• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch hits 25m players

Budi

Did they count me? I've played beta and free weekends but haven't bought the game.

Bobby ‏@Noct0wl
@PlayOverwatch 25 million players yet still no-one on the payload

Chuckled at this.

Ray Down

Banned
Blizzard right now:

moneyfight.gif

FinKL

Longest I wait on pc and console in the U.K. is a couple of minutes, it's usually seconds though, what region and mode is it?

NA-US West PC. I'm only level 24 too, so I don't think its my MMR (at least I dont think im bottom of the barrel or hot stuff). This is QM and even "most popular" arcade brawls. I have no idea whats up. Turning into my Heroes of the Storm matches where 5minutes is waiting for a suitable match

Apathy

Now if only finding a game didn't take 5 minutes

also would love to see some breakdowns by region and by platform, would be cool

BigEmil

Best FPS this gen.
Yet it still takes 2 minutes to find a game on PS4.
What region you from and what mode do you play? In UK it takes me roughly around DS 10 secs most of the time to find a match it's super quick in quick play. Tried the new flag mode yesterday too and it was fast didn't take me more than 30 sec max on PS4

NA-US West PC. I'm only level 24 too, so I don't think its my MMR (at least I dont think im bottom of the barrel or hot stuff). This is QM and even "most popular" arcade brawls. I have no idea whats up. Turning into my Heroes of the Storm matches where 5minutes is waiting for a suitable match

Quick play is the slowest mode for me and sometimes takes a few minutes, the brawls and competitive are usually really quicken though.

I gave up on hots due to weirdly long wait times and a few other issues, this hasn't got nearly as bad as that yet thankfully!

PepperedHam

Guess it varies for everyone on the matchmaking front because even at the odd 7am in the morning (NA-East, PS4) I was getting into Quick Play matches in like 40 seconds tops. Maybe my skill rating is like, piss tier and I'm getting matched with all of the 20 odd million who don't know how to read the word objective though, could be the case.

I was actually remarking to a friend actually that (and again this is from my own personal experience) I've been impressed with how the matchmaking times have seemed to remain consistent since launch on console. They've done a great job with this game on all three platforms and I'm glad because it's easily my favorite shooter to play with friends since Halo 2.

I've never been so engrossed in an FPS, much less an online ONLY FPS, until Overwatch came along. What an awesome game. I went from "What the heck is this? I don't care" to trying the Beta and immediately it clicked with me. One of my favorite games now.

Maximus.

Lots of owners. Hard to believe that many people who have purchased the game regularly play. Play on PS4 and it takes a while half the time to find a match. A lot of my friends play this game, so it's fun to have a party of 3-6 people and work together. Great game and Blizzard keeps delivering.

Vlaphor

Excellent. More people for me to freeze in place, then launch an icicle into their head.

That's right. Welcome to Mei's house of murder. Go ahead and crowd around the objective, just makes it easier for my ultimate to do its thing.

Did I just hear "Nerf this", "molten core", "got you in my sights", "die die die", or "high noon"? One ice wall later and you got nothing! Hahahahah

kirblar

I own the game but too intimidated to actually try playing it. :< I suck at fps games, lol
The game is deliberately set up with characters with low skill floors for FPS newbies, as well as characters who effectively play a completely different game. (Pharah's been described as a tribute to QUAKE.) It's fantastic. One of my friend's kids had never played an FPS before and was able to pick it up super easily.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
I own the game but too intimidated to actually try playing it. :< I suck at fps games, lol

I suck too, but OW is not hardcore like Counter Strike, also if you have awful aim like me you can do well with support characters like my bae Mercy.
Of course, props to Blizzard for the 25 million players!

Hell, im gonna play some right now!

Is this active players, total sales, or just the number of Battle.net accounts that registered the game? Because if it's the latter, it's including things like free weekends and Internet cafes.

I'd be interested in seeing active players, but iirc Blizzard stopped releasing those numbers for their games a while ago.

Now if only I didn't continually get matchmaking with children and noobs, that number might be great.

They need to weed out the hacks that play competitive but are barely half-decent players.

That and a better reporting/block system that actually works.

NimbusD

Quick play has some tryhards but is generally just bsing around. It's fun there's character where you don't need great aim, just try to build game sense, as in knowing what's going on, who to focus on, and when to run away. Then also maybe ult and ability management but that's the next step.

It's fun even if you aren't great

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
Yeah on Xbox games can take 3-4 minutes to find, sometimes only to be immediately reinstinced. Kind of baffling considering how popular it is.

jax

Banned
Cool, maybe now that they've hit this milestone they can focus on fixing matchmaking opponents so I don't just get killed and rank down every single time I try to play ranked.

Edit: also further punishment of quitters

Rocketz

Yeah on Xbox games can take 3-4 minutes to find, sometimes only to be immediately reinstinced. Kind of baffling considering how popular it is.

I only run into this on Xbox when I'm in a big group since it's trying to find a group to match against. Solo queue is under a minute a majority of the time for me at least. If not a fresh search seems to help out.

RexNovis

Banned
Not surprised but the slightest with the way it's caught in Asia. In fact I expect to see this continue to grow in the coming years as more and more esports enthusiasm grows for the game in Asia.

As an aside, does anyone else remembers that thread where people were berating and laughing at me for extrapolating Beta participation/figures from the Division and Overwatch to show how Overwatch would have a much larger active player base than the former? Fun times.

Foxxsoxx

That is incredible numbers. Along with others here I can't tell if the matchmaking is just super strict skill based or just not nearly that many people play on PS4 because as a level 79 I'm constantly matched with 200-1000s with 1-3 minute load times in NA.

I'm pretty good at the game but not top tier by any means so I have no idea if it's skill based matchmaking aggressively making load times longer than I'd like.

the game doesnt require much in the way of execution skill. the majoirty of the game is point and click shit. look in the general vicinity of someone and you can never have accuracy below 50%

RevenWolf

Now if only I didn't continually get matchmaking with children and noobs, that number might be great.

They need to weed out the hacks that play competitive but are barely half-decent players.

That and a better reporting/block system that actually works.

To be fair matchmaking generally puts you with people of similar skill level, and calling teammates noobs is usually a red flag about ones own skill level.

And by weed out the "hacks" I'm not sure if you mean hackers or hacks as in talentless, if it's the former, wedding out hackers is always great, if it's the latter, I'd remind you get placed with people of similar skill generally.

On topic: hooray love the game and congratulations to blizzard!

well earned

this is what happens when you make a great unique game, thank you blizzard

tumblr_nsmxfqI3bd1qkko3bo1_400.gif

Really well made game, I guess the Christmas sale pushed them over the 25 mil mark, I myself was one of them. I've been playing most nights, watching pro players and compilations..started reading the comics too, it's definitely got it's hooks into me.

kuYuri

Despite its faults and my own frustrations with it, it's still tons of fun and I like it. It's the only other shooter I go back to. Now if only I had a consistent, friendly group to play with and more time on my hands.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
And still we have these RNG, time limited loot boxes that never seem to spit out the skins you want no matter how many you open.

/salty

Top Bottom