zendikar and the entirety of the Timeshifted sheet in Time Spiral, they never re-use art in expansion sets. If they were reprinting this card, it would need new art.
They do actually reuse art now that there's no core sets. Though, not much.

200.jpg
161.jpg
106.jpg
206.jpg
47.jpg

I can see that someone has never played with or against Mom. That card is fucking absurd.
At worst, Mother of Runes is a 1/1 flagbearer for 1.

If Mother of Runes sticks, she completely invalidates spot removal, combat damage, and makes things unblockable, for zero additional mana investment.

That's a problem. She turns off all the answers. And the blockers.

She turns off one color of blocker or one colour of removal spells. She doesn't turn off all, not by a long shot.

Mother of Runes, aside from them completely turning away from "protection" as a keyword, is completely overpowered. I don't even know why this is a debate.
Again, I keep on hearing all this "She's overpowered" levied at Mom, but the times I've played Legacy D&T she hasn't felt that way.

I don't understand your line of argument here. So you're arguing that this card that is played in Legacy that is quite good against removal, will be worse in formats where there is way more removal for it to blank? Sure, there is a higher chance she gets killed while summoning sick, but there's also a significantly higher portion of decks that she is amazing against when she sticks. It'd be even better in those formats then it is in Legacy.

More removal= greater chance of her getting killed before she can do anything. Adding to this, she also gets hit by basically every spell Jund plays in Modern, and in Standard there's enough Artifact Tokens running around that she couldn't do Jack about.

Also, what does it matter if there's more removal running around? That doesn't change the fact that, at very best, you're probably using a 2 mana removal on a 1 drop and quite likely you're getting at least 2 for 1ed by said 1 drop.

Correct, but that's more about the fact that removal in Standard has gone to piss all in recent rotations. MoR does Jack all against Languish/Wraths

Again, I have played with MoR. She's good, but she's not that good. She's not too strong for a standard full of artifacts and Eldrazi with minimal removal, both of which she can't stop. She's not too strong for modern, where Affinity gives no fucks, Infect gives no fucks, Jund cares little for a 1/1 that they'll either take with thoughtsieze, kill with bolt, or some combination.

Hero

Legacy has some of the most busted shit combos that can kill you. Mom doesn't do crap against SnT Emmy or Grisel or Belcher or Miracles. She would be ridiculously overpowered in modern.

hermit7

Legacy has some of the most busted shit combos that can kill you. Mom doesn't do crap against SnT Emmy or Grisel or Belcher or Miracles. She would be ridiculously overpowered in modern.

There is a reason though that she is one of the mainstays though. She is quite versatile and can protect against the lifegajn by giving a Serra avenger or flickerwisp pro black.

What actually does help against belcher aside from force turn 1?

She is great and ultimately far too strong for modern/standard but that's because there is a deck that uses her to her potential. I am not sure if there would be a similar deck in modern that has that capability. (Mainly due to the strong amount of spot removal -- path and bolt being the most obvious examples). Alternatively there are no "free" counters so she might be much better turn 1

My main reason for wanting her in Modern is because as I've said multiple times, I enjoy playing White as a color in Modern, but it's by far the weakest color. None of the big white cards that have they pushed in the past years have made the impact that other other colours have gotten in terms of main deckable archetype aiding/defining cards. Modern Burn has 2 of it's iconics since Theros, Black got Kalitas, Green's gotten Eldritch Evolution/Collected Company, Blue has gotten Dig and Cruise, White has.. maybe Brimaz/Gideon, but when those aren't that played compared to the others. Heck, even Colourless got the entire Eldrazi OGW Suite to mess around with.

I know, I know, I'm the only one who cares about White in Modern. Ashodin has his Equipment love, I just enjoy white ever since KTK Theros Standard with UW Heroic.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
What about a lower power version of Mom?

Stepmom
W
Creature — Human Cleric

When ~ enters the battlefield, choose a color.

T: Give target creature protection from the chosen color until end of turn.

1/2

Still too strong?

kirblar

Stepmom
W
Creature — Human Cleric

1/2

Still too strong?
Ya. The 0 mana cost to activate thing is ridiculous.

bigkrev

Stepmom
W
Creature — Human Cleric

1/2

Still too strong?

In game 2, this is probably better than Mom. That 1 toughness extra means a lot, and usually you only need to shut one color down anyway. Its unplayable G1T1 unless you scouted your opponent though. That aspect alone probably would prevent a card like this from being printed because of how it encourages you to scout

Your analysis of white is incorrect and especially of MoM.

How is white being the worst color in Modern something that is incorrect?

Anafenza is a start, but it's not really on par. It made one deck popular for about 2 months before vanishing because Dredge became big and all the hate for Dredge hurts it as well.

Like, when I'm thinking of cards that define a color, I'm thinking that it's something that it's something that's become a staple of the format since Theros. Red has Monastery Swiftspear, Eidolon of the Great Revel. Black has Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. Green has Collected Company. Blue has Dig/Cruise(While they're banned, they did define a period in Modern). White has maybe Anafenza, and even then I'm not sure Anafenza is fundamentally better then Melira in the deck.

Hero

White literally has the best sideboard cards in Modern. There's almost no mono colored decks besides burn so I'm not sure why you're hung up on that. It's not like there's mono-black decks running around rampant.

Being good at sideboarding is hardly an excuse for White sucking in Modern. Even with sideboard cards, from earlier in the Thread White had 3 Cards in the top 50 played cards in Modern. Blue had 6, red had 9, Black 11, Green 12, Colorless was 13. That's including sideboard cards, not excluding it.

There's plenty of one color modern decks. Elves is Mono-green in about half of the decklists, Burn can be Mono Red, Merfolk is Mono-Blue. All of these are tier 1/2 on average.

The best deck in Modern right now is Bant Eldrazi, a white deck

No, the best deck is Dredge in Modern. Far and away, it's Dredge. Furthermore, Bant Eldrazi is "White" basically for Displacer and Path. It relies a lot more on Colourless then White.

I'm not seeing where it's this big taboo in Modern/Standard, which are literally full of removal/answers.

This is the exact same format of argument that people use to say that Counterspell or Tarmogoyf or freaking Yawgmoth's Will wouldn't be too good in standard, it is basically never true.

This is the exact same format of argument that people use to say that Counterspell or Tarmogoyf or freaking Yawgmoth's Will wouldn't be too good in standard, it is basically never true.

I think there's a pretty big difference between Mother of Runes might be fine for standard and Goyf/Counterspell/Yawgmoth's Will though. MoR, even with this thread basically unifying in calling me crazy for thinking it's not that strong, isn't a 2 Mana "Counter Anything"(which Wizards has deemed as "UNFAIR" because new players don't like counters), The definitive creature in Magic History, or Yawgmoth's Will.

I get the point though, apparently I'm an idiot for suggesting that maybe this card with Egyptian Inspired art and flavor that fits what we know about the Egyptian-Inspired plane. I'm also an idiot because clearly White is not the worst color in Modern, despite it having 3 cards in the top 50 cards in Modern the last time I checked(It's 6 now, still the lowest), one of which is bloody Finks. Clearly, there's nothing wrong with a 5 color system where at least one color is severally lacking compared to the rest, that's why BFZ was such a great draft format. It's also why red was such a great color during SOI standard.

The point is, in an ideal format, you wouldn't have such a lopsided color pie as you do in Modern with White(Where even if I try to point out that it's weak I'm automatically told on both here and other places "Well they have the best sideboard" as if my numbers don't include sideboard cards) or as you did in SoI Standard when Red was virtually unplayable(from the start of the format, the only decks performing well and running red were Ramp decks, and those died off around June from what I'm seeing).

Anafenza is a start, but it's not really on par. It made one deck popular for about 2 months before vanishing because Dredge became big and all the hate for Dredge hurts it as well.

