• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - 1 year!

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Hooray! What a year it has been. We are all older, wiser and closer to death. One year. It has been one year since the world changed forever. Probably the biggest event of 2016 and perhaps this century. On this day, one year ago, it was that Zack Snyder released his latest effort. The best superhero (Batman) had returned, accompanied by arguably the second biggest superhero (Wonder Woman). Not to mention brief cameos by Aquaman holding his breath, Cyborg and Flash. Oh, and given the title you'd expect Superman to show up. Sadly, it was just to get butts in the theaters. We did have a bald, murderous, cardboard cutout of a Greek God who flew around in a blue suit with a red cape trying to kill the people of Metropolis by flooding it with his tears.

Casting!

Lemme just put this here

FidZknJ.gif

The reviews!

Ahh, how could we forget? The (in)famous RT thread. Props to the mods. DC fans on SS watch.

Dash_Riprock lost by 2 posts, it damaged him beyond repair. Now he sees Zack everywhere he goes. Anyway, 27% isn't that bad if you don't count the hundreds of critics who got paid by Disney.

Aftermath

Eaaasy there, WB said. And not only them. This movie changed things. For good. You people wanted to go back to how things were, but WB knew better. There was no going back. You see, to them this was just a freak incident.

- Charles Roven got booted
- Shake-up at WB/DC, Geoff Johns got a new title and isn't allowed to sleep anymore.
- Goyer, who got booted to TV land, is now back doing GL! No lies. Look it up.
- Flash lost it's 16th director in a row now.

So, was this movie really that bad? Or was it the masterpiece the likes of Kubrick and co couldn't even understand? Is Zack truly on a level of his own? Does he understand?

Cinematography

Fong da gawd put some nice stuff in there. Best looking CBM? Best looking CBM.

3QNwlcV.jpg

The soundtrack

Ohhh, the beauty.

Nothing

But

Pure

Genius

!

Marvel am cry.

Story

So, a lot of the complaints were that the story made no goddamn sense along with some of the character motivations. Here it is explained. SEE:

luthorsplan_sm.jpg

Pfft, wasn't so hard now was it? We all know what drives Batman and Superman.

Martha

110.jpg

Martha Wayne>>>>>>Kent

Come on now.

The man behind the camera

CeQrWvGW8AAQZRH.jpg

Killer Madman

So, you don't like the fact that Batman suddenly kills fools left and right? Snyder has a perfectly logical explanation. You see, YouTube had a video of Batman killing. So there.

I tried to do it in a technical way. There's a great YouTube video that shows all the kills in the Christopher Nolan movies even though we would perceive them as movies where he doesn't kill anyone. I think there's 42 potential kills that Batman does! Also, it goes back and includes even the Tim Burton Batman movies where this reputation as a guy that doesn't kill comes from.

So, I tried to do it by proxy. Shoot the car they're in, the car blows up or the grenade would go off in the guy's hand, or when he shoots the tank and the guy pretty much lights the tank [himself]. I perceive it as him not killing directly, but if the bad guy's are associated with a thing that happens to blow up, he would say that that's not really my problem.

A little more like manslaughter than murder, although I would say that in the Frank Miller comic book that I reference, he kills all the time. There's a scene from the graphic novel where he busts through a wall, takes the guy's machine gun...I took that little vignette from a scene in The Dark Knight Returns, and at the end of that, he shoots the guy right between the eyes with the machine gun. One shot. Of course, I went to the gas tank, and all of the guys I work with were like, ‘You've gotta shoot him in the head' because they're all comic book dorks, and I was like, ‘I'm not gonna be the guy that does that!'

So, what did you think? How did this movie impact your life? What new insights has Zaddy given you? What valuable lessons are to be learned from this? You think Marvel is your ally?

That review thread is still the greatest GAF thread I've ever been a part of.
The review and spoiler thread were absolute highlights of my time on GAF as well. I was so lucky to have seen the film early to get to participate in that. The sheer incredulity of some posters when it was revealed that a major plot point in the movie revolved around
a jar of piss
was incredible.

I fucking love this movie.

The theatrical release had weird editing and pacing issues, but the extended edition remedied that. The movie is just so fucking great.

tomtom94

I still remember the oment I woke up and first saw the Rotten Tomatoes percentage at 32% and thought "oh, that's a bit bad. But at least it won't get any lower."

CryptiK

The only things good about this movie were:
-The Batsuit
-The Batmobile(Sans the minigun)
-And the Warehouse fight scene(sans the killing)

It was pretty cool getting to see the advance fan screening before the embargo lifted. Staying up til maybe 3am talking to other gaffers who saw it was an interesting experience, if only because everyone's reaction was pretty much "Did that really just happen?"

Sephzilla

The best part of the movie was that it ended.

This movie was insultingly stupid at times and annoyingly pretentious at other times

eizarus

Banned
Nowhere near as bad as some of the reviews made it out to be.

Theatrical Cut was shit compared to the Extended Ultimate Brotastic Edition.

Cavill > Reeves (in reality though I'd probably put it as Reeves > Cavill >>>>> Routh)

Affleck > All Batmen before (come on, don't kid yourself GAF)

Irons = Caine

Eisenberg was shit though. Fingers crossed Lex Sr replaces him, aka Brian Cranston.

Superman > Batman

Come at me GAF. I aint afraid of you!

Eidan

The Dark Knight trilogy are the best looking comic book movies. And they have the added perk of actually being good movies.

jviggy43

Cavill > Reeves (in reality though I'd probably put it as Reeves > Cavill >>>>> Routh)

Irons = Caine

Eisenberg was shit though. Fingers crossed Lex Sr replaces him, aka Brian Cranston.

Superman > Batman

The Extended cut narrative is just as funny to me as the review threads.

border

I went in to this movie generally optimistic, not having read any reviews or seen Man of Steel.

I think it actually starts out pretty strong. The introduction of Batman is good, the destruction of Metropolis is interesting to see from a ground level and Wayne's perspective. The banter between Wayne and Clark Kent is fun (no wonder it seemed to be the centerpiece of the film's marketing).

Once we get into Senate investigations and piss jar I was kind of uneasy and not sure where the film was headed. Then the Flash shows up from some kind of bizarre post-apocalyptic future to warn Batman about, uhhhh, something. I think at that moment it's clear that the movie is way off the rails. Later on Wonder Woman sits down at a computer and watches some trailers for upcoming DC movies, one by one. At this point it dawns on you that this is not an ambitious project that got away from someone talented, but just a work of utter incompetence.

Sephzilla

Irons = Caine

Superman > Batman

batman-the-animated-series-voiced-by-kevin-conroy.jpg

jrush64

Banned
I loved BvS theatrical edition. I loved the Ultimate Edition even more, my favorite comic book movie last year. I wish It had lighter tone and it wasn't so dark and dreary but that didn't stop my enjoyment of the movie.

I loved the BvS fight and the ending fight with Doomsday was even better. The Martha scene was also great but could have been executed better.

Looking forward to Justice League and Wonder Woman.

best superhero movie between the years 2015-2016

such a mess of plotting. but wow, such beautiful visuals. dat bruce nihilism, the first half actually managed to do interesting things with a comic book universe and it's place in reality until shit got dumb.

not for the kids though. its too mean spirited and is basically "all your heroes are shit"

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Terrible movie. Eisenberg as Lex Luthor is one of the worst casting choices of all time.

I hate to say this, but he was the reason I couldn't finish watching. I will force myself to watch it eventually but when I tried I just had to turn it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom