• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love great controls, give me recommendations

DarkTom

Hi gaffers.

One of the thing that can make me appreciate or hate a game is its controls. There are some games that win my love almost solely with their fun and intuitive controls like Super Mario 64 or Tomb Raider 2013. On the contrary, some games considered by most people great are unbearable to me because of clunky or frustrating controls like MGS3, RE4 or... Tomb raider, the original.

Here are some games in several genres that I praise the controls, please give me your picks and recommendations !

2D platformer : Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze. You feel the weight of DK in your hands, the inertia is amazing.
3D platformer : Super Mario 64. The moveset is way more than you need, and that's the beauty of it. You have a full set of possibilities when facing an obstacle. I haven't seen a game like this since.
FPS : Halo. The game that standarized the dual-analog FPS controls and nailed it from the get-go.
TPS : Tomb Raider 2013. I usually have troubles with TPS, especially the camera. Lara was such a pleasure to control, always doing what I wanted. It made me enjoying it more than Uncharted because of that, even with the bigger graphisms and story for U4.
JRPG : Final Fantasy X (except the minigames...). Menus and combat system are awesome.
Sports game : Rocket League. You're always improving in controlling your car. First the jumps, then the aim, then the air play, then the wall play, and so on and so on. What a wonderful game.
Shoot'em up : Blazing Star. I'm not a shmup guy that much, but I like this one.
Fighting game : Tatsunoko vs Capcom. The fighting game where my special moves are the most securely executed. No frustration even for casual like me.
2D Beat'em all : Final Fight 3. For a 2D beat'em all, you have a lot of special moves and tricks, some are in the instruction book, but there are also some secret techniques and it's so fun to find with a friend how to do them.
2D Action game : Super Castlevania IV. That 8-direction whip is something. Controls are a bit rigid but totally fair.
Party game : Wii Sports Resort. The motion+ really shines in the tennis table and archery games. Great times with those.
3D Beat'em all : Wonderful 101. A certain time is needed to adapt because it is clearly not conventional, but once you get it and put some combos it is a lot fun.
Racing : F-Zero X. Smoothness and responsiveness personified.

PS : That's my first thread here and I'm not english-native so sorry if I'm unclear.
PPS : please avoid answers like "You failed OP, XXX's FPS controls are so much better.", I haven't played every game in history. But I'm interested by your recommendations !

Platinum games (vanquish, MGS Rising, and Bayonetta/2 specifically) have really good controls.
I do wonder if you mean game feel or game control, though.
Uncharted 4 has great controls but it's a bit weak in terms of game feel though it's overall hard to explain.
I thought MGSV was joy to control. It just felt so good to control snake in that game.
MGSV is the pinnacle of 3rd person shooters in that regard. It's mostly just iffy in other aspects

theaface

Olli Olli and Olli Olli 2. Tight controls on two superb 2D skateboarding games. I don't like skateboarding but absolutely loved these.

156893-tuco-tight-tight-tight-gif-Img-YmG0.gif

Peltz

OP, are you me? I feel the same way about all those games.

You need to check out VANQUISH. The controls are just ORGASMIC.

(Rocket League and SM64 are also the first games I thought of).

nkarafo

Sonic 1,2,3 & Knuckles. Responsive, simple and the physics are perfect. So perfect in fact that they even made pinball parts.

Also, by picking F-Zero X (not GX) as the perfect controlled racing game shows you know what you are talking about.

Ossom

Playing MGSV was so good. Playing other games just felt so limited in what I could do.

I echo the other comments regarding Super Meat Boy and Bayonetta.

Rocket League controls very well too. It's so simple and so effective.

Most recent one, definitely titanfall 2. It basically does again what the same devs did with cod 4, ruining a whole generation of shooters because I can't go back.

Currently playing MGS5, and it's great. Only thing it's missing is a dedicated jump button.

Bayonetta (360), FZero X, any of the Forza games, Mario Kart 8, Arkham City, and Doom come to mind recently.

harz-marz

I agree with most games so far, OP has it spot on.

I'd add in mobile games such as Angry Birds & Subway Surfers etc as most kids can relate to the touch controls and play them from an early age with little instructions needed.

Weird that you like great controls and TW101, a game where you change weapon by drawing on a tablet lol.

OP definitely play MGS5, Dying Light and DOOM on PC. Some great controlling games.

orborborb

Nintendoland's Metroid Blast is even better than Splatoon in the control department

seconding N++

and Destiny

and Quake 3 and Doom 2016's multiplayer

also
Motorstorm
Maximo
Kororinpa Marble Mania
Yoshi Touch and Go
Rocket Robot on Wheels
Mario Kart 64
Zelda II, Metroid, and Kid Icarus

Griss

Damn, OP, your list of games made me hard. Those really are some of the greatest games ever when it comes to what I call 'gamefeel'.

