• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Are you buying Nioh?

I really liked the cave level besides the ground floor of it personally. The hidden paths and stuff was fun to discover

You know what...I just really thought about the level again after reading your comment and it's much more complex than I had vaguely remembered when typing that so I think I need to strike my original comment from the record. I actually thought the floor area was the best part myself and I absolutely loved the tranquil music that kicked in in conjunction with the colors of the stalagmites and so on. It really convinced me that they have the overall theme and 'feel' under firm control and a coherent vision.

xuchu

Oh, abso-fucking-lutely.

I mean, where else can you juggle a boss in the air with shuriken and kunai like you're using Ebony and Ivory from DMC?

Seriously though, I think one influential game that often gets left out of Nioh comparisons (Ninja Gaiden/Dark Souls) is Tenchu. The item/ninjutsu/magic play in this game is absolutely phenomenal and it's a ton of fun using smoke bombs and stealth to get instakills.

Haha, embrace the ninjustsu cheese:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXlm24kBFtU or alternatively https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMrzSrRd7t0

Here's a cool video that showcases the depth of the combat very well.

I wasn't nearly as good at this to figure some of this stuff out within the limit time frame, but I think it'll give people with questions regarding the combat system some nice insight if you didn't get a chance to play either demo. Most of these moves need to be unlocked/purchased in a skill tree menu with what are essentially experience points for each weapon. Obviously this isn't everything that was available but definitely a cool overview of some of the advanced stuff possible:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXDi0AdgXOQ

Minustephen

Neo Member
im really surprised so many people are pumped on it. i thought for sure it'd just go through the ringer as a "souls rip off." if From Software ain't gonna make an "Onimusha-themed" Dark Souls, then let someone else do it, cuz that premise is sweeeeet. Excited to see how it reviews...

Peroroncino

Wait, you have to farm healing items and can;t even keep a surplus?

I'm probably out. Everything else looks great, but fuck that.

You have a set amount that replenishes after visiting a shrine, that amount can be increased via skill tree of course, and you can absolutely have a surplus, but you can't farm 99, surplus is limited.

Just realised I was watching an Alpha video where it said that, did they change it between Alpha and Beta? Sounds like a solid mix between Estus Flasks and Blood Vials. So you could have say 7 that replenish automatically, and the ability to carry 10 around with you?

Also any word on being able to co-op with a specific person?

Peroroncino

Just realised I was watching an Alpha video where it said that, did they change it between Alpha and Beta? Sounds like a solid mix between Estus Flasks and Blood Vials. So you could have say 7 that replenish automatically, and the ability to carry 10 around with you?

Yes, that's the gist of it.

You can play co-op with a friend, I've ran around with couple of my psn friends in the beta, it works very fast and without problems.

It's always in the demos- you have a base number of healing items (3) that is replenishable, and you can get more from enemy loot and environmental pick ups. There is also a way you can up the base number, sort of like estus shards.

So say that you have 3 base healing and you manage to loot up to 10 total. If you die without using a single one, you'll respawn with all 10. If you die after using all your healing, you'll respawn with the base 3 healing items.

Yes you can matchmake specifically with a buddy of your choosing. The co-op mechanics would then be different from random summons. You'll have a new blue bar on your UI, and you and your buddy can revive each other as many times as you need so long as you still have that blue resource up. The trade off is that none of you can use the shrine/save points. When that blue meter runs out both of you lose.

im really surprised so many people are pumped on it. i thought for sure it'd just go through the ringer as a "souls rip off." if From Software ain't gonna make an "Onimusha-themed" Dark Souls, then let someone else do it, cuz that premise is sweeeeet. Excited to see how it reviews...

The Alpha and Beta really helped show that it's actually quite different.

I'd love to but it doesn't look like it's n00b friendly so i'll wait and see how masochistically hard it is before deciding.

Ironically, this game has an actual proper safe tutorial stage where they tell you straight up how to do the basic important things with pop up instructions and example videos.

So in that sense this game is more noob friendly than souls =p

Ironically, this game has an actual proper safe tutorial stage where they tell you straight up how to do the basic important things with pop up instructions and example videos.

So in that sense this game is more noob friendly than souls =p

Yeah, there's a full-on Dojo stage you can fuck around in with non-aggro enemies and so on that was implemented in the Beta. I assume this will be quite expanded and I also think you can return to that level whenever you feel like it to learn more (or that's the impression I got from the map screen?)

Drewfonse

Yeah, there's a full-on Dojo stage you can fuck around in with non-aggro enemies and so on that was implemented in the Beta. I assume this will be quite expanded and I also think you can return to that level whenever you feel like it to learn more (or that's the impression I got from the map screen?)

This game is sounding better and better. I'm kind of glad that I didn't have a chance to play the Alpha or Beta. I have this weird feeling that I'm going to adore the shit out of Nioh.

Just to clarify, because I really don't know very much about Nioh, the game has distinct stages to choose from, right? And each can be played on regular or hard difficulty? Can I assume that you can replay earlier stages ad infinitum to get stronger?

Just to clarify, because I really don't know very much about Nioh, the game has distinct stages to choose from, right? And each can be played on regular or hard difficulty? Can I assume that you can replay earlier stages ad infinitum to get stronger?

Correct. There is a regular version of a stage and then a twilight version that replaces most of the regular enemies with tougher yokai. You can play through them as many times as you want.

I wonder how they are going to spread the kodama out through the missions.

Drewfonse

Correct. There is a regular version of a stage and then a twilight version that replaces most of the regular enemies with tougher yokai. You can play through them as many times as you want.

After reading a Game Informer hands on, it seems as though you can battle the ghosts of other fallen players, and win their equipment. Sounds amazing.

I wonder how many stages this will have?

This game is sounding better and better. I'm kind of glad that I didn't have a chance to play the Alpha or Beta. I have this weird feeling that I'm going to adore the shit out of Nioh.

Yes, if you've ever played the original Tenchu (PSX), it's a map system like that and even looks like it in terms of design quite a bit, nice touch for me as a big Tenchu fan.

The stages are distinct and have a little story attached to them as in 'this is what you're currently on your way to and that's why you're here'. The load screens give you an atmospheric little background paragraph about the area which I also thought was a nice touch.

Twilight versions of each stage can be unlocked but I can't remember if it's right after you beat it once or after a certain amount of other progression. Twilight versions have different enemy types, enemy placements, this koto-playing monk character that basically functions like the bell maiden in Bloodborne, higher rewards and apparently the bosses have been given new attacks according to the Beta feedback log.

You can replay whatever stages you want as much as you want to farm or co-op or whatever, yeah.

EDIT: Also, Twilight versions all have a red haze effect to them to separate them from the regular versions. And yeah, you can battle the ghosts from red bloodstains (I mean that's what they are) for their loot. A little menu pops up showing what the character was carrying so you can choose if you want to go through the trouble.

xuchu

After reading this article

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/nioh/b/playstation4/archive/2016/09/17/hands-on-with-nioh-at-tgs-

it seems as though you can battle th4 ghosts of other fallen players, and win their equipment. Sounds amazing.

Yes this was present in both the alpha and beta. They are called revenants. There will be graves you can interact with, similar to bloodstains in souls, which summons player revenants. I believe you gain a random piece of loot from them. In twilight missions there was an enemy that auto summoned revenants.

Drewfonse

Yes, if you've ever played the original Tenchu (PSX), it's a map system like that and even looks like it in terms of design quite a bit, nice touch for me as a big Tenchu fan.

The stages are distinct and have a little story attached to them as in 'this is what you're currently on your way to and that's why you're here'. The load screens give you an atmospheric little background paragraph about the area which I also thought was a nice touch.

Twilight versions of each stage can be unlocked but I can't remember if it's right after you beat it once or after a certain amount of other progression. Twilight versions have different enemy types, enemy placements, this koto-playing monk character that basically functions like the bell maiden in Bloodborne, higher rewards and apparently the bosses have been given new attacks according to the Beta feedback log.

You can replay whatever stages you want as much as you want to farm or co-op or whatever, yeah.

Beautiful, thanks. I love only becoming hyped for a game right before it comes out.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
I feel like this is gonna be like in Souls games where I'm gonna replay the shit out of it with different builds.

Too bad you can't create your own character. I don't care much about the story, so I wouldn't mind sacrificing that to just get a character creator. Ah well. At least Samurai Geralt looks cool enough.

I feel like this is gonna be like in Souls games where I'm gonna replay the shit out of it with different builds.

Too bad you can't create your own character. I don't care much about the story, so I wouldn't mind sacrificing that to just get a character creator. Ah well. At least Samurai Geralt looks cool enough.

Well, there are the other character skins at least.

I like William though, especially that accent.

Baalzebup

One funny aspect of William being a baka Gaijin with zero understanding of Japanese upon arrival is his inexplicable mastery of Kenjutsu and other decidedly Japanese/Asian styles of fighting, even outside of him learning Ninjutsu and Onmyodou and picking up more advanced techniques and such via the mastery points. I guess he is a natural :)

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
One funny aspect of William being a baka Gaijin with zero understanding of Japanese upon arrival is his inexplicable mastery of Kenjutsu and other decidedly Japanese/Asian styles of fighting, even outside of him learning Ninjutsu and Onmyodou and picking up more advanced techniques and such via the mastery points. I guess he is a natural :)

Read up on William he is pretty much history's first major Weeaboo :p

Baalzebup

Read up on William he is pretty much history's first major Weeaboo :p
I'm well familiar with Miura Anjin, as I became interested on the subject due to this game. The thing is, even if he did eventually end up setting in properly, it didn't even start out as an option as all indications are that Tokugawa Iyeasu just plain told him that he will enter service under him and going home was not an option. The weeb was poured into the guy by having him stay there. Dude had a family back in England and going by the letters and money he sent them, he didn't exactly leave them by choice.

Menitta

I did not know about this lol. Ya know what fuck it. This game is upgrading to day 1 status.

Allonym

There should be more tampons in gaming
Got both Mark of the Conqueror promotional completion bonuses so I very much am looking forward to the game. Horizon is the only game that I'm looking forward to more.

After reading a Game Informer hands on, it seems as though you can battle the ghosts of other fallen players, and win their equipment. Sounds amazing.

Correct- One of the ways to earn loot is to summon and fight these "Revenants" for a chance to earn their equipment. Before summoning them you can see what type of gear they have and their rarity. Remember that these are NPCs controlled characters not the actual players themselves.

My guess is they'll have 20 unique stages. The reason why I think so is because in an early interview with the developer they said there would be 20 main story missions, and so I'm taking one map for one main mission.

BigEmil

Okolonans

Neo Member
I'm treating it like a Souls game. That means I pre-ordered it and I'm ignoring new trailers, info, etc. so I can go in blind. The gameplay I saw looked really good to me and I love the Souls game, so it's a no-brainer for me.

I'm treating it like a Souls game. That means I pre-ordered it and I'm ignoring new trailers, info, etc. so I can go in blind. The gameplay I saw looked really good to me and I love the Souls game, so it's a no-brainer for me.

Well it's not entirely like a Souls game, but the basic elements where it is not would be covered in the tutorial stage so at least try that out when you get the game so as you won't feel lost.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I'm well familiar with Miura Anjin, as I became interested on the subject due to this game. The thing is, even if he did eventually end up setting in properly, it didn't even start out as an option as all indications are that Tokugawa Iyeasu just plain told him that he will enter service under him and going home was not an option. The weeb was poured into the guy by having him stay there. Dude had a family back in England and going by the letters and money he sent them, he didn't exactly leave them by choice.

Oh I know it's just fun to poke fun at the fact he didn't want to stay in western style hotels when he had the choice haha

TreIII

If the ongoing manga is anything to go by...

William is pretty much able to pick up these types of skills because of him already being a pretty capable warrior with a high degree of spiritual power that can soak up amrita. This would at least partially explains why he's able to learn these skills because he's pretty much soaking up the memories/skills of the Sengoku era's dead.

In the manga, this doubled as a convenient device that allowed him to speak Japanese, too, but the game doesn't have that.

Baalzebup

Oh I know it's just fun to poke fun at the fact he didn't want to stay in western style hotels when he had the choice haha
I'll admit that was a funny detail about him being well and truly assimilated by the country he lived in.
If the ongoing manga is anything to go by...

William is pretty much able to pick up these types of skills because of him already being a pretty capable warrior with a high degree of spiritual power that can soak up amrita. This would at least partially explains why he's able to learn these skills because he's pretty much soaking up the memories/skills of the Sengoku era's dead.

In the manga, this doubled as a convenient device that allowed him to speak Japanese, too, but the game doesn't have that.
Heh, I really don't mind the details and having that kind of explanation does make it more plausible. I'm merely amused by the image of a nearly shipwrecked Englishman, likely trained in a very different kind of swordplay and footwork back home, coming to the shores of Japan,picking up a low-quality Katana and starting to immeditely cut up fools like a born samurai, swordplay, footwork and all.

Capra

Well, I always wait for impressions of the finished product before pulling the trigger, but all signs are pointing firmly to yes.

A tough-as-nails character action Souls-like steeped in Japanese mythology? Sounds like my kind of game!

Top Bottom