• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

e90Mark

For a price range of around $450 USD

is the Dell Gaming S2417DG YNY1D 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC the best I can do at 1440p Gsync or is there some other monitor out there that would be better in my range. IPS or TN doesn't matter, already have an IPS that I use for design work. I've heard great things about Gsync and really need a monitor that has a really low input latency, minimal refresh rate, and at the very least 120-144hz.

Brand new, yes.

Dave_6

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

The 27" Dell 1440p/144fps G Sync monitor is on sale at Best Buy again. Use Visa Checkout to bring it to $475.

I bought this last time it was this cheap and absolutely love it.

Bought one of these today. Anxious to get home and get it hooked up then experience G-Sync for the first time! I am expecting to have to turn settings down in some games though since my PC is still only a 3570K and a 970.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Bought one of these today. Anxious to get home and get it hooked up then experience G-Sync for the first time! I am expecting to have to turn settings down in some games though since my PC is still only a 3570K and a 970.

Nice, its a great monitor. When I first got it I was using a
970 and most games were fine. 👍

Make sure you dick around with the settings a bit. The default settings are weird as hell. I think the settings I ended up using are from the top rated customer review on Amazon.

I look forward to getting that same 27" Dell. I ordered it directly from Dell on December 30th and it is still not expected to get here until Feb. 4 which SUCKS but I will survive.

Dave_6

Nice, its a great monitor. When I first got it I was using a
970 and most games were fine. 👍

Make sure you dick around with the settings a bit. The default settings are weird as hell. I think the settings I ended up using are from the top rated customer review on Amazon.

Thanks. I used the settings posted in that review and it doesn't feel like it's burning my eyeballs anymore. My other monitor is a Asus VG248QE and I was (and still am I guess) using a custom color profile for it but it looks too bright/blown out compared to this Dell now.

Fireflu

Been eyeing the Acer Predator XB241H for months now but hear troubling things in regard to backlight bleed. Iv'e recently been through a batch of about 6 monitors that all exhibited terrible backlight bleed (along with other issues). £380-£400+ is a hell of a lot of money to spend on something that comes with glaring visual defects... Any one else here own a XB241H and care to vouch for it?

Also regarding it's panel, depending on where you check it lists it as IPS or TN. I can't seem to get a confirmation on which one it is. Currently I am under the impression its some kind of pseudo hybrid IPS TN panel (is that even possible!).

Anyway this appears to be one of the cheaper 144hz gsync displays around at the moment and after recently witnessing the miracle that is 144hz in person my interest has piqued.

cwistofu

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-27-led-gsync-monitor-black/5293502.p?skuId=5293502

The 27" Dell 1440p/144fps G Sync monitor is on sale at Best Buy again. Use Visa Checkout to bring it to $475.

I bought this last time it was this cheap and absolutely love it.

I grabbed one of these and it should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll be making the jump from 1080p/60Hz to 1440p/144Hz + gsync. I'm half expecting my eyes to melt from the glory.

Just for clarification, Rise of the Tomb Raider at max settings gives my 1070 a bit of a hard time at Geothermal Valley, with occasional dips as low as 48fps on my 1080p/60hz monitor. Am I correct in understanding that if I was using a gsync monitor, I'd be able to keep max settings and basically feel like I'm playing at 60fps (or 144fps, whatever) even with the drops?

Or will I have to noticeably tone down ROTR's settings now that I'm making the jump to 1440p and 144hz, even with gsync?

This is surprising to me. Your card should handle that game like a champion.

It rocks it most of the time. It has slight drops to 48-55 when I'm running around Geothermal Valley, but other times it'll maintain 60fps when I'm running back the same area. I dunno.

scoobs

I grabbed one of these and it should be here Thursday or Friday. I'll be making the jump from 1080p/60Hz to 1440p/144Hz + gsync. I'm half expecting my eyes to melt from the glory.

Just for clarification, Rise of the Tomb Raider at max settings gives my 1070 a bit of a hard time at Geothermal Valley, with occasional dips as low as 48fps on my 1080p/60hz monitor. Am I correct in understanding that if I was using a gsync monitor, I'd be able to keep max settings and basically feel like I'm playing at 60fps (or 144fps, whatever) even with the drops?

Or will I have to noticeably tone down ROTR's settings now that I'm making the jump to 1440p and 144hz, even with gsync?

This is surprising to me. Your card should handle that game like a champion.

Vipu

Banned

It rocks it most of the time. It has slight drops to 48-55 when I'm running around Geothermal Valley, but other times it'll maintain 60fps when I'm running back the same area. I dunno.

