• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PC performance thread

ISee

whats your cpu?

feels like if you don't have the latest greatest cpus, you are shit outta luck even with 1080's.

6700k @ 4.5
But the difference between a 4770k and a 6700k isn't that huge... I really don't think it's that in his case. Not with drops to the 40s.

brau

I'm happy with it. Sure not as sharp or crisp but colour and contrast takes a big hit for me if I drop res to 1080p for example. Not too sure why. And as TA gives me 20+fps back it's fine for me.

I should try this mix, as i have the same GPU, even tho my CPU is a bit lower than yours but still an i7. Having a 4k display i think i could benefit from the extra pixels.

temporal filtering giving you a good quality image at 4k?

At my res temporal filtering gives me between 80-90 fps in most cases but it looks pretty bad especially when you pan your camera. Decided to settle for 60fps and thou not as smooth it is certainly better. 3440 x 1440 isn't exactly 4k yet so that helps with performance too.

having looked at both, I think 4k w/ temporal filtering looks a good bit better than 1080p w/ txaa

I have everything on the ultra defaults. only I've bumped the ambient occlusion up to HBAO+

I'm able to maintain 60 fps pretty much at all times except for occasional drops while driving and high foliage areas.. though the lowest drop I've seen was to 55 and that was when looking at a high foliage area.

Pretty happy with how it looks and how it runs.

specs-

i7 6700k @ 4.6Ghz
16GB DDR4
Titan XP
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive

I sit about 5 ft away from a 65" 4K OLED. If I was looking at a monitor a few inches from my face, I might have a different preference..

brau

At my res temporal filtering gives me between 80-90 fps in most cases but it looks pretty bad especially when you pan your camera. Decided to settle for 60fps and thou not as smooth it is certainly better. 3440 x 1440 isn't exactly 4k yet so that helps with performance too.

In my 4k display in this game i am actually going down to 1080p and still very happy wiht the image quality on ultra. Just gotta figure out the best settings to get rid of the drops to 50s. But if i can get on a gtx1080 to do 4k at a higher settings i might spring for that.

having looked at both, I think 4k w/ temporal filtering looks a good bit better than 1080p w/ txaa

I have everything on the ultra defaults. only I've bumped the ambient occlusion up to HBAO+

I'm able to maintain 60 fps pretty much at all times except for occasional drops while driving and high foliage areas.. though the lowest drop I've seen was to 55 and that was when looking at a high foliage area.

Pretty happy with how it looks and how it runs.

specs-

i7 6700k @ 4.6Ghz
16GB DDR4
Titan XP
Samsung 950 Pro NVMe drive

I sit about 5 ft away from a 65" 4K OLED. If I was looking at a monitor a few inches from my face, I might have a different preference..
I am guessing it's similar at 1080p with fxaa?

If so that is abysmal performance on a freaking Titan XP...

6700k @ 4.5
But the difference between a 4770k and a 6700k isn't that huge... I really don't think it's that in his case. Not with drops to the 40s.

Skylake is around 10-15% faster clock for clock, 4.5/3.5 is 28% so maybe a difference of 30-40% from a stock clocked i7 4770K to an OC'd i7 6700K. That's an incredible amount of CPU power just to run the game at 60 fps.

Faster ram also helps to increase the performance in CPU bound scenarios too.

Had to lock this POS PC version to 30FPS.

Yesterday I could run it at 50-60FPS in cities. Now I can't get over 40-45FPS. And even then it's fluctuating. It's absolutely terrible. No matter what I choose the difference between all settings seems to be just 2FPS. Max. Even running it at a much lower resolution doesn't result in much. I've literally done everything possible, but no dice.

I don't expect miracles but I do expect newer games to run at solid 60FPS considering my videocard (I don't expect to run everything on Ultra, but AT LEAST High settings). This is just poorly, very poorly optimized.

i7-4770K 3,50Ghz
16GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW
Installed on my SSD
Latest Nvidia drivers
Acer XB270HU (2560x1440)

Edit: before anyone asks. Yes, I've checked the settings from the Nvidia guide but it doesn't do much.

You must be CPU bound.

If that's the case then the CPU side of this game could do with a lot of performance optimizations, it appears to consuming a lot of CPU power and is scaling poorly.

What's the clock-speed of your ram? I run 2400MHz ram with my i7 4790K and I got a huge boost in performance over my 1333MHz memory, somewhere around 20% in CPU bound games like GTA V.

I am guessing it's similar at 1080p with fxaa?

If so that is abysmal performance on a freaking Titan XP...

Pretty sure it's a higher resolution than 1080p. 1080p native runs better, but it doesn't look as good as 4k w/ temporal filtering w/ my setup.

If I were to run native 1080p w/ 2x txaa it breaks 100 fps on ultra settings, but it looks noticeably worse.

elelunicy

How is SLI going for you guys and girls? I am playing on an overclocked i7 4770k@4,4 ghz with 2 titan x pascals over a SLI HB-bridge. With the latest nvidia-drivers the gpu - usage is quite bad, like around 50% for each gpu at 4k ultra settings.
My GPU usage is over 90% on both (in demanding scenarios; quite a bit lower when it's an indoor scene or something) so the scaling is pretty good. I only play at locked 30fps tho so there's absolutely no CPU bottleneck which might explain the better scaling.

I played it for several hours earlier today without crashing or anything but the poor old overclocked to 4.5GHz 2500K is gettin' murdered with all four cores frequently at 100% utilization trying to keep 60FPS (capped with RTSS) regardless of usual CPU heavy things like shadows being at ultra or low, even after turning everything to low, utilization was still in the 70%-80% range IIRC. I might try capping at 30 and see what happens.

I played it for several hours earlier today without crashing or anything but the poor old overclocked to 4.5GHz 2500K is gettin' murdered with all four cores frequently at 100% utilization trying to keep 60FPS (capped with RTSS) regardless of usual CPU heavy things like shadows being at ultra or low, even after turning everything to low, utilization was still in the 70%-80% range IIRC. I might try capping at 30 and see what happens.

What GPU?

Have you tried reducing the number of pre rendered frames to 1 in your GPU options in order to reduce load on CPU?

Worked great on BF1 pre patch

Megasoum

Banned
I can't get the game to lock at 30fps for some reason... I tried Sparse Vsync in game, I tries 1/2 Refresh rate vsync in NVIDIA Panel and Inspector and finally I added the exe to RIVA tuner and capped it at 30 in there but the game is still uncapped.

dr_rus

I can't get the game to lock at 30fps for some reason... I tried Sparse Vsync in game, I tries 1/2 Refresh rate vsync in NVIDIA Panel and Inspector and finally I added the exe to RIVA tuner and capped it at 30 in there but the game is still uncapped.

Running exclusive fullscreen or borderless?

Anyone have an early-ish save game? I think I just fucked myself and forgot to do a hard backup before I tinkered. I was around the New Dawn quest...

Aretak

But the difference between a 4770k and a 6700k isn't that huge...
True in general, but some games really seem to enjoy both the architectural improvements and uptick in memory bandwidth. Pegging a 6700K and 4790K level at 4.4GHz, Digital Foundry observed larger differences than you'd expect in some games, mainly of the open world variety. Both GTA V and Far Cry 4 saw a 17% performance boost from Haswell to Skylake, along with a general improvement in minimum framerates and frametimes across the board, something which is more important than averages.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sx1kLGVAF0

Compared to a stock 4770K, the difference would obviously be even larger.

ISee

True in general, but some games really seem to enjoy both the architectural improvements and uptick in memory bandwidth. Pegging a 6700K and 4790K level at 4.4GHz, Digital Foundry observed larger differences than you'd expect in some games, mainly of the open world variety. Both GTA V and Far Cry 4 saw a 17% performance boost from Haswell to Skylake, along with a general improvement in minimum framerates and frametimes across the board, something which is more important than averages.

Not going to argue with that, but a 4770k (even at stock 3.9ghz boost) is an excellent cpu for gaming. It's premium priced because intel can do whatever it wants atm, but it is still powerful. Being CPU limited with drops to 40s because of a 4770 is insane in my eyes.

deejay

I know the feeling. Third day I played around with settings testing out different ideas. But I think I finally found the perfect match between performance, IQ and settings for me to reach 1440p/60 on my 1070 (95% of the time, if I get a drop to 55 for one or two seconds I really don't care).
Maybe give my settings at least a try. And I know it's with temporal reconstruction, but 1.25 pixel density helps to bring IQ to a good level (imo). On your 1080 you should even be able to set shadows to ultra or turn on SSR to v.high (whatever you prefer).

https://youtu.be/Bs41d5b0GXE
1440p/60 should be available once YT finishes processing.

edit:
suddenly reaching 40-45fps... check your temperatures while gaming. Maybe something is throttling down.

Have tried out your settings but no dice. However, after checking for Malware (and removing some) and temporarily disabling my NOD32 anti-virus the game seems to be working normally again. Not sure what it was exactly, but I hope the problem is now solved.

Edit; might have been an update?

ISee

Have tried out your settings but no dice. However, after checking for Malware (and removing some) and temporarily disabling my NOD32 anti-virus the game seems to be working normally again. Not sure what it was exactly, but I hope the problem is now solved.

Edit; might have been an update?

Good news.
Just in case try disabling the anti cheat tool too (if you don't care for MP of course). Frame times seem to be better without it for me, but maybe it's placebo.

The 4770K is at a pretty big disadvantage here due to the ram their using, I believe they used 1600MHz or 1866MHz ram in their testing for the Haswell CPU, and 2666MHz memory for the Skylake CPU.

How I know this is because I remember reading and watching the 6700K review, and also the 2500K article.

I noticed that the results of the 3770K was higher in the 2500K article when they paired it with faster ram, so they had to be using 1600 or 1866MHz memory in the 6700K review for all of the DDR3 processors.

Is it finally time to upgrade your Core i5 2500K? (Featuring 3770K with 2133MHz and 2400MHz memory)
Intel Skylake: Core i7 6700K review (Featuring a comparision with the 2600K, 3770K and 4770K/4790K)

I've tested this game quite a lot and with faster memory the minimums see a huge leap on DDR3 processors, as shown in their testing.

On my 1333MHz memory set with my 4790K I would see dips below 46 fps, and with 2400MHz memory it stays above 60 fps, the performance leap was incredible!

Jumpman

For those of you who are unhappy with the image quality, or just have performance to spare and want things to look better: I've found that using the overrides in the Nvidia control panel give a good result with much less performance impact than the in game MSAA/TXAA.

8xAA, AA on transparencies, 16xAF, high quality texture filtering etc.

Combine with SMAA to further reduce shimmer and you've got a result that looks pretty good. Jaggies don't completely go away but they rarely do.

For those of you who are unhappy with the image quality, or just have performance to spare and want things to look better: I've found that using the overrides in the Nvidia control panel give a good result with much less performance impact than the in game MSAA/TXAA.

8xAA, AA on transparencies, 16xAF, high quality texture filtering etc.

Combine with SMAA to further reduce shimmer and you've got a result that looks pretty good. Jaggies don't completely go away but they rarely do.

probably because its not doing anything(the aa i mean). if 8xaa isnt destroying your framerate, even moreso with transparency aa, its because its not working properly

What GPU?

Have you tried reducing the number of pre rendered frames to 1 in your GPU options in order to reduce load on CPU?

Worked great on BF1 pre patch

1070 at 2113MHz and 1 is already the default. It's just that the game hits CPUs hard and a 2500K has been showing its age on top of whatever else (be it the anti-cheat junk or just poor CPU optimization) is causing even newer i5s and even i7s to struggle.

I did a clean reinstall of the latest drivers, gonna see how this patch affects things in a bit. I'm starting to think those minimum and recommended specs were targeting 30FPS.

Jeffrey

i've still not seen anyone in this thread with anything below a 6700k getting consistent over 60fps?

for some reason increasing pixel density helped out with the feel of the game for me even though framerate lowered a bit?

comrade

i've still not seen anyone in this thread with anything below a 6700k getting consistent over 60fps?

for some reason increasing pixel density helped out with the feel of the game for me even though framerate lowered a bit?

I have a 4690k & 980ti and am 95% over 60fps. I have Fog turned off with a mix of ultra/very high settings and temporal filtering turned on.

Sky87

Do we know what the patch did?

http://watchdogs.ubisoft.com/watchdogs/en-GB/news/detail.aspx?c=tcm:154-277658-16&ct=tcm:148-76770-32

Today we have just pushed Title Update 1.06.135.3 for PC to the live environment to fix top known issues that have been identified since launch. This Title Update is now available to PC players.

This PC patch has the same fixes as the patch 1.06 for PS4 and Xbox One with a couple more fixes that are PC-specific. These two additional fixes are:

• Improved stability on AMD Crossfire systems – This patch fixes instability on Crossfire systems (AMD dual GPU systems).

• Fixed Donut NPCs Glitch – After downloading this patch, PC players will no longer see hilarious hordes of Donut people roaming the streets. Only a regular number of Donut people should now be seen on the streets.

This patch also has the same fixes as the latest console patch:

Online Performance

• [Performance] Game Crashing – This patch will have various crash fixes for a smoother gameplay experience.

• [Online & Multiplayer] Seamless Online – Players should now experience improved reliability of seamless online and matchmaking through the Multiplayer App.

• [Multiplayer] Activity Frequency – This patch fixes the issue of the cooldown resetting after a player dies while being the target of a hack during Online Invasions. Players should now experience regular cooldown times and a normal frequency of getting hacked during their gameplay.

• [Online Invasions] Target Detecting Hackers through walls using NetHack – Some players reported being able to detect Hackers through walls using NetHack during Online Invasions. This bug is fixed in this patch.

We hope you're having fun playing Watch Dogs 2. We’ve been loving seeing all the screenshots, selfies, and videos you’ve been sharing. So keep sharing all that great stuff with us on Twitter @watchdogsgame and the Watch Dogs subreddit.

Should you encounter any issues, please do not hesitate to check the Known Issues List, and report them in this forum section if they are not listed there. We appreciate you taking the time to help us improve the game.

Wow, the ghosting with Temporal Filtering on and lower frame rate and maybe with some other setting(s) mixed with it is rough.

That's not a whole lot of fixes, had hoped at the very least the issues with the anti-cheat junk preventing BT connected controllers from working would be fixed but that's probably on the makers of it.

Jeffrey

I have a 4690k & 980ti and am 95% over 60fps. I have Fog turned off with a mix of ultra/very high settings and temporal filtering turned on.

interesting. is this at 1440p or 1080p?

Think the more im playing the game the better I have a feeling where the framerate chugs the most, which imo seems to be a round the board game shop/headquarters.

comrade

interesting. is this at 1440p or 1080p?

Think the more im playing the game the better I have a feeling where the framerate chugs the most, which imo seems to be a round the board game shop/headquarters.

btw: about how much more game do I have left? I think i did most of the side stuff I've seen so far and I just finished infiltrating
home 2.0 hq

Which btw: was a terrible mission lol. I went up the windows cleaner and back down in the middle... failed like 4 times before I eventually just called gangs to distract the guards. Felt like I missed some obvious 'stealth' path or something, or that mission just sucks :/

This is at 1440p. Also forgot to mention my CPU is clocked at 4.4ghz.

jorimt

probably because its not doing anything(the aa i mean). if 8xaa isnt destroying your framerate, even moreso with transparency aa, its because its not working properly

Or the game is forward rendered.
(Which isn't the case here as far as I can tell)

Unless the game in question is ancient, If the game's profile doesn't have an existing "Antialiasing compatibility" bit, AA overrides in the control panel won't work period.

I took a look, and the game's profile doesn't have one:

957ad9c091b35a9660f5a83078749f3e.png

The only way control panel AA settings may have an affect in this game currently, is if you use "Enhanced the application" setting with the game's existing MSAA active.

Is the game even more shimmering now after the patch or it's just me?

Ultra settings, Temporal Filtering on.
1080p, 1.25 pixel density.

Before I can tolerate almost everything, except the trees. Now everything seems blurry and shimmering as fuck, especially when driving.

Checked settings, nothing is changed, etc.

Is the game even more shimmering now after the patch or it's just me?

Ultra settings, Temporal Filtering on.
1080p, 1.25 pixel density.

Before I can tolerate almost everything, except the trees. Now everything seems blurry and shimmering as fuck, especially when driving.

Checked settings, nothing is changed, etc.

I was wondering what was wrong with me that I was only starting to notice it now. Turns out nothing.

I can't notice the difference with temporal filtering. I should have had it on from the start, since it basically gives me a locked 60 at 1440p. Looks very good in motion.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
can we use rivatuner yet? i can't seem to find the 6.3.0 version download. i'm on 6.5.1. i really want to see what kind of temps/usage i'm getting.

ISee

can we use rivatuner yet? i can't seem to find the 6.3.0 version download. i'm on 6.5.1. i really want to see what kind of temps/usage i'm getting.

You have to deactivate the anticheat software for that (disables MP).

OP said:
Disable the game's anti-cheat system by launching it with the command -eac_launcher. (Credit to PHOENIXZERO.)

Jumpman

You're certainly right. Eye's play tricks when you've been up all night (doing...things). I'll try not to post in that condition again. I don't want to mislead people lol. :/

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
there is an option to set launch arguments for uplay as well, not just steam. Don't need to make a shortcut.

Ah, right. I'll update the OP later on, when I'm back at my PC and can fiddle with Uplay.

Edit: Err, I actually read about that just a couple of days ago only to complete forget about it, haha. Oops.

Has anyone encountered the dense fog that was shown in the nvidia video of watch dogs 2? I've been playing for 10 hours now and never seen it. Saw some generic looking fog but thats about it. Didnt look very special. The setting is enabled.

Has anyone encountered the dense fog that was shown in the nvidia video of watch dogs 2? I've been playing for 10 hours now and never seen it. Saw some generic looking fog but thats about it. Didnt look very special. The setting is enabled.

Every time I've been inside fog (usually when going along one of the bridges) I try toggling the setting but there's never any difference in looks or performance.

Top Bottom