And the first two posts nail it: Spelunky and Metal Gear Solid V are two of the greatest games for pure 'control satisfaction' ever made.

pablito

MGSV has its faults, but it's probably the best feeling game I've ever played. I'm praying Death Stranding controls like it.

Syril

Ys Origin: Really tight controls and fast-paced fighting. A rare combination of action RPG and platforming in 3D.

Splatoon. I have been playing games for 25 years, and I'm not sure I've ever experienced a better "game feel".

It's just fun to move around. Simple as that. Luckily, everything else in that game is fun as hell too.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
This is a great thread, OP.

My vote goes to recent gem Hitman - for such a varied game with lots of interactive objects, it streamlines so much of the controls so I always feel like I do what I want to do. Playing at 60fps helps, too.

Shion

I know how you feel, OP.

My recommendations:

2D platformer: Super Meat Boy

Racing: Wave Race 64, OutRun2, Ridge Racer V

2D Action: Shinobi III

RPG: Dark Souls

Arcade: NiGHTS into Dreams

3D platformer : Super Mario 64. The moveset is way more than you need, and that's the beauty of it. You have a full set of possibilities when facing an obstacle. I haven't seen a game like this since.

Might be worth looking into ReCore:
...I have to say that this might be the best 3D platforming I've played in a long time. The design around the platforming sections is absolutely great...

...In terms of controls, I think Recore is excellent... only rivalled by Sunset Overdrive this gen for core movement...

The platforming is an absolute joy. It's precise, epic, tense and exciting. It should get more praise...

Traversal (Platforming) Dungeon 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcv2qyzn-Ek&t=5s
Traversal (Platforming) Dungeon 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zAiM3RqlQC4&t=8s
Traversal (Platforming) Dungeon 3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVQWy_4Zolo&t=8s
Traversal (Platforming) Dungeon 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmkykG2xaFo&t=7s

DarkTom

Thanks every one for your replies.

I have played some of your recommendations like Super Meat Boy which is a great pick.
Other games I agree with you guys :
Splatoon
Waverace
Outrun 2
OlliOlli
Mario Kart 64

James Scott said:
Platinum games (vanquish, MGS Rising, and Bayonetta/2 specifically) have really good controls.
Bayonetta has some quite trash sections control-wise, the second episode is in my backlog so I hope Platinum has improved that.
Vanquish is regularly quoted as awesome control-wise, too bad I have no platform to play it.

pretty done said:
Weird that you like great controls and TW101, a game where you change weapon by drawing on a tablet lol.
You're supposed to make the shapes with the right stick. I like the gamepad but they should not have done the drawing with it on this game to justify it.

raven777 said:
I thought MGSV was joy to control. It just felt so good to control snake in that game.
A lot of people here agree with you.
I played one hour of Ground Zeroes and absolutely hated it. I did not get what I was supposed to do, the map is unreadable. Is Phantom Pain the same ? Also I don't like stealth game especially in TPS-view, can you play the game as a shooter ?

I'll try Spelunky and N++, those seem popular ! Gravity Rush got my interest for a while too. Thanks for the recommendation, keep'em coming !

Shion said:
I know how you feel, OP.
jon bones said:
This is a great thread, OP.
Griss said:
Damn, OP, your list of games made me hard.
Peltz said:
OP, are you me? I feel the same way about all those games.

Thanks guys =) .

EDIT :
Might be worth looking into ReCore:
Sounds great as sounds Ori and the Blind Forest but my PC can't handle it and I don't have Xbox One. Too bad.

Shahed

MGSV in terms of controls movement and animation is far and away better than any third person game I've ever played. Other games palw in comparison.

Shame the rest of the game is subpar. If there wae a way to merge MGSV and Witcher III together you'd have the best game ever made

Was gonna mention Recore but it's already been done and OP doesn't have a good enough PC to play it :(

Shame as for all its faults, and there are more than a couple, the controls are absolutely fantastic. Every time I failed a jump I knew it was 100% my fault and that's extremely rare when it comes to 3D platforming.

Kid Icarus Uprising

Say what you will about the comfort of the control scheme. The touch screen aiming was phenomenal. No matter what weapon type you were using, they all conformed to the three input system: circle pad to move/run/dodge, L to fire and melee, and the touch screen to aim and turn around fast. But the beauty of it was combining the inputs elegantly to form a moveset almost as expansive (yet simple) as Smash. Doing a flick stop on the touch screen to turn around and nail a crafty boss always feels satisfying in KIU.

Top Bottom