There is something wrong if you have that bad fps with that res and gfx card.
No gsync doesnt make game feel like its 60fps or 144 if its 40. It just removes tearing and stutters.

Dave_6

I booted up Rise of the Tomb Raider late last night to see how it looked and ran on my new monitor. I left the settings alone that were getting me 60+ fps at 1080p (my rig is a 3570K and a 970). At the very beginning of the Russian installation area I'm now getting mid to low 30s where at 1080p I was 60 fps or above, lol. G-Sync did seem to help and make it not feel as bad as you would think but it was still easy to tell it was running at a low fps. Unfortunately the bad aliasing in all the trees is much more noticeable now at 1440p. Guess a new GPU will be needed sooner rather than later :p

Wollan

And to answer the OP:
It [G-Sync] totally blows me away. With the way things currently run, almost every frame is either late or missed. It's taken my Q6600/750ti/4GB setup and made it feel relevant again. I'm not even really sure why I'm building a new system anymore.

If Sony were smart, they'll have this or FreeSync in the PS5 and future gaming TVs.

Shit, if they're really lucky, they'll be able to add FreeSync to the PS4 and release a series of Gaming TVs.

Holy Fuck.

It hasn't been mentioned in this thread yet but HDMI 2.1 got announced at CES and it will feature variable refresh rates (and 120hz 4K) : http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1330650
It will start rolling out in 2018.

I suspect Nvidia will adopt HDMI 2.1 a couple of years down the line even if that means that the proprietary G-SYNC won't be their only avenue anymore.

Pakoe

I posted this in the "I need a new PC" thread, but didn't get any response.
Is getting a good 27" 1440p 144hz monitor with an IPS panel impossible?
I keep seeing people complaining about dead pixels, backlight bleed etc. I don't want to keep returning it, in hopes of finally hitting the lottery jackpot.
I'm currently using a TN panel 144hz monitor, so if an IPS is impossible, I can stick with TN.
Anyone with a monitor with these specs that can pitch in some info for me? Would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone with a monitor with these specs that can pitch in some info for me? Would be greatly appreciated.

I have an Acer XB271HU, no issues. That said, no one can promise you the 100% quality assurance angle you're looking for--you'll have to look at the statistical sampling on e.g. Newegg and gauge your comfort level.

laxu

I posted this in the "I need a new PC" thread, but didn't get any response.

If you already have a TN display with 144 Hz G-Sync it's most likely an 8-bit model so only thing you would gain with IPS is better viewing angles and maybe higher gamut depending on the model. Not worth it, I would wait for 4K 144 Hz or get an ultrawide if that appeals to you.

Pakoe

I have an Acer XB271HU, no issues. That said, no one can promise you the 100% quality assurance angle you're looking for--you'll have to look at the statistical sampling on e.g. Newegg and gauge your comfort level.

I wanted to check out some monitors in stores, but unfortunately most stores here don't sell 144hz monitors.

If you already have a TN display with 144 Hz G-Sync it's most likely an 8-bit model so only thing you would gain with IPS is better viewing angles and maybe higher gamut depending on the model. Not worth it, I would wait for 4K 144 Hz or get an ultrawide if that appeals to you.

Thank you! This is really helpful, I'm probably gonna hold out now.

cwistofu

There is something wrong if you have that bad fps with that res and gfx card.
No gsync doesnt make game feel like its 60fps or 144 if its 40. It just removes tearing and stutters.
Hm, that's mildly worrying, I'll have to figure out what's going on.

To go back to my first line of questions, if I'm able to run a game at 1440p at ~71fps average, am I good using a 144hz refresh with gsync on or should I lower it to something else?

I wanted to check out some monitors in stores, but unfortunately most stores here don't sell 144hz monitors.

Well if you're in New England you can stop by and check it out ;).

Thank you! This is really helpful, I'm probably gonna hold out now.

FWIW we also have the Dell TN panel G-Sync monitor here in the office, and I find the color on it really atrocious compared to my Acer IPS panel, which is why I bought that instead for my home use.

Vipu

Banned
Hm, that's mildly worrying, I'll have to figure out what's going on.

To go back to my first line of questions, if I'm able to run a game at 1440p at ~71fps average, am I good using a 144hz refresh with gsync on or should I lower it to something else?

Lower what to something else? You dont need to lower hz or something.

Pakoe

Well if you're in New England you can stop by and check it out ;).

