• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

G-Sync is the god-level gaming upgrade.

IPS has colours that completely destroy anything TN panels are capable of. My secondary monitor is a TN panel, and compared to my main IPS panel it's looks complete shit.

The ips glow is really only noticable if you're either actively looking for it, or you're playing through a dark area and have time to look around.

Obivously it's a matter of what is most important for you, great colours or a bit of ips glow when the screen is dark. But I will never use a TN panel as a main monitor again.

I can see the glow everywhere!! When you see it you just cant unsee!!!! I cant use IPS because of this.

Nokterian

Looks like i am buying a asus gsync monitor with some money i made and some money i will get from my parents as in a early birthday present.

Can someone tell how it will hold up with my gtx 970? any good?

Melkaz

Looks like i am buying a asus gsync monitor with some money i made and some money i will get from my parents as in a early birthday present.

Can someone tell how it will hold up with my gtx 970? any good?

I've been running on a gtx 970 with my Asus 1440p G-sync monitor, it still holds up pretty well. I see no reason to upgrade just yet. Can't see myself spending 450 euro for a 1070 just yet. I'm hoping that the 1100 generation gets released somewhere in 2017.

The only bad experience so far has been the bad port of Forza Horizon 3, not even gsync could save it for me. But in the end all the other games that I played this year were fine, you won't hit 165hz cap in modern games but gsync helps a lot for those <60 fps games.

I finally got my replacement Dell S2716DG after my original one arrived with a cracked screen.

Going from 1080/60 to 1440/144 is a game changer. The difference in smoothness and clarity is staggering.
I just played a bit of Overwatch and it looked beautiful.

Sickbean

I finally got my replacement Dell S2716DG after my original one arrived with a cracked screen.

Going from 1080/60 to 1440/144 is a game changer. The difference in smoothness and clarity is staggering.

Amen.

I recently got the 24" version of the same monitor (still 1440p/144Hz). Doom feels unbelievable to play. The image just looks so much more solid for want of a better word.

Water

IPS's poor contrast and glow is its major flaw. After using VA panel with almost 5000:1 contrast ratio and amazing black levels for gaming and movies for years, I can't look at IPS any more, it's just not suitable for that. IPS is great for graphical color critical work, there's not denying that, but when I had IPS monitor I dreaded every time I had to play a dark level in a game.

Even if you have no glow on the IPS panel, and a mostly well-lit game scene, the contrast and black level just isn't there for the little bits of the image that are supposed to be dark. The whole end result appears dull to my eyes. I've seen the high end IPS gaming panels, 100Hz ultrawide G-Sync and 144+Hz 16:9, and they really aren't that interesting when "black" is light gray. I hope 2017 finally brings a display that improves upon the FG2421 (resolution, G-Sync, ...) and doesn't significantly lose to it in any spec. Anything with that kind of black level is probably gonna have HDR standards support as well.

Nokterian

So i just got my Acer Predator XB271H.

Played some World of Warcraft and Battlefield 1..it just blew my mind on how well everything runs now..no more stuttering, no more tearing it is beautiful!

So damn happy with it!! :D

Sojiro84

Neo Member
Can confirm. I got a G-Sync around 3 months ago to tide me over with my 760 until I get the 1080 TI and it was better then expected.

No more stutters or tearing, even games with fluctuating FPS feel smooth. I can even play Diablo at 1080 with settings on high, with frames around 40/60 (outside 30/50) but it still feels good.

Defo a worthy investment. Downside is that you know notice tearing or stuttering more on non G-Sync monitors.

I myself got the ROG PG248Q. Was one of the cheaper ones. Still great screen with 144Hz, 180 also possible but then the colors take a turn for the worse.

I am kind of getting annoyed with my 21:9 monitor. Little things in a bunch of games or programs that have added up I guess.

SO! What's like the top tier 4K GSync monitor as of now? I was hoping for something in the 30in range at least since I am coming from an ultra wide 34 inch. But any recommendations would be great.

Can we expect anything new and refreshing at CES or would it be safe to pull the trigger now?

Vuze

I am kind of getting annoyed with my 21:9 monitor. Little things in a bunch of games or programs that have added up I guess.

SO! What's like the top tier 4K GSync monitor as of now? I was hoping for something in the 30in range at least since I am coming from an ultra wide 34 inch. But any recommendations would be great.

Can we expect anything new and refreshing at CES or would it be safe to pull the trigger now?
CES is right around the corner, might as well wait the two or three weeks.
I'm sure we'll see more about the 4K high refresh displays and HDR.

matmanx1

I'm enjoying my Asus PG248Q 1080p G-Sync monitor. The performance is excellent although it is a step down from the color and vibrancy of the Sony Bravia TV I have hooked up next to it. For an entry level G Sync monitor it is quite excellent.

I can see the glow everywhere!! When you see it you just cant unsee!!!! I cant use IPS because of this.

Mine is only very little in the bottom right and I only notice it in a loading screen with all the lights off. It destroys my previous monitor in every other aspect completely. Well worth my money.