Like, when I'm thinking of cards that define a color, I'm thinking that it's something that it's something that's become a staple of the format since Theros. Red has Monastery Swiftspear, Eidolon of the Great Revel. Black has Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet. Green has Collected Company. Blue has Dig/Cruise(While they're banned, they did define a period in Modern). White has maybe Anafenza, and even then I'm not sure Anafenza is fundamentally better then Melira in the deck.

So Dig and Cruise defined modern and got banned, Anafenza defined modern for a time and doesn't count, that's just your bias speaking.
Kalitas is great but he's not setting the world on fire, he's one option for the 4 Slot in Jund and nothing more.

Blue is the worst colour in modern going by your arguments.

So Dig and Cruise defined modern and got banned, Anafenza defined modern for a time and doesn't count, that's just your bias speaking.
Kalitas is great but he's not setting the world on fire, he's one option for the 4 Slot in Jund and nothing more.

Blue is the worst colour in modern going by your arguments.
It's not just defining, it's also how much that color is played in the top 50 cards. Blue, as of my original rant on this a week ago, had 2x the cards that White did( 6 blue to White's 3). Anafenza never really defined modern in the way that Cruise/Dig did.

Cruise had burn players splashing blue because "Hey, I get to draw 3". Swiftspear has solidified itself in Burn and was part of what makes Kamikazoo work. Collected Company made Podless Pod an actual deck, allowed for Elves to exist as a deck, gave us a semi-viable Slivers/Ally deck, etc. Kalitas seems to have become the top end for BGx(The stable rock of the format), as he's basically edged out Chandra, Huntmaster, Tasigur, and Pia and Kiran Nalaar. He's also been seeing play in Mardu/Grixis/Abzan. Kalitas is lifegain+Gravehate+ Token Generation+ a clock.

So yes, I'm sorry that I don't view Anafenza Kin-Tree Spirit, a card that is used in one deck as a backup Melira, as on par with a card that had people splash to play it, a card that has become a staple in one of the aggressive decks in the format that is always tier 1, a card that enabled so many archetypes that previously weren't consistant, and a card that is basically everything Black could want out of a 4 mana creature.

OnPoint

Counterspell - Would need a Cavern reprint alongside it, still too strong

Tarmogoyf - Would need a lot of graveyard hate in the format, likely still too strong

Yawgmoth's Will - Would need a format of bad spells, too strong, but we're getting there

I get the point though, apparently I'm an idiot for suggesting that maybe this card with Egyptian Inspired art and flavor that fits what we know about the Egyptian-Inspired plane.

Not saying you're an idiot. I am saying that there's a pretty widespread pattern of different people looking at really powerful cards from past environments in a vacuum and assuming they would be just fine in Standard and I think it's extremely rare for those to prove accurate. I think the usual way these play out is that a card would fall in a spot where it could be "dealt with" (beaten by removal or otherwise hemmed in during specific matchups) but is still so good that it's one of or the most defining element of the metagame as decks shift around its presence -- I think you'd see this kind of effect with MoR as it'd provide so much momentum to white creature decks that a lot of their natural predators would get suppressed.

"Runes" as a word specifically cuts a bit in a different direction, but I can certainly imagine a Masterpiece theme for Amonkhet that would include a card like this.

OnPoint

"Runes" as a word specifically cuts a bit in a different direction, but I can certainly imagine a Masterpiece theme for Amonkhet that would include a card like this.

They've done lands and artifacts, creatures would be a good one to do next. They could make Mother of Runes, Stoneforge Mystic, Tarmogoyf, True-Name, Voice of Resurgence, etc, work with this as an idea.

Joe Molotov

Magic formats typically only have changes to the banned and restricted lists with each of the four major set releases each year. However, since Pauper is only a format on Magic Online, we have the ability to more quickly make changes in ways that affect all players since the legality of changes can be universally enforced. This differs greatly from the paper game, and this change should not be considered typical.

I don't get this. I mean, there will probably be some initial confusion when Timmy brings his JTMS deck to next FNM and oops it's banned now, but it's not like the Internet is some mysterious place that no one knows about so how will anyone find out about emergency bans??? You're not sending carrier pigeons to announce the banned list.

bigkrev

I don't get this. I mean, there will probably be some initial confusion when Timmy brings his JTMS deck to next FNM and oops it's banned now, but it's not like the Internet is some mysterious place that no one knows about so how will anyone find out about emergency bans??? You're not sending carrier pigeons to announce the banned list.

If they announced tomorrow that Smugglers Copter was banned and blasted the hell out of it online/twitter/bought TV ads/billboards/ ect, it's still possible tha someone shows up to FNM with the card

On MTGO, it will literally be impossible to enter a match/event with the card in your deck

It's not just defining, it's also how much that color is played in the top 50 cards. Blue, as of my original rant on this a week ago, had 2x the cards that White did( 6 blue to White's 3). Anafenza never really defined modern in the way that Cruise/Dig did.

Cruise had burn players splashing blue because "Hey, I get to draw 3". Swiftspear has solidified itself in Burn and was part of what makes Kamikazoo work. Collected Company made Podless Pod an actual deck, allowed for Elves to exist as a deck, gave us a semi-viable Slivers/Ally deck, etc. Kalitas seems to have become the top end for BGx(The stable rock of the format), as he's basically edged out Chandra, Huntmaster, Tasigur, and Pia and Kiran Nalaar. He's also been seeing play in Mardu/Grixis/Abzan. Kalitas is lifegain+Gravehate+ Token Generation+ a clock.

So yes, I'm sorry that I don't view Anafenza Kin-Tree Spirit, a card that is used in one deck as a backup Melira, as on par with a card that had people splash to play it, a card that has become a staple in one of the aggressive decks in the format that is always tier 1, a card that enabled so many archetypes that previously weren't consistant, and a card that is basically everything Black could want out of a 4 mana creature.
Kalitas is in no way on the same level as any of those cards. Kalitas is great but it's also fairly fair compared, he's not even deckdefining.
Anafenza was one of the cornerpieces to the top deck of the format for a couple of months.

Looking at the top 50 cards and among those 6 blue cards are Git Probe, Narcomoebia and Prized Amalgam. You don't even need to play blue to use them, in fact Dredge plays a singleton Steam Vents for 8 of those.

kirblar

The same reason they don't want to ban obvious stuff like SSG that blatantly shouldn't be there- it destroys people's decks/investments, even if it's a bad deck like Ad Nauseum.

Firemind

They couldn't even reprint Lightning Strike, Thought Scour or Serum Visions. Too good they said. /proceed to print collected company, reflector mage and spell queller

OnPoint

They couldn't even reprint Lightning Strike, Thought Scour or Serum Visions. Too good they said. /proceed to print collected company, reflector mage and spell queller

Spell that does damage, spell that gets cards, spell that gets cards

vs

Spell that gets creatures, creature with spell stapled to it, creature with spell stapled to it

It's indicative of their current design philosophies.

Kalitas is in no way on the same level as any of those cards. Kalitas is great but it's also fairly fair compared, he's not even deckdefining.
Anafenza was one of the cornerpieces to the top deck of the format for a couple of months.

Looking at the top 50 cards and among those 6 blue cards are Git Probe, Narcomoebia and Prized Amalgam. You don't even need to play blue to use them, in fact Dredge plays a singleton Steam Vents for 8 of those.

You don't need White to cast Finks, and if we discount those Dredge/Phyrexians cards they're both at 5 playable cards. The difference is that Blue "sucking" still has access to Snapcaster,Serum Visions, Blighted Agent, and spell Pierce, all of which can be seen in mainboards of different decks, on top of Mono- Blue Merfolk existing. White has Path as all of it's maindeck single color spells in that top 50.

Firemind

[QUOTE="God's Beard!";222778983]Masticore?[/QUOTE]
That actually would have been a pretty cool reprint in Kaladesh. Missed opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom