• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I love great controls, give me recommendations

My list:

Ninja Gaiden Black
Devil May Cry 3-4
God Hand
Bayonetta
Vanquish
Demon's Souls/Dark Souls/Dark Souls 3/Bloodborne
Dragon's Dogma
Soul Sacrifice

Rayman Origins
Spelunky
Shovel Knight
Volgarr the Viking
Dragon's Crown

Dodonpachi Resurrection
Mushihimesama
Crimzon Clover
Resogun
Geometry Wars

Bayonetta has some quite trash sections control-wise, the second episode is in my backlog so I hope Platinum has improved that.
Hopefully you're talking only about the motorcycle/space harrier sequences. I agree they're kind of gimmicky but outside of that its the best controlling character action game ever made imo. No other action game plays as free and fluid as Bayonetta.

DarkTom

Hopefully you're talking only about the motorcycle/space harrier sequences. I agree they're kind of gimmicky but outside of that its the best controlling character action game ever made imo. No other action game plays as free and fluid as Bayonetta.

Yeah I'm talking of those and some QTE with no clues to know that you are not in a cut-scene like a button prompt or something. Wonderful 101 is better in non-combat sections and QTEs.
The hitbox of some huge bosses is sometimes difficult to understand also.
Besides of that the controls are great of course.

By the way thanks for your contribution.

DieNgamers said:
Racing: Trackmania Nations forever (it's free, too!)

Oh yeah totally awesome, I bought the new Turbo game recently and the double driver mode is way more fun that I thought. Nadeo are great.

Moondrop said:
Wonderful 101 has great controls? Ha.

Ambitious and creative? Sure I'll give you those.

Haha I knew that one would be divisive.

I really enjoyed Furi's controls. Fluid as hell and teleporting all the time from one corner of the screen to the other then immediately attack the boss felt awesome.

Yeah I'm talking of those and some QTE with no clues to know that you are not in a cut-scene like a button prompt or something. Wonderful 101 is better in non-combat sections and QTEs.
The hitbox of some huge bosses is sometimes difficult to understand also.
Besides of that the controls are great of course.

By the way thanks for your contribution.
Oh yeah that's completely sensible. People often don't like the random instant death QTEs either and I tend to agree. The game would probably be better without that stuff, and replaced with more fantastic enemy encounters. I'm going to have to say I'm a fan of the button smashing QTEs for more points though.

Super Mario Run. Not even kidding a little bit. controls better than the NSMB games in my opinion. perfect level design to compliment it too.

Zakalwe

Banned
MGSV is the best recent example. It's possibly the best game I've ever played I'm terms of controls.

Other games offer super precise and perfect control too, but MGSV is the most complex of the best examples I can recall.

Wonderful 101 has great controls? Ha.

Ambitious and creative? Sure I'll give you those.

Not great, Wonderful! :D

For me personally I don't judge controls quality on how immediately intuitive they are. There have been games that I thought were poorly controlled until they clicked and then I saw why they were done that way and loved them because of the gameplay they open up.

Some of my picks going by that mantra:
Wonderful 101
Galak-Z
God Hand

Top Bottom