• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love great controls, give me recommendations

Might be worth looking into ReCore:

Was gonna mention Recore but it's already been done and OP doesn't have a good enough PC to play it :(

Shame as for all its faults, and there are more than a couple, the controls are absolutely fantastic. Every time I failed a jump I knew it was 100% my fault and that's extremely rare when it comes to 3D platforming.

giphy.gif

So good. Shame about the horrendous grinding needed to finish the game because the actual platforming is as good as it gets.

I'm actually pretty forgiving in that regard, but I'm definitely pretty sad about the general reception to the game.

Seems to have come up in the 'worst game of 2016' thread, but notably also here and here, in the 'favorite game of 2016' thread.

In any case, I definitely agree that the game's development/release could have been handled better.

Donos

Playing Titanfall 2 Singleplayer atm and it has really tight controls. Was the first thing i noticed. Infamous 2 on PS3 was a joy to play because how it controlled. Don't know anbout Second Son on PS4 since i haven't played it so far.

Quake 3 and Unreal Tournament are both known for their very good controls.

arigato

Keep an eye out for NieR: Automata then if you love great controls. I read their developement blogs and they really emphasize heavily on the game feeling good to play.

Mephala

I'm sure many will disagree but I think Monster Hunter 4 U has fantastic controls that are a bit tied down by the controller or lack there of in the 3DS.

Overwatch's controls customisation is absolutely amazing and should be held to a gold standard for others to imitate and learn from. The game allows you to adjust settings per character and many options for toggles/hold or auto wall climbs etc. Every time I play a FPS on console since I wish I could rebind all the controls to suit my needs. Especially recently in Titanfall where I want different controls per Titan.

Splatoon made the controls in traditional dual-stick shooters like Ratchet and Clank's feel sluggish. Splatoon sets the bar very high for TPS's and even FPS's. The way you shoot and traverse are implemented exceptionally well. I think it can compete with KB & M controls.

Mario Kart 8, Daytona USA and Outrun 2 have drifting controls perfected in different ways.

Sin & Punishment: Star Successor on Wii is also perfect.

If you like 2D, I also recommend Odin Sphere: Leifthrasir.

EDIT: Stay away from The Last Guardian.

Cartho

Another vote for MGS V in the TPS section. Utterly sublime animation and controls.

I feel like Titanfall 2 controls absolutely beautifully for a FPS as well. Lightning quick response time, simple movement controls which offer a lot of depth and possibilities and super snappy gunplay.

Castef

Banned
I think you should give the two Splosion Man games a try. I think they nailed the control scheme.
Also, in recent times I was very, very pleasantly surprised by ReCore control set, very well done.

In addition: Titanfall and Titanfall 2. You can't go much better right now with a FPS control scheme.

Greddleok

Professes to love great controls. Didn't like MGSV.

Dunno OP, it's like saying you love platformers and hating Super Mario World.

I'm going to make an "out there" pick.

Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate.

This may seem counter intuitive, as many say the controls are terrible, but they're all wrong. It controls like a dream, you just have to understand the controls first. They are designed for Monster Hunter. The moment you try to play Monster Hunter like another game, you'll fail. It' not another game. It's Monster Hunter.

Some of the best controls I've ever seen in a game. Highly recommend it.

Naked Lunch

Virtua Fighter 4/5
Halo 5
Vanquish
Sin and Punishment

I feel one with the characters in these games - with enough depth to have a play style all your own and room to get creative.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
It's too bad you can't check out ReCore. First game that came to mind. The controls are so satisfying and precise. Some of the harder platform sections are made pretty easy because the double jump/boost combo gives you a lot to maneuver with.

Alpha_eX

Grapple in Titanfall 2 is a pure joy once you nail it, especially if you have a pad with paddles on the back. Shame you can use them infinitely.

DarkTom

Ratchet and clank.

I made this thread partly because I was not enjoying the game that much because of its unprecise controls and my struggle with the camera so I can't agree with this one.

Greddleok said:
Professes to love great controls. Didn't like MGSV.

Like I said I played only one hour of GZ and was totally lost and frusrated, I could give Phantom Pain another chance if it's not too stealth-heavy.

takriel said:
You might want to try out OoT 3D, MM 3D and ALBW if you haven't already, OP.

I played OOT on N64 and a bit of MM3D. They are good but not amazing control-wise in my opinion. In terms of 3D Zelda Wind Waker was better I think.
I haven't played ALBW and I can see it having very good controls because ALTTP is great for that.

Greddleok

MGSV is stealth heavy. You can play it like a TPS, but it misses all the best parts of the game.

I would also say Mark of the Ninja and Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory are other games that control beautifully, but alas, they're also a stealth games.
There's definitely a trend of stealth games living and dying by their controls.

I agree with Rocket League!

Racing: Trackmania Nations forever (it's free, too!)
Shmup: Dodonpachi Ressurection (So smooth and direct. It's on steam)
Action: Metroid Prime Gamecube version!!! The Wii version is on the other end of the spectrum.

For me, perfect control is usually only achieved in 2D games. 3D games have too much leeway for animations and are less exact by the own nature of a 3D world.

Recent games with perfect controls that come to mind include Spelunky, Super Meat Boy, Shovel Knight, and Enter the Gungeon.

tkscz

No Mention of Megaman X and X2 yet? Slipping GAF, you're slipping. X1 and 2 had such tight controls and the dashing mechanic just adding to what was already perfect. Not sure why the PS1 games (4-6) felt so slippery. X3's level design felt off.

Also the Conduit for the Wii. May not have been the greatest FPS around but it really showed how good pointer controls can be when you are allowed to tweak the shit out of them.

DOOM (2016) just feels right. Everything from running, to jumping to climbing feels good in DOOM.

13ruce

Banned
Metroid Prime Trilogy.
The motion controls are so on point in these games. All three games are masterpieces to booth yeah even Prime 3.

DarkTom

DarkTom, have you played Sin and Punishment 2 on Wii? I note you said you are not that good at shmups but still listed Blazing Star so I think you might be ok.

It uses the wii remote and nunchuk. Here's the opening level:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yIHhGA9HpI

Yeah I played the first few levels and it feeled great but the difficulty was a bit too high for me or I haven't been dedicated enough. I'm always reluctant to play in easy mode but maybe I should in this one.

No way. The GCN version is great, but the Wii version is also great. Just different. The controls on the Wii really fit with the game.

I think turning is broken, at least in MP1. I hated it, really. Cool for everyone who has no problems with it, though.

Uncharted 4. Amazingly weighty and satisfying animations combined with responsiveness and precision. Nothing feels better than leaping, throwing into a rope swing at just the right time, then jumping off to superman punch some dude and spinning around to shoot some other guy. Even just jogging around out of combat feels so good.

Titanfall 2 is amazing as well. Wall running, slide hoping, ridiculous melee hit that 1 hit KO's enemies and sends them flying...so good.

Since bloodborne has been mentioned a Few times already I wanna add ssx 3 to the list of God damn satisfying controls in games. Also this is a hidden cry for a long overdue remaster of the game for my waiting ps4.

Top Bottom