M0G

My first IPS monitor was my Asus XB271HK and the glow was awful, a constant distraction and it amazed me that a technology like this could be sold and accepted by people. I returned it and had exactly the same issue with the replacement.

So I decided to lump it and a few months later I looked back at the saga and wondered why I even cared. I got used to it and forgot that the glow was even a thing. Just my opinion but I think it might be worth sticking it out because I wouldn't go back to a TN panel now and yeah IPS colours are awesome.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
so i thought my question would be better suited here:

the PG278QR is a 165Hz monitor. is 165hz where the monitor works best or do I also get all the benefits on lower rates? OR to put it simple: Does a 165Hz monitor perform as well at 144Hz as a native 144Hz monitor would? Or at 120Hz and 60 compared to native 120 and 60Hz displays?
you know, like with resolution. a 1440p monitor is techincally better but a FHD display usually looks better when the resolution is FHD. Is this the same for Hz or does it not matter?

muetimueti

Neo Member
I can only provide my anecdotal experience, which is that I didn't notice any issues at all when I tried setting my 144Hz display to 120Hz.

My first IPS monitor was my Asus XB271HK and the glow was awful, a constant distraction and it amazed me that a technology like this could be sold and accepted by people. I returned it and had exactly the same issue with the replacement.

So I decided to lump it and a few months later I looked back at the saga and wondered why I even cared. I got used to it and forgot that the glow was even a thing. Just my opinion but I think it might be worth sticking it out because I wouldn't go back to a TN panel now and yeah IPS colours are awesome.

Some of the better quality IPS monitors with better QC (I.e. Dell ultrasharp) have very minimal glow. My Dell U2414H only has slight glow in a few corners, but the overall black level of the panel for an LED/LCD is really great. Better than my previous Asus TN panel for sure.

My Dell IPS also came with factory sRGB calibration that was quite good. Definitely improved when calibrated with my xrite colorimeter.

For me IPS is so superior in color and gamma that there's no way I can use a TN again. Still waiting for affordable Gsync IPS monitors. They are still too expensive for me to jump in.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
There shouldn't be a difference in image quality if that's what you mean.

But why would you use a lower refresh rate?

no its not that i want, its just at some point my PC cant sustain a constant 165fps.
And as ive understood it, Gsync lowers the refresh rate of the monitor according to the fps the gpu delivers.

Maxim726X

I got this monitor for 299 last week from MS... Haven't hooked it up just yet.

What's the general consensus? I've never played anything in 144 or with G-Sync. I have a 970.

I got this monitor for 299 last week from MS... Haven't hooked it up just yet.

What's the general consensus? I've never played anything in 144 or with G-Sync. I have a 970.

Its a great monitor for the price. You are going to see a big difference in terms of smoothness and responsiveness.
I have a 970 too and I will have to upgrade soon though. Needs some more power to push those higher FPS at that resolution.

Will I ever be able to buy a 4K, HDR monitor with G-Sync? I know LG is about to tick two of those boxes, but the third (G-Sync, of course) is the most important! At least until the 1180, I guess...

Danneee

How long do you keep laptops? G-Sync could potentially save you from having to upgrade sooner.

That's what I'm thinking. Now I'm facing the dilemma of getting a nice, slim laptop with a 120hz screen and a 1060 (MSI GS73VR) or something else with G-Sync.

I have absolutely no experience with either G-Sync or higher than 60hz displays (don't really remember how playing on a fat screen was heh).

Any opinions here?

That's what I'm thinking. Now I'm facing the dilemma of getting a nice, slim laptop with a 120hz screen and a 1060 (MSI GS73VR) or something else with G-Sync.

I have absolutely no experience with either G-Sync or higher than 60hz displays (don't really remember how playing on a fat screen was heh).

Any opinions here?

Note that gSync on laptops hits battery hard. gSync does not work with graphic switching, so you run the discrete at all times. If battery life is important to you, I highly recommend not getting a laptop with gSync.

Danneee

Note that gSync on laptops hits battery hard. gSync does not work with graphic switching, so you run the discrete at all times. If battery life is important to you, I highly recommend not getting a laptop with gSync.

Battery life not really that important, I'm mostly trying to justify getting a 120hz (It's unlikely that a 1060 is going to run any newer games at a locked 120fps though) screen over a 60hz with g-sync. Do a 120hz screen give any advantages over a 60hz one at 60pfs?

Swig_

I'm having a lot of trouble with GSync and Overwatch in Borderless Window mode. It works great in most games, but Overwatch really struggles. Is there a way to fix this? I have a high end machine with a 6500K and a 1080. 16GB RAM.

MartyStu

So I am looking to buy an ultrawide to replace my dual-monitor setup for both gaming and work.

Do I gain anything with high refresh rate or GSYNC if tearing does not bother me all that much?

Swig_

So I am looking to buy an ultrawide to replace my dual-monitor setup for both gaming and work.

Do I gain anything with high refresh rate or GSYNC if tearing does not bother me all that much?

I'm not sure gsync is worth the money. It's nice, for sure, but unless you have cash to blow you might be better off getting a high refresh rate without gsync.

If possible, find a way to see for yourself in person before making a choice.

Ocho

I'm having a lot of trouble with GSync and Overwatch in Borderless Window mode. It works great in most games, but Overwatch really struggles. Is there a way to fix this? I have a high end machine with a 6500K and a 1080. 16GB RAM.

What do you mean by struggles? Does it cap to like 25 fps?

Switch from borderless -> fullscreen -> borderless to fix.

Swig_

What do you mean by struggles? Does it cap to like 25 fps?

Switch from borderless -> fullscreen -> borderless to fix.

I haven't look at the frame rate, but that's probably what it is.

I'll try that. I noticed that today I was messing with it and I got bordeless window to work well. Next time it happens, I'lll switch back and forth.

inner-G

Banned
Ugh got an S2716DG today and it had a dead pixel

Exchanged it at Best Buy, and the second one also has a stuck pixel, this one closer to the middle :(

Other than that, holy shit - gsync is all it's cracked up to be.

Any tips/tricks I should know for games like Skyrim that need to run at 60/30fps for reasons?

renzolama

Finally got to setup the Acer XB241h I bought myself for Christmas last month. I can confirm god-level gaming upgrade status. Playing Doom and Shadow Warrior 2 at 140 fps with no input latency and no tearing is the FPS experience I've been waiting twenty years for.

Edit: Playing Doom and Shadow Warrior 2 at 140 fps with no input latency and no tearing with my new Logitech G900 is the FPS experience I've been waiting twenty years for.

epmode

The little G-Sync incompatibility issues are confusing. No matter what I do, I can't get Life is Strange to work with G-Sync. If I turn in-game vsync off, the game tears like crazy even though my monitor says G-Sync is enabled (I set it for both full-screen and windowed).

Thankfully, the game runs well enough with vsync enabled that I don't mind.

inner-G

Banned
Ordered my Gysnc monitor this morning! What do I do with Vsync? Turn it off in the game options or what?
Enable and configure g-sync in nVidia control panel

Enable vsync for the game in control panel, but disable vsync in-game

I finally got a good panel on a S2716DG. Colors are a tad milder than my IPS but holy shit, the framerate. I didn't realize what a difference it would make. Everything just feels 'immediate' when you do it.

Mechazawa

Question for those in the know: Are there any negative repercussions associated with overclocking a monitor?

My 24 inch Dell arrived today and it's advertised as being 165hz. My gut instinct is to take that as Dell encouraging people to use it at that refresh rate, especially since the "overclocking" is just a setting to toggle on in the OSD. But I want to make sure I'm not inadvertently shortening the lifespan of the monitor or something by doing that.

XBP

I finally got a good panel on a S2716DG. Colors are a tad milder than my IPS but holy shit, the framerate. I didn't realize what a difference it would make. Everything just feels 'immediate' when you do it.

This isn't really necessary anymore. The only time you'll need to enable vsync is if your frame rate is going above the monitor's refresh rate.

A better solution is to cap your frame rate a couple of frames below the monitor's refresh rate. Tests have shown that this helps a lot with input lag while gsync is enabled.

Why disable in game and enable in control panel instead?

renzolama

Why disable in game and enable in control panel instead?

Here are some actual setup guides / explanations of the gsync/vsync settings that better answer your question:

http://www.howtogeek.com/270672/how-to-enable-optimize-and-tweak-nvidia-g-sync/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3xmwd8/gsync_vsync_onoff_how_about_ingame_vsync/
https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/3cya4n/just_bought_a_gsync_monitor_vsync_on_or_off_in_3d/

The gist of it is that once you have gsync enabled the vsync options are handled differently by NCP than they are by in-game settings. NCP knows that you want to use gsync as your primary frame handler and only adds vsync if your frame count exceeds the maximum refresh rate for your monitor (144 -180hz for most gsync monitors). The in-game vsync settings might have gsync-ignorant implementations that don't respect that prioritization and therefore cause problems with gsync.

I simply left the NCP setting at "Use 3D application setting" and turned off vsync in-game, and my experience has been that everything works 95% of the time without any further tweaking necessary. However, I'm only driving a 1080p gysnc monitor with a GTX 1060, so I'm almost never exceeding the 144hz capability of my monitor. YMMV if you have a stronger GPU driving higher framerates.

Just got a new gsync monitor and upgraded to windows 10. Games are running in borderless windowed mode, which iiuc is disabling gsync.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a dx12 issue? Any workarounds to get full screen exclusive mode?

epmode

Just got a new gsync monitor and upgraded to windows 10. Games are running in borderless windowed mode, which iiuc is disabling gsync.

Am I doing something wrong? Is this a dx12 issue? Any workarounds to get full screen exclusive mode?

Nvidia drivers have had an option for windowed games to run in G-Sync for a long while now. I don't think it's enabled by default though.

Nvidia drivers have had an option for windowed games to run in G-Sync for a long while now. I don't think it's enabled by default though.

Is full screen exclusive gone in dx12 or something? I set my game to full screen but all it does is maximize the window

Top Bottom