• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch Dogs 2 PC performance thread

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
watch-dogs-2-reflections-performance.png

watch-dogs-2-shadows-performance.png

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/watch-dogs-2-graphics-and-performance-guide

Hmm, so shadows are a bigger hit

Lowering them is always my go to move, since I never seem to notice any difference

the high end shadows are nice.. but I don't notice the improvement over Ultra enough to make it worth the performance cost.

I anxiously await the day when gpus are powerful enough to use these shadowing techniques without ruining the framerate..

Durante

Something I noticed on PS4 Pro is that the resolution is no where near the 1800p quality often mentioned in places like DF. That might be the output resolution but in action the resolution looked like 900p-1080p with some sort of soft AA. It was a good end result but I've been much more impressed with the IQ of other PS4 Pro games.
It could well be "1800p" with the same temporal filtering method (or something very similar to it in principle) available on PC. So actually rendering at 900p with some MSAA samples.

Jumpman

It could well be "1800p" with the same temporal filtering method (or something very similar to it in principle) available on PC. So actually rendering at 900p with some MSAA samples.

This was my assumption. The PS4 Pro upscaling looks ok with WD2 but the baseline res before scaling seems lower than in other Pro games. And the scaling result doesn't come as clean as the PC image at 1440p with temporal scaling. So there's some confusion about the two methods at play for me.

If the PC TF starts with 1280x720p image before scaling to 1440p as some have suggested I would be shocked (it looks too close to real 1440p). And I certainly wouldn't believe the PS4 Pro has a pre-scaling resolution above what the PC is doing to reach 1440p with TF. Not based on what my eyes are seeing.

I'd love some clarity from someone with first hand knowledge of what Ubi is doing for each version.

dr_rus

God dammit. It's the second game for this Autumn which cannot be activated from Russian IPs if it's bought in Europe (for approx twice more money that is). There's even Russian localization in that European version present.

The fuck is going on recently with such stupid regional restrictions? A new generation of gaming publishing managers just got promoted out of McDonalds or something? Seriously annoying.

ISee

These are the settings I'll be keeping from now on (with my pc specs) I am getting a rather solid 60fps. There is some stuttering/framerate drops still but not as bad as before. I used the nvidia guide to check out what each setting looks like and I am quite happy with how the game looks. Really happy with the visuals/performance now. Time to get my teeth into the game now :)

VF2JoDu.jpg

I have the same setup (but a native 1440p screen) and so far I can go way higher than this. Granted it's just 70 FOV but maybe give it a try.

Settings said:

Uncompressed 1440p PNG

https://youtu.be/ik2wOBlSzb0

knerl

The performance in this game is pretty bad considering the poor image quality. GTX 1070, 6700K user here. Aliasing is horrible and every AA implementation is ineffective or extremely expensive.

dr_rus

Well, I've played through the initial training mission and I got to say that:

A. Temporal Filtering by itself is complete crap and in no way can it substitute native rendering wrt IQ. It introduces tons of easily visible stair case artifacts and aliasing.

B. With that being said though I feel that going with 1.25 pixel density _with_ Temporal Filtering and SMAA is probably the better option than playing in native with SMAA only. Performance is pretty close (SS+TA option seems a bit faster even) and SS+SMAA provide a much better overall AA than SMAA only in native res.

But I got to get to the city, maybe it'll all be different there.

brau

Finally sorted the game out. It runs and on first test and the initial tutorial level i could run this at 1080p, everything cranked out to 11 and still get a solid 60fps. I was very pleased. Then comes the open world and for the most part, if i don't look towards the ocean and the city line on the distance i would get a solid 60. Once i look at distance the distance detail at 100 dropped my fps to the 40s. Driving also drops me to 45s. Not bad tho.

I brought down the Extra details from 100% to 0%. Looking over at the distance on its own at 30% would keep a steady 60. but once i started to drive i would get dips on 50s.

I also played with the shadows a bit. Kept them on ultra and kept a good fps overall. Tried the fancy 2 settings and i didn't really notice the difference yet. But it was night time in the game.

