• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SuperEyepatchWolf - Why You Should Watch Samurai Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manbig

Just watched it with my friends earlier. As someone that never really watched Samurai Jack beyond one or two episodes, he does a great job at making me want to go back and watch it.

This guy's video essays always make me wanna go back and watch whatever he's talking about though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Its one of the best thing's Genndy has ever created and one of the most cinematic cartoons ever made. A brilliant fusion of incredible visuals, music, editing and minimalism.

Its one of the best thing's Genndy has ever created and one of the most cinematic cartoons ever made. A brilliant fusion of incredible visuals, music, editing and minimalism.

It's THE best thing Genndy's done, period. Other than that adjustment, I agree with this 100%. Samurai Jack is an absolute masterwork.

Tizoc

It's THE best thing Genndy's done, period. Other than that adjustment, I agree with this 100%. Samurai Jack is an absolute masterwork.

Season 1 has a lot of the same premise of Jack looking for a way to go back to the past but failing to, however.

I have no doubt in my mind that season 5 will live up to the hype. The conclusion has been a concept that Genndy has been trying to get off the ground for years.

Not only will it be immensely satisfying, but I strongly believe it will be one of the most emotional finales for a cartoon series period.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I'm catching up. Still on Season 2. I'm sure I can make it to next week.

Moaradin

Went through the series a few weeks ago and it absolutely holds up. It's even better now than it was when I was a kid. Really looking forward to Season 5 now.

I wonder why there was no mention of the Powerpuff Girls in this video.

Sure, PPG was Craig McCraken's creation, but Genndy was still involved in directing a fair share of episodes and you can clearly see the genesis of many of Samurai Jack's stylistic flourishes in PPG.

Aspect ratio changes, split screen, slow-mo, phenomenal sound design (seriously, Genndy's use of sound in all of his projects is impeccable), and a myriad of other small touches can be traced back to PPG.

Thanks. Perfect, might have to check out One Punch Man and Psycho-Pass as well since they're on there too. His videos made those sound very interesting

He really does a good job of sounding passionate about what he's talking about in his videos.
Yeah, I had heard Samurai Jack and remember seeing an episode or two when I was a kid, but that video made it sound amazing. And it looks amazing. I got into comics a few years ago, and began learning more about cinematography in film a while back, so the artistry on display in the clips here is just incredible. Even if the story and other aspects hadn't already sold me on the show, that art would have

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
Shit, it's tomorrow?

Hm, try to catch up with several seasons of a cartoon I haven't watched in more than a decade or just jump right in what I can still remember...

5 minutes in and the animation and cinematography has completely won me over.

Swoon~

Wait there are people that didn't know about Samurai Jack?! o_O

The single greatest moment in the series for me has always been
the black and white duel between Jack and the Black Ninja.

Sojgat

Greatest animated show ever.

I thought a fifth season would never come. Wasn't there a plan to end it as a movie at one point?

Xe4

Banned
This video really hit the nail on the head. There really is nothing else like it, animated or otherwise, and it's incredible that we're finally going to see it finish.

What a masterpiece those first four (and hopefully fifth) seasons were.

I'm sold after just five minutes. Appreciate the video was made, I did find it a little confusing why so many were hyped about series five when I had heard so little praise for the series previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom