• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Overwatch hits 25m players

I imagine it looks like PC > PS4 > XB1

haha sure. i'm more interested in % split and how big the pc lead over total console would be.

afaik the only spilt we ever got was about 50% player in the west and 50% player in the east
not sure if that was just for the battle.net version, or including console

IISANDERII

I'm the 25th million player, I just got it during the PSN sale.

I'm using Reinholdt so I can help my team with shields.

nynt9

This game deserves so much more criticism than it gets. Anaemic af.

Those 25 million sheeple! You sure showed them!

They keep adding more content and constantly rebalancing heroes, and there are many interactions to be had between different heroes. I have hundreds of hours in the game and I keep encountering new situations. Try harder.

Those 25 million sheeple! You sure showed them!

They keep adding more content and constantly rebalancing heroes, and there are many interactions to be had between different heroes. I have hundreds of hours in the game and I keep encountering new situations. Try harder.

Don't put words in my mouth, it's pathetic.

I could give a shit about what they plan on adding. The state the game was in for months after launch was sorely wanting for content. Things have improved recently with new game modes but it's still nowhere near where it ought to be, and if it weren't for the game's popularity it wouldn't have gotten the passes that it did.

PepperedHam

I could give a shit about what they plan on adding. The state the game was in for months after launch was sorely wanting for content. Things have improved recently with new game modes but it's still nowhere near where it ought to be, and if it weren't for the game's popularity it wouldn't have gotten the passes that it did.
Where does it ought to be by your barometer? I always hear people rip online only games for not having enough content, and in some cases they're correct, but Overwatch has a lot for the player to learn when it comes to map knowledge and learning the roster of heroes.

People always talk about Blizzard and their reputation earning them a free pass when they're forgetting that people aren't afraid to rip Blizzard's ass apart when they put out an anemic product and the state of vanilla Diablo 3 proved that. If Overwatch was as anemic as you say then the community would have reflected that.

Assanova

It is fun, but boy do I hate dying. I do not like having to hike clear across the map before seeing another enemy player. The game could also use more maps. Fun game, but still can't quite figure out why so many people are calling it game of the year.

I feel like a crazy person when I tell people I really dislike Overwatch. I play a lot of shooters, and to me I just get so bored while I play it (even if I'm doing good in the match). The only times I enjoy myself in the game are when I'm playing with friends, but even then I still get bored fairly quickly. I love blizzard and recognize that it's a well-made game, I'm just surprised that it has become so successful.

To be fair matchmaking generally puts you with people of similar skill level, and calling teammates noobs is usually a red flag about ones own skill level.

And by weed out the "hacks" I'm not sure if you mean hackers or hacks as in talentless, if it's the former, wedding out hackers is always great, if it's the latter, I'd remind you get placed with people of similar skill generally.
Not exactly, Just because they have a good skill rating with one character doesn't equate to them being good with another. A good Mercy player doesn't make for a good Hanzo or Reinhardt. It's one point but there's a few.

For example just last night, I had 2 different people literally throw games last night (killing themselves by jumping off the maps) and I am punished for it with a loss affecting my skill level. Their want to ruin other players doesn't reflect my skill level. Blizzard need to implement proper safeguards against people like this. Again blocking/reporting features that work.

Also, they need to sort an algorithm for people play the objective or with kills/heals and not just winning/losing. When you are a decent player with decent game stats but a bad win/loss ratio because players don't play an objective, the game feels like a waste of time.

Overwatch might have the numbers but it also needs the fairness and mix competitors up more. I shouldn't be stuck with a mix of the same players for 3 rounds straight.

Zasa

Well deserved, & a one of a kind FPS. GOTY by miles for me & will be playing it for years to come no doubt. Can't wait for the eSports scene to grow even bigger & really give this game the legs it's capable of, competitive wise.

A true 'modern classic', & will go down as one of the greats.

Quonny

I feel like a crazy person when I tell people I really dislike Overwatch. I play a lot of shooters, and to me I just get so bored while I play it (even if I'm doing good in the match). The only times I enjoy myself in the game are when I'm playing with friends, but even then I still get bored fairly quickly. I love blizzard and recognize that it's a well-made game, I'm just surprised that it has become so successful.
You're not alone, but I can see why it's so successful. It takes ideas behind games like Dota and League, puts it in an attractive package with a good art style and waifus/husbandos, and changes the gameplay enough to make it appeal to a more casual crowd with familiar FPS mechanics and goals.

Blizzard is so good at taking ideas from other companies and making an extremely tight and well-presented package. That takes skill, and rightfully is rewarded.

It is fun, but boy do I hate dying. I do not like having to hike clear across the map before seeing another enemy player. The game could also use more maps. Fun game, but still can't quite figure out why so many people are calling it game of the year.

Because we feel it's the best game last year. Pretty self-explanatory.

If it weren't for the games popularity, it wouldn't have gotten the passes that it did. Huh. It's weird how everything in that sentence fails to make any sense.

I can't help but agree with you though. The game probably would have done way better with 10 more MP maps that no one would remember, a single-player campaign that will follow roughly the same plotline for every sequel, and a Zombies game mode.

Sym is only for people with extreme skill.

H7vljHu.gif

jax

Banned
I don't know. It seems like this game is straight up broken. Matchmaking with randoms always puts me against people 300 higher than me, people quit nearly every other match which totally throws off the entire balance, I see people clearly using aimbot and actually gloating about it.

Is having a full team on voice the only way to play this game and actually grow in rank?

The only reason I even say this is because I dont remember ever losing this often, I used to be like 60% wins, now its like 20% ... 60% when I was higher rank btw.

Top Bottom