FWIW we also have the Dell TN panel G-Sync monitor here in the office, and I find the color on it really atrocious compared to my Acer IPS panel, which is why I bought that instead for my home use.

I probably would if i could lol, unfortunately I'm living in The Netherlands.
I heard about the TN panels being horrible compared to IPS, hence my reasoning for switching to IPS.
Tough choice really. I really want a 1440p monitor with my upcoming upgrade, but can't stand 60hz anymore.

I thought I'd pop in here and share my experience with a G-Sync monitor: the Asus PG279Q.

I purchased a re-certified model from newegg for $600. It came with no physical blemishes and the panel has minimal BLB.

+Colors are good
+OSD is good
+Both PS4@1080p and PS3@720p are excellent. The Nier:A demo looked fine scaled to not standard resolution, and Tekken Tag 2 was extremely responsive. I would recommend this monitor to a console gamer & competitive gamer.
+Video content is good.

This is an excellent console gaming and content monitor.

Despite all of the good. I'm sending this thing back. Because it its not a good web browsing or Lightboost gaming monitor.

-IPS glow. GAF Dark sucks now. Thanks to binocular human vision, you can look at a spot with bad glow with one eye, but not see it from the slightly different angle in the other eye. It's annoying. I hope all the people who have slighted TN for off-color angles don't sing IPSs praises, because glow is worse, with a much narrower sweet spot... that gets worse the lower your brightness goes... which compounds with another problem this monitor has...

-The backlight in the PG279Q is really, really underpowered. This monitor has a reasonable brightness under normal/overclocking conditions, but not under ULMB conditions. You have no choice but to max out the brightness AND PWM function to reach a decently comfortable and readable viewing level. Which puts the panel blur to higher levels than the $175 VG248QE sitting next to it on my desk (set to 10%).

-TestUFO reveals all. The killer: this monitor has extremely noticeable crosstalk with ULMB enabled. This is what it looks like through a 1000fps camera, not bad right? Now imagine this little guy and his shadow friends being 2-3x more intense in person: a much brighter pinkish tone on the that second ghost, and a heavy gray on ghost 3. Oh my god its terrible. Go to the UFO test with the black background. Imagine a second ghost right behind the first one with 60% of the opacity. Ugh. Now go to the moving photo test. You see that red thing bottom right? Imagine a solid, dull blue outline overlapping the edges of the whole thing for like 2cm to the right. Like red/blue 3D glasses level shit that ruins the color of the picture. ffffffffffffuuuuuuuucckkkkkk. I could go on.

"Well hey bro that's just benchmarks. You can't see that shit while gaming, video watching, or console gaming, right? Why does it matter?"

-Because reading white text on a black backround is a very real world example. The leftover blur and crosstalk mesh together to make an ungodly combination of visual fuckery on GAF Dark Theme when scrolling. It also exposes the inconsistent response times across the panel. Sometimes the ghost words go away fast, sometimes slow, sometimes there's more smear, other times there's more ghosting. Its nauseating. It's even worse when you turn off ULMB (but that goes for any LCD monitor, really).

The VG248QE is imperfect as all hell, and it does have minimal cross-talk/ghosting. But its a night and day difference compared to the 279q. Scrolling text on GAF Dark is a dream on that thing, even with the bad panel uniformity in the corner :)

This really kills any interest in I had in an 1440p IPS gaming monitor, especially the ones with the same AUO panel (the Acers'). The only hope seems to be the hyper expensive one with the 384-locally dimming backlight. The 278q is not an option either as its backlight is only slightly more powerful and it has a higher input lag (~2ms more) and overall more end user lag, despite having a lower response time than the 279q.

I have now set my sights on the Asus ROG Swift PG258Q. 1080p, TN, 24in? Ew, right?
Guess what? Linus confirmed that its the first G-Sync monitor to break the 120hz ULMB limitation. A full 240hz ULMB mode is possible. If this thing cross-talks like the VG248QE w/LB or better, has lower or the same input lag/response time/overall lag, and has an adequate backlight, it could be the ultimate monitor for ULMB/Lightboost fans (who are tolerant of the drawbacks of TN :^X ).

"But, what about the G-sync part of this G-sync monitor???" Well...

Vipu

Banned
-IPS glow. GAF Dark sucks now. Thanks to binocular human vision, you can look at a spot with bad glow with one eye, but not see it from the slightly different angle in the other eye. It's annoying. I hope all the people who have slighted TN for off-color angles don't sing IPSs praises, because glow is worse, with a much narrower sweet spot... that gets worse the lower your brightness goes... which compounds with another problem this monitor has...

I would always pick a bit of glow instead of terrible color shifts.
At least ips glow can be fixed a bit by not using the screen in totally dark room but color shifting cant be fixed.

I would always pick a bit of glow instead of terrible color shifts.
At least ips glow can be fixed a bit by not using the screen in totally dark room but color shifting cant be fixed.

What you don't seem to understand is that this was a compounding issue that could not be fixed. This monitor was flawed by design. It was not 'a bit'. It was all over the monitor, at least 60% of the view, regardless of how I angled my positioning while sitting at keyboard length. The backlight was puny with ULMB on, the IPS glow showed through right in the center of my vision in a bright room even with bright colored content. The glow also slightly differed for each eye. This was incredibly distracting. The only real way to fix it was to sit back 4.5 ft from the monitor. Also, don't sit in a dark room? So...don't use it at night without a lamp/ceiling light...while others are trying to sleep? Not realistic. If TN shift is a bruising, then glow is a knife wound.

I now realize why the thing didn't support 3D vision while the 278q does: the brightness requirement must not have been up to specification. Which should have also disqualified it from ULMB support, since both techniques function similarly at a base level.

That thing is in the mail now, btw. $90 restocking fee and $22 shipping label :X

inner-G

Banned
For a price range of around $450 USD

is the Dell Gaming S2417DG YNY1D 24-Inch Screen LED-Lit Monitor with G-SYNC the best I can do at 1440p Gsync or is there some other monitor out there that would be better in my range. IPS or TN doesn't matter, already have an IPS that I use for design work. I've heard great things about Gsync and really need a monitor that has a really low input latency, minimal refresh rate, and at the very least 120-144hz.
the 27" version (s2716dg) has been near that price before

I thought I'd pop in here and share my experience with a G-Sync monitor: the Asus PG279Q.

I purchased a re-certified model from newegg for $600. It came with no physical blemishes and the panel has minimal BLB.

+Colors are good
+OSD is good
+Both PS4@1080p and PS3@720p are excellent. The Nier:A demo looked fine scaled to not standard resolution, and Tekken Tag 2 was extremely responsive. I would recommend this monitor to a console gamer & competitive gamer.
+Video content is good.

[/URL]
question hoes do this thing take the images of 1080p for example does it scale this internally?

Vipu

Banned
What you don't seem to understand is that this was a compounding issue that could not be fixed. This monitor was flawed by design. It was not 'a bit'. It was all over the monitor, at least 60% of the view, regardless of how I angled my positioning while sitting at keyboard length. The backlight was puny with ULMB on, the IPS glow showed through right in the center of my vision in a bright room even with bright colored content. The glow also slightly differed for each eye. This was incredibly distracting. The only real way to fix it was to sit back 4.5 ft from the monitor. Also, don't sit in a dark room? So...don't use it at night without a lamp/ceiling light...while others are trying to sleep? Not realistic. If TN shift is a bruising, then glow is a knife wound.

I now realize why the thing didn't support 3D vision while the 278q does: the brightness requirement must not have been up to specification. Which should have also disqualified it from ULMB support, since both techniques function similarly at a base level.

That thing is in the mail now, btw. $90 restocking fee and $22 shipping label :X

So it was just defective then?

riflen

question hoes do this thing take the images of 1080p for example does it scale this internally?

No G-Sync display can scale the input as there's no scalar hardware in the display. G-Sync displays are designed to always be used with a GPU. The GPU should be configured to handle the scaling.

No G-Sync display can scale the input as there's no scalar hardware in the display. G-Sync displays are designed to always be used with a GPU. The GPU should be configured to handle the scaling.

sorry I should have better quoted. I was referring to how does it scale for example 1080 from ps4 input.

[/URL]

Sorry question should have been: how does this thing take the images of 1080p for example does it scale this internally for consoles?

This is what I should have quoted. i was asking about how does the ps4 scales from 1080p to the monitor since the monitor is 1440p

So it was just defective then?

It was working as designed. The monitor just wasn't very well designed for ULMB, just 165hz overclocking and G-sync. I sent it back because I was dissatisfied with the performance metrics I cared the most about.

As an addition: Before receiving the monitor, it was hard (impossible) to discern the difference between backlight bleed and IPS glow over pictures posted on reviews. After spending a week and a half with the PG279q, the distinction is very obvious. The refurb panel I received had a very little amount (but a bit concentrated) bleed in the bottom left corner, and a slightly larger area (but less concentrated) than that in the top right. IPS glow is supposed to be an inherent drawback to the tech that doesn't depend on manufacturer QA variance, rather the viewing angle and distance. Plus, extreme angles still darkened/lightened the contrast of the screen, just not to the highly noticeable 'negative photo coloring' effect of a TN panel.

My settings in the Nvidia control panel are set to GPU scaling.

Also had no scaling problems with PS4 or PS3. It scales pretty nicely, but it will be obvious that the source output is at a lower resolution than the monitor.

Also, I'm pretty sure that the PS4 Pro will treat 1440p screens like 1080p ones and not 4k panels, you'll have to ask an owner about that. Tekken Tag 2, Nier:A, FFXV:Duscae, and Gravity Rush 2 all looked really nice and were very responsive. Look up the TFT Central review on the monitor, the input lag is insanely low. Linus Tech tips said in his review that the 60hz HDMI input lag rating was outstanding.

Is there any reason to get a 144hz g-sync monitor, if you're always above 150 fps?

Yes.. you OC the monitor to 165hz (which many monitors do right in the monitor menu) and limit your games to 163fps and enjoy the benefits of gaming with gsync instead of vsync. If you're pushing to have your framerates consistently that high, then it's very likely you'll appreciate the reduction in input lag.

Not to mention your general desktop experience will be MUCH better. Your mouse will feel more snappy and precise than ever before.. and you'll realize how much a 60hz monitor lags, even in general browsing and desktop use.

Durante

I personally don't care nearly as much about the "testufo metric" as I do about many other aspects of image quality, but by far the best testufo I've ever seen on any of my output devices is on a 120 Hz DLP projector. Something to be said for display technology that isn't sample-and-hold and has basically no transition artifacts at all.

Vipu

Banned
Yes.. you OC the monitor to 165hz (which many monitors do right in the monitor menu) and limit your games to 163fps and enjoy the benefits of gaming with gsync instead of vsync. If you're pushing to have your framerates consistently that high, then it's very likely you'll appreciate the reduction in input lag.

Not to mention your general desktop experience will be MUCH better. Your mouse will feel more snappy and precise than ever before.. and you'll realize how much a 60hz monitor lags, even in general browsing and desktop use.

I think its more about the gsync than 144hz he asks?
If he always have 150fps+ then there is no reason to have gsync.

I read about people capping their FPS a tad lower than their max refresh but I'm wondering if it's actually necessary for borderless windowed games.

I run all my games in borderless windowed mode when I can and I noticed that with G-sync enabled the frame rate will be capped automatically to just below the desktop refresh rate without using any other programs. My frame rate in Overwatch and other games caps to 119.4 according to Afterburner and I'm curious if this is different to manually capping it.

I personally don't care nearly as much about the "testufo metric" as I do about many other aspects of image quality, but by far the best testufo I've ever seen on any of my output devices is on a 120 Hz DLP projector. Something to be said for display technology that isn't sample-and-hold and has basically no transition artifacts at all.

Understandable, they are tailored to specific use cases. Still, they clearly showed that the underwhelming performance of the monitor in ULMB mode (as well as the built in side effects of IPS tech in general) was affecting the specific image quality specs I care so much about. I couldn't really "unsee" that stuff, and browsing a ton of GAF Dark was like a giant magnifying glass of IPS glow and smear.

Switching back to my (hugely mixed bag) VG248qe really drove home how much the 279q really bothered me despite how kickass the thing was in nearly everything else.

Also jelly that I can't logistically use something like your DLP in my setup. Sounds amazing. TFT central said on twitter the other day that they have a PG258Q in house and a review is coming in a few weeks. I really hope its good enough for me.

Skyzard

Banned
You know how turning on v-sync (without g-sync) adds input lag.

Does the same happen with g-sync?

Is it mitigated with higher fps?

ghibli99

I'm this close to buying this gsync monitor. Is this a good one?

I'm torn, $500 seems like so much for a monitor. I'd also be replacing two monitors and just going with this one. I do have a 1070 and a 6700k, so I should be able to push it right?
I'd say a 1070 is better suited for 1080p HFR. Pretty sure you need to dial down detail settings quite a bit at 1440p if you want to make the most out of that 144Hz, depending on what you're playing.

j-wood

I'd say a 1070 is better suited for 1080p HFR. Pretty sure you need to dial down detail settings quite a bit at 1440p if you want to make the most out of that 144Hz, depending on what you're playing.

Did you mean HDR instead of HFR? I don't have my computer hooked up to a TV, so HDR doesn't seem to be an option right now.

Top Bottom