Overall, i think im pretty pleased with the performance of the game. I didn't notice any jittery or stutters apart from the apparent frame drops, but im sure i can find a good settings mix that gives me a steady 60. The game really does look good. So vibrant looking and smooth.

I'll start to go back to some of the other settings people are sharing and try some of those.

still haven't seen anyone from Ubisoft say anything about the broken Twitch Hoodie DLC (files missing from the Steam version that the Uplay version has) and the broken Private Eye Pack DLC (might be broken for everyone no matter the version)

I keep looking on the Steam forums and nothing and tried asking Ubisoft support with nothing to show for it

TheRed

Game is so weird. I think it looks amazing and bad at the same time. Way too demanding and the aliasing is pretty bad.

Jeffrey

yeah we still aren't at the infamous watchdogs e3 trailer levels yet.

And imo i think games like sleeping dogs does wet night roads better still.

Think its mostly due to art direction than tech though?

But I never lived in san francisco, does the game do a good job at 'feeling' like over there in terms of lighting?

noomi

So how about that fog that has been shown in the nvidia trailer last week, is it as awesome as they showed?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I would imagine Launch Arguments in properties on Uplay since the game is launching through it.

Steam's own launch options function is fine. Uplay's may not even work as Steam doesn't load Uplay but rather the game's own executable with the -uplay_steam_mode command, and, as odd as this sounds, it's not actually possible to launch the Steam version of a Uplay game from Uplay directly (it will instead redirect the action to Steam).

Consensus on the game ready Nvidia drivers?

They're completely safe to use if that's what you're asking.

Jeffrey

it's weird the game doesn't offer 30hz option in the settings. Just 'half refresh rate', which doesn't do much when im on a 144hz monitor especially when i struggle to hit 50s in the city lol

Vuze

it's weird the game doesn't offer 30hz option in the settings. Just 'half refresh rate', which doesn't do much when im on a 144hz monitor especially when i struggle to hit 50s in the city lol
You should be able to lock it to 30 though. There's a seperate refresh rate setting.

ISee

what was the hit on your fps? and what kind of rig do you have if you were able to keep a steady 60 on it.

6700k @ 4.5ghz
16gb ddr4 3066
1070 @ 2050 core clock / 9540 mhz memory

Very short, raw YT video with performance and settings (1440p).

Sorry, don't know about the hit on fps, because I play with vsync on. Maybe it dropped down to 58fps for a second or so. Maybe because I was trying to record it (didn't work for whatever reason).

Another open-world game PC port that takes an inordinate amount of power to hit 60fps. Toss it on the pile with the rest.

It's really not that bad.
If you're willing to turn screen space reflections off and turn down shadows a bit then it's actually quiet doable to hit native resolutions on high-ultra settings.

tioslash

Well, I've played through the initial training mission and I got to say that:

A. Temporal Filtering by itself is complete crap and in no way can it substitute native rendering wrt IQ. It introduces tons of easily visible stair case artifacts and aliasing.

B. With that being said though I feel that going with 1.25 pixel density _with_ Temporal Filtering and SMAA is probably the better option than playing in native with SMAA only. Performance is pretty close (SS+TA option seems a bit faster even) and SS+SMAA provide a much better overall AA than SMAA only in native res.

But I got to get to the city, maybe it'll all be different there.

I´ve tested now with these settings (1.25 pixel density and Temporal Filtering ON) and I agree, it seems the better option. Well, at least here, since I´m using a 970 and it is hard to hit a locked 60@1080p at reasonable settings, but with the higher pixel density + TF the game looks nice and it seems to run 99%´of the time at 60fps, even in the city. The only severe drops I had was when going in/out of that x-ray vision and during night time, but still, it seems fine.

This game is lacking one big detail that really annoys me. When you walk or drive over sand it doesn't leave footprints or tire marks. And I really wish I could zoom in the camera because I don't feel as immersed in the game world as I did in WD1.

