• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PC performance thread

dcx4610

Has anyone found a way to get the game to recognize the Xbox One S controller over Bluetooth? It works in every other game but WD2.

Megasoum

Banned
It's a good thing I don't care about the multiplayer cause I get an error message about the stupid anti-cheat program not working 50% of the time I boot the game.

dc3k

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz, G1 GTX 1080 stock, 8GB RAM. Getting an average of 50ish FPS at very high settings, sometimes dropping to 40 (Near Coit Tower I noticed this a lot)

I want to try this temporal filtering thing, but I don't see anywhere to turn it on.

^okay, after getting that turned on, I'm still getting awful framerates at times. Mostly while driving.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
^okay, after getting that turned on, I'm still getting awful framerates at times. Mostly while driving.

8GB RAM is on the low side:

wd2_ram2.png

Kadayi

Banned
Finding this BSOD my rig with stop watchdog timeout errors after a few minutes...I'm thinking my aged PSU is perhaps the issue (which is getting replaced), but I'm not even beyond the opening tutorial area.

Vuze

Only weird thing I've noticed is small black bars in the left and right side of the screen during cutscenes. It's fine in game. Anyone else?
Same here. You play on a TV by chance?

Finding this BSOD my rig with stop watchdog timeout errors after a few minutes...I'm thinking my aged PSU is perhaps the issue (which is getting replaced), but I'm not even beyond the opening tutorial area.
If you haven't encountered this in any other game / use scenario, it's the game. Multiple reports in this thread about BSODs.

Kadayi

Banned
If you haven't encountered this in any other game / use scenario, it's the game. Multiple reports in this thread about BSODs.

No doubt, but I've had the odd crash of late in other demanding games and I think the PSU is the culprit as I just don't think it can deliver the juice it used to when required (it's about 6 years old now).

Vuze

No doubt, but I've had the odd crash of late in other demanding games and I think the PSU is the culprit as I just don't think it can deliver the juice it used to when required (it's about 6 years old now).
Ah yeah, in that case it might very well be the culprit. I had a similar issue with hard crashes once and swapping the PSU fixed it. Thing is, I never suspected it until the PSU fan acted up and I had replaced basically everything else. Was just over a year old.
Sad but true, my brother had the same bequiet model and his PSU (as well as my replacement of the same model I gave to him) failed within a year too with similar symptoms. Not buying from that brand ever again.

Anyway, I just got another session in and it's running great now on my end. No more explorer freezes, no crashes. Disabled the anticheat tool but curiously enough people still seem to join your "lobby" but then get disconnected. Atleast I had such a message tonight.

Kadayi

Banned
Ah yeah, in that case it might very well be the culprit. I had a similar issue with hard crashes once and swapping the PSU fixed it. Thing is, I never suspected it until the PSU fan acted up and I had replaced basically everything else. Was just over a year old.
Sad but true, my brother had the same bequiet model and his PSU (as well as my replacement of the same model I gave to him) failed within a year too with similar symptoms. Not buying from that brand ever again.

I'm hoping it's just the PSU. I've ordered a decent replacement, but I could do without further expenditure at this time of year.

Megasoum

Banned
WTF is up with that weird skybox texture bug? Sometime the skybox (especially during cutscenes) looks like some weird textures. Almost look like if the monitor has some burn-in image?

jackft

Neo Member
Only weird thing I've noticed is small black bars in the left and right side of the screen during cutscenes. It's fine in game. Anyone else?
Vuze and Evo x, do you have a Bad aspect ratio while playing? Is the icon on bottom right à perfect circle ?

Sky87

Anyway, I just got another session in and it's running great now on my end. No more explorer freezes, no crashes. Disabled the anticheat tool but curiously enough people still seem to join your "lobby" but then get disconnected. Atleast I had such a message tonight.

By ''explorer freezes'', do you mean this issue? http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1526711-Windows-not-working-properly-after-exiting-Watch-Dogs-2

There's a known issue with the game messing up Windows where it's impossible to open new programs, task manager etc. Only solution is to hard-restart. It has only happened once to me in ~20-25 hours though, thankfully.

There are also other known issues i've seen on their forum where firing your gun sometimes makes the display driver crash. Weird shit like this is hard to grasp.

http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/1526620-game-crashing-whenever-you-kill-someone-with-a-gun?p=12088244

Guffers

I've bought this after seeing that my ageing 780 is in the recommended spec range. I also have a 4670k at 4.4 and 8 gig of RAM.

Is anyone running this on an older card like mine? I don't care if I have to lock it at 30, all I really want is a console beating (Perhaps not PS4 Pro) experience.

For 1080 am I looking at medium/high settings? Or am I delusional...

How would this run on an i5-6600k/1070 with 16 RAM at 1440p?

Should I just buy this on PS4?

I share the same specs.

Ive found in the ultra preset I get mostly locked 60 fps at 1080p, with dips into the 50s while driving, or in areas with tons of shadows.

I've found that dropping shadows to very high and screen space reflections to very high makes the drops very rare.

I would imagine at 1400p you might need to drop a few more settings, but you should be able to get close to a locked 60 with some dips. Every system is experiencing the dips right now and it appears to be an engine issue.

Vuze

Vuze and Evo x, do you have a Bad aspect ratio while playing? Is the icon on bottom right à perfect circle ?
Yeah it's fine during gameplay, same as Evo. Sony X800D
Yes, I am playing on a 4K LG C6 OLED.

No, it is fine during gameplay. Only happens in cutscenes.
Interesting, might be a TV issue then. I remember dark souls 2 also had a weird bug at launch where it wouldn't display on "TVs" at all.
It's no biggie, just a little weird.

if you arent manually oced its highly unlikely to be your gpu statistically. and this is a ubisoft game so its probably just more issues with their engine

I've only seen that sort of thing when taking photos using the in-game camera. Screenshots and video taken through other means all look fine and I never see that stuff as I'm playing normally.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
if you arent manually oced its highly unlikely to be your gpu statistically. and this is a ubisoft game so its probably just more issues with their engine

I think it's a bizarre bug related to how the game simulates sudden stark differences in lighting conditions (e.g. when exiting long tunnels).

Having a few minor issues with performance. There's just *something* going on I can't quite ascertain.

Essentially, no matter what I do, my Framerate can't maintain a solid 60 FPS.

i5-4670K
16GB RAM
GTX 1070

Having it on Recommended (which is essentially Ultra with Nvidia gameworks off) gives me about 45-60 FPS, usually averaging around 50ish.

But strangely having everything set on the lowest settings possible *still* has dips to the mid-40s when driving around.

Should I look into a new CPU, or what?

tioslash

Having a few minor issues with performance. There's just *something* going on I can't quite ascertain.

Essentially, no matter what I do, my Framerate can't maintain a solid 60 FPS.

i5-4670K
16GB RAM
GTX 1070

Having it on Recommended (which is essentially Ultra with Nvidia gameworks off) gives me about 45-60 FPS, usually averaging around 50ish.

But strangely having everything set on the lowest settings possible *still* has dips to the mid-40s when driving around.

Should I look into a new CPU, or what?

I´m in the same situation. I have the same CPU but a GTX 970 instead and I´m playing on Very High instead of Ultra, but still, it gives me around 45-60fps averaging 50 or so.

No matter how far I overclock the CPU ( I´ve actually pushed it to 4.9Ghz and it still gives the exact same FPS. Lowering all settings also gives me these fps drops, so I would say that a new CPU would most likely help us here.

Jeffrey

I recall having framerate issues with Syndicate and Unity as well.

You definitely need the latest everything to get 60fps for ubisoft open world this gen...

How was far cry 4 on pc?

Mifec

Friend gave me a card key.

Without going through the whole thread, if I want 1440/60 on an oc-ed 1080 and 3570k @4.6ghz what settings should I turn down?

Anyone got a primer on what's fucked?

Friend gave me a card key.

Without going through the whole thread, if I want 1440/60 on an oc-ed 1080 and 3570k @4.6ghz what settings should I turn down?

Anyone got a primer on what's fucked?

Impossible. You will have drops below 60 on the lowest possible settings

Jeffrey

30fps feels awful though. If you have a gsync, game is fine for me averaging around 45-80 fps depending on location.

It's a fairly slow pace game anyways,

Evo X

Maybe you should try this fix :
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=806615157

For my part, I had vertical black bars AND and a small aspect ratio issue during gameplay too. This link resolved both issues for me.
(I have LG 4K TV)

Oh man, thank you so much!

This fixed the issue and also gave me the added benefit of proper Nvidia DSR support with this TV.

That old 4096x2160 resolution was causing all sorts of issues.

J_Viper

I share the same specs.

Ive found in the ultra preset I get mostly locked 60 fps at 1080p, with dips into the 50s while driving, or in areas with tons of shadows.

I've found that dropping shadows to very high and screen space reflections to very high makes the drops very rare.

I would imagine at 1400p you might need to drop a few more settings, but you should be able to get close to a locked 60 with some dips. Every system is experiencing the dips right now and it appears to be an engine issue.

Thanks for the info

Whenever I get around to playing this, I might just stick the the High setting then, hopefully they should keep the frame-rate steady.

Top Bottom