And those screen space reflections are so blurry and shimmery looking. Am I crazy or did they look better in the first game?

brau

This game is lacking one big detail that really annoys me. When you walk or drive over sand it doesn't leave footprints or tire marks. And I really wish I could zoom in the camera because I don't feel as immersed in the game world as I did in WD1.

And those screen space reflections are so blurry and shimmery looking. Am I crazy or did they look better in the first game?

At least when you shoot at the dirt it'll leave a mark and poof of dirt. Unlike the 1st one haha.

At least when you shoot at the dirt it'll leave a mark and poof of dirt. Unlike the 1st one haha.

Yeah I noticed that when I was getting chased by those damn helicopters and they kept missing their sniper shots. But now that I think about it it does leave a mark when you walk in the sand. I think it's the same bullet hole texture from you shoot it. Also, when you fall from a large height with the jumper, Marcus yells like he hurt himself.

jchung55

Anyone with a 980 have any luck getting it to run at a relatively stable 60? I've seen people say they can but I can't seem to get it to run decently.

Jeffrey

that feeling when w_d 2 doesn't run amazing, best wait for a patch... and ff15 runs kinda terrible on ps4p, best wait for a patch as well!

Enclose

anyone with an older cpu like me (3570k) have any success getting the game over 60fps in the dense city areas?

U cant run the game with stable 60fps all the time. You will have drops to 40-45 when u drive around no matter which settings. Got the same cpu and gpu.

sertopico

It's the fifth time I am forced to reset my PC because of this goddamned CPU throttling bug which occurs when I quit the game... Are they at least aware of this issue?

Vitor711

Hmm, so shadows are a bigger hit

Lowering them is always my go to move, since I never seem to notice any difference

No they are not - turn off Screen Spaced Reflections entirely and the boost is INSANE. Easily the first setting to disable completely (along with MSAA) to see a huge FPS gain.

brau

No they are not - turn off Screen Spaced Reflections entirely and the boost is INSANE. Easily the first setting to disable completely (along with MSAA) to see a huge FPS gain.

Thats a good call. They look so good tho. I might turn them to high and see if i can keep the locked 60fps.

golem

anyone with an older cpu like me (3570k) have any success getting the game over 60fps in the dense city areas?

I have a 3770 at 4.6 and its rough going. Can get upper 50s but in the city 60 is tough to manage pretty much regardless of video settings. Getting 80+ indoors easily. Considering a cpu upgrade at this point

So this happened:

watchdogs2_errorlzs2x.jpg

Translation:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.

Stop code: KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

Error source: EasyAntiCheat.sys

Really, Ubisoft?

Software versions and specs:

Nvidia driver 376.09
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

4790K @ 4.6 GHz
32 GB RAM @ 2400 MHz
980Ti @ 1220 MHz

This occured when I tried to use nvidia DSR.

Will test now if this still happens when I turn off DSR.

Edit: Nope, works fine with DSR off. This sucks.

Gemüsepizza;225729507 said:
So this happened:

Translation:

Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you.

Really, Ubisoft?

Nvidia driver 376.09
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

4790K @ 4.6 GHz
32 GB RAM @ 2400 MHz
980Ti @ 1220 MHz

usually its a cpu stability problem. source easyanticheat is lol

Gemüsepizza;225729507 said:
So this happened:

Translation:

Really, Ubisoft?

Nvidia driver 376.09
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

4790K @ 4.6 GHz
32 GB RAM @ 2400 MHz
980Ti @ 1220 MHz

Edit: Nope, works fine with DSR off. This sucks.

Welcome to the club!

Well, mine didn't say it was from EAC but I'm pretty sure it was due to conflicting with it. Either way it was from the game.

jorimt

So road reflections under rain conditions are barely noticeable now. Ok.

I agree, they are pretty where they work (on roads), but not so pretty in other instances (car tops, for one, not to mention the shader aliasing SSR introduces; post-process TAA where are you?).

If I could afford SSR, I'd max it out. But I think what the others are saying here is that, despite what it adds visually, SSR in its current implementation isn't worth the performance hit.

